• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump cancels MLK day visit to African American history museum

Status
Not open for further replies.
President-elect Donald Trump has canceled his holiday visit to the Smithsonian Museum of African American History and Culture — losing a chance for much-needed goodwill after his feud with a civil rights leader.

The incoming president, who spent this weekend waging a war of words with Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.), had planned to visit the national museum in Washington, D.C. on Martin Luther King Day.

Trump is now planning to visit the museum sometime after assuming office, his officials said. The museum did not immediately comment.
Trump’s cancellation comes after he spent the holiday weekend publicly combating Lewis, a 16-term congressman and a leader from the civil rights movement who marched with Martin Luther King.
c11119c6fb40792998b135cd48ed38ea909d8e5d264f76a42b66990d133994df_3870501.jpg
Lewis introduced the original legislation to found the African American museum in 1988 and pushed it for 15 years before President George W. Bush signed it into law. The museum features photos of Lewis speaking at the March on Washington in 1961, as well as his mugshot from his arrest during the Freedom Rides.

Read more from source..

Happy MLK Day!

Still have a strong feeling he's doing this specifically to distract from the Russia stuff

He can get shit on for this but he can't go to jail for it

Ponn

Banned
You don't get it, he doesn't like to waste time on stuff he already knows. He already knows everything, he saw a special on Fox news about civil rights so he already knows about all this stuff.

Still have a strong feeling he's doing this specifically to distract from the Russia stuff

Yes yes yes yes yes. This is what he's done the entire cycle! Any time any scandal comes up that can rock him he goes and purposely does something to cause another stir of distraction.

EMT0

Banned
He knows his base doesn't give a fuck. Let's be real though, everything Trump touches is soiled, better he stay the hell away.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It's probably better this way. He'd just say something stupid and piss people off even more than not going.

You know, it's probably just for the best. There's no way it wouldn't have rung completely hollow, anyway, so just don't even bother.

I hope he similarly refrains from patronizing minorities during Native American Heritage Month, given his background. There's no way that gesture wouldn't be insultingly insincere, in particular.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

Absolutely he is. It's one big tv show to him and distracting people from the main storyline is all he's doing. And not to give him the credit all the people whispering in his ear know how to rile people up enough to keep us turned away from the larger picture.

D i Z

That fool wasn't ever going to go anyway, lets be real. Dude probably can't remember the names of the three black "representatives" he had over for talks a couple of weeks ago, let alone the names of notable black Americans he'll be forced to acknowledge as even existing.

Edit: And of course as stated above, the distraction tactic is transparent as fuck.

rjinaz

Of course he does. No point in bothering to act like he cares. He's king now. Besides, they didn't help him win.

Absolutely he is. It's one big tv show to him and distracting people from the main storyline is all he's doing. And not to give him the credit all the people whispering in his ear know how to rile people up enough to keep us turned away from the larger picture.

This is why I get annoyed when media covers every single tweet or comment he makes. Everything he does is with a reason of distraction and limelight. Focusing all our energy to every single tweet or action is just going to wear people out.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
But guys he's not really a racist/he tells it how it is/economic anxiety/give the orange piece of a shit a chance.

Makes sense.

He doesn't want to go there until he gets his own exhibit in another 2 years.

Trump presents: Donald Trump: The Secret Hero for "The Blacks".

The exhibition is mostly copies of photos where they managed to get him in the same room as black people, as well as photoshops of Trump in various photoshops of him during various moments of civil rights history,

Excerpt from a display:

"You know, the whole black thing, I get it, and really, I helped more than anyone. Look around, I've done so much for the blacks, just so much, the greatest. I don't think you could find anyone who helps the blacks more."

bionic77

Trump presents: Donald Trump: The Secret Hero for "The Blacks".

The exhibition is mostly copies of photos where they managed to get him in the same room as black people, as well as photoshops of Trump in various photoshops of him during various moments of civil rights history,

Excerpt from a display:

"You know, the whole black thing, I get it, and really, I helped more than anyone. Look around, I've done so much for the blacks, just so much, the greatest. I don't think you could find anyone who helps the blacks more."
I don't think his exhibit is going to be a positive one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom