• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truth & Trolls |OT| The Brothers Were Right

Zoe

Thank you for correcting that, I must of missed the part as I did take a period of being busy and hadn't checked the thread around the time of a month or two, the thing I recalled was about a mac laptop they were going to use money for, but seems Alienware had them covered.

That's another thing too, how much free stuff they've been getting as they also got to go meet some game designers and learn stuff from them, and if I remember correctly they also got some game engine licenses for free.

Yeah, they ended up also going to some Dell entrepreneur week in Turkey and then one-on-one lessons at MIT.

Paz

The irony hasn't escaped me, and obviously they succeeded to some level if they made me chip $10 to this today. That said, you'd be surprised how dedicated apparent 'fans' or real supporters were behind the game's funding.

Oh I have no doubt of the real fans that support the game, I just think people tend to underestimate the benefit of being in the public eye.

And with that I suppose I should take my own advice and move on to talk about something else :)

Parallacs

Amazing OP. I am just picturing the brothers right now standing on the beach writing Boobs in the sand.

Good thing I didn't have $200 to spend back in April. I can't imagine how a weapon master would be happy with getting their weapon put in a 15 minute minigame.

Kinyou

One thing we all learned after a few frustrating weeks is that it’s not just difficult for a 9 year old to create, commit and execute a story line and long-term plan (with long-term being anything beyond 2 weeks), it’s mentally and physically impossible!
Oh god, this too funny. The entire point of the KS just flew out the window (ok that arguably happened a long time ago, but now even Susan admits it)

inm8num2

Oh god, this too funny. The entire point of the KS just flew out the window (ok that arguably happened a long time ago, but now even Susan admits it)

The only point of the KS was for Susan to jump on a bandwagon and advertise herself as a brand in the name of women/STEM/gaming/etc.

Now everyone shut up and FUND HER!

Parallacs

is that it’s not just difficult for a 9 year old to create, commit and execute a story line and long-term plan (with long-term being anything beyond 2 weeks), it’s mentally and physically impossible!

Maybe you should have sent Kenzie to that RPG camp?

You know, that one that you signed her up for?

The one that you started a kickstarter for?

The one that teaches how to properly use RPG maker and would probably help iron the story out?

The one you skipped to go to Turkey to hang with the Dell family during violent protests?

ido

Not that it hasn't been mentioned before a million times over... but I just love how the entire plot of the game is essentially a fabricated tale of how Susan feels she was treated throughout this entire process.

I don't know why, but it really irritates me when she uses the word troll.

Parallacs

Not that it hasn't been mentioned before a million times over... but I just love how the entire plot of the game is essentially a fabricated tale of how Susan feels she was treated throughout this entire process.

I don't know why, but it really irritates me when she uses the word troll.

It bugged me when the kickstarter supporters would shout "troll" and "hater" at anyone offering a valid criticism.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It's been 4 months now? Wow, time flies!

Will this take the place of Bad Rats as the new Steam Sale joke gift? I hope not.

wrowa

God help me.

bz5i.png

There was no confirmation email sent, no 'thanks for buying' page, it just took my money and sent me back to the same screen I pressed the order button. I already feel like an idiot for doing this, but will leave really extensive full impressions later, taking everything into account, as I don't want to put these $10 to waste. Missed my chance to get my copy signed by Kenzie for only $20 more, plus $6 shipping and handling.

I'm ... disgusted by you. How could you do that. You are the leader of the resistance, the rebel fighting for good. And now... this is treason.

Although I guess it likely is a pretty fucking scary horror game.

Shaneus

Set up a Gaf kickstarter for the tenner you have spent, I am sure enough people will put in just so you can tell us what it is like!
Damnit, you beat me to it!

At the very least, I'm curious. And honestly, I've played a ton of RPG Maker games, I'll keep things in mind and go in with an open mind. I've played other 'person's first game' RPG Maker games, and some games I heavily suspected were from children, let's see what a child with four months and a $24k budget can do.
This is good, because I wouldn't have known the difference between one that was and one that wasn't. Could you recommend any good ones just for the sake of comparison?

Also, we should get Giant Bomb to do a QL of this. They did one for that shitty motorcycle/biker game, why not this?

