• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump contradicts Tillerson on North Korea, the latest in a series of put-downs

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Because I disagreed with the post claiming that the current president is actively seeking to kill people? wtf? Seriously underestimated how controversial my posts would be here

But you’ve been posting here for eight years...

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Because I disagreed with the post claiming that the current president is actively seeking to kill people? wtf? Seriously underestimated how controversial my posts would be here

The current US president is literally posting constantly about how he wants to murder people

Damn, some people just want to blindly hate on Trump. No matter what I say, I'm sure you'll just look past it instead of engaging in a meaningful conversation filled with facts.

Ok lets go with filled facts...What has he accomplished in office with his "strategy"? Surely someone using such high level tactics would've secured come meaningful win legislatively, right?

magichans

Banned
But you’ve been posting here for eight years...

Я знаю, но недавно я купил эту учетную запись у кого-то на Ebay.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Я знаю, но недавно я купил эту учетную запись у кого-то на Ebay.

Oh so you admit you are totally wrong and that Trump is in fact a complete idiot who apparently spends whatever money he has left after bankruptcy collecting rare pogs on EBay?? Excellent.

Azuran

Banned
Yep. Trump's a billionaire that won the US presidential election. Guy's not the idiot that people believe.

Where has Trump shown an ounce of intelligence in the past 9 months? He legit has no idea what he's doing and it clearly shows. Trump is not even at the level of W. Bush and that guy was a bonafide idiot the majority of the time. We actually have a barometer when it comes to this stuff.

This whole "Trump is a secret genius" nonsense needs to stop. The fact that some people even believe it it's so sad. If he's so smart, how come ISIS is still alive and kicking? After all, this is the same idiot who said he had a 30-day secret plan that was amazing.

Future

Trumps game is talking big talk. I doubt he wants a real war, although I’d say he doesn’t care either. Reality is he will always escalate every situation because everything he says is inflammatory and always has been. It’s in North Korea’s court to call his bluffs

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yep. Trump's a billionaire that won the US presidential election. Guy's not the idiot that people believe.

His problem is his lack of competence, not his lack of intelligence. Even if he earned every dollar he ever had with the power of a genius-level business intellect, that doesn't mean he makes a good president.

Would you want Donald Trump to perform open heart surgery on you, or design NASA's next space vehicle? Hell, would you even want him to do tech support on your computer? No. Because he's not competent to do those jobs, "smart" or not.

The man is not cut out to be president, and he shows that literally every day of the week.

And it's not like he had a rough few months adjusting to the job and is getting better. He's the same jackass he was on day one, except maybe slightly angrier. Trump is terrible at pretty much every aspect of his job.

I'm starting to think Trump is not a good president.

And 30 something percent love him. Makes you wonder doesn't it? Do 30 percent of the US population just want a homicidal maniac as president? Do they want someone that will wage war on the world? Does such a large part of our population look forward to genocidal destruction and carnage?

Maybe its not that they take pleasure in it, but view killing as neccessary. 'No peace. Just fight and kill everyone different from you'. When I was getting my degree in a little Texas town a few years ago, before Trump, I knew a Marine combat veteran guy that served in Iraq. When I would drink with him, hed openly say that the he wished for the entire middle east region be glassed into a parking lot. Children and all. When I complained about that attitude, I was that he may have more 'insight' in 'the problem' because he had served and saw this problem firsthand. It says a Lot about us as Americans today that we've allowed it to get this bad.

He's literally testing the boundaries for when he said, on a mic, that he could murder people and get away it it.

This is him doing exactly what he said he'd do during the campaign.

Yup. Again, this is what his base believes. 30 percent of our country want to just glass parts of the Earth at will.

mAcOdIn

imo This is a ploy to make Rex look level headed and negotiable.
For you to try and set up a bad cop, good cop, routine the good cop has to have the appearance of being able to deliver the goods, what's the point of backing down from the bad cop and making a deal with the good cop if the bad cop's just going to turn around and rip the deal up anyways?

Because, while I get that the US doesn't have permanent dictators and thus every 4-8 years we have a new personality so technically everything Trump wants to rip up wasn't his doing, it sets a bad precedent when the United States President is openly hostile to nearly every deal past administrations have made and makes it look like any deal reached by any arm or branch of the government that isn't Donald Trump isn't worth the paper it's printed on. His rhetoric for Iran is probably more damning than his statements on NAFTA or NATO in this regard as it more closely mirrors North Korea's position.

I just don't believe that Trump has fostered the kind of environment where this tactic could work. He would have needed to continue to respect and promote the idea that the State Department's dealings were final and legitimate and he continues to do the opposite.

With that said, there's virtually no chance that any peaceful outcome in regards to North Korea has anything to do with Donald Trump's negotiating prowess and everything to do with how little Kim Jong Un wants war.

jimmypython

“Rex is a good man. He is treated extremely unfairly by the fake news media. We’ll see what happens.”

Then Friday comes.

How does anyone get away with this type of shit?

This leaves no room for diplomacy at all. This wanna be cowboy talks big but, I hope he does not get away with this level of screwing shit up.

