• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

Tokubetsu

LTTP but the cutscenes really bring back that MTV Liquid TV feeling from the 90s.

Haha yep. Quite a few people don't like them but I think ESP hit the right tone when it came to cheese vs poorly made. Only gripe really is Calypso's wig looks cheap as hell haha. Sweet Tooth murdering everyone in the hospital is awesome though and <3 Dollface.

Unicorn

Why are skins not updating to my PS3? I lost the ones I did have on there and can't get new ones on either. This is day 3 of the problem. infuriating as all hell. It's sad, but I feel less inclined to play if I can't sport the GAF on my hood.

Also, why don't they save directly to my PS3 HDD so I don't have to worry about this kind of shit?

Branson

I have not played this game since launch day because of the obvious issues, I did really really like when I actually did get in a game and it was really fun. Once the patch comes out Ill totally jump back in and I know these guys are working hard on it. Will I be pretty run over and frustrated since you guys have obviously been playing a lot?

Liberty4all

Banned
I agree. I don't have a huge problem with Talon as is, but you do have to focus on taking them out. As it stands now, you can either spend the whole match focused on taking out Talon, or spend the whole match getting slaughtered by Talon. Pick your tactic.

Agree on both accounts. It's taken me a week to finally get a tier 2 unlock (though I'm still missing 2 skin packs on tier 1? no matter). Between disconnects, server errors, freezes; if I really want to get access to other cars any time soon my only real choice is to play DM/TDM.

I actually unlocked Jugg today. I've been playing DM and TDM almost exclusively because they are the easiest way to grind out xp quickly. I'm looking forward to actually getting to play some nuke, now that I don't have to worry about unlocks

This!. Whats the secret? You think you would earn shit loads for hitting the statue but no.
You earn 25 xp for hitting the statue in Nuke. Granted it's 5 for picking up the leader and 15 for launching, so 45 xp in all. Where as in TDM you score 25 xp for killing someone and 25 for damage, so basically 50 xp a kill. Somethings not right. And how come only the person who sacrificed gets points if the only reason he got it off is because I protected him? Do what Uncharted does and give everyone xp when your team completes an objective because it likely required the entire team, plus it encourages teamwork because you know if you help your teammate who is trying to launch you'll get the xp as well.

Also in TDM the scoring is exactly the same as in TLMS but when you think about it killing someone in a lives based game should be worth more.

Tokubetsu

I have not played this game since launch day because of the obvious issues, I did really really like when I actually did get in a game and it was really fun. Once the patch comes out Ill totally jump back in and I know these guys are working hard on it. Will I be pretty run over and frustrated since you guys have obviously been playing a lot?

As long as you play smart you'll be okay. Know all your vehicle tools (mines, turbo reverse, freeze etc), make sure you have weapons to kill people with before ACTIVELY engaging, know how to use said weapons, know the uses for your special and alt specials etc etc.

I'll be honest, I'm guilty of not abusing freeze enough but I typically play with vehicles with slow regen so I always forget it's there.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
David can you please go play resistance 1 and see how a party system is meant to work. Pretty please.

Ah, the days of being a fan and thinking the reason things are what they are is simply because folks making decisions about products don't know how things should be. I miss those days sometimes :).

That said, I never feel it's a fan/consumer's job to care or know WHY things are what they are. They just want shit that they paid good money for to work good. As they should.

But we hear you- and we'll do what we can and hope we spend our limited resources in the right places so the game experience improves for everyone.

Thanks-

David

Unicorn

David, I hate to be a nagger, but what's up with the skins not downloading? I've tried signing off the website app, tried signing on too. I don't know why they all disappeared on my PS3. Have any info, thoughts, etc.?

Tokubetsu

Bought a Sony Wireless Headset that should be here on Saturday. Gonna be sad to not use the immaculate four hour custom playlist I made for TM though.

You guys will never know the joys of destroying a Talon to this song:
http://youtu.be/n1YqNpkyy5M

RVIDER KLVN

You know you were just in a rough DM game when you go 3-7...and still take 2nd place.

EDIT: Is the patch still potentially coming tonight?

I just got this game. It was released late here due to some censorship.

Managed to get into some games and DAMNNNNNNNNNNNN it's AWESOME!! Much thanks to the Eat Sleep Play team!!

Is there a Asia GAF clan?

Rattles

Ah, the days of being a fan and thinking the reason things are what they are is simply because folks making decisions about products don't know how things should be. I miss those days sometimes :).

That said, I never feel it's a fan/consumer's job to care or know WHY things are what they are. They just want shit that they paid good money for to work good. As they should.

But we hear you- and we'll do what we can and hope we spend our limited resources in the right places so the game experience improves for everyone.

Thanks-

David

Oh its definitely not a top priority but in the long run it sure would be nice to have a fast easy to use system.

Unicorn

David, I hate to be a nagger, but what's up with the skins not downloading? I've tried signing off the website app, tried signing on too. I don't know why they all disappeared on my PS3. Have any info, thoughts, etc.?

Seem to have fixed it. I downloaded and published/activated a new skin on the site, hit refresh in-game and it's downloading all my skins now. Weird ass glitch.

KuroNeeko

Just finished Mr. Grimm's story last night. I take back what I said about the game being easy on normal. Part of that is my reluctance to use anyone but Kamikaze and Reaper. But goddamn at
Iron Maiden. The form of her hanging from the road was utter torture for Reaper.

Also, maybe I've been watching too much Fringe lately, but I couldn't help notice that
the car that crashes into the Grimm family at the end of his arc looks a lot like the car Ms. Sparks was driving in her intro cutscene. Am I seeing things?

Bought a Sony Wireless Headset that should be here on Saturday. Gonna be sad to not use the immaculate four hour custom playlist I made for TM though.

I was wondering about this - if you pick up headphones for the system, will you have to choose between hearing chat and the in-game sounds? I ask because I usually play TM through my computer monitor with standard walkman headphones, but am thinking about getting something so I can coordinate with other GAFfers when I play. It'd suck losing out on BGM / SE just to chat.

Teknoman

Just finished Mr. Grimm's story last night. I take back what I said about the game being easy on normal. Part of that is my reluctance to use anyone but Kamikaze and Reaper. But goddamn at
Iron Maiden. The form of her hanging from the road was utter torture for Reaper.

Also, maybe I've been watching too much Fringe lately, but I couldn't help notice that
the car that crashes into the Grimm family at the end of his arc looks a lot like the car Ms. Sparks was driving in her intro cutscene. Am I seeing things?

I was wondering about this - if you pick up headphones for the system, will you have to choose between hearing chat and the in-game sounds? I ask because I usually play TM through my computer monitor with standard walkman headphones, but am thinking about getting something so I can coordinate with other GAFfers when I play. It'd suck losing out on BGM / SE just to chat.

No, apparently you just cant use custom soundtrack + voice chat. Dunno if thats just for TM or all PS3 games.

AEREC

Does it not bother anyone else that it take almost 3 minutes after starting the game from the XMB before you get to the main menu of the game?

Also load times seem rather long compared to the demo. It would have been nice if we had an optional install or something to make the load times go faster.

Hopefully this patch fixes some freezing issues as well...Ive had the game freeze in MP and SP challenge mode.

Unicorn

Does it not bother anyone else that it take almost 3 minutes after starting the game from the XMB before you get to the main menu of the game?

Also load times seem rather long compared to the demo. It would have been nice if we had an optional install or something to make the load times go faster.

Hopefully this patch fixes some freezing issues as well...Ive had the game freeze in MP and SP challenge mode.

yeah, the splash screens and stuff are super annoying. As is the loading. Sometimes I see the level image twice before the match starts. It will do the regular loading, then fade to black, then the music will start, then it will show the loading screen again, then fade to black again and the match will start. HDD install would be very nice. Also, after I have a save file, is it necessary to show me all those intro screens before the main menu? I know about your middleware and copyrights, guys.

Also, just dominated a handful of LMS games. There's a definite disparity in the skill of players in ranked and unranked matches.