Oh I have no doubt of the real fans that support the game, I just think people tend to underestimate the benefit of being in the public eye.

And with that I suppose I should take my own advice and move on to talk about something else :)
I think there's also that fringe though of being in the public eye *just* enough (see: getting a mention on Kotaku) for people to be hooked in but uninformed enough to not bother thinking twice about what's behind it.

Now stop posting here and get back to work on AAC :p

It's been 4 months now? Wow, time flies!

Will this take the place of Bad Rats as the new Steam Sale joke gift? I hope not.

There's a new contender for the premium gift game bracket when you want to spend that little bit extra - Secret of The Magic Crystals but nothing will beat the 29p bundle of joy that is Bad Rats.

I feel really bad for Kenzie whenever i read about this Truth and Trolls game. Part of me wants it to turn out well inspite of her mom.

inm8num2

I can't wait for the 9-year-old's plot to be all about how the innocent entrepreneurial mom was slandered by hateful internet trolls.

Yes Boss!

Very cool!

Was not expecting an offical GAF OT since they've been hard on the game.

Excited for the release, but sad I only could afford a $150 at the time of the Kickstarter.

Wait, after all that fuss she ultimately didn't even go the camp at all? I thought that was the entire stated purpose of the KS.

Wait, after all that fuss she ultimately didn't even go the camp at all? I thought that was the entire stated purpose of the KS.

No, they abandoned the idea of going on RPG camp already while the KS project was still running. Because the trolls would find Kenzie on the camp and there were death/rape threats and stuff (which Susan still tried to exploit until today on truthandtrolls.com).

Instead she went to Massachussetts for a week long 101 session with Philip Tan from MIT Game Lab.

Gold Member
Ahhh the memories I repressed 4 months ago just came flooding back to me. Not nice.

Those blind backers with their even worse KS comments, especially that one freaky stalker dude pissed me off beyond belief.

Anyhow, we're here now - I can't believe she actually got something out the door, episodic no less (she knows how to milk a cash cow alright - I'm guessing episodic is code for "lacking content"). Looking forward to reading you thoughts on it Dusk Golem :)

Ahhh the memories I repressed 4 months ago just came flooding back to me. Not nice.

Those blind backers with their even worse KS comments, especially that one freaky stalker dude pissed me off beyond belief.

Anyhow, we're here now - I can't believe she actually got something out the door, episodic no less (she knows how to milk a cash cow alright - I'm guessing episodic is code for "lacking content"). Looking forward to reading you thoughts on it Dusk Golem :)

You don't even have to guess. The first episode is supposedly offering 15 minutes of gameplay. What can do in 15 minutes? They probably have one NPC you have to talk to in order to progress, and that NPC is very will hidden and keeps you busy for 15 minutes. ;-)

So many world records broken here:

- most expensive game by a 9 year old ever
- highest number of "Donate" buttons on a game's official page ever
- shortest ever game with a $24K budget
- first ever OT of a 9 year old's game on neoGAF (?)

There wasn't an OT for Sissy's Magical Ponycorn Adventure by a 5 year old girl and her dad?

promoGame2.jpg

ponycorns.jpeg

There was a thread at least.

I would hope the former. We are talking about a young girl's education here, afterall.

Are you... The Art Factory, by any chance? ;-)

(Everybody seems to satisfied on there...)

Comments on the latest Kickstarter update said:
The Art Factory 32 minutes ago
so very very very awesome... thanks for being so talented... and perseverant, determined and putting so many months into your efforts... the discipline is beginning to show in every little detail .,... v ery very very very goood effort... i'm super proud of your work... peace

Greta - KG Pinkerton Rd AGL589 Mem. AGRM 40 minutes ago
That is an awesome graphic.
For a designer of Kenzie's age - makes perfect sense to release in chapters. So no worries on that, more important to keep everything on an even keel. Especially with school starting soon, that will need to take priority.
Can't wait to play chapter 1!

Nadine F. about 1 hour ago
Amazing cover art, can't wait to see the game and get playing!

Sarah Brighton about 3 hours ago
The cover art is stunning!

Keith Bowden about 3 hours ago
Very eager to see the first installment! Kenzie rocks!

ET3D about 5 hours ago
I love the cover art.

Bryan Gaffin about 5 hours ago
Congratulations! Looking forward to game 1- will give a whirl with my 7 yr old later....

Gold Member
You don't even have to guess. The first episode is supposedly offering 15 minutes of gameplay. What can do in 15 minutes? They probably have one NPC you have to talk to in order to progress, and that NPC is very will hidden and keeps you busy for 15 minutes. ;-)

A WHOLE 15 MINUTES WOW!!!!!

Lmao what's that like 66cents a minute or something? Oh my, Dusk Golem I toff my hat to you sir, you really did take one for the team.

Karu

Well... Thirty Flights of Loving is 15 minutes long. I'm sure this game will reach similar greatness. Sure.... sure?!

Dorrin

It should have been about the quest for a girl to find parents who actually care about something she is interested in. If any of you caught the youtube video Susan posted with her daughter during the kickstarter it was obvious the kid was starved for atttention. The one thing she cares about in the world was Naruto and her mom didn't even know what any of it was. Must ignore her 99% of the time to focus on her 'business projects'.

Parallacs

So Susan hinted at what the game content would be based on the cover. I can see two names, Wilson and Buchanan. Wilson is obviously Susan.

Who is Buchanan?

What do the runes represent? What do the 5 points on the crown mean? Since this is an RPG, how will my characters transfer from episode to episode? Something like Mass Effect? So many questions!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Maybe you should have sent Kenzie to that RPG camp?

You know, that one that you signed her up for?

The one that you started a kickstarter for?

The one that teaches how to properly use RPG maker and would probably help iron the story out?

The one you skipped to go to Turkey to hang with the Dell family during violent protests?

Even that was shady though. RPG Maker Camp is a scam in itself, and honestly, there is more information online on how to learn RPG Maker with some wonderful tutorials and guides. And the original Kickstarter itself was violating KS rules anyways.

I'm ... disgusted by you. How could you do that. You are the leader of the resistance, the rebel fighting for good. And now... this is treason.

Although I guess it likely is a pretty fucking scary horror game.
Obviously need to be locked away, impeach me and all that.

It has the potential for an interesting horror story. I actually don't think games have used much social documentary with their horror like a lot of other mediums have, especially on Zombies. I actually think Dead Rising was the closest, and that was sort of borrowing the message from Dawn of the Dead about consumers.

This is good, because I wouldn't have known the difference between one that was and one that wasn't. Could you recommend any good ones just for the sake of comparison?

Also, we should get Giant Bomb to do a QL of this. They did one for that shitty motorcycle/biker game, why not this?

I think there's also that fringe though of being in the public eye *just* enough (see: getting a mention on Kotaku) for people to be hooked in but uninformed enough to not bother thinking twice about what's behind it.

Now stop posting here and get back to work on AAC :p

I have main interest in (ironically) RPG Maker games that don't utilize a typical RPG engine (horror games especially, but also action adventure, strategy RPG, and visual novel games). If you like horror, some of the best of the best includes Ib, Yume Nikki, Witch's House, Corpse Party, Ao Oni, Mad Father, .flow, etc.

Why are we honoring this with an OT?

Everything surrounding it.

Parallacs

Even that was shady though. RPG Maker Camp is a scam in itself, and honestly, there is more information online on how to learn RPG Maker with some wonderful tutorials and guides. And the original Kickstarter itself was violating KS rules anyways.

Yeah, I totally agree that it would have to fall under tuition, violating kickstarter's rules. You are probably right that the camp is a scam, however I seriously doubt a 9 year old would be competent at reading tutorials and guides on the internet. I had trouble at 9 reading a 3 step guide on how to make a baking soda volcano.

Anyways, I can't wait to hear the impressions on your playthrough. A lets play on youtube would be so awesome.

Syntax

The games media reporting inaccurate accounts of the events that took place kept it going. If they had reported that it was incredibly suspicious, kickstarter would have been pressured to take it down. Since they reported the exact opposite (that gamers were assholes), kickstarter had no reason to take the project down, and gullible people probably saw those stories and figured they'd chip in a few bucks.

I never had any respect for Kotaku (it's a clickbaiting rag), but this story made me lose any respect I may have had for the news department over at Penny-Arcade.
Lord Canti's been pretty spot on why we won't see any follow up articles that reverse an outlet's position on the Kickstarter project. Lately the women-vs-the-world scene has become fashionable so anything that can be construed as an attack on women - especially with a 9 year old girl involved - is going to get the coldest of receptions. Kitsuneyo's post exemplifies this, and he's a fellow Gaffer.

Yep. We should remember that there is a kid involved in this, who probably still thinks of the game as her work. Publicly ridiculing the game itself might not be the nicest thing to do.
So like I mentioned in the other thread, Susan's got an almost iron clad scam going here. Free money, no consequences, no accountability. Raise even a little suspicion toward the project and she raises Kenzie, human shield extraordinaire, right back.

So like I mentioned in the other thread, Susan's got an almost iron clad scam going here. Free money, no consequences, no accountability. Raise even a little suspicion toward the project and she raises Kenzie, human shield extraordinaire, right back.

She's doing that very same thing now:

- Game not finished, you say? Yeah, it's Kenzie's fault. She's not capable physically and psychologically to pull it off. So frustrating (for me) these past weeks.

Edit: what kind of mother does that anyway?

- Game not finished, you say? Yeah, it's Kenzie's fault. She's not capable physically and psychologically to pull it off. So frustrating (for me) these past weeks.

Whoa, where did she say this? It's almost too incredible to believe and I've been following this on gaf since it started.

Whoa, where did she say this? It's almost too incredible to believe and I've been following this on gaf since it started.

Today's KS update:

Susan Wilson said:
TODAY is the FIRST big release day but the truth is there will be a number of big days. One thing we all learned after a few frustrating weeks is that it’s not just difficult for a 9 year old to create, commit and execute a story line and long-term plan (with long-term being anything beyond 2 weeks), it’s mentally and physically impossible!

The game is not finished and yet again she's using Kenzie as a shield. If she takes notice of Kenzie being unable to pull this off (which she should've known beforehand), she could've either get someone else on the project to help Kenzie out, or delay the game, and explain the situation to the backers. Maybe even take the blame for it, because that would be the right thing to do as she's the one that set the deadline for Kenzie after all. But no: it's because Kenzie is incapable of pulling it off, because you know "she's 9", that we have to cut this game into 15 minute chunks.

I mean, would a perfectly sane person ever believe that it was easy for a 9 year old "to create, commit and execute a story line and long-term plan"?

inm8num2

The entrepreneurial kind.

The entrepreneurial kind.

Yeah, about that... Wiki says:

"An entrepreneur (Listeni/ˌɒntrəprəˈnɜr/, a loanword from French) is an individual who organizes and operates a business or businesses, taking on financial risk to do so."

I think's she's more like a poser-entrepeur or a would-be one or so.

Edit: but I know you were being sarcastic. ;-)

inm8num2

Don't besmirch Susan, foobarry! She's taken on plenty of risk!

First she threw her sons under the bus.

Then she used her daughter as a shield for the criticism directed at her greed and dishonesty.

Now she cowers behind a wall of 'secrecy' and barely communicates with her backers.

But that doesn't stop her from tweeting constantly at celebrities and begging people to give her more money.

Don't besmirch Susan, foobarry! She's taken on plenty of risk!

First she threw her sons under the bus.

Then she used her daughter as a shield for the criticism directed at her greed and dishonesty.

Now she cowers behind a wall of 'secrecy' and barely communicates with her backers.

But that doesn't stop her from tweeting constantly at celebrities and begging people to give her more money.

Plenty of risk indeed. People might start to think she's a shamelessly greedy scammer because of all these actions.

But I don't see any financial risk in there... ;-)

inm8num2

Plenty of risk indeed. People might start to think she's a shamelessly greedy scammer because of all these actions.

But I don't see any financial risk in there... ;-)

The financial risk comes into play because if Susan hadn't done all those things I listed, she would have had to buy her daughter a laptop. But she put herself out there like the brave little entrepreneur she is and managed to save herself a few hundred bucks (while getting a much better laptop than she had originally intended).

Not only that, she risked other people's money and time to help out with the "game". That's still a risk, right?

Top Bottom