• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

Moofers

David Jaffe was on my podcast this week. Find it at Moofpack.com or on iTunes by searching for "Moofcast".

We talked lots of Twisted Metal! I specifically called him out on the last stage in story mode, we talked dual-juggernauts strategy, making the cars unlockable for ranked games, and more. He was a great guest and was an all-around awesome dude and we loved having him on.

How many of you follow him on twitter? He's been tweeting some pretty rad custom skins. Earlier today I saw one of Sweet Tooth's truck made to look like it was created out of cardboard and crayon. Pretty awesome.

Tokubetsu

David Jaffe was on my podcast this week. Find it at Moofpack.com or on iTunes by searching for "Moofcast".

We talked lots of Twisted Metal! I specifically called him out on the last stage in story mode, we talked dual-juggernauts strategy, making the cars unlockable for ranked games, and more. He was a great guest and was an all-around awesome dude and we loved having him on.

How many of you follow him on twitter? He's been tweeting some pretty rad custom skins. Earlier today I saw one of Sweet Tooth's truck made to look like it was created out of cardboard and crayon. Pretty awesome.

He was talking about a Taco sweettooth truck but haven't seen it.

Santar

As the european release of this is coming up I'm really curious to know if anything other than the Meat Wagon special got censored from in game in the european version. Would be a real shame if so.

i7WDLEL0sEohY.jpg

J-Rod

Lots of crazy moments happen when playing this game. Got someone in the red on collosseum, so he went for the health in the center of the map. I managed to steal it and did a 180 just in time to see the spikes from the ceiling crush him to death. Good times.

Listen it for about 1 hour or so but gotta go before I finish. Great listen though.

namDa65

Okay I just experienced my first freeze mid-game today. I was playing splitscreen online as darkside and my friend was outlaw. Figured it was ok so I hard resetted the ps3.

When I got Twisted metal back up, I signed splitscreen back on, and got into a lobby. While picking vehicles, my ps3 locked up and froze again. Had to hard reset. I got worried and thought my ps3 was dying, so I tried other demanding games like god of war 3, and uncharted 2. I played for 2 hours without any hiccups.

Anyone else freeze and crash in twisted metal thus far?

ElRenoRaven

So David posted another update on twitter via twitlonger. lol

Will quote for the lazy.

davidscottjaffe said:
Just spoke with Papa Sony. Here's a TWISTED METAL UPDATE:

a- Still planning for patch to go live between 3-4 today (Cali time) BUT it ain't a done deal till the check's cleared the bank, as my dad likes to say. So we'll see, but we're all pretty confident it's gonna hit then AND fix things. Will it hit then? Dunno for sure. Will it fix a lot or a little or make things worse?!? Dunno. But that's the plan and the update.

b- Sounds like they've figured out why many skins are way too dark. Zach- our Sony Exec Producer- is speaking with web group today about how long it will take to get that issue resolved (assuming what they think is the problem REALLY IS the problem). He and I are speaking later today and he's gonna hit me up with an ETA for the skins appearing too dark issue.

c- Not yet sure if the skins that are not working now will automatically work once the fix hits or if you'll have to- OH SHIT :(- remake the skins. Zach is checking.

d- There was a bug today where skins were not going from the server to the game. This has either been fixed or will be fixed (seems like it will be fixed today).

e-User Interface needs love on areas of the site but for now- a warming: people have been losing skins they've made because they think they have 6 slots per car in their garage and hit DELETE in order to remove a car from a slot and put another car in that DELETED slot. Problem is, hitting DELETE in your garage doesn't just remove the skin from your slot in the garage, it removes it FOREVER from you list of vehicles/from the server. In essence, if you hit DELETE, it NUKES it. This is our fault on the UI end and we'll fix it. But mean time: a) there's a warning and b) you can store up to 199 skins PER VEHICLE. And you can view them all if you go to your garage and hit VIEW ALL on the bottom right of the row of skins for each vehicle. This will need to be made more clear as well.

f- People who have just out and out LOST SKINS and they don't come back: we are checking into this. No solves or understandings of the issue just yet. Biggest issue is the dark skins, once that is solved, we'll start hitting the rest.

g- Zach is working with Sony web group to get the BROWSING turned in on the site so players will not be limited to a SINGLE PAGE/CATEGORY of vehicles. There have been SO MANY AMAZING skins made and it kills me that so far, most of them are not getting seen! Hearing back from Zach this afternoon regarding when this is gonna updated to the site.

Ok- more as it breaks! :) Talk soon- gonna go get the dog groomed and his teeth brushed (he's got some NASTY ass breath! :)-

See ya'll on online this weekend! And fingers crossed that the patch fixes the network issues so we'll see a lot more Metal players this weekend.

David

AEREC

Okay I just experienced my first freeze mid-game today. I was playing splitscreen online as darkside and my friend was outlaw. Figured it was ok so I hard resetted the ps3.

When I got Twisted metal back up, I signed splitscreen back on, and got into a lobby. While picking vehicles, my ps3 locked up and froze again. Had to hard reset. I got worried and thought my ps3 was dying, so I tried other demanding games like god of war 3, and uncharted 2. I played for 2 hours without any hiccups.

Anyone else freeze and crash in twisted metal thus far?

Ya twice..once in SP and once in MP...no other games may my PS3 freeze. Got a slim too.

Minion101

Banned

Cool DLing now thanks.

ElRenoRaven

Patch is up. Logged in and got prompted to download it. It's 16MB. Won't be able to try it out till Fringe is over so I don't know if it fixes things yet.

Downloaded the patch, successfully joined the first game I found, and completed said game without disconnecting. That makes one online match completed since I bought the game on day one. Looks good so far.

Cheech

Anyone aware of someplace selling this for less than 60? I'm ready to buy now that online is useful, but 60 for Twisted Metal? Can't do it, and I'm the guy who bought a PS1 for TM2, and a PS2 for TM:B.

Helscream

Banned
I was kinda thinking and maybe we will have to wait a day or two for the patch to heavily saturate the rest of the online community. I am curious what happens to players with and without the patch playing in the same room.

RagnarokX

I was kinda thinking and maybe we will have to wait a day or two for the patch to heavily saturate the rest of the online community. I am curious what happens to players with and without the patch playing in the same room.

You can't play online without the patch. Might need to wait until tomorrow for everyone to turn off the game so they can be forced to download it, though. I'm still getting network errors and a game that just started crashed.

Killer

Banned
At this point fuck Jaffe, fuck Sony and fuck ESP. Never had such a frustrating experience in any game before. Bunch of fucking liars.

ElRenoRaven

David updated on twitter.

davidscottjaffe said:
Trying to find out if we took servers down b4 we deployed patch. If not, it may be patched peeps trying to play w/non patched.

He is being told though that many are finding it easier to get into games and play in them.

remist

I was getting into most of my games before the patch, now I'm getting errors every time I try. Hopefully this just takes a reset of the servers or something.

Edit: Can't log into server now.

Edit 2: Seems like jaffe told Sony to reset servers.

Seems like the TM network is down. Just lost connection to it in the middle of a great game.

Aside from that, it's been running pretty well. Got in 3/3 games. Still throws up a generic error for full rooms, though.

Edit: Reconnected, but stats server seems to be down now.
Protip: Don't try to manually refresh it from the stats page. Wouldn't let me back out and I had to restart the game. lol

Unicorn

What's that Sweet Tooth, you have no health? You're going to turn into sweet bot and fly away to heal up? Huh, you're going to fly over the icy waters of Metro Square to safety? Not on my freeze missile's watch. Oh, a measely 1 damage? Look again. Yes, yes, I earned that kill.

Of course, servers reset so I didn't get to finish that match.
Servers online now though. Patch has been slightly better.

Helscream

Banned
You can't play online without the patch. Might need to wait until tomorrow for everyone to turn off the game so they can be forced to download it, though. I'm still getting network errors and a game that just started crashed.

Didn't know about that. Well really hope this fixes everything or mostly everything. I guess the servers went down because we just got disconnected from that one match we were playing together. Maybe next time I should get Outlaw and try the magnet thing then. Didn't work to well with the sniper lol.

RagnarokX

Didn't know about that. Well really hope this fixes everything or mostly everything. I guess the servers went down because we just got disconnected from that one match we were playing together. Maybe next time I should get Outlaw and try the magnet thing then. Didn't work to well with the sniper lol.
Only way you can play without a patch is if you were playing while the patch hit. As soon as you boot the game up again you'll be forced to download it. If only they could remotely restart every PS3.

I think the magnet thing could make Roadkill actually reliable.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but every time I use Quick Join Team Games option, the only matches I get placed into are Nuke games. I like Nuke and all, but I thought that was supposed to be the Team Objective option? What's the deal here?

Typhest

Neo Member
At this point fuck Jaffe, fuck Sony and fuck ESP. Never had such a frustrating experience in any game before. Bunch of fucking liars.

I'm getting to this point too. I was really hoping that this patch would fix the system crashes, but it hasn't done a thing. All that's happened is that the game no longer recognizes my single player progress.

New update from Jaffe via Twitlonger:
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/g3r3vo
Latest update on TM (post patch):

1- Around 12 tomorrow we will best be able to determine how good the patch worked. There are two issues keeping us from doing so right now:

a- even tho we shut down servers, not everyone in game has patch because unless they turn off TM and reboot, they are not forced to install patch and we have no way of forcing he install. Tomorrow am, this should be resolved for 99% of the cases.

b- This is what Sony says is happening tomorrow at around 9am (no patch needed; it's all on the Sony side): Deploy Bandwidth Probe server. Used to determine the client's network bandwidth capabilities. Ex. Good bandwidth can create large games, bad can create smaller games. Theory is there are a number of players with bad connections being allowed to create 16 player games, when they can't support it. Players trying to join will fail and receive errors

By tomorrow at noon, these two issues will be up and running/resolved and then we'll have a much better idea what is up. Meanwhile, we are seeing lots of people saying tonite's patch is already helping them but we are seeing some saying that's not the case.

I will be creating games 2nite and will tweet the game rooms. Since I have the bandwidth and folks reading this will have the patch (as will I) ideally we will be experiencing a much, much better connection experience.

2- SKINS- they think they have the 'SKINS ARE TOO DARK' issues resolved and are testing it tonite. I will know around 8-10 tonite if that issue IS solved and can let you know when the website will update with the fix.

David

As for the current status of the servers, he said he's looking into an ETA on when they'll be back up. Can't be that long.

Unicorn

I'm getting to this point too. I was really hoping that this patch would fix the system crashes, but it hasn't done a thing. All that's happened is that the game no longer recognizes my single player progress.

Everyone needs the patch for it to work.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I appreciate how open and forthcoming Jaffe is about all of this, but really at this point this is complete bullshit for everyone who bought this game. I cant remember a release in recent memory with a main feature of the game (in this case, multiplayer) as completely f'd up and mostly non-functional. The worse part is noone seems to know what the hell is wrong.

Getting into all the games I want but it seems we still have an issue with douche hosts who won't start. Now that it's apparently very obvious you are host (haven't seen the screen myself, yet), I can't think of any other excuse but lobby griefing... something I haven't seen since L4D2 lol.

The game needs an autostart or vote to start option.

Top Bottom