• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump contradicts Tillerson on North Korea, the latest in a series of put-downs

Lord Fagan

Rex Tillerson probably isn't crazy enough to bail the administration with the world order being so precarious right now.

But this is totally the moment where he needs to figure out how to bail the administration.

I feel like the bigger thing here is that he says don't bother with diplomacy we'll take care of it. Sounds a lot like military action.

Who is we? There won't be any military action. The generals won't accept orders from Trump to attack NK. They know Trump is almost as big a lunatic as Kim Jong.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I guess when I first read it, I made the assumption he refers to the position of leader of NK as rocket man (since the threats are similar) but perhaps I'm giving Trump too much credit...

He's not. He's made a comment like this before.

The President of the United States is SO stupid that he literally doesn't know these are different people.

magichans

Banned
hahahahahaha what am I reading? Yeah right. Think about what you're saying. Trump is actively and openly talking about murdering millions of people. That's the fact. You're saying 'secretly it's actually because he doesn't mean any of the things he says and it's actually something different!'

You're the one implying some secret hidden agenda. You're the one with conspiracy theory here saying we should ignore what he's actually doing over and over in public and instead believe some secret genius theory
The fact you fell for it proves there might be something to his strategy. If Kim thinks Trump is genuinely unhinged with the largest nuclear arsenal, then he'll come to the negotiating table. Look at what China did, shutting down a bunch of North Korean businesses. That happened because they believed Trump.

Think for a second. Wouldn't the stock market have crashed by now if a nuclear war was imminent? It's at all time highs in the history of the world.

zelas

Why won't he just shut the fuck up :(

No actually, different things are different, just because you don't understand them and want to pretend it's all generic politics doesn't make it true.

FFS How are people this dense.
Its not different. He's said things like this before. Its not even the first time he's made statements contradicting Tillerson. How many lines has he crossed according to you guys? How many more are left?

MIMIC

Banned
Cannot believe he undercut Tillerson like that. x_x

This guy is taking unprofessional to a new level every other day

Yep. Trump's a billionaire that won the US presidential election. Guy's not the idiot that people believe.
Are we talking about the same guy who argued that his border wall has to be transparent because drug dealers catching sacks of thrown drugs over the wall might get injured? He’s clearly not all there.

WedgeX

Banned
I sometimes feel like Tillerson genuinely wants to try and be good at his job

I feel like he still wants to look respectable at his job, even if it means ultimately rendering the State Department less effective at actually engaging in diplomacy through degradation of the foreign service.

The fact you fell for it proves there might be something to his strategy. If Kim thinks Trump is genuinely unhinged with the largest nuclear arsenal, then he'll come to the negotiating table. Look at what China did, shutting down a bunch of North Korean businesses. That happened because they believed Trump.

Think for a second. Wouldn't the stock market have crashed by now if a nuclear war was imminent? It's at all time highs in the history of the world.

If he actually knew what he was doing he would have a major piece of legislation signed....He has none, the biggest thing he has signed is sanctions against Russia.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yep. Trump's a billionaire that won the US presidential election. Guy's not the idiot that people believe.

Oh wow I'm glad that's what it is. I thought he really was a lazy foolish inexperienced narcissistic dumb ass day in and day but now I know its all an act and part of his master strategy.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member

What are you even talking about? I said he wants to kill people and he does. Not that he'll actually be able to do it.

No, threatening nuclear war has nothing to do with bringing NK to the negotiating table. Something Trump is 100% clear about every time he speaks.

I love that you think that China shut down NK businesses because of Trump though. It's almost cute. I suppose you could think that if you ignore the entire history of China's relationship with NK and the entire history of the region but you seem to be quite happy substituting facts for fantasy already

Edit: your argument is so insane I just love it. You're arguing you personally are so smart you can see the strategy but every other world leader is too dumb to get it. That you are so clever and see what's going on (in secret) but that apparently the whole rest of the world is too stupid and will fall for it. Oh wait, but not the economy though... those people also know about the secret strategy which every one else to too stupid to see. So the economy is good because everyone knows it's not true but not the other world leaders who don't know.... also you know but only you.... not other regular people who can't see it.... and then..... what, wait?

Cat Party

lmao I thought people like you were a myth at this point.

EDIT: Don't forget that Trump has only won 50% as many elections as certified galaxy brain George W. Bush.

magichans

Banned
What are you even talking about? I said he wants to kill people and he does. Not that he'll actually be able to do it.

No, threatening nuclear war has nothing to do with bringing NK to the negotiating table. Something Trump is 100% clear about every time he speaks.

I love that you think that China shut down NK businesses because of Trump though. It's almost cute. I suppose you could think that if you ignore the entire history of China's relationship with NK and the entire history of the region but you seem to be quite happy substituting facts for fantasy already

Oh, I'm sorry. Why don't you be more specific in your posts then? Oh I know, it's so you can backpedal and claim you were talking about something else when I disprove your point.

China shut down those NK businesses because of Trump. Never happened under other presidencies, all of a sudden happened when Trump started ratcheting up the rhetoric. To say it had no connection to Trump is laughable. They were concerned about escalating tensions and the rhetoric. That's why they did it.

Damn, some people just want to blindly hate on Trump. No matter what I say, I'm sure you'll just look past it instead of engaging in a meaningful conversation filled with facts.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Throughout the past week and weekend, I've seen next to nothing in relation to republican repudiation of Trump's actions.

Seesaw15

This 4th dimensional chess this old man is playing is something else.
836314424_donald-trump-melania-trump-barron-zoom-4e32a5fe-1584-424d-8c5a-4c0e6a402964.jpg

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Oh, I'm sorry. Why don't you be more specific in your posts then? Oh I know, it's so you can backpedal and claim you were talking about something else when I disprove your point.

China shut down those NK businesses because of Trump. Never happened under other presidencies, all of a sudden happened when Trump started ratcheting up the rhetoric. To say it had no connection to Trump is laughable. They were concerned about escalating tensions and the rhetoric. That's why they did it.

Damn, some people just want to blindly hate on Trump. No matter what I say, I'm sure you'll just look past it instead of engaging in a meaningful conversation filled with facts.

Amazing. Truly amazing. It's like encountering a unicorn. You just sort of stand there and say "Can you believe this shit??"

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member

Hahahaahah what????? No, China has been imposing sanctions on NK throughout history. There is no evidence suggesting it has anything to do with Trump. It's completely in line with their history and past strategy with NK. Oh man. I love think you think somehow Trump 'tricked' China into doing something but you've too smart for that! You know all the secret hidden meanings here, much smarter than everyone else.

Provide any evidence for any of your points. Just one piece of evidence for even a single point will be fine

Hahaha 'never happened under any other presidents'. Oh man. I just can't take it

Slayven

So we should praise him because others are acting to minimize the damage his craziness is doing?

Donald Trump is trying to force Tillerson out of the job in order to give it to Nikki Haley, so that he can gain a set of good news cycle out of it. He will at some point in the future remove Tillerson and appoint Haley.

Was the title changed? It seems like it since some posts no longer seem to make sense.

God I wish mods would make note of that--it should be standard practice, for clarity and transparency reasons

Flo_Evans

I actually like the trolling approach to North Korea. Sure maybe it will trigger nuclear war but out of all trumps targets they at least deserve it.

Steel

Banned

China never got to this point in sanctions because North Korea never got to this point in nuclear capability. There have been more and more sanctions from China with each and every administration as NK has gotten closer to nukes. What Trump is doing has absolutely nothing to do with it. All he's doing is losing credibility by drawing red lines that NK has repeatedly crossed without doing shit because even a braindead monkey knows the cost of doing something.

Cat Party

I actually like the trolling approach to North Korea. Sure maybe it will trigger nuclear war but out of all trumps targets they at least deserve it.

The people who will die when Trump inevitably finds an excuse to attack will surely not deserve it.

Joe T.

"Trump told his staffers to portray him as 'crazy' to get more out of negotiations with South Korea" -Business Insider

The group was discussing whether to pull out of a free-trade deal with South Korea, a threat Trump has floated since early September. Trump then began coaching Lighthizer on how to proceed, according to the sources who paraphrased the exchange for Axios:

"You've got 30 days, and if you don't get concessions then I'm pulling out," Trump told Lighthizer.

"Ok, well I'll tell the Koreans they've got 30 days," Lighthizer replied.

"No, no, no," Trump interjected. "That's not how you negotiate. You don't tell them they've got 30 days. You tell them, 'This guy's so crazy he could pull out any minute.'"

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
The people who will die when Trump inevitably finds an excuse to attack will surely not deserve it.

The whole concept makes no sense because the people most in danger of being harmed by North Korea are North Koreans. So to save the North Koreans you're going to murder a whole bunch of them?

Mahonay

Banned

jumping-out-of-window.gif

turmoil

Banned
What can be said about Trump at this point? Just die as soon as possible, please.

And don't forget Pence in your way to hell.

statham

That's like the people who were saying Obama's a Marxist that's going to streamline abortions, make the US communist, and then cause a race war in the US.

Same pill/bullshit, different political parties.
Are you posting from russia? Seroiusly asking

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

He isn't a billionaire. He inherited whatever money he lost after sending 4 companies into bankruptcy.

He now runs what amounts to a licensing operation for his name back when it was worth something.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing Trump's continued threats is doing is legitimising North Korea's position. Remember their position is that they need weapons to defend themselves from the US. This has in fact always been their position.

Unfortunately first Bush and now Trump continue to play directly into their hands in order to try and score points domestically.

Think for a moment.
NK: "We need weapons to defend ourselves from the US."
US: Talks openly about attacking them and murdering them on Twitter.

What's unfortunate is in fact history is somewhat just repeating itself. We got here after Bush pulled the same stuff years ago (remember the 'axis of evil'?)

Indeed, in many way despite being so much more inarticulate about it (can you imagine trying to tell people years ago the next Republican present would be less articulate than Bush?) Trump is playing directly out of the Republican playbook on this one

Paz

Its not different. He's said things like this before. Its not even the first time he's made statements contradicting Tillerson. How many lines has he crossed according to you guys? How many more are left?

I was quoting someone else and responding with those extra lines which seems to have gone haywire, I've since deleted it to avoid confusion.

Apologies for the confusion, was meant to be talking about the person on the first page insisting all politics is the same just depending on which party you support.

Top Bottom