• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: "We have many options for Venezuela...not going to rule out a military option"

Kensation

6Zpnai2.png

Jeff6851

I'm not saying that regime change is something the U.S. should do in this case, far from it, but saying that Maduro and all the shit he's doing, the wreck of the economy he has left, including massive, provable, voter fraud is accepted by the majority of venezulans is completely disingenuous.

But sure, stay so woke that you start thinking dictators are just leaders just because the U.S. has done some shitty things.

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/opinion/What-do-Venezuelans-think-20170623-0001.html

Also, he may not be loved like Castro was but he's more popular than anyone who could replace him.

Xando

Idiot doesn’t need to start military action.
Sanction oil exports from Venezuela and you get your regime change after the default

Certainly not something worse than what we have today.

Do not tempt fate.

Now, I wrote that long post because I feel that NeoGAF needs some context before jumping to conclusion, because the popular sentiment in this country is that if a military intervention takes place and replaces the government, it would be widely well-received.

Really, some people here don't even care if it is Trump or not, these news you're taking with so much dread, is for most people here the best news they have had the whole week (which is not such a big thing, considering we're living in a country where such a thing is happening, we have a projected inflation of 2000% or more and people have to rummage through the trash for food in every single street in the capital).

I'm sure Venezuelans are desperate for someone to come in and stop the madman in power, but a lot of those sentiments were expressed about Iraq under Saddam Hussein. That was an occupation that initially was welcomed in many areas of the country, but was so horrendously mismanaged that it lead to an even bigger clusterfuck that we are dealing with to this very day. If the Bush administration could fuck it up that badly, the Trump admin can only do worse.

Pay attention to his words as well. He would not commit to any such action out of the kindness of his heart. He has an eye on stealing your resources. Like Bush, he would also likely appoint people to lead the transition based on their ideology and loyalty rather than their qualifications. Wouldn't be surprised to see a /pol/-browsing fuckhead in charge of rebuilding infrastructure.

EDIT: I would like to add that in my case I do not support a messy military intervention. If possible, I would like the transition to be as peaceful as possible, even if such a thing has been made impossible by Maduro lately... I'm just saying that people here would actually support this. Now, if the US can intervene in a more peaceful way, that would be really great news lol

I would not keep my hopes up.

Gutek

That’s his whole shtick. He never rules out invading other countries. He thinks it’s a super smart strategy.

Sblargh

Banned
It would be horrible for everyone involved, but as Maduro keeps murdering, torturing and concentrating power, my guess would be many Venezuelans actually desire this.

We have many options for Venezuela.

options
option
options
options
option

And by the way
very, very far away
not very far away

Oooooo. I wanna play too!

Lets remove duplicate words.
Trump: "We have many options for Venezuela And by the way I'm not going to rule out a military option This is our neighbor you know are all over world troops in places that very far away people suffering they dying including if necessary."

I think its cleaner.

Lautaro

It would be horrible for everyone involved, but as Maduro keeps murdering, torturing and concentrating power, my guess would be many Venezuelans actually desire this.

There's always a portion of any latinamerican country that would like to see their rivals dead. Hell, here in Chile is pretty common to read comments from people that want USA (or the military) to come and kill all the leftists. I guess the Cold War marked the region.

Sblargh

Banned
There's always a portion of any latinamerican country that would like to see their rivals dead. Hell, here in Chile is pretty common to read comments from people that want USA (or the military) to come and kill all the leftists. I guess the Cold War marked the region.

I guess it's also true here in Brazil, but it takes a bona fide dictator to turn what usually is a marginal feeling into something more mainstream.

This is acting. He's just parroting lines. He hasn't actually sat down and thought about Venezuela. I expect his grasp of the situation there is shaky at best.

Pbae

There is a problem though: Putin.

As long as Maburro is on Putin's good side, his puppet will never send the army to Venezuela.

Tin Foil Time: This was orchestrated by Putin for Trump to say to help Maburro gain more power since they're focused on foreign affairs. This would be a win win for Putin.

hobozero

The man always sounds like a kid giving an oral book report without having read the book.

"The tale is about these two cities. Great cities, the best. And they aren't very far away, did you know this? A lot of people don't know that. They aren't. We have so many options with these great cities, I mean, just great. Hilary. Electoral College."

JJD

Trump's only option that would have a real impact on Venezuela would be to stop importing Venezuelan Oil, but he won't do that because it would have a considerable effect on US gas prices and he can't afford that right now. His popularity would drop even lower.

As far as Venezuela goes, Trump's is all bark, no bite.

Trump, come on. Can we take a moment and ponder why Trump is so bad at politics?

Yes, you guys are already saying "Well duh!"

But I mean let's dig deeper. Earlier today, we had a thread about Trump's recent tweet about North Korea. Understandably, some people are getting scared about how he and the GOP can't stop escalating with North Korea on who has the biggest Little John.

Some people were quick to notice Trump's schemes though.

But of course, the idea of nuclear war is still frightening because people believe Trump is more senile and insane rather than a cornered politician who is diverting attention.

But now he wants to intervene with Venezuela now? His big ego couldn't settle on just North Korea and thinks doubling down will scare people even more! Instead it just shows how transparent he is in using war rhetoric to distract the masses.

But I guess it's enough for US media and public to get distracted which worries everyone else in the world.

This guy. He knows what's up. Combine this with the fact that he's been informed he literally can't do anything preemptive regarding NK without involving China and effectively starting WWIII, it's clear Trump is just looking for easy people to instigate a popular international conflict with so as to preserve his position as President as much as possible.

It's real easy to dump a President pre-war/post-war. A whole lot harder mid-war.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

President Maduro's son responded to Trump on Saturday, but appeared confused on the location of the White House.

"If the unlikely event of defiling the homeland came to pass, the rifles would arrive in New York, " he told Venezuelan state media.

"Mr. Trump, we would arrive and take the White House."

Trump vs Maduro and sons. Two sides who have trouble with geography.

Stay the hellout of Latin America Trump. You really don't want to enrage a content that sits right below you.

Because we all know it's not going to stop at Venezuela

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The Associated Press‏ @AP

BREAKING: Venezuela president asks powerful assembly to probe opposition for allegedly backing Trump threat of intervention.

Good job you orange shitbag.

Everytime I hear somebody say it's just words he's an amateur give him time I will point to shit like this where he has fucked over entire countries in under 144 characters. He's a gold medalist in the sport at this point. This man actively does damage to this world merely by existing, for the good of all he needs to be impeached.

xRaizen

As a Venezuelan who still has a lot of family down there - I'd gladly agree to Trump doing anything to take Maduro and his regime down. It's very, very bad in Venezuela with all the crime, murders, rapes, and corruption. You have no one to turn to if you get robbed on the street, as even the cops are in on it. And that's not even touching the basic necessities that people CAN'T get. Maduro hasn't done shit to fix anything. So go ahead Trump, take down the regime.

5taquitos

As a Venezuelan who still has a lot of family down there - I'd gladly agree to Trump doing anything to take Maduro and his regime down. It's very, very bad in Venezuela with all the crime, murders, rapes, and corruption. You have no one to turn to if you get robbed on the street, as even the cops are in on it. And that's not even touching the basic necessities that people CAN'T get. Maduro hasn't done shit to fix anything. So go ahead Trump, take down the regime.
What's our track record for replacing regimes again?

I don't think you want this, as shitty as it may be there.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I know I can't say shit because I don't live in Venezuela, but holy shit a regime change is an unimaginably awful idea.

Look at how badly Bush botched Iraq, now imagine Donald Trump in charge of handling every change.

Eusis

I know I can't say shit because I don't live in Venezuela, but holy shit a regime change is an unimaginably awful idea.

Look at how badly Bush botched Iraq, now imagine Donald Trump in charge of handling every change.
Best case scenario we'd have the gaudiest motherfuckers installed into office.

We won't get the best case scenario.

Top Bottom