• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turkey jails journos after they expose Turkish arms shipments to Islamist rebels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sijil

http://news.yahoo.com/turkish-journalists-face-jail-over-arms-smuggling-reports-144256700.html

http://news.yahoo.com/turkey-charge...vbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjEzMjRfMQRzZWMDc2M-

Istanbul (AFP) - A court in Istanbul on Thursday charged two journalists from the opposition Cumhuriyet newspaper with spying after they alleged Turkey's secret services had sent arms to Islamist rebels in Syria, Turkish media reported.

Editor-in-chief Can Dundar and Erdem Gul, the paper's Ankara bureau chief, are accused of spying and "divulging state secrets", the reports said. Both men were placed in pre-trial detention.

According to Cumhuriyet, Turkish security forces in January 2014 intercepted a convoy of trucks near the Syrian border and discovered boxes of what the daily described as weapons and ammunition to be sent to rebels fighting against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

It linked the seized trucks to the Turkish National Intelligence Organisation (MIT).

Turkey arming Nusra and co is more of an open secret these days same for Turkey buying oil from ISIS, which Erdogan's son is accused of orchestrating. A NATO country arming and funding jihadists. For all the talk from western leaders about confronting terror maybe they should start with the source, their allies, Turkey and KSA?

http://news.yahoo.com/turkish-journalists-face-jail-over-arms-smuggling-reports-144256700.html

http://news.yahoo.com/turkey-charge...vbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjEzMjRfMQRzZWMDc2M-

Turkey arming Nusra and co is more of an open secret these days same for Turkey buying oil from ISIS, which Erdogan's son is accused of orchestrating. A NATO country arming and funding jihadists. For all the talk from western leaders about confronting terror maybe they should start with the source, their allies, Turkey and KSA?

Any proof for these claims?

Maybe Turkey and KSA can stop supporting mad radicals all by themselves ? They're grown ups and can make decisions without Daddy The West telling them what to do.

And no, the CIA will not coup you instantly if you make a decision not first approved by Washington.

Sijil

Any proof for these claims?

The article itself? The fact that two journalists were jailed and are going to trial over exposing the arms shipments? Erdogan is a terrorist sponsor, people should just stop trying to look the other way and deal with it.

dakun

yeah whenever the ones who commit the crime are free and the ones reporting it are jailed, you know you created a shithole for a country..

congratulations Erdogan. I hope your time on this earth comes to a quick end.

Well... if it wasn't true, it wouldn't really be "divulging state secrets", would it?

It's not exactly clear what part of which reports the espionage charges might be in relation to. The article is nonspecific on that front. And the article is not talking about things OP is talking about like buying oil and arming the al-Nusra front specifically, so it's obviously a reasonable question for that person to ask. The most obvious group for Turkey to be arming is the Turkmen rebels, which are sometimes fighting alongside al-Nusra and other anti-government groups.

dakun

the article in the OP is not 100% correct though. They were jailed for spying but also for "being part of a terror organization" and "attempting a coup"... which is as ridiculous as it gets.

That's the literal translation of the Turkish words that are being used in Turkey (those words being "darbeye teşebbüs ve terör örgütüne üye olmak")

Carcetti

the article in the OP is not 100% correct though. They were jailed for spying but also for "being part of a terror organization" and "attempting a coup"

That's the literal translation of the Turkish words that are being used in Turkey (those words being "darbeye teşebbüs ve terör örgütüne üye olmak")

Well, since Erdogan is a paranoid nutter who builds himself palaces and has poison tasters for his meals, anything that's critical of him can be seen as 'attempting a coup'.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So journalists get jailed for being terrorists while the real terrorists get weapons. Erdogan is at the top of his game.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Interesting.

People were calling this information a conspiracy theory in the other thread. Shame on them really.

ZiZ

I realize it's a clusterfuck over there, but aren't AlNusra fighting ISIS and Assad?

do we even know which rebel faction they are supporting?

Jackpot

Banned
There was a thread about the trucks when their article was first published. Will try to find it, and definitely had a lot of evidence. Same as Russia's white trucks.

I look forward to more information coming out in the coming weeks.

See how much of a "9/11 conspiracy nutter" I am then.

There's various rumours that it's Erdogans son Bilal who is behind the buying of oil and shipping of weapons. Whether or not these are true is up for discussion, however it would make sense why there is such a hardline stance on anyone reporting this by the Turkish authorities.

The thread on Turkey shooting down a Russain SU Jet after spending 17 seconds flying over a 2km strip of land (as confirmed by NATO) was eye opening on how many people seem to defend Turkey and off hand dismiss any evidence as being bullshit, unreputable or conspiracy esq

I can't see how you could defend shooting down and killing a pilot over such a thing

I expect this thread (if it takes off) will be a similar minefield

Machina

Banned
While I'm not defending Turkey at all in this, encouraging their exile from NATO is delivering another islamic nation to extremists. Turkey will be the next Iran.

