• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump’s Son Met With Russian Lawyer After Being Promised Damaging Info on Clinton

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
How is this legal? How is this administration allowed to continue? I don't understand why the GOP won't remove Trump and install Pence. They can still get what they want done with him.

Get rid of Trump before its too late.
They like being in power and too many of their voters are still on the Trump train.

Although it's really not letting them accomplish as much as they hoped, thank goodness.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Right. I've said repeatedly that they should try to force his resignation by charging and prosecuting family members and close associates. Everyone but Trump can be indicted and tried at the federal and/or state level. And he can't pardon state-level charges.
This is interesting. Whenever the idea of prosecuting Trump comes up, people always go nah, Congress will never impeach him. But Mueller can go after anyone else and Congress isn't required to do anything? Is that correct? If so, you're totally right, they need to go hard after everyone around him.

Jombie

Unbelievable. In a sane world, this horror of a White House would be on the way out.

This isn't a grey area, it's fucking collusion. They're traitors.

Zolo

How is this legal? How is this administration allowed to continue? I don't understand why the GOP won't remove Trump and install Pence. They can still get what they want done with him.

Nixon laid it out.

"Well, when the president does it, that means it is not illegal"

Otnopolit

I don't think so, no. His other tweets all indicate that his point is that with the increase of stories that confirm more and more people close to Trump, both in his campaign group and his own family, the less and less believable it is that Trump could have possibly ever not known that his people were working with the Russians.

I see now, thanks for clearing that up! Jr's statement is all kinds of insane.

Ovid

What's the evidence? I read the article and didn't see anything presented

There isn't any "evidence" in the article, however, I believe these two quotes are the most important lines:

The accounts of the meeting represent the first public indication that at least some in the campaign were willing to accept Russian help.

It is unclear whether the Russian lawyer, Natalia Veselnitskaya, actually produced the promised compromising information about Mrs. Clinton. But the people interviewed by The Times about the meeting said the expectation was that she would do so.

If she did indeed produce the info about Hillary to the Trump campaign, then we have a smoking gun.

Yesterday's article hints that Manafort has flipped

I'm sure Manafort has been flipped, the man really has no good options left. Since we're having fun with timelines:

August 14: Paul Manafort is revealed to funnel millions in undisclosed lobbying money on behalf of Russian interests (following an expose of his cash rewards from the Ukrainian puppet regime he served.)

August 17: Trump receives his first classified intelligence briefing and hears about direct links between the Kremlin and efforts to undermine the Clinton campaign.

August 19: Manafort is fired by Trump.

We could of course assume Trump was very discreet and circumspect with what he was told on August 17... but then we remember he is Trump.

Shauni

Nah, not really. Trump still has a solid base that, at this point, the fever is still rolling. Getting rid of him now is going to cause a nasty backlash that they will feel in primaries, either through outright losses or being primaried out to other GOPs. They had their chance in the beginning to get rid of him, weather the fallout, and then move on with Pence, but they hitched their wagon to him and they have to let him drag with them until the yoke breaks.

Chris Hays probably said it best on his show at the end of last week. Right now there's a very fragile ecosystem they have built. Trump is the lynch pin that is keeping it all working by keeping his base energized and getting the less extreme GOP support, even if it's on shaky ground. Once that lynch pin is pulled, the whole thing explodes, and any hope they have of really getting anything at all done by midterms is basically shattered. Pence would be even more of a lame duck, if he even is the one who succeeds Trump (who really knows since the Russia stuff is so deep).

I mean, yeah, if they cared about decency or our democratic institutions, they would just weather it, but if they did, they would have gotten rid of the minute he refused to let go ownership of his hotels.

Zolo

Because their base would murder them. It's pretty simple.

This is why I honestly still figure Trump will have a 4 full years short of hard video/audio evidence or something worse than we're even thinking. We're still at a point where Trump has probably about a 75-80% support from Republicans.

This is interesting. Whenever the idea of prosecuting Trump comes up, people always go nah, Congress will never impeach him. But Mueller can go after anyone else and Congress isn't required to do anything? Is that correct? If so, you're totally right, they need to go hard after everyone around him.
Yes. You only need Congress to go after Trump because it's generally accepted that you can't indict a sitting president. There are no such protections for anyone else and Mueller has full prosecutorial discretion to charge whoever he needs to. Trump could pardon or even pre-emptively pardon anyone of federal charges, but nothing afaik would stop Mueller from passing on info he uncovers to states so they could pursue state charges.

I know it's childish, but why don't the Dems brand Trump like Trump brands all of them? "Benedict Donald", "Russian Donald", "Traitor Trump". If Trump were in the Dems' spot, that's what he'd do. As stupid as they are, the nicknames stick with the masses.

Because you know those evil republicans will say "dems being childish, name calling blah blah blah" all the while acting completely oblivious to the horrible names fuhrer tiny hands has called people in the past.

RPGCrazied

Timeline: Don Jr meets Russian lawyer on June 9. Wikileaks dumps DNC emails July 22. Trump asks Russia to dump HRC's on July 25.

Its getting smoky in here.

There isn't any "evidence" in the article, however, I believe these two quotes are the most important lines:

If she did indeed produce the info about Hillary to the Trump campaign, then we have a smoking gun.

That's nothing for a REPUBLICAN controlled house to impeach Trump, I'm not saying there wasn't collusion, I'm saying all these stories have been labeled as "the smoking gun" but without hard evidence I doubt much will come from this

Hmmm it seems like everyone around Trump was all working with Russia....I'm sure Trump was completely ignorant of these dealings!
Yeah, there's no way that someone with Trump's moral fiber would ever stoop so low as to make a deal to acquire Russian hacking dirt to damage Clinton and the Democrats.

Its surely just a coincidence that everybody in his inner circle had so many secret contacts associated with Russian intelligence during the campaign.

And even if everyone in his circle was doing it, they've all shown themselves to work together as the tightest and most competent of tight knit units that it'd be easy to keep all of that from touching their boss. They're just that professional and disciplined.

And even if Trump did collude, hell, even if it was his own idea, there's no crime there, so people should just move on. Fox News understands this, unlike the fake news mainstream Democratic printing press machine.

Did I cover everything? Good.

Loxley

FKzY2UN.jpg

Surfinn

So a nothing burger as of now?
Absolutely not a nothing burger. Just another piece to the puzzle that will be used to prosecute Trump and co.

Basically the opposite of a nothing burger. If this gets confirmed with evidence/proof, it's even bigger of a deal.

thill1985

Banned
What’s the evidence? I read the article and didn’t see anything presented

...you post this, yet you somehow managed to miss the part where they noted the evidence.

"Mr. Manafort and Mr. Kushner only recently disclosed the meeting, though not its content, in confidential government documents described to The New York Times."

That's the evidence. Legal papers likely disclosed when Manafort was forced to register under FARA. The Times was told about all of this by people in the White House who knew about it.

Be honest, you didn't actually read the article before posting, did you?

...you post this, yet you somehow managed to miss the part where they noted the evidence.

"Mr. Manafort and Mr. Kushner only recently disclosed the meeting, though not its content, in confidential government documents described to The New York Times."

That's the evidence. Legal papers likely disclosed when Manafort was forced to register under FARA. The Times was told about all of this by people in the White House who knew about it.

Be honest, you didn't actually read the article before posting, did you?

The actual Bruce Springsteen would be very disappointed in him.

Otnopolit

Absolutely not a nothing burger. Just another piece to the puzzle that will be used to prosecute Trump and co.

Basically the opposite of a nothing burger. If this gets confirmed with evidence/proof, it's even bigger of a deal.

It's a long game, and Trump is so dumb that he's turned chess into checkers. Making it look real easy for Mueller's team.

Mahonay

Banned
A few months before this, DNC systems are compromised but there is no visible fallout.

Then we get the June 9 meeting in Trump tower which is now revealed to have been about compromising anti-Clinton information.

A week later, on June 15, the first cache of DNC documents is leaked by Guccifer 2.0.

Lawyer up, motherfuckers.
This is a nice summary.
I'm sure he already knew about this. These idiots are going down.
True.

Top Bottom