• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

You only get 2 or 3 Talons per game of Nuke. What I do when I notice the other team is using Talons is I abandon the objective and hunt them down, sacrificing any points I could of gained that inning in return for easier points in later innings.

Yeah, but if your team has no Talon players, then the game is much harder. I dont consider that balanced. I managed 1 launch and didnt notice the Talons do anything, but as soon as I launch, they take it down with their Special. Then I tried to take them down myself, but its such a pain in the ass looking in the air for two talon players while the rest of the team takes advantage of your distracted state. Im not saying they are impossible, but I feel completely useless at the rank I am now. When it's their turn to cap, they cap the enemy, move through the middle hilltop field, collect healths if they are hurt, and launch at the stadium. I go to kill him, but he simply flees, hiding behind the stadium! Then the other Talon user tries to special me to death, I die, and the other dude comes back from hiding around corners to launch again. Another time I chase the guy, he flees the launch scene again, goes up the stadium, but he balances his view so that if I go go to fight him (which I do), he flies over me and the wall in my way so that I have to keep turning around to even get a line of sight on him.

Turbo dash isnt even a 1st tier unlock, so even if I do freeze them, and if a teammate isnt too trigger happy that he breaks the EMP, the best I can do is put hope on my boost.

They are quite easily the best class for Nuke, especially on Sunsprings, and probably LA Skylines and Diablo Pass. I really can't stand them at all and find the games where its the vehicles combating to be much more fun, fair, and strategic

AwShucks

LA Skyline. Talon. Enough said.

Just sit on one of the rafters that spawns the sniper. Got my first 10 kill streak and I don't even play as Talon (I'm usually a Mr Grimm player but for me he doesn't mix well with the level). Between the sniper, the special and mega gun bullets I get from kill streaks it was probably one of my best rounds ever. 15-2 k/d

KuroNeeko

You guys crying about Talon is going to inspire me to make a Talon skin. >:D

Well, not really, Still working on my Kamikaze skin. So much dirt and rust to clean up *sigh*

You're a monster.

Heavy-Rain-4-795139.jpg

Interesting factoid I discovered while getting the Tantric Twisted trophy: If you Absorption Shield a freeze missile, you get the energy back. It's basically a free stalker missile at the cost of no energy and timing your shield a little better.

DirtyLary

LA Skyline. Talon. Enough said.

Just sit on one of the rafters that spawns the sniper. Got my first 10 kill streak and I don't even play as Talon (I'm usually a Mr Grimm player but for me he doesn't mix well with the level). Between the sniper, the special and mega gun bullets I get from kill streaks it was probably one of my best rounds ever. 15-2 k/d

Yup, and for some reason I like to torture myself and roll junkyard trying to throw taxis at them.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Gonna leave the GAF clan and start a new one. [VLNS] We only roll Talons, Juggernauts and Axels.

That's fine. I am starting the GAF-Warthog Division and we are going to all use Warthogs. Riding dirty and popping wheelies on the regular. Consistantly rolling all over your Talons, Juggernauts and Axels.

KuroNeeko

Oh wow.

Tried to go online and servers were down for some reason. When I finally did get online, I jumped into a death match on Diablo's Pass. It seems like the most popular map for some reason - or are the number of available maps just limited? Anyway, only one dood picking Talon up front and the other switched mid-match. Spent the whole match trying to shoot them down with Kamikaze while getting killed by other cars. End result - Talons take top two spots.

With the connection errors and, I don't know, disparity in skill / experience between players* (not to mention car unlocks based on playing time) I've just been overall kind of disappointed with my purchase. I'm a big fan of the series, but it doesn't seem like it's suited for someone who just gets on and plays for an hour after work.

:(

*Me being on the bottom.

Unicorn

Quick question for everyone. Why are you playing ranked?

If your answer is not, "because I NEED to know in-depth stats about my playstyle, KDR, etc.," then you should just cut your losses and come to unranked. All abilities, sidearms, vehicles, plus more customization in game room options.

So again, why are you playing in ranked?

Cramoss

If your answer is not, "because I NEED to know in-depth stats about my playstyle, KDR, etc.," then you should just cut your losses and come to unranked. All abilities, sidearms, vehicles, plus more customization in game room options.

I dunno, it's fun to unlock shit and gain levels and stuff.

AEREC

In games like these I dont even know why there is even a ranked and unranked categories. Seems like it would split the communities too much.

There should have just been matchmaking and thats it.

TeTr1C

Unranked is where it's at. It's how it should be!

The unlimited ammo matches can be fun, though my system has frozen twice playing them.

Imported copy arrived yesterday and i have one thing to say:
I love this game. The speed, the maps, the controls, the weapons. It the first Twisted Metal game i am playing btw.
Just doing the campaing for now and waiting for the online fix.

bonesquad

Maybe it will change given time, but right now 95% of games are ranked. With all the connection issues it makes it hard to get into an unranked game. And when you do, most of the time it's just Juggernauts running around.

It just feels like if I want to reliably find a game to play, I need to play ranked and unlock everything.

Otherwise yeah, I'd just play unranked. I stole this from reddit, but it definitely fits how it feels playing an online game with locked content. Especially now that bloody Talons is everywhere. Well, to those who have unlocked it.

iawhEm.jpg

Because ranked matches in general are much more competitive.

Helscream

Banned
What fucking bullshit that this game's unlocks are balanced.

Fuck Talon.

Spent a game where two Talons allowed players to launch a nuke, while they camp in the fucking air and use their special to instantly destroy nukes.

That is bullshit. You cant play against something like that when they get this lazy, cheap tactic handed to them while the rest of the team has to suffer and use this shit aim system to lock on to the right opponent in the air and knock them down, while other players try to dry hump the living life out of them, and god forbid the aiming decides to stick to the opponent I want and go freaking nuts.

Talon players are not balanced, and they love to pussy out and get the fuck out when they know they will lose a battle. Of course, they have access to parts of the map that I don't, and this area (Sunsprings) just happens to spawn TWO healths for them. If my freeze even manages to land and not get screwed over by their view of the field, then hope to god that it doesn't land them in an area of the map you cant access, like a rooftop or hilltop. And of course, with their maneuverability, they can easily shield, freeze, and stay right above you while your finicking to get an aim on them.

Coordinating an effective strategy with a bunch of morons who wont even help you when you are launching is painful and 10x harder than the tactic they are given. In the event that a Talon player is at least on my team as well as theirs, I have to hope that they are smart enough to see what's happening and stop these guys, but I can't do shit until I get to unlock Talon.

I know I'm bitching, but the game of Nuke I played was beyond frustrating. The tactic of Talon players letting you launch a nuke while they camp god knows where on the map is nonsense. I have to guide missiles, while their special destroys the hell out of a Nuke from the best vantage point in the game.

I'm not going back to Nuke, especially with Talon players in it as these sort of gameplays will dominate. Really hope that was a one time thing, I see great combat with ground vehicles and honest, reflex and strategy based planning and killing, but a Talon player's skill level is set real low, and an actual good Talon player, or worse, two (as it was my case) will fuck you up like nothing else.

You see, shit like this would not even remotely be a problem if our Gaf clan could actually team up on the same side. I can't really even use Juggernaut because of this. Hell if I even try to use junkyard dog to give out free healing no one wants it. Someone could freeze Talon, I could magnet Talon with Roadboat, and bam free kill. But since we can't team up we are on our own. Now that I hit ranked 30 I really want to do some teamwork, but I can't experience that with the way you always end up be separated from other players in your party.

You see, shit like this would not even remotely be a problem if our Gaf clan could actually team up on the same side. I can't really even use Juggernaut because of this. Hell if I even try to use junkyard dog to give out free healing no one wants it. Someone could freeze Talon, I could magnet Talon with Roadboat, and bam free kill. But since we can't team up we are on our own. Now that I hit ranked 30 I really want to do some teamwork, but I can't experience that with the way you always end up be separated from other players in your party.
This guy wants it, right here! Pick me! Pick me!

I wish more people used Junkyard Dog, when they do it's usually a game changer.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.

100%.

To be clear: actual balance issues wil be addressed once network issues are resolved. And yes, there are some for sure and I've gotten some great feedback on this thread that we will be discussing. So thanks so much for that NEOGAF,

BUT: if the issue some are having with TEAM games not being fun fore is thier teammates do not play as a team (part of this is our fault and our stupid decision to break up parties in ranked game- this wil change)- then the only fix will be for those unhappy players to other start playing with folks who play as a team or to NOT play team games. 'Every team mode should be able to be won by a single player playing well even if the rest of his team is not plaing as a team' is not a strategy that will be supported in future patches.

ALSO: Vehicles that need need need nerfing will get nerfed. BUT we won't be nerfing vehicles because some players don't want to take the time to figure out the strategies and tactics to take down certain enemies that are giving them trouble. 'Every enemy should be able to die vis spamming weapons' is not a valid strategy and won't be supported in future patches.

All that said, LOTS of shit to tune to improve the game and I'm dying to jump in! Just gotta sort the online first.

Thanks y'all!

David

Thanks for all the hard work you and the rest of ESP/Sony did and continue to do in bringing TM back, David! Any chance ROCK will be reborn?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Man, I don't know if it was bugged or what, but the last battle was infuriating. Talon would only drop the guys like 1/3rd of the time. I was like yelling "drop it!" at my tv.

Managed to finish it though. Really enjoyed all the cutscenes.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Man, I don't know if it was bugged or what, but the last battle was infuriating. Talon would only drop the guys like 1/3rd of the time. I was like yelling "drop it!" at my tv.

Managed to finish it though. Really enjoyed all the cutscenes.

Cool- so glad you did.

Gotta ask: you were hitting TRIANGLE + DPAD down to drop things on the magnet? And even still? No luck?

David

Tokubetsu

How do the killstreak rewards work? Just had a pretty good DM match. Some Reaper player was doing really well. Kept targeting me until I started going for just him and the talon player.

100%.

To be clear: actual balance issues wil be addressed once network issues are resolved. And yes, there are some for sure and I've gotten some great feedback on this thread that we will be discussing. So thanks so much for that NEOGAF,

BUT: if the issue some are having with TEAM games not being fun fore is thier teammates do not play as a team (part of this is our fault and our stupid decision to break up parties in ranked game- this wil change)- then the only fix will be for those unhappy players to other start playing with folks who play as a team or to NOT play team games. 'Every team mode should be able to be won by a single player playing well even if the rest of his team is not plaing as a team' is not a strategy that will be supported in future patches.

ALSO: Vehicles that need need need nerfing will get nerfed. BUT we won't be nerfing vehicles because some players don't want to take the time to figure out the strategies and tactics to take down certain enemies that are giving them trouble. 'Every enemy should be able to die vis spamming weapons' is not a valid strategy and won't be supported in future patches.

All that said, LOTS of shit to tune to improve the game and I'm dying to jump in! Just gotta sort the online first.

Thanks y'all!

David

I definitely understand that network issues are primary, and I'm glad to see some balance concerns being taken into account

As for team games being won by a single individual, that's not at all what I want either, and I understand that I should be playing with my pals at NeoGaf-- and actually, sometimes a random party is surprisingly smart. My problem is that if everyone on one team is tier 1, and the other team manages to have a couple of tier two players, then the challenge becomes unbalanced. My problem was more with the fact that Talon is difficult to counter when these players not only play well, but also use tactics that I, at my current level, and my teammates, cannot counter effectively without using teamwork that requires much more effort than what they use.

I was pretty surprised to see how quickly all our launched Nukes went down, and at first I did not know the cause, until I realized how the nuke was chipping bit by bit at a really rapid rate. Shielding did not help as Talon's specials made mincemeat out of them in 10 seconds flat. In fact, I recall having a Talon on our team, who did the same thing the first round when we were on D, but he seemingly dropped out as after he left, the Talons on the other team destroyed us.

The only solution I see, aside from playing unranked games, is to play Deathmatch until I unlock Talon, but when I'm put on a server where the other team lacks any tier 2 upgrades, I feel pretty bad for them

Really, there's not much we can do now, sooner or later the majority of the players will have the proper unlocks, but that grind seems a bit unbalanced to me. Playing deathmatch until I unlock what I need to make things require equal effort seems like the way to go, but I dont think that it should have been the case.

As for having the ability to spam weapons, I dont want that from my tier one ground vehicles either, in fact I want the opposite and find that Talon players spam their special pretty hard and effectively, not so much on me, but the Nuke once it is launched.

Now, this just happened on one server who happened to have 2 Talon players vs our team of tier 1 players, like I said, once a majority rank up, it wont be a problem, but I find that the Chess analogy used above is pretty reflective of how I felt that match and how I feel with Talon.

How do the killstreak rewards work? Just had a pretty good DM match. Some Reaper player was doing really well. Kept targeting me until I started going for just him and the talon player.

Unlock them first, then when you get a 2 killstreak, it fills up your boost and I think your Energy. Then from there they give you stuff like full ammo (or double the carrying amount) and finally red mega gun bullets. There was a list posted somewhere in this thread.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Cool- so glad you did.

Gotta ask: you were hitting TRIANGLE + DPAD down to drop things on the magnet? And even still? No luck?

David

Well eventually I just started mashing buttons because I didn't know if I had to press something to drop it or not. The times that I did drop it, he seemed to do it automatically when I was in the right spot. Could have all been on me though.

And I've now played 3 games in a row in the same lobby with no disconnects. Huzzah.

Helscream

Banned
100%.

Thanks y'all!

David

Well the network/server issues will obviously be the first priority. I think everyone here can agree on that.

When it comes to nerfing there is a fine line between something that can be negated with skill, and something that actually is underpowered/overpowered or downright broken. Unfortunately when people play deep games like Twisted Metal they often subscribe to bitching and saying that [Insert] is overpowered or unfair and are just too damn lazy to invest the time to improve their skill. Even if you do a excellent job to explain all the fine details.

So far I can say that in terms of gameplay balance there are really very few things that I can say that I feel like needs extra tuning. Minor things like team mates who hit you with their vehicle (whether it be unintentional or intentional) can be really jarring. Especially when trying to use a vehicle like Reaper. So in most cases I can always find a way to apply skill/strategy to negate whatever issue I am having.

My only major complaint is really just not being able to "team up" with people in the party. There are a lot of idea's I have that I would love to hone to perfection, but it is difficult to practice such a strategy without getting to test out those idea's in real time. This is coming from a dude that hunted down damn near every interview I could find about Twisted Metal before release. And you talked your damn head off about Twisted Metal having multiple layers of depth. That depth is there just waiting to be exploited.

The few times I have experienced Teamwork in Twisted Metal has been pure adrenaline. Being able to recreate those experiences at will would truly make this game something of legend.

We here have faith in you and everyone at ESP. We want this game to succeed as much as possible.

EDIT: Kinda funny but seeing all these avatars kinda makes it look like David is having a conversation with himself.

Tokubetsu

The one problem with wanting to "team up" is stacking teams. It's not fair to the opposing team if they aren't partied up. It's a big problem in UC3's mp especially if you have the newer maps installed. You run into nothing but Legacy players/clans and you get rolled over because your team is nothing but random pubbies.

A couple questions if you don't mind:

Are you aware that Juggernaut has no weak points in multiplayer? In story mode the grill and back when open do more damage but in multiplayer everywhere takes the same damage. Is it suppose to be that way?

Would it be possible to patch in a control scheme for Talon that is more akin to Race controls? I get so used to firing with Square and X and then I respawn as Talon and have to readjust.

Also just started using JYD in multiplayer and sometimes when I choose to drop the health taxi behind me it falls through the surface. To be specific I had this problem while driving fast on the highways in Diesel City.

And pro tip for people having trouble with Talon on Nuke - if you already launched the Nuke and a Talon is attacking you, if you guide the Nuke into the Talon you will kill it and not take any damage.

BurningNad

The one problem with wanting to "team up" is stacking teams. It's not fair to the opposing team if they aren't partied up. It's a big problem in UC3's mp especially if you have the newer maps installed. You run into nothing but Legacy players/clans and you get rolled over because your team is nothing but random pubbies.

While yeah that does suck, it's more of an issue because every game is max 5v5. Games are slightly bigger most of the time in TM so it wouldn't be a huge issue unless an ENTIRE team is a party. I have been trying to play a single game with one of my friends where we are on the same team since LAUNCH and it hasn't happened yet. That fucking blows especially when we just want to put our headsets on and talk to each other. Why put me in a party with someone who is going to be muted during the next match because a party of two is guaranteed to be on opposing teams?

Limit the size of parties depending on the minimum size of the game if that's the issue. Just make it so somehow I can play a game with my friends together on the same team.

Liberty4all

Banned
I think Talon is OP, however with that said, very rarely do I see Sweet Tooth in the sky taking them out. Hell I rarely see Sweet Tooth bots up in the sky period.

I've surprised so many Talon's with in Sweet Tooth bot mode. This is part of what Jaffe's saying ... alot of players aren't using some of the cars to their full ability. Sweet Tooth Bot mode can SLAUGHTER Talon's especially after flying around and grabbing a mega gun.

I think the real issue with Talon is that it's very hard for anyone on the ground to target them effectively, short of stopping and trying to use free view. The action in the game is so frantic that it's really hard to get a target lock on Talon's without getting blown away by other ground vehicles. I've seen some players going up on buildings to shoot Talon's down, but it's alot of effort for something that will be back in 10 seconds (likely to kill you).

Personally I think Talon's should be spawn limited (maybe 2 or 3 per match in ALL modes). I think making them weaker isn't the answer ... just spawn limit them like juggs. Perhaps spawn limit them even heavier (like one respawn only) in Nuke.

Helscream

Banned

Well you have a choice to join/leave a lobby at will. This game does not have matchmaking that penalizes for leaving a random game that put you with sorry players.

Besides if they allow party members to be on the same team, that means you would be part the "team stacking" when we make a Gaf party.

Man XP in Nuke sucks. I just went like 19-3 on Metro City and completely shut down the enemy team from getting one of our leaders all 3 rounds (we still lost...) and I only got like 270 XP. Seems like I can get over 400 in a quick TDM game with maybe 8 kills and 8 deaths.

Also, Meat Wagon is awesome.

namDa65

Cool- so glad you did.

David

Thanks for the reboot! First twisted metal game ever (Old school pc player here) and I love it. I even spent the time to play black, which is decent on its own.

Happy new ps3 owner here :) .

HankToms

Sorry if this has been asked before. What game modes allow playing vs bots? Specifically, can you play 2 player or 4 player local coop vs bots?

Rattles

Man XP in Nuke sucks. I just went like 19-3 on Metro City and completely shut down the enemy team from getting one of our leaders all 3 rounds (we still lost...) and I only got like 270 XP. Seems like I can get over 400 in a quick TDM game with maybe 8 kills and 8 deaths.

This!. Whats the secret? You think you would earn shit loads for hitting the statue but no.

Unicorn

Why are skins not updating to my PS3? I lost the ones I did have on there and can't get new ones on either. This is day 3 of the problem. infuriating as all hell. It's sad, but I feel less inclined to play if I can't sport the GAF on my hood.

bonesquad

Personally I think Talon's should be spawn limited (maybe 2 or 3 per match in ALL modes). I think making them weaker isn't the answer ... just spawn limit them like juggs. Perhaps spawn limit them even heavier (like one respawn only) in Nuke.

I agree. I don't have a huge problem with Talon as is, but you do have to focus on taking them out. As it stands now, you can either spend the whole match focused on taking out Talon, or spend the whole match getting slaughtered by Talon. Pick your tactic.

Agree on both accounts. It's taken me a week to finally get a tier 2 unlock (though I'm still missing 2 skin packs on tier 1? no matter). Between disconnects, server errors, freezes; if I really want to get access to other cars any time soon my only real choice is to play DM/TDM.

Top Bottom