Savitar

If there is any substantial proof they deserve to face repercussions for this. The world seems to be gearing up to really bring the pain to ISIS, you can't have a country that's suppose to be an ally possibly sabotaging your efforts.

The thread on Turkey shooting down a Russain SU Jet after spending 17 seconds flying over a 2km strip of land (as confirmed by NATO) was eye opening on how many people seem to defend Turkey and off hand dismiss any evidence as being bullshit, unreputable or conspiracy esq

I can't see how you could defend shooting down and killing a pilot over such a thing

Some of those posts came from anti-Russian sentiment more than defending Turkey.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Turkey's been fucking up

their politic reminds me of Pakistan, swearing their mortal dangerous enemy is one thing but everybody else can see its obviously something else.

nynt9

Wasn't the pilot killed by ground forces in Syria? Rebels afaik?

Also wasn't the shooting of the plane not specifically because of the airspace violation but escalating tension about Russia's refusal to not bomb anti-Assad ethnic Turks in Syria, and the airspace violation was just an excuse? I mean, it's an extreme reaction, but you're eliminating a lot of context from your statement, which leads me to think that you're just trying to incite people.

Unfortunately imprisoning journalists has become very routine in Turkey. Erdogan has a tendency to just throw people in if they don't fall in line with his narrative - that is for media companies that aren't already in his pocket. Several important thinkers or figures have been in jail for years. Erdogan was propped up by western media as a fair, moderate leader saving the country, but it's good to see the narrative finally cracking and now people in the west can see how terrible he is as well.

Turkey is arming moderate rebels and the Turkmen minority in Syria who are both fighting Assad and ISIS.

Spying is a serious crime anywhere in the world, these journalists possibly have the death of many people on their hands.

I look forward to more information coming out in the coming weeks.

There's various rumours that it's Erdogans son Bilal who is behind the buying of oil and shipping of weapons. Whether or not these are true is up for discussion, however it would make sense why there is such a hardline stance on anyone reporting this by the Turkish authorities.

Yesterday you posted the same thing and people told you RussiaToday is Russia's propaganda machine. You knew that too thats why you didn't link that banned site.

So why do you still repeat that bullshit?

Azih

Turkey's been fucking up

their politic reminds me of Pakistan, swearing their mortal dangerous enemy is one thing but everybody else can see its obviously something else.

Nah Pakistan is the closest thing you can be to a failed state without actually being one. No one is really in charge in Pakistan at all.

Turkey is arming moderate rebels and the Turkmen minority in Syria who are both fighting Assad and ISIS.

Spying is a serious crime anywhere in the world, these journalists possibly have the death of many people on their hands.

Yesterday you posted the same thing and people told you RussiaToday is Russia's propaganda machine. You knew that too thats why you didn't link that banned site.

I didn't mention RT so try again.

Fiend

Yeah, moderate rebels, sure.
You fall on the opposite side of Souldestroyers assertions.

How would they have the death of many people on their hands for reporting that Turkey was arming rebels? They are just reporting what has been suspected all along.

No you just forgot adding where that bullshit comes from. You're supposed to provide a source.

I provided many yesterday which were the first 4 Google sources that come up, of which was deemed "Un-Reputable" because reasons, because it didn't suit people's narrative, because that facts are wrong, because the ISIS safe house which was raided where documents were found that made the ISIS/Turkish links undeniable, because the US took 15 months to attack ISIS oil fields (15 months of making money) and only did so once Russia made an embarrassment of them, Gee I wonder who is buying the oil then because someone clearly is, need I go on?

Makes much more sense than your opinion that these reporters have the deaths of people on their hands for reporting the TRUTH.

Wow.

I provided many yesterday which were the first 4 Google sources that come up, of which was deemed "Un-Reputable" because reasons, because it didn't suit people's narrative, because that facts are wrong, because the ISIS safe house which was raided where documents were found that made the ISIS/Turkish links undeniable, because the US took 15 months to attack ISIS oil fields (15 months of making money) and only did so once Russia made an embarrassment of them, Gee I wonder who is buying the oil then because someone clearly is, need I go on?

Conspiracy sites, those "sources" that all got their info from RT? Saying Turkey, the son of the president buying oil from ISIS is a serious accusation. If Russia has proof, they should show it, maybe it's taking their trolls longer this time to fabricate more authentic looking documents, after all they were caught red handed just a few days ago http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1144013

In reality it's the opposite, Russia is buying ISIS oil for the Syrian dictator http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1146842

allftw

Neo Member

Oh come on, the journalists have the deaths on their hands? It's not the people who are delivering weapons but the journalists who revealed this? Also you can't persecute journalists for spying when they're only sharing info and videos that were provided to them. They didn't sneak up into one of these trucks to film the weapons shipment. They were given it by the security forces who pulled over the trucks.

