• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turkish consulate in the Netherlands calls on Turks to report insults against Erdogan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Erdogan is a tin pot dictator with an ugly mustache and severe compensation issues. Turkey is a once-promising emerging democracy on a troubling and rapid backslide into authoritarian failure. The Armenian genocide was absolutely a genocide and the fact that Turkey has never been held accountable for it is a stunning indictment of international organizations and a stain our our collective conscience.

f1L0Hij.gif

Khaz

It's the same everywhere. By exemple, I'm French and until 2013, it was technically forbidden here for a woman to wear pants.

Not quite true. The law was implicitly abrogated when the new constitution was adopted. Effectively, all laws voted before stay current unless they contradict the current constitution. Because there couldn't be a revision of the full corpus, old deprecated laws stay around until they are challenged in a tribunal. This law had been a relic since 1946. This was just a clarification from the government, as stated here http://www.senat.fr/questions/base/2012/qSEQ120700692.html

This is different from the lèse-majesté laws from the Netherlands and Germany, which, although also old laws coming from another time, were never abrogated by other texts and thus are still valid. If someone were to press charges, tribunals would have no other choice but rule whether or not there is a crime, and statute on a sentence if there is. Most likely the judge will laugh a bit and sentence to a symbolic euro fine, but the tribunals cannot not judge it, because the law is still active.

So how long until Edrogan's term is up? Or is Turkey currently under a wave of conservative extermism (much like during Bush's two term's in the US)

jstripes

Banned
"Nobody IN THE WORLD is allowed to make fun of me!!!"

What a fucking dipshit. At least in places like Indonesia these absurd laws only apply to the country itself.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
And just a few years ago Turkey almost joined the EU.
I kinda wish it had, things might be different there now.

spekkeh

Banned
I very much doubt this would lead anywhere. I don't think any DA would touch it with a ten foot pole, and there's jurisprudence on a similar old law* that makes it pretty unlikely this one has any real power. Still it paints a clear picture of how Erdogan thinks about his people living abroad, and the sooner these laws are removed the better.

*In the sixties the Netherlands' most prolific writer wrote a piece on having sex with God in the body of a donkey, leading a number of Christians to press charges on a similarly old blasphemy law. The Supreme Court ruled that intent would be leading over whether something could be considered defamatory and the writer famously argued fucking a donkey was his way of showing deeply felt affection for God, which the court couldn't help but follow. So if anyone says Erdogan is a lewd goat fucker, it could just symbolize how harmonious Erdogan really is to nature.

18-Volt

I wish this happened in France. In France about 80% of Turkish people are ethnically Kurdish and they'd love to help anyone who's insulting this asshole.

Seriously, someone needs to give a go to Turkish Army, they've been waiting for good old fashioned coup d'etat on Erdogan. Too bad they can't do something like that without a foreign backup.

MMaRsu

The hell? It's completely obvious what the Turkish government is trying to achieve here. I'm dumbfounded that people are just watching this man form a dictatorship and pretend to be too stupid to notice.

Rutte is the biggest idiot of them all. Look at him trying to worm out of saying anything meaningful here.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Dutch journalist arrested in Turkey for criticising Erdoğan

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ar-arrested-in-turkey-for-criticising-erdogan

A Dutch journalist was arrested early on Sunday at her home in Turkey for tweets deemed critical of the Turkish president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, according to her Twitter account.

“Police at the door. No joke,” wrote Ebru Umar, a well-known atheist and feminist journalist of Turkish origin.

Umar recently wrote a piece critical of Erdoğan for the Dutch daily Metro, extracts of which she then tweeted, leading to her arrest.

“I’m not free, we’re going to the hospital” for a medical examination before being taken to face prosecutors, she said in a second tweet as she left her home in Kușadası, a resort town in western Turkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom