• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Fires James Comey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monocle

Despite being in an era of newspaper downsizing, thought I'd do a round up of editorial board opinions. Newspapers appear to fall in three categories. The editorial board wrote a piece. The editorial board has declined to write a piece. Or no editorial board appears to exist in "a giving an opinion way" and so the last opinion piece is included.

Our nation's newspapers:

Miami Herald:With FBI chief James Comey’s firing, democracy is officially in crisis

Baltimore Sun: Comey firing trumps all excuses not to appoint a special counsel

Detroit Free Press: Needed: A Trump-proof Russia inquiry

New York Times: Trump’s Firing of Comey Is All About the Russia Inquiry

Washington Post: How to clean up the Comey mess

LA Times: Absolutely nothing about James Comey's firing passes the smell test

Wall Street Journal: no opinion

Chicago Tribune: Trump's firing of Comey looks like a politically motivated hatchet job

USA Today: James Comey is now a GOP problem

Detroit News: no opinion

San Jose Mercury News: With the Justice Department fully compromised, Republicans in Congress need to salvage Trump-Russia investigation

Denver Post: The Comey firing stinks; a special prosecutor is a must

Houston Chronicle: Trump's actions underscore the need for special attention on the Russia investigation.

The Plain Dealer: Was President Trump trying to shut down FBI's Russia probe in firing James Comey? Editorial Board Roundtable

The Arizona Republic: no opinion

Boston Globe: no opinion

Birmingham News: No editorial
Opinion piece: James Comey firing feels like a huge pain in the Trump

Atlanta Journal Constitution: no editorial
Opinion piece: The problems with Trump’s firing of Comey aren’t constitutional ones

Times-Picayune: no opinion

Kansas City Star: In search of Republican profiles in courage on Comey’s firing

Citizen-Times: no opinion

Charlotte Observer: With Comey firing, day of reckoning has arrived

The Virginia Pilot: What we need now: a special prosecutor

The Roanoke Times: no opinion

The Herald-Dispatch: no opinion

Charleston Gazette-Mail: no opinion

Portland Press Herald: Our View: Comey’s firing not business as usual

Idaho Statesman: no opinion

Bismark Tribute: no opinion

Argus Leader: no opinion

Missoulian: no opinion

The Okalahoman: nothing of its own

Topeka Capital-Journal: Trump shouldn’t have fired Comey

The Witchita Eagle: no opinion

The Seattle Times: no opinion

The Oregonian: no opinion
Good work, thanks.

Sephzilla

Why are you guys no selling Director Dyson?!

He went out with a bang too

KJW.gif

https://twitter.com/funder/status/862501559896330240

3 reps(former prosecutors) write letter why special counsel must be appointed:

Letter sent by 3 Reps to Rod Rosenstein—cites law that REQUIRES appointment of special prosecutor @tedlieu @RepKathleenRice @StaceyPlaskett

3 reasons given:

1) Rosenstein is biased and not independent (wrote letter at whim of Trump)
2) firing Comey generates conflict of interest with FBI investigation
3) Flynn has asked for immunity which Congress can't grant

IANAL but it seems they might have a case as they cite the code of Federal Regulations

Kinyou

Reading the Trump letter and I'm thinking he's a lil bitch. First few words talks about the AG and deputy AG. I know Sessions but it sounds like they told Trump what to do. Who the fuck cares about the deputy AG? Would they not have fired him if deputy whoshisface didn't write a letter?

It's weak. He takes no responsibility, to me. It's a cover your ass move by the leader of the free world.
It's funny that this doesn't bother Trump supporters more. After all is this whole macho persona reason why they voted for him, but as always they just see what they want to see.