Erdogan lied to his people by saying that these trucks were only carrying aid and the journalists revealed the truth as it's their job to do so.

Erdogan keeps thinking he can put every single other faction in the country against each other and come out unscathed. He's a destructive short-sighted moron and his regime isn't long for this world. Having salafists shut down leftist protesters isn't a clever power move, it's playing with fire.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
How would they have the death of many people on their hands for reporting that Turkey was arming rebels? They are just reporting what has been suspected all along.

Yeah I'm trying to figure out the logic in that statement as well. That's like saying that American journalists have the death of Americans on their hands because they reported on the Wikileak leaks.

Not surprised that Canis would try to find a way to justify this action though.

Yeah I'm trying to figure out the logic in that statement as well. That's like saying that American journalists have the death of Americans on their hands because they reported on the Wikileak leaks.

Not surprised that Canis would try to find a way to justify this action though.

As far as I'm aware, they leaked a state secret on which border patrol stopped trucks going into the hands of moderates and Turkmens, leaving them without weapons to defend themselves against Assad and ISIS.

Conspiracy sites, those "sources" that all got their info from RT? Saying Turkey, the son of the president buying oil from ISIS is a serious accusation. If Russia has proof, they should show it, maybe it's taking their trolls longer this time to fabricate more authentic looking documents, after all they were caught red handed just a few days ago http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1144013

In reality it's the opposite, Russia is buying ISIS oil for the Syrian dictator http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1146842

Lets play the game that you guys love.

What makes your "US Source" more reputable than the "Russian" one? Please enlighten me as we could go round in circles for days here. Bearing in mind, that this is the exact same logic, which is used when citing a "Russian" source, and also bearing in mind that the US is hardly a bastion of truth and honesty in this conflict.

The fact of the matter is that a smuggling path was found in the Turkmen mountains and has subsequently been bombed to shit. Said smuggling line had convoys of trucks full when leaving, and empty on return from Turkey. (That's the "Aid Trucks" that these reporters were reporting on, but they are being jailed for spying. Yep.) These very same "Turkmen" are supporting ISIS and other terrorist factions by fighting alongside them.

Turkey is against the bombing of ISIS. However they will happily bomb the Kurds in Syrian territory.

Back in 2012 Turkey President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan himself said “a short-term border violation can never be a pretext for an attack”.

I even took that quote from a centre left newspaper for you. Screaming hypocrisy from the Turkish President. Especially when Gurkish forces have infringed Greek airspace over 2000 times in 2014 and again in 2015 alone.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

In your crazy nationalism you fail to understand what a democracy is and what the role of the press is. Also arming rebels in another country is not a legal thing and something to be proud of. It's actually worse than passing through someone else's airspace, because it is an active aggression against that country. Yes, a lot of country are doing it, but that doesn't make it any better.

Jackpot

Banned

There's a reason why Erdogan is seen as a wannabe dictator and why Turkey has some of the worst freedom of press in the developed world. Back in June:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ants-editor-jailed-for-espionage-in-video-row

The witness testimony contradicts Turkey’s denials that it sent arms to Syrian rebels and, by extension, contributed to the rise of Islamic State, now a major concern for the Nato member.

“We are journalists, not civil servants. Our duty is not to hide the dirty secrets of the state but to hold those accountable on behalf of the people,” he said.

The Turkish gov was lying to its people. The paper exposed it like a real journalist does. Sorry if you're so unused to that. I'm sure there's some state-propaganda channel that will keep you in your little bubble.

The lid is off it seems. Finally.

Oh and "spying" being brought up as a crime (it is, ofcourse) when MIT is freely roaming Western Thrace or various greek islands is rich. Double standards.

damidu

thing is even if there is a crime like leaking sensitive intelligence op etc.
you find the source of leak in your institution to hand out punishment not the newsmaker.
its like jailing journalist for reporting on snowden docs, wikileaks etc.

disgusting intimidation of press to scare them of further reporting, nothing else.

Turkey's true intentions are really being uncovered and it is turning out what we suspected all along.

They shoot down Russian plane in a shitfit of anger because they were bombing ISIS, and now the arms shipment is uncovered. I mean, what's next? Erdogan's face plastered on the boxes? I wouldn't be surprised.

Ooccoo

The sooner Turkey is out of NATO, the better. Country is batshit insane now, and there's overwhelming proof of ISIS support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom