• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon: Dig, Dig for Victory!

So, are we betting on how long this game is gonna take to be beaten? I'd say something like 11 days.

Also, could Nintendo ever complain about how "all these people are playing a Pokemon rom and it's unfair and illegal"?
Entering button inputs is hardly illegal, otherwise owning replay files would be illegal.

You are really, REALLY underestimating how incredibly low the chances of inputting the correct commands, in sequence to finish those puzzles is.

The 12 lefts in a row without a single down will seem like a happy memory in comparison.

Even if we had an entire squad of 100's with us, the atrition of wasting PP on the wild pokemon will force us to use STRUGGLE, which damages the pokemon that uses it, eventually killing the team and restarting the entire process ALL OVER AGAIN.

This isn't a matter of having faith we'll make it; It's pure maths.

The heat death of the universe will occur before we finish this.
As we've said, if it gets too ridiculous, the amount of people playing will drop and it'll just get easier and easier to co-ordinate things, slow and steady wins the race, with this said I don't expect it to be done for a long, long time, I'm guessing months at the very least.

harmonize

I'm now convinced somebody at Gamefreak in the mid-nineties foresaw internet connectivity advancing to the current point where Twitchplays are possible, and decided to add insanely difficult obstacles to prevent us from collectively beating the game. Release being a prominent PC option, the multitude of harrowing and long ledges, the Safari Zone, start to use HM, strength in Victory Road: none of these pose a significant problem in a normal runthrough of the game, but almost destroys any chance of completing them in the manner we're attempting to.

Purkake4

Banned
I've been watching this on and off for awhile now. Its a great concept, but because of the mass amount of drive-by-trolling, the admin seriously needs to find a way of locking down who can post, get more trusted Moderators who can ban/mute people who are obviously not there to play the game.

Yesterday, we were stuck at a single spot for literally 6 hours because Reddit and 4chan kept on running in and throwing us off a 1 block cliff while locking us in the corner
Yes, it's a social experiment. If you just want to play Pokemon the easy way you already can.

IHaveIce

Banned
So, are we betting on how long this game is gonna take to be beaten? I'd say something like 11 days.

Also, could Nintendo ever complain about how "all these people are playing a Pokemon rom and it's unfair and illegal"?
This will take longer than 11 days

Hoo-doo

Banned
It wasn't literally six hours, it was literally 24 hours.

Even if it was six straight months, it would have been beautiful.

It's part of the appeal. The incredible, incredible low odds of something working out and watching with 10k spamming assholes, hoping that it magically does.

People going "waaah, they should limit the inputs and get rid of the trolls for the SERIOUS GAMERS trying to play Pokémon" are missing the point entirely.

Grizzo

Entering button inputs is hardly illegal, otherwise owning replay files would be illegal.

I see what you mean, and I agree with you, but I also thought that technically, you could argue that everybody is playing a game that they don't necessarily own (but that's nitpicking).

11 days? More like 11 weeks

I don't know, 3 days in and we've already got 3 badges out of 8. That's not too bad. But I forgot about all the quests like Lavender Town or the Sylph Sarl so yeah... probably more like 20 days.

Talamius

Nintendo would have to acknowledge the internet exists first.

It's part of the appeal. The incredible, incredible low odds of something working out and watching with 10k spamming assholes, hoping that it magically does.

People going "waaah, they should limit the inputs and get rid of the trolls for the SERIOUS GAMERS trying to play Pokémon" are missing the point entirely.
Yeah I was really, really pessimistic about this but to hear them get this far completely changed my attitude towards it. This is trying to prove the bunch of monkeys being able to write the entirety of Shakespeare's literacy given enough time, and I've always been a believer in such a theory.

I see what you mean, and I agree with you, but I also thought that technically, you could argue that everybody is playing a game that they don't necessarily own (but that's nitpicking).
Technically everyone's just watching a live stream of a game, while spamming on twitch...just like every other stream =p

I don't know, 3 days in and we've already got 3 badges out of 8. That's not too bad. But I forgot about all the quests like Lavender Town or the Sylph Sarl so yeah... probably more like 20 days.
Everything's been a cakewalk if you compare it to something like victory road, parts like that is just gonna be exponentially harder and take much, much longer to past.

How do you know whos trolling and whos not? Its fair game whatever input you choose. What you're suggesting kinda ruins the spirit of the whole thing.
A good portion of the trolls dont make it hard to spot them. During one of the drive-by trollings I was watching, they all kept on saying.

"Viva la Reddit/4Chan/NeoGaf" or something pertaining to that after every command they did which chucked us off a cliff. None of them got reprimanded either.

If you atleast got rid of those people who intentionally say it, the driveby trollings would be much more manageable.

Grizzo

But even without the trolls, the delay makes controlling the game already pretty tough as it is.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I think realistically 3-4 weeks, assuming the creator steps in during the impossible parts like Safari Zone and maybe Victory Road

5-6 months if the creator is stepping in ONLY during the safari zone.

Mikey Jr.

I love how people come in here and are shocked that we are in the same place for the past X amount of hours.

People, it is going to take us a LONG time to beat this game. With what people are saying on here, I think it actually might be impossible. There are too many things that need precision. Only way we'll get through some of this shit is with the streamers help.

A good portion of the trolls dont make it hard to spot them. During one of the drive-by trollings I was watching, they all kept on saying.

"Viva la Reddit/4Chan/NeoGaf" or something pertaining to that after every command they did which chucked us off a cliff. None of them got reprimanded either.

If you atleast got rid of those people who intentionally say it, the driveby trollings would be much more manageable.
Complete chaos is what makes it beautiful.

trixx

11 days...

even if we take away the obstacles, how in the world are we going to beat elite 4 with this team

Zabant

as we said, if it gets too ridiculous, the amount of people playing will drop and it'll just get easier and easier to co-ordinate things, slow and steady wins the race, with this said I don't expect it to be done