• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump administration seen as more truthful than news media: poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarisc

The Trump administration is more trusted than the news media among voters, according to a new Emerson College poll.

The administration is considered truthful by 49 percent of registered voters and untruthful by 48 percent.

But the news media is less trusted than the administration, with 53 percent calling it untruthful and just 39 percent finding it honest.

The numbers split along party lines, with nearly 9 in 10 Republicans saying the Trump administration is truthful, compared with more than 3 in 4 Democrats who say the opposite.

The Emerson poll found that 69 percent of Democrats think the news media is truthful while 91 percent of Republicans consider the Fourth Estate untruthful.

Independents, meanwhile, believe both the administration and the news media are untruthful, with 52 percent saying the administration is untruthful and 47 percent saying the same about the media.

The poll echoes Gallup's annual poll on the public's trust in media, which showed before the election that 32 percent of Americans trusted the institution, including just 14 percent of Republicans.

The poll was conducted Feb. 5-6 with a sample of 617 registered voters and a margin of error of 3.9 percentage points.

-------------------------

Source: http://thehill.com/homenews/media/318514-trump-admin-seen-as-more-truthful-than-news-media-poll

Edit: Good post from The Albatross on this topic, read it here; http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=229973833#post229973833

Damaniel

Banned
I can't live in a country where a plurality of the population supports the Muslim ban and where the well-established traditional media is considered less trustworthy than the propaganda of a Putin puppet government...

Canada, got any room up there?

Armaros

Honestly...what the fuck do you even do with that? If people are literally seeing shit that isn't there in numbers as large as this, how the Hell do you deal with it?

At various points, people in the Trump admin have admitted to saying outright bullshit falsehoods, and still seen as trustworthy.

dopplr

Those are astonishing numbers to be honest. However, this is our future in a world with so many distractions and ability to close yourself off to negative opinions while at the same time giving you the opportunity to meet like-minded individuals with real ease.

And I'm suppose to extend an olive branch and try to reason with these idiots? When they don't accept facts, science, or anything not regurgitated by the sentient orange and his gang of crooked friends?

The general media asked for this garbage when they went to the "both sides" formula. Guess what idiots? You've now created "both sides" to facts. Everything is fungible now.

Erigu

The administration is considered truthful by 49 percent of registered voters and untruthful by 48 percent.

But the news media is less trusted than the administration, with 53 percent calling it untruthful and just 39 percent finding it honest.
Isn't the latter far less monolithic than the former? I mean, would I say I trust "news media" in general? Shit like Fox News included?

Zaph

If the methodology of that poll is solid, America is in a dire situation that won't be course-corrected in the midterms or 2020.

1Iw0L8C.gif

We're doomed.

Armaros

And I'm suppose to extend an olive branch and try to reason with these idiots? When they don't accept facts, science, or anything not regurgitated by the sentient orange and his gang of crooked friends?

Republicans actually believe in alternate-facts, and probably rationalize it as, they make up stuff for the Greater Good, 'getting rid of the all of those colored people'

Ryzaki009

The general media asked for this garbage when they went to the "both sides" formula. Guess what idiots? You've now created "both sides" to facts. Everything is fungible now.

Yep this is pretty much congrats you played yourselves.

But those ratings tho!

jb1234

God, that's depressing. It's starting to feel more and more like I live on a completely different planet than Republicans.

Seik

Banned
I can't live in a country where a plurality of the population supports the Muslim ban and where the well-established traditional media is considered less trustworthy than the propaganda of a Putin puppet government...

Canada, got any room up there?

Come on here my man! :D

Though I hope you enjoy cold temperatures during winter.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Nope. Try to motivate the 8 million registered Democrats who stayed home on November 8th and motivate non-voters to wake up and join the fight against idiots who believe anything a guy with an R next to his name tells them.

You don't need to win over anyone who voted for Trump. You just need to bring in people who didn't vote before. Something tells me that might not be a particularly tall order after this administration is done.

49% find him truthful but his approval rating is less than that?

Some people can't handle the truth!

Well what's the sample size? Location of the college? Etc etc? I wouldn't consider just 1 college. Plus college setting is different from other settings.

Edit: mention above.

The national Emerson College poll was conducted February 5-6 under the Supervision of Professor Spencer Kimball. The sample consisted of only registered voters, n=617, with a margin of error (MOE) of +/- 3.9 percentage points. The national data was weighted by 2016 election results, gender, party affiliation, race, age and region. It is important to remember that subsets based on gender, age, party breakdown and school carry with them higher margins of error, as the sample size is reduced. Data was collected using an Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system of landlines only.

I mean Gallup told us last year that trust in media was at an all time low, but this is not the poll I would hold up as being definitive proof.

Nerazar

617 registered voters...that's a pretty small pool...

Well, if you extrapolate that, Trump still won the election and people considered him to be "more truthful" than anyone else.

I don't see much reason to doubt the results here.

oti

Banned
So:
- people believe a fascist administration more than the media
- the new education minister is about to ruin education for the next generation

Yep, you're doomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom