• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truth & Trolls |OT| The Brothers Were Right

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
afde4a_608a55bfeda72b09ded786f9ce9cbde1.png_srz_205_111_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz

"Trolls cannot change truth but truth changes trolls." -Ancient Troll Proverbs

Truth and Trolls™ is an epic episodic RPG game that's been kickstarted and in the making for four months now. More amazingly, it's been developed by a 9-year old. There's also absolutely nothing shady about it or its development, what I'm linking to was created by a bunch of haters and trolls, who got to Keep Up™ with the fact that a 40-year old sounding 9-year olds on Twitter needs money to make her first game. Susan Wilson should be congratulated for supporting her child to go after her dreams and make a video game and show her dumb brothers what girl power is all about.

Here's the Box Art by A. Dingo:

image-301020-full.jpg

The game was revealed today to be episodic:

TODAY is the FIRST big release day but the truth is there will be a number of big days. One thing we all learned after a few frustrating weeks is that it’s not just difficult for a 9 year old to create, commit and execute a story line and long-term plan (with long-term being anything beyond 2 weeks), it’s mentally and physically impossible!

Truth & Trolls is being made in RPG Maker, and will be split-up into 15 minute long 'episodic' sessions that will be released over time, with the first episode being released today (July 31st). It is available for purchase for $9.99 for the standard edition, and a deluxe edition for $29.99: http://www.truthandtrolls.com/

However, before you pull out those credit cards and give all your money to one of the most stupidly successful scam artist out there to help the cause of a 9-year old just trying to prove that girls can make games too, take the time to look at who we really are.

The-Truth-Is-Out-There.jpg

I am going to be part of the greater troll good and be leaving a troll diary impressions of this absolutely hyped phenomenon later on today when it is released. Any and all impressions are welcome.

Dio

Banned
So she set out to prove her brothers wrong and that she could too make a game, failed, and now there's a game being made by a full development team about all the trolls who descended on her mom's marketing-savvy kickstarter page, the most passive aggressive thing ever?

Am I summing this up right?

So she set out to prove her brothers wrong and that she could too make a game, failed, and now there's a game being made by a full development team about all the trolls who descended on her mom's marketing-savvy kickstarter page, the most passive aggressive thing ever?

What???

Come on, Kotaku or some other website. Report on this shitty and shady practices instead of defending it!!!

Dusk Golem

The parents are known scammers who have done several scams on sites before, but in such a way that the people "get what they paid for," but what they're paying for is a scam. The original story was that her two brothers are apparently super sexist pigs that told 9-year old Kenzie she couldn't make a game, so then we got some Kickstarter to pay for her to go to RPG Maker camp, which in itself is a scam. It was pointed out many times everything that the Kickstarter was violating and against the sites rules, but Kickstarter refused to do anything about it, maybe having to do that the mom of the girl is a millionaire who made a lot of her money through debt collecting.

Things have gotten more and more ridiculous, but it was funded, Kenzie got a new laptop to help make the game (a mac, which is notable as Macs can't even run RPG Maker), now they're thinking of possibly making future episodes in Unity or something, and apparently paying people to make the game partially with Kenzie as the 'director', but she keeps changing her mind as 9-years olds do, but then it's questionable if any of this is even true as Kenzie's twitter is really suspicious, unless it is normal of 9-year olds to talk about economic websites and drinking alcohol with their mothers, amongst various other things.

There's way too much to say, but it's gotten to the point the whole thing almost seems like some big joke, and worst of all it seems no site is willing to report anything but good things about 'a 9-year old overcoming all odds!' story, ignoring everything that has been uncovered and proven by people here on GAF or the simple shadiness of the whole thing.

Well, no. There is no dev team, and I doubt the 9 year old in question has been near RPG Maker. This is pretty much Susan on her own, and I would also doubt there's going to be anything else after this.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
unless it is normal of 9-year olds to talk about economic websites and drinking alcohol with their mothers, amongst various other things.
Haven't kept up with the original thread but they seriously posted things like that A HA HA HA.

Dio

Banned
The parents are known scammers who have done several scams on sites before, but in such a way that the people "get what they paid for," but what they're paying for is a scam.

Well, no. There is no dev team, and I doubt the 9 year old in question has been near RPG Maker. This is pretty much Susan on her own, and I would also doubt there's going to be anything else after this.

Okay, thanks. I wasn't completely up on the events. I remember hearing about this a long time ago and being really suspicious.

I was assuming there was a 'dev team' since Susan said 'we' and obviously wasn't including her daughter in that equation. I was imagining a team of people including Susan and the artist they hired to make that cover art realizing how hard making a game is, even a terrible RPG maker one.

LordCanti

I want to go inside the mind of a backer and see if this recent update "It's impossible!" is believable to them (because they're incredibly stupid) or if they've finally realized it was a scam.

In either case, nice OP.

Just wanna see some gaming-outlet reports on this, because IIRC a lot defended her shit and now you can see she was a scammer all along...

Dusk Golem

God help me.

bz5i.png

There was no confirmation email sent, no 'thanks for buying' page, it just took my money and sent me back to the same screen I pressed the order button. I already feel like an idiot for doing this, but will leave really extensive full impressions later, taking everything into account, as I don't want to put these $10 to waste. Missed my chance to get my copy signed by Kenzie for only $20 more, plus $6 shipping and handling.

Dio

Banned
God help me.

bz5i.png

There was no confirmation email sent, no 'thanks for buying' page, it just took my money and sent me back to the same screen I pressed the order button. I already feel like an idiot for doing this, but will leave really extensive full impressions later, taking everything into account, as I don't want to put these $10 to waste. Missed my chance to get my copy signed by Kenzie for only $20 more, plus $6 shipping and handling.

Well, you did it for all of us. Godspeed brave warrior.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hopefully they are so incompetent they send you the RPG Maker files so you can edit them to your hearts content.

Rouse

Set up a Gaf kickstarter for the tenner you have spent, I am sure enough people will put in just so you can tell us what it is like!

Set up a Gaf kickstarter for the tenner you have spent, I am sure enough people will put in just so you can tell us what it is like!

Make a detailed plan and diary who you want to get your money back. Maybe I am backing it. I guess my money is 100% safe with you?

LordCanti

I know Kotaku did it before, but now you can really see this is a scam. You have all the facts now and they could do another article about it.

There's no way it'll happen. For one thing, no one has the integrity to admit that they were wrong, but for another thing, we've only recently had some pretty nasty "gamers hate women" events on twitter and elsewhere, and no one is going to dare touch the other side of that clusterfuck.

I know Kotaku did it before, but now you can really see this is a scam. You have all the facts now and they could do another article about it.

Another article from Kotaku would only be worthwhile if they make sure that the same person that wrote the original one also wrote this one. He came out in defense of this campaign, so he should be the one to do the followup on it.

So many world records broken here:

- most expensive game by a 9 year old ever
- highest number of "Donate" buttons on a game's official page ever
- shortest ever game with a $24K budget
- first ever OT of a 9 year old's game on neoGAF (?)

inm8num2

God help me.

bz5i.png

Wait, why did you do that?

With your $10 the game will now be so much bigger in scope that it will take longer to finish.

Dio

Banned
I feel sorry for the daughter of that woman.

Me too. I remember seeing that video a while back where she was talking about Naruto or some shit and I personally don't think she's even really involved with this project much anymore, she had a cool idea like all kids though.

Hell, I wanted to make a podracer out of junk parts at the local junkyard and figured it'd cost about 600 dollars when I was like 10 years old (I had just seen The Phantom Menace).

There's no way it'll happen. For one thing, no one has the integrity to admit that they were wrong, but for another thing, we've only recently had some pretty nasty "gamers hate women" events on twitter and elsewhere, and no one is going to dare touch the other side of that clusterfuck.

What Gamers hate women events?

This kickstarter didnt even have to do anything about a gender-issue other than what Susan made up. The whole discussion about it is that its a scam.
People criticise the KS because of scamming tactics, not because of the gender...

Azih

This kickstarter didnt even have to do anything about a gender-issue other than what Susan made up. The whole discussion about it is that its a scam.
People criticise the KS because of scamming tactics, not because of the gender...

That's not how Susan Wilson spun it. And her spin stuck.

LordCanti

The lady behind the gender-issues kickstarter (I forget her name, but she makes youtube videos about gender issues in games I guess) got awful tweets directed at her, and there was some gender related weirdness at comic-con recently I think.

Basically, no outlet is likely to run a story where they could potentially be labeled as misogynists, even if gender has absolutely nothing to do with it, because things are so charged right now.

Dusk Golem

Well, you did it for all of us. Godspeed brave warrior.

At the very least, I'm curious. And honestly, I've played a ton of RPG Maker games, I'll keep things in mind and go in with an open mind. I've played other 'person's first game' RPG Maker games, and some games I heavily suspected were from children, let's see what a child with four months and a $24k budget can do.

Hopefully they are so incompetent they send you the RPG Maker files so you can edit them to your hearts content.

Shhhh, I have a hope of this but I have my suspicion since GAF has probably been the most critical of the project and talked the most about it, they're likely eyeing this place.

Pft, probably bad I had a chuckle at that.

Make a detailed plan and diary who you want to get your money back. Maybe I am backing it. I guess my money is 100% safe with you?

Your theoretical money's as safe as it is certain that Kenzie's Twitter account is utilized by a 9-year old.

Are you paying $10 for each 15-minutes-chunk? Or do you get the entire game for $10?

I honestly don't know, obviously hoping the latter so I don't need to throw more of my money into the abyss for the future.

So many world records broken here:

- most expensive game by a 9 year old ever
- highest number of "Donate" buttons on a game's official page ever
- shortest ever game with a $24K budget
- first ever OT of a 9 year old's game on neoGAF (?)

Someone contact Geniuses Book of World Records.

Wait, why did you do that?

With your $10 the game will now be so much bigger in scope that it will take longer to finish.

Dang, least my money is being put to obvious good use.

I am honestly curious, for better or worse I actually have some spare money right now and was just recently paid, and if I'm making the OT I better at least play it, and can extensively show what it's like to those curious here. I'm also familiar with RPG Maker so if there's something original about it, I'll spot it.

His 15 minutes fame for $10. Fair deal.

This as well. Also making at least some back as I'll be playing it on my Livestream channel and uploading it to my YouTube channel, so getting some back with that YouTube ad revenue, that is until the game is licensed by Nintendo.

I feel sorry for the daughter of that woman.

Honestly, this has been my strongest feeling through all of this.

The value of this game makes it more expensive than a drink in London.

I'm both surprised and not surprised about the price, especially the deluxe edition.

JDSN

Banned

What do you honestly sells more clicks with less consecuences? Lashing out against a safe mass of silent unnamed targets or pointing out that a probably sue-happy victim complex twat is using her child to beg for cash?

kitsuneyo

Susan Wilson said:
A special thank you to every single Kickstarter backer - especially those that sent encouraging messages reiterating expectations that this is the first video game made by a 9 year old. It is NOT from a professional gaming studio or a group of contractors with Kenzie as Project Manager.

That being said, we were fortunate to work with some amazing individuals that needed a shot and some help to get their skills to the next level (and I'd imagine some bills paid).

This woman is a master of doublespeak.

Paz

I'm terrible at using this term, but surely there is some significant irony in the people who hate this project the most continuing to spread word of its existence. I'd say a good chunk of their funding & continued interest is driven by outraged people keeping the story alive.

Dusk Golem

I'm terrible at using this term, but surely there is some significant irony in the people who hate this project the most continuing to spread word of its existence. I'd say a good chunk of their funding & continued interest is driven by outraged people keeping the story alive.

The irony hasn't escaped me, and obviously they succeeded to some level if they made me chip $10 to this today. That said, you'd be surprised how dedicated apparent 'fans' or real supporters were behind the game's funding.

The games media reporting inaccurate accounts of the events that took place kept it going. If they had reported that it was incredibly suspicious, kickstarter would have been pressured to take it down. Since they reported the exact opposite (that gamers were assholes), kickstarter had no reason to take the project down, and gullible people probably saw those stories and figured they'd chip in a few bucks.

This as well. I do think it's healthy to talk about it, especially since of all the bullshit that's surrounded it. It also is technically a funded, sold, and now about to be released game. I also will also shamefully admit I somewhat amused by the whole thing, mixed with the fact I also think it's a terrible message to send out about doing your first game.

LordCanti

The games media reporting inaccurate accounts of the events that took place kept it going. If they had reported that it was incredibly suspicious, kickstarter would have been pressured to take it down. Since they reported the exact opposite (that gamers were assholes), kickstarter had no reason to take the project down, and gullible people probably saw those stories and figured they'd chip in a few bucks.

I never had any respect for Kotaku (it's a clickbaiting rag), but this story made me lose any respect I may have had for the news department over at Penny-Arcade.

rottame

Me too. I remember seeing that video a while back where she was talking about Naruto or some shit and I personally don't think she's even really involved with this project much anymore, she had a cool idea like all kids though.

I have the same feeling. As a father, I find this whole thing pretty fucking disgusting. You don't put your kids in situations like this one, you don't create projects where they have responsabilities based on something they say when they are 9, you don't shame two of your kids painting them as they bad guys in order to ask for money. Absolutely disgusting.

Hell, I wanted to make a podracer out of junk parts at the local junkyard and figured it'd cost about 600 dollars when I was like 10 years old (I had just seen The Phantom Menace).

:D
I wanted to make games. I'm happy my parents didn't look for money to finance them, cause I'm pretty sure they were based on really shitty design ideas.

Zoe

Things have gotten more and more ridiculous, but it was funded, Kenzie got a new laptop to help make the game (a mac, which is notable as Macs can't even run RPG Maker),

Correction: Dell provided her with a free Alienware laptop.

I feel bad for the daughter being thrown into all this because of her mother. $10 says the daughter doesn't even care much about this whole thing to begin with and the mother's farming out the development to someone else.

I guess if nothing else some amusing Let's Plays should come from this.

Dusk Golem

Correction: Dell provided her with a free Alienware laptop.

Thank you for correcting that, I must of missed the part as I did take a period of being busy and hadn't checked the thread around the time of a month or two, the thing I recalled was about a mac laptop they were going to use money for, but seems Alienware had them covered.

That's another thing too, how much free stuff they've been getting as they also got to go meet some game designers and learn stuff from them, and if I remember correctly they also got some game engine licenses for free. I think part of the reason I and others are so sarcastic about a lot of this is that they're seemingly pulling a perfect scam scheme, even to the point the people against it are 'supporting' her.

Top Bottom