Watched a bit of MSNBC. They talked about how crazy this Comey firing is, and that they think Trump is sending a clear message, etc etc. Host then says "well, before we go further, let's ask our Republican friend here if this is all Democratic spin." And the Republican on the show said "Normally, I might say yes. But in this case, Democrats are absolutely right." Then he went on to bash Trump. What a world we live in that this event has temporarily brought two sides into harmony (some people anywho)

https://twitter.com/funder/status/862501559896330240

3 reps(former prosecutors) write letter why special counsel must be appointed:

3 reasons given:

1) Rosenstein is biased and not independent (wrote letter at whim of Trump)
2) firing Comey generates conflict of interest with FBI investigation
3) Flynn has asked for immunity which Congress can't grant

IANAL but it seems they might have a case as they cite the code of Federal Regulations
Two reactions:

1) Please Thor be true
2) If true...time to change the code/law and get around it!

I'm starting to go insane binge watching, or reading rather, policial news, tweets, neogaf threads, etc, on all this shit. But I can't help it. The inevitable movie on this lovely slice of history will seem so shallow in comparison.

Chococat

Just saw this random though in a tweet feed, not sure if it was mentioned here.

During the Russian exclusive photo op and interview, was the nuclear football in the room?

During the Russian exclusive photo op and interview, was the nuclear football in the room?
Like...can it be seen in the picture? It shouldn't be, no. The guy that follows Trump and has it at the ready hangs out in room right below, if I remember correctly.

I'm starting to go insane binge watching, or reading rather, policial news, tweets, neogaf threads, etc, on all this shit. But I can't help it. The inevitable movie on this lovely slice of history will seem so shallow in comparison.
If they make a movie in 20 years, our kids won't believe 95% of it because it is going to seem so ridiculously over the top.

Preezy

Tell me about it, this is more interesting and captivating than anything any writers could come up!

flkraven

Is there going to be a thread for Andrew McCabe's Senate Intel Committee hearing today? Starts in 20 minutes, no? I expect the Dems to be riled up

That Trump tweeted asking Democrats who had called for Comey to resign 'What's changed?' is hilarious. Because there's an answer. And the answer is "We found out he was overseeing an investigation into your administration and campaign as to whether it colluded with Russia or not."

Which I think the Democrats will be happy to remind everyone of at every opportunity.

NewFresh

That Trump tweeted asking Democrats who had called for Comey to resign 'What's changed?' is hilarious. Because there's an answer. And the answer is "We found out he was overseeing an investigation into your administration and campaign as to whether it colluded with Russia or not."

Which I think the Democrats will be happy to remind everyone of at every opportunity.

I mean, the republican talking point is exactly the same across the board. They really do know how to get everyone repeating the same thing.

Heck no, why would Garland give up lifetime tenure to serve Trump and then be fired in a few months?
It's a Republican Senator suggesting that a left-leaning moderate be put in a position to investigate Trump. This is significant even if it would never happen.

KingV

There's really nothing special about the nuclear football. It's just a briefcase with some books in it, and probably a secure way to communicate like a secured phone to call the people that can actually, no shit, send the message to the submarines/icbms/etc.

Like...can it be seen in the picture? It shouldn't be, no. The guy that follows Trump and has it at the ready hangs out in room right below, if I remember correctly.

If they make a movie in 20 years, our kids won't believe 95% of it because it is going to seem so ridiculously over the top.

20 years? It's probably already in preproduction.

Chococat

I ask cause month or two ago, it was shown on Trump's desk in the Oval Office while doing business. Many security people were upset that happened. Also plenty of people have gotten their photo taken with it at Mar-a-lago. Trump's own actions prove he not overly concerned with the security of it.

No I haven't seen it in photos, but I may have not seen all the photos. It is a (hopeful) crazy though to go along with the Russian having a chance to bug the room with exclusive access.

zelas

A 2 hour movie can't possibly do this madness justice. HBO mini series at minimum.

WH furious over Russian government photos of Trump meeting with Lavrov/Kislyak. "They tricked us," an official said of Russians "They lie."

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/862641882983215105

This cant be real. It just cant.

It's like some bumbling bad guys from an old Hannah Barbara cartoon

I don't even understand what this is claiming or implying. You posed for pictures. You're saying they... tricked you? Into what? Posing and smiling for photos?

"I may have been involved with a Foreign government behind the scenes, but who cares".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom