• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump contradicts Tillerson on North Korea, the latest in a series of put-downs

johnsmith

remember me
d2dPB3A.png

Just when you think he can't be any stupider.

He also undercuts Tillerson, so much for those lines of communication.
S9OakQj.png

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...8c702d2d975_story.html?utm_term=.c6f492c9483b

President Trump, not for the first time, publicly contradicted his chief diplomat on a major foreign policy issue Sunday, saying via Twitter that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson was “wasting his time trying to negotiate with Little Rocket Man.”

Using his nickname for North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong Un, and apparently warning again of a U.S. military response to its escalating nuclear threat, Trump advised, “Save your energy, Rex, we’ll do what has to be done.”

The tweets came the day after Tillerson, on a visit to Beijing, told reporters the administration had direct lines of communication with North Korea and was probing for a response. “We ask, ‘Would you like to talk?’” he said. “We can talk to them, we do talk to them.”

The latest display of dissension follows earlier presidential put-downs and efforts by Tillerson and other national security officials to smooth Trump’s rough edges on issues as diverse as U.S. policy toward NATO, Mexico and the Persian Gulf.

All have sparked questions about Tillerson’s longevity in office, with repeated speculation that he is fed up, or that Trump wants him gone.

Izuna

Banned
Another clickbait title, for no reason because it is silly enough news without it.

I can't believe he gets so many likes on twitter...

I feel like the bigger thing here is that he says don't bother with diplomacy we'll take care of it. Sounds a lot like military action.

Shortly after Corker's appearance, Trump tweeted again. ”Being nice to Rocket Man hasn't worked in 25 years, why would it work now? Clinton failed, Bush failed, and Obama failed. I won't fail."

Kim, who was preceded by his father and grandfather, has been in power since late 2011.

Oh, I thought the title meant Trump's dada.

Edit: Oh, title got changed.

Izuna

Banned
Kim Jong Un wasn't leading North Korea as an 8 year old, how is it clickbait.

I guess when I first read it, I made the assumption he refers to the position of leader of NK as rocket man (since the threats are similar) but perhaps I'm giving Trump too much credit...

Tagyhag

I guess when I first read it, I made the assumption he refers to the position of leader of NK as rocket man (since the threats are similar) but perhaps I'm giving Trump too much credit...

Oh trust me, that's exactly what his zealots will say to defend him. :p

dankir

Imagine being Rex getting talked down by Drumpf like a child on Twitter HAHAHA!

Gotta be a kick on the nuts wonder how much longer he'll last.

ISOM

What Trump doesn't know could fill a book. I'd be happy not to see threads on it just so I don't have to see his name all the time.

120v

the bigger takeaway is he's claiming he'll de-nuclearize NK

like saying "those other guys? out taking a piss over isreal/palestine, but me, i'll make em get along"

magichans

Banned
Makes me think of the good cop/bad cop routine/strategy. Kinda funny if Trump is trying to do that in the context of international politics

Shoeless

It's going to be fascinating to see Trump declare war on North Korea while his generals insist to the media "Actually, we haven't declared war. Just because the President says we're going to war, doesn't mean we are."

I don't see how that bizarre contradiction can be avoided at this point. Trump really wants a war, even if his actual military doesn't.

Kevinroc

I honestly don't know why Tillerson puts up with this. I know why some of these others do, but I don't know why Tillerson does.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Makes me think of the good cop/bad cop routine/strategy. Kinda funny if Trump is trying to do that in the context of international politics

He's not trying to play good cop bad good. Trump actively wants to murder a bunch of people and will continue pushing away advisers until someone lets him do it.

He's doing this because he wants to kill people

magichans

Banned
It's going to be fascinating to see Trump declare war on North Korea while his generals insist to the media "Actually, we haven't declared war. Just because the President says we're going to war, doesn't mean we are."

I don't see how that bizarre contradiction can be avoided at this point. Trump really wants a war, even if his actual military doesn't.

Just because Trump is volatile doesn't mean he's ready to go to war with a nuclear power. The thing is, he wants to make Kim believe that he would be crazy enough. That's how he brings him to the negotiating table.

Volimar

He's not trying to play good cop bad good. Trump actively wants to murder a bunch of people and will continue pushing away advisers until someone lets him do it.

He's doing this because he wants to kill people

I think he believes he'll win re-election if we're in a state of war. Worked for W. Bush.

Steel

Banned
Yep. Trump's a billionaire that won the US presidential election. Guy's not the idiot that people believe.

Neither of those facts proves intelligence. And everything he's done since getting elected proves the opposite. There's this thing called failing upwards that Trump exemplifies.

magichans

Banned
Right, he's not an idiot. He's actively trying to murder people and at this rate he'll likely succeed
That's like the people who were saying Obama's a Marxist that's going to streamline abortions, make the US communist, and then cause a race war in the US.

Same pill/bullshit, different political parties.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Just because Trump is volatile doesn't mean he's ready to go to war with a nuclear power. The thing is, he wants to make Kim believe that he would be crazy enough. That's how he brings him to the negotiating table.

Oh wow. Why did no other President ever think of this? Wait, no, it's obvious why.

Kinyou

Shortly after Corker’s appearance, Trump tweeted again. “Being nice to Rocket Man hasn’t worked in 25 years, why would it work now? Clinton failed, Bush failed, and Obama failed. I won’t fail.”

Kim, who was preceded by his father and grandfather, has been in power since late 2011.

Oh, I thought the title meant Trump's dada.

Not even the first time he said something like that

"I hope things work out well. I hope there's going to be peace, but you know, they've been talking with this gentleman for a long time. You read Clinton's book, he said, 'Oh we made such a great peace deal,' and it was a joke.
"You look at different things over the years with President Obama. Everybody's been outplayed, they've all been outplayed by this gentleman and we'll see what happens."
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/trumps-confusion-extends-the-gentleman-north-korea

Oersted

That is how you alienate partners

Yep. And yep, he doesn't know they are two different persons

I don't see why we have to mock someone expressing signs of senility and memory loss.

It's important to recognize that our leader has dementia, but these posts calling him an idiot for it are lame.

MUnited83

For you.
Yep. Trump's a billionaire that won the US presidential election. Guy's not the idiot that people believe.

Dude's not much of a billionaire, no. And he is a dumbass that has continously fucked up with his administration over and over.

He's a dumb racist fuckwit. There's no master plan, there's no 4D checkers.

snap

Banned
Thought it was Bush did soft appeasement and then Obama went "fuck that" and decided to never cave in to NK's outbursts

Fanta Fascist don't care

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
That's like the people who were saying Obama's a Marxist that's going to streamline abortions, make the US communist, and then cause a race war in the US.

Same pill/bullshit, different political parties.

hahahahahaha what am I reading? Yeah right. Think about what you're saying. Trump is actively and openly talking about murdering millions of people. That's the fact. You're saying 'secretly it's actually because he doesn't mean any of the things he says and it's actually something different!'

You're the one implying some secret hidden agenda. You're the one with conspiracy theory here saying we should ignore what he's actually doing over and over in public and instead believe some secret genius theory

Top Bottom