Link

The Autumn Wind
And 30 something percent love him. Makes you wonder doesn't it? Do 30 percent of the US population just want a homicidal maniac as president? Do they want someone that will wage war on the world? Does such a large part of our population look forward to genocidal destruction and carnage?
As long as it pisses off liberals.

Zolo

And it's not like he had a rough few months adjusting to the job and is getting better. He's the same jackass he was on day one, except maybe slightly angrier. Trump is terrible at pretty much every aspect of his job.

Yep. Not only is he not adjusting to the job, he seems to be getting increasingly angry, frustrated, and lazy as he's not getting what he wanted to out of the job.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Why does the article suppose Tillerson is not long for the job when Trump said in his tweet how wonderful he is?

Much ado about nothing, methinks.

Why does the article suppose Tillerson is not long for the job when Trump said in his tweet how wonderful he is?

Much ado about nothing, methinks.

Trump says that about everyone at some point only to later see that person resign or get fired

'Great guy! Treated badly by Fake News'

Oh don't get it twisted, I don't think Trump came up with this if it is indeed a ploy.

If there's any "ploy" going on, it's that he's seen the criticism of how he's handling Puerto Rico, and thinks threatening to bomb someplace will make people think he's a good president because it worked for about a day that one time with Syria.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh don't get it twisted, I don't think Trump came up with this if it is indeed a ploy.

This implies Trump is smart enough to carry out someone else's plan without letting everyone know that's what he's doing. He's got a pretty long history of not being able to do that.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Nah, otherwise the State Department wouldn't be a fucking graveyard.

He was brought up cause he was best buddies with Russia, plain and simple.

Hmmm I remember reading somewhere that several of the positions Tillerson wanted appointed weren't going through because Trump insisted on personally approving each and every one. Apparently lots of people Tillerson appointed weren't brought on, or are still waiting on approval.

llien

He isn't a billionaire. He inherited whatever money he lost after sending 4 companies into bankruptcy.

He now runs what amounts to a licensing operation for his name back when it was worth something.

Fuck me for siding with Russian troll, but people can't be serious about "idiot" claims.

Selfish asshole - yeah.
An opportunist - yeah.
Dangerous in his ignorance (no experience in politics whatsoever) - yeah.
Was fine with Russian's helping him get elected - yeah.

He is an idiot politician, compared to, say, Merkel.
But he is definitely not stupid, compared to an average person.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Fuck me for siding with Russian troll, but people can't be serious about "idiot" claims.

Selfish asshole - yeah.
An opportunist - yeah.

You can't possibly say this if you've been paying any attention at all over the past few years.

Hmmm I remember reading somewhere that several of the positions Tillerson wanted appointed weren't going through because Trump insisted on personally approving each and every one. Apparently lots of people Tillerson appointed weren't brought on, or are still waiting on approval.

What a shame -- I actually believe in Tillerson. I've watched most interviews with him and he seems like he just wants to do his job correctly but is constantly being talked down by Trump.

He's not trying to play good cop bad good. Trump actively wants to murder a bunch of people and will continue pushing away advisers until someone lets him do it.

He's doing this because he wants to kill people

Just because Trump is volatile doesn't mean he's ready to go to war with a nuclear power. The thing is, he wants to make Kim believe that he would be crazy enough. That's how he brings him to the negotiating table.

Is Trump genocidal? A master strategist playing 11th dimension chess? Or just a blowhard who sees negotiation/compromise as a weakness, who only seems to know that his supporters will rally to him as long as he's unapologetically yelling at someone and blaming others for current problems?

This crisis exemplifies everything about his policy moves thus far. Unless he's being spoon fed talking points by Hannity, his default mode is "X is an idiot, X is a bad guy, I'm going to make America great again by doing the opposite of Obama!" There is no conviction, no master plan. He says the first thing that pops into his head, without filter, no matter who it insults or what the consequences are.

This can be just as dangerous as having a genocidal warlord (see Kim) or a master strategist (Putin) at the helm, but the grasp of the situation just isn't there.

I don't see why we have to mock someone expressing signs of senility and memory loss.

It's important to recognize that our leader has dementia, but these posts calling him an idiot for it are lame.

You insult people actually suffering from Alzheimer's and mental illness, etc, when you let Trump off the hook for his asinine commentary by attributing it to one of the former without diagnosis.

It is entirely possible to be a stupid asshole without something physically wrong with your brain.

Link

The Autumn Wind

Selfish asshole - yeah.
An opportunist - yeah.

He's definitely an idiot. I wouldn't be shocked if his IQ was in the 70's.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Selfish asshole - yeah.
An opportunist - yeah.

No he’s legit stupid and it’s not just age. Although he was marginally more coherent in his youth his interviews from the 80s and 90s are those of a stupid person who thinks he sounds clever. I’d be wary of anyone who thinks he’s intelligent.

Trump has always been an intellectual toilet. Sorry Wuvcraft but he’s a know nothing blowhard who bought a degree from Wharton.

Selfish asshole - yeah.
An opportunist - yeah.

Bush was C student trying to play amongst valedictorians. Trump is a legit dumbass.

Top Bottom