• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truth & Trolls |OT| The Brothers Were Right

inm8num2

Is there anything in Kickstarter TOS in not fullfilling rewards? I know some funded projects never actually get done due to issues, but I would think not receiving a reward like that should account for breaking some kind of rule?

If it does violate any TOS, Kickstarter will just amend the TOS. :p

What's funny is how those people are getting nothing but silence in response. I wonder if they've tried e-mailing or tweeting at Susan?

And let's not forget that Susan was shipping some of these rewards ("Keep Up!" koozies, shirts, etc.) shortly after the kickstarter finished - she likely had most of that garbage on hand from whatever previous bullshit entrepreneurial endeavor on which she embarked.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
It's true. Susan proved that they can change their own rules at will :/
I'm sure the stuff was junk lying around too, and well, she got to busy to MAKE any more to send out cause entrepreneurial endeavors and Tweets make her a busy body! Plus Kenzie is ONLY 9/10!

And let's not forget that Susan was shipping some of these rewards ("Keep Up!" koozies, shirts, etc.) shortly after the kickstarter finished - she likely had most of that garbage on hand from whatever previous bullshit entrepreneurial endeavor on which she embarked.

What are you talking about? Susan clearly stated that half of the $24K was spent on reward fulfillment!

Which is extremely generous of Susan! For comparison, the "A Hat in Time" Kickstarter made $296,360 and only spent $1,500 on rewards.

So clearly the Truth & Trolls backers got way more value for money. About time they start realizing that, and drop the attitude. Rock on Kenzie!

5e952e3b619c650e1c29a69d110bb7d4_large.png

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonaskaerlev/a-hat-in-time-3d-collect-a-thon-platformer

inm8num2

What are you talking about? Susan clearly stated that half of the $24K was spent on reward fulfillment!

Which is extremely generous of Susan! For comparison, the "A Hat in Time" Kickstarter made $296,360 and only spent $1,500 on rewards.

So clearly the Truth & Trolls backers got way more value for money. About time they start realizing that, and drop the attitude. Rock on Kenzie!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/625/025/5e952e3b619c650e1c29a69d110bb7d4_large.png[/IMGs]

[url]https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonaskaerlev/a-hat-in-time-3d-collect-a-thon-platformer[/url][/QUOTE]

Plus the spoiled backers should realize it's their fault if Susan's budget for reward fulfillment wasn't high enough - they designed her budget, after all.

Plus the spoiled backers should realize it's their fault if Susan's budget for reward fulfillment wasn't high enough - they designed her budget, after all.

Truth be told, when designing the budget they couldn't have known that Susan would only get a free $2,500 laptop. They, like Susan, would've probably figured that because of her natural charisma and leadership as a female entrepreneur, she would get more freebies.

Also the bloody trolls stopped her momentum.

malfcn

Never noticed, but the website has been updated.
No more mention of any beta, just $7.99 for the unencrypted (so you can mod) game.

Whoops, looks like others already saw this update.

Never noticed, but the website has been updated.
No more mention of any beta, just $7.99 for the unencrypted (so you can mod make it an actual finished product instead of a proof of concept based on RPG Maker templates) game.

Whoops, looks like others already saw this update.

Fixed that for you.

Fast Approaching a year. WHAT A YEAR IT HAS BEEN.

Secretly hoping for a "burning of the source code" video to fall in line with other catastrophic kickstarters.

inm8num2

Check out the recent comments from backers:

Corey Woolley 1 day ago

5 Months.. No Update.

and now it's 8 months over their expected deadline.

Wyng'd Lyon Creations 4 days ago

Has anyone heard anything or gotten any of their rewards besides the beta?

They only have themselves to blame...

Haha. :)

Kaedryl - Obsidian's Mad Doctor 1 day ago

The open code is now available on the website so you can make the truth your own...for $7.99. I would say that means we're all done here. Hope you enjoyed the show, learned a little something about human nature and be sure to shut off the lights on your way out.

inm8num2

LOL too funny to be true.