Had to drive an hour away to get the last copy of the LE of Twisted Metal in my area (a saga in itself) but I managed to get it finally. Gotta show support for the series and the genre :)

Geeze how many Talons are allowed in ranked Nuke games? The other team has a Talon shooting down all our nukes so I made an effort to kill him until he couldn't use Talon anymore. Killed him 3 or 4 times, darn hard because it was Diesel City where there is health a gazillion feet about the ground so he'd just keep hiding behind buildings and grabbing it, but even after it all he kept respawning as Talon.

Not sure if this is a rant to lower the Talon limit or remove the obnoxiously high health pick-ups that take a minute for a normal car to get to and 2 seconds for Talon.

Tokubetsu

Strangely enough, this didn't really bother me until today. Optional install would be dope.

BHK3

Banned
Jaffe was here!? Damn it, I need my vermin to unlock! Guess I'll keep asking him on Twitter and hope for a response.

Liberty4all

Banned

Thanks-

David

Hey I just wanted to say "thanks for the game, I love it".

I'd just about given up on console titles heading back to pc with titles like tribes stealing me away. But Twisted Metal demanded my attention. I never played any other versions so I had nothing to compare it to. For me though this game is going to go down (for me) as one of the multiplayer gems of this generation.

The map design is sublime. I haven't seen anything that comes close. Maybe Warhawk in terms of size. But these maps feel so tightly designed, everything is where it is for a reason, and a masterful job has been done on giving maps like diesel city and blackrock stadium verticality too.

The game has everything I loved about old school shooters ... Health that matters, maps designed around weapon drops, and complex layer of gameplay should you care to discover it. It's still easy though to get into for the first time have a blast and shoot shit up too which to me is a hallmark of a fun game.

On the downside it may destroy my old ps3 ... But it's been totally worth it so far.

So thanks for the game.

This gen for me has been all about:

Warhawk
Shadowrun
Gears
Twisted Metal
Killzone 3
MAG

Best multiplayer experiences of the gen with Warhawk and TM ranking the best of the best.

Unicorn

I love Last Man Standing. I've only lost once in Unranked, and that was because I got slammed by the Health Semi, then ricocheted up a ramp, then hit by the subway.

Liberty4all

Banned
I love Last Man Standing. I've only lost once in Unranked, and that was because I got slammed by the Health Semi, then ricocheted up a ramp, then hit by the subway.

The classic is dueling with somebody down in the subway tunnels, both of you down to a sliver of health and then the subway runs you both over haha

Tokubetsu

Man, I'm downright nasty with Shadow. Special is much harder to use, but has a nice reward for the extra effort.

I like Meat Wagon but I'll be honest, I went back to Outlaw today. The auto targetting on his special is just...so nice to have. I am warming up a bit to Roadkill as well. I'm just really used to medium armor classes.

KuroNeeko

I like Meat Wagon but I'll be honest, I went back to Outlaw today. The auto targetting on his special is just...so nice to have. I am warming up a bit to Roadkill as well. I'm just really used to medium armor classes.

So hard to survive with the light armor classes :(

bonesquad

I've discovered I suck at finishing. I almost always get the most damage per kill bonus because I have so much damage done and so few kills. Three times this evening I finished with the most damage on my team but fewest kills (not most damage overall, but still).

Probably why Axle and Sweet Tooth frustrate me the most because they can run/jump/fly away like the little bitches they are whenever their health gets low. I should probably shoot them with missiles first and then freeze/hit them with Meat Wagon's secondary to kill them off, huh.

Has it been mentioned yet how damn annoying Talon is? :) Almost worse then connection errors. Almost. But at least I was able to finish Talon off a few times unlike Axle/Sweet Tooth.

Tokubetsu

I've discovered I suck at finishing. I almost always get the most damage per kill bonus because I have so much damage done and so few kills. Three times this evening I finished with the most damage on my team but fewest kills (not most damage overall, but still).

Probably why Axle and Sweet Tooth frustrate me the most because they can run/jump/fly away like the little bitches they are whenever their health gets low. I should probably shoot them with missiles first and then freeze/hit them with Meat Wagon's secondary to kill them off, huh.

Has it been mentioned yet how damn annoying Talon is? :) Almost worse then connection errors. Almost. But at least I was able to finish Talon off a few times unlike Axle/Sweet Tooth.

Yea, the secret to finishing seems to be to just poach kills or make sure you have enough pickups to finish the fight.

Riposte

I generally focus on poaching kills. However having Turbo Ram can go a long way towards doing enough damage to kill someone.

AEREC

Strangely enough, this didn't really bother me until today. Optional install would be dope.

This is starting to bug me in every other game I play know or at least the ones that have to run all these online checks before getting to the main menu and letting the player have control. Just started playing Mortal Kombat again, and while not nearly as bad as TM, it has to go through DLC/Online checks before getting to the main menu.

I think games Like Uncharted 2/3 handle it well...they dont appear to actually log you in until you hit multiplayer. Im guessing the reason TM does it though is for the single player leaderboards.

Rawker

so i tend to stock up on homing and fire missiles before i attack and usually spam those and then spam my special. then stock up and repeat.

but i'm thinking it would be better to use my special(s) first (although you have to be closer for some vehicles but freeze would allow that) and then unload the rest of my weapons cache. it's a pain to switch to special after firing homing or fire missiles because they are backwards in the cycle and i'm usually pumping my sidearm as well. i guess it makes sense that they setup the layout that special comes first as it does the most damage and then you can finish the person off with missiles without the need to cycle.

btw remote bomb + super mine combo is sick! it's funny how super mine does as much damage or more then some specials, just sucks that i can't use my shield after i drop one.

Why does Axel's special freeze you in place? Seems so cheap. Darkside or Warthog don't get to freeze you to do their specials and Axel's does a good amount of damage.

so i tend to stock up on homing and fire missiles before i attack and usually spam those and then spam my special. then stock up and repeat.

but i'm thinking it would be better to use my special(s) first (although you have to be closer for some vehicles but freeze would allow that) and then unload the rest of my weapons cache. it's a pain to switch to special after firing homing or fire missiles because they are backwards in the cycle and i'm usually pumping my sidearm as well. i guess it makes sense that they setup the layout that special comes first as it does the most damage and then you can finish the person off with missiles without the need to cycle.

btw remote bomb + super mine combo is sick! it's funny how super mine does as much damage or more then some specials, just sucks that i can't use my shield after i drop one.

What do u mean?

As for finishing players off, I like to EMP them when their health is medium, then ram them (cant way to turbo ram) plus do a shotgun primary and shotgun secondary blast (3 shotgun shots) then just use missiles up close. That way they cant escape by jumping or whatever as fast.

KPunk

So excited to finally be able to play this game....was sold out everywhere and took forever to find and of course the obvious issues...can't wait for the patch..

cametall

Has anyone ever frozen an enemy and they seem to break it almost instantly? I swear some times the enemy vehicle doesn't even stop (maybe a lucky shield?).

Are people that good at mashing buttons?

Also Talons are BS. Every time I play against one the player is a total dick with a 96%+ skill rating. All they do is float around the tops of buildings acting like vultures. Doesn't matter if you freeze them because they just plop right down on top of the skyscraper/high point they're floating around.

My only counter to those types of Talons is Vermin, but once they're aware of me they shoot down my missiles (alt special).

Unicorn

Has anyone ever frozen an enemy and they seem to break it almost instantly? I swear some times the enemy vehicle doesn't even stop (maybe a lucky shield?).

Are people that good at mashing buttons?

Also Talons are BS. Every time I play against one the player is a total dick with a 96%+ skill rating. All they do is float around the tops of buildings acting like vultures. Doesn't matter if you freeze them because they just plop right down on top of the skyscraper/high point they're floating around.

My only counter to those types of Talons is Vermin, but once they're aware of me they shoot down my missiles (alt special).

As soon as they take damage, they unfreeze. So, stop firing your machine guns / peashooters before you can even get over to them.

Top Bottom