*visits T&T website*

*shakes head*

It's funny how this scam went from "Send my kid to coding camp" to "Pay us to drive to MIT and have Philip Tan make the game" to "Pay us to make the game for us".

It is almost sad that the whole thing went down like the Trolls predicted.

Well, who won in the grand scheme of things ?

Susan ? Because she got some of dat sweet $ ?

We ? Because the Internet never forgets and this despicable woman has attached her face to a clear scam....and we were ultimately right ?

I really hope some of the Susan Wilson fanclub are watching closely and....as Kaedryl said...learned a little something about ignoring countless red flags and dismissing common sense because ....well....yeah.

email update.
So sorry for the delay but we had some technical issues and ultimately lost EVERY single Truth & Trolls email. We’re working on the important stuff because recreating it all is impossible. First and foremost, we need to get your SWAG BAGS out the door to you. Fortunately I ordered the items when I had the sizes (see pic) but since then the emails disintegrated so I don’t know who gets what size or where to send each bag.

Please read on because Kenzie wants your advice on a few things but no matter what, please be sure to hit “Reply” above and answer these 3 questions so you can get your SWAG this week:

The plan is to do a Kickstarter update later today or tomorrow with a link to download the unencrypted game. Anyone without RPGMaker can play as usual, but for those interested that have RPGMaker, they can actually look under the hood and springboard off of what Kenzie started and go on to create their own vision or version of the game). Kenzie’s curious to know what others do with the characters and fairly certain she’ll learn more about making games if she does it this way rather than just releasing the encrypted game. I think she’s envisioning a community where people have fun and expand on the game she started. She’s ten and has pretty thick skin from her brother but she’s a little worried about her mom (i.e., me being vilified). I said I wasn’t scared because I knew the truth and I hope any negativity or meanness is at least funny and actually teaches us something in the process. Sarcasm and dry wit are fair game (and encouraged) but hopefully outright meanness will be shut down by the group. Either way, it’s going back to the power of the crowd.

So…the goal here is to give this group – our official beta team – a heads up and see if you had any advice or feedback before posting the Kickstarter Update and releasing the game to the public. The thinking is to open it up so anyone can download the game for free but we’re torn between charging a slight premium for the unencrypted game to non-Kickstarters so the funds can be used to further Kenzie’s passion project to get more kids coding and playing with technology. In addition to making her first video game, she’s decided she wants to be CEO of her own company, Kenzie & Company (a work in process), to create engaging play alternatives that ultimately introduce and teach younger kids about technology, programming and entrepreneurship. Today, most energy in this area is directed at high school kids but by then, those teenagers think they know it all and frankly it’s too late to really engage them. Kenzie actually wonders what she’d being doing now if she’d started learning about coding and technology earlier.

After meeting over 500 female CEOs, Kenzie decided that’s what she wanted to do next. Despite being ten (or precisely because she’s ten), she just assumes it’s doable. And I’m certainly not going to tell her it’s not. I’d love to hear what you all think? As always, honest and candid feedback as well as new ideas are both encouraged and appreciated because now more than ever, we realize we don’t know what we don’t know!

In addition to making some fun Android apps (including what she’s called Whack-a-Troll, Whack-a-Brother and Sarcastic Magic 8 Ball), Kenzie and her Dad have created a card game that mimics a bit of Magic the Gathering’s gameplay where you battle one another for victory but it’s far simpler and intended specifically for kids but is fun and quick enough for adults to play with them. The goal of the game is to gather together the cards needed to complete a computer system before your opponent. That’s a picture to the left of the cards Kenzie designed along with the instructions and game play details. She wants to do the next game as a battle to build a motherboard and then battles to create programs. So there’d be one game for creating a program with JavaScript and another for Scratch, Ruby, etc. She likes the overall name TechTitans with a sub-title for each game (e.g., TechTitans: Battle over Hardware). Yes? No? Maybe So?

I’m sure you’re incredibly busy so we truly appreciate your feedback and support AND LOOK FORWARD TO FINALLY GETTING YOU THESE KILLER SWAG BAGS KENZIE’S SO PROUD OF!

Thanks,
Susan (and Kenzie) Wilson

P.S. Don’t forget to at least reply with your shirt size and address. But I hope you’ll take a minute to share your feedback on the additional info. provided as Kenzie’s more likely to listen to you than me as she appears to enjoy doing THE EXACT OPPOSITE of whatever I say (which is why this has taken so long IMHO ;) & I apologize for that. But as this remains Kenzie’s project, it is what it is. Thanks again!

kqw6540.jpg

Thanks for sharing DMPrince! Good to see you might be getting some swag.

But... basically Kenzie's done working on Truth & Trolls, is now working on other stuff/becoming an entrepreneur, and people are supposed to complete their own game? Or am I being too negative? (soo much name dropping again... JavaScript, Scratch, Ruby...)

Also, I personally think Kenzie would learn more if she actually finished what she started, but I'm sure Susan's backers will love this explanation and will be happy to wait for another 6 months to the next update...

Btw, Susan is going to attend an entrepreneurial summit next month. She will attend as CEO of that huge bag of hot air called "FundHer". It doesn't even look like a real company.

NpQdY01.jpg

i should have used a business address or send it to a USPS station. can't deal with her knowing my real address but hey. she might "lose" the email again.

inm8num2

Can't wait for all the backers to help Susan's next kickstarter for the kid's new company. You know it's coming.

"She really delivered on Truth and Trolls. I'll be supporting Susan again!"

Can't wait for all the backers to help Susan's next kickstarter for the kid's new company. You know it's coming.

"She really delivered on Truth and Trolls. I'll be supporting Susan again!"

can't wait to beta test what she got. lol @ backers didn't get the uncrypted demo yet. "beta" members ftw.

can't wait to beta test what she got. lol @ backers didn't get the uncrypted demo yet. "beta" members ftw.

I'm hoping she didn't lose Dusk Golem's email and that he gets a "swag bag" too, since he bought the beta twice (and got instantly refunded twice too). Such loyalty should be rewarded, more so than all those backers and their nagging.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
The adventure continues! Speaking of Fundher, the best part of the site is the tag on the copyright info... Wow... talk about being professional!

Also, the more I read those "Keep Up!" phrases, the more I find them ironic... I mean, look at the "I drive like a girl... keep up!" bumper sticker. That's not flattering in the least bit! Heck, it's almost blatantly saying that woman drivers speed or something (indirectly saying they are bad drivers...)

As for the Kickstarter itself... HOW does one lose all of the emails?? Oh right, they got the money regardless, so whatever with trying to get out promised goods out in good timing! Going to more conferences is more important than the people that paid you, right??

I'm hoping she didn't lose Dusk Golem's email and that he gets a "swag bag" too, since he bought the beta twice (and got instantly refunded twice too). Such loyalty should be rewarded, more so than all those backers and their nagging.

i'm positive the non-kickstarter non beta buyers are getting it. i got into the beta through the beta sign up lol.

thanks backers.

inm8num2

I would like to take this moment and deeply thank Philip Tan Susan Wilson for providing an UNENCRYPTED game. I didn't think it was possible to do such a thing, but Susan shows once again that barriers and obstacles are meant to be broken.

Keep up!

I would like to take this moment and deeply thank Philip Tan Susan Wilson for providing an UNENCRYPTED game. I didn't think it was possible to do such a thing, but Susan shows once again that barriers and obstacles are meant to be broken.

Yeah, I'm pretty shocked that they managed to pull that off with just the $24K. I'd expected them to need additional funding to do that, just like when they made the game DRM free.

Also I absolutely love the spin:

Susan Wilson said:
Truth & Trolls is finally FREE.

Yes... "finally FREE". Not "finally FINISHED".

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oh wow, they actually released the source files.

Well maybe not quite yet due to the dropbox error.

mclem

Well isn't this a kick to the collective groin of the backers. xD

Well, to be fair, I don't think people were backing this with the intent of getting a cheap product!

Source files released?

This is gonna be fun.

Does RPGMaker have a commenting system in the scripting language (or whatever it uses)? Reading the comments in source code is often a source of amusement.

So, the file was uploaded 4 weeks ago. Which means they've been "final beta testing" hard these last few weeks... :)

FTGsnGt.jpg

Also new Kickstarter update:

Thanks to you amazing Kickstarter backers, the truth is finally coming to life. Download and play Truth & Trolls HERE. Or visit www.TruthandTrolls.com to learn more about the game and get detailed instructions on downloading the fully executable file because it offers some unique options.

Kenzie decided to release the unencrypted version of the game so if you have RPG Maker VX Ace, get under the hood and see what she created. She's hoping you'll add to it or create your own version of the game based on what you think should happen next. Again, it comes back to the POWER OF THE CROWD!

PLEASE NOTE we are unable to provide support should you choose to modify the original game (i.e., Kenzie's code) so we urge you to make a copy of the original file you download. Then, should there be an issue and you want to figure out what happened, you can easily get to Kenzie's original code.

Who knows what will happen next but Kenzie's nervous and hopeful that others have an opinion and want to make the game into something BIGGER and BETTER. Remember, this is the first game she ever created, she's self taught and she's eager to learn so PLEASE share your thoughts on Kenzie's Truth & Trolls Facebook page.

If you create your own version of the game, post a link so others can play and we can all learn the truth...or at least one version of it. Remember, this is intended to about an unraveling of truth, how things aren't always as they appear and how often the path we choose in life isn't what we anticipated but ends up with a completely new and more amazing happily ever after! Put some thought into it, have fun and get creative. Just remember, this is a game made by a 10 year old so please avoid any profanity. And while constructive criticism and exciting plot twists are truly hoped for, please try to keep things on a positive note with positive messaging.
Okay, maybe the truth escaped....Okay, maybe the truth escaped....

These people are really clueless.

Kickstarter update comment said:
Joanie Waelti about 14 hours ago
Congratulations Kenzie, you went all the way, you managed exactly what you wanted and what you promised. Thanks for letting us follow your adventure...

inm8num2

Aren't the source files basically the default/template that RPG maker includes?

Someone compared the world maps and there were just a few tiny differences.

Aren't the source files basically the default/template that RPG maker includes?

Someone compared the world maps and there were just a few tiny differences.

"In Kenzie's VISION as a female entrepreneur, the more she would change to the template, the less liberty the large and growing community, that is already working on this game, would have to let the TRUTH unfold itself."

I haven't looked at the game myself, but I can imagine the tiny differences are probably as far as Kenzie (the 10 year old one) has gotten through some of the RPGMaker tutorials she no doubt tried to follow. But can you blame her? Maybe she even got bored with game development and realised it's not for her. Which would have been perfectly okay if her mother hadn't lured more than a 1000 backers into handing her money just to watch a child's play fail.

The new background on Susan's twitter is kind of hilarious.

Well, it screams "entrepreneur", don't you think? ;-)

And the irony of her retweet below is even more hilarious.

Shame nobody shared that article with her backers last year. :D

I doubt it would've opened anyone's eyes given all the other stuff that was already unearthed about Susan. :)

Maybe she could do a Kickstarter to raise money for a business class "How to spot an arsehole"... . There seems to be a market for it.

This tweet is kind of ironic too, btw:

FundHer @FundHer · 9 apr.

"If, by the time u launch, ur no longer embarrassed about ur product, u waited too long!" @nakisnakis quoting @reidhoffman via @GirlsRaising

Top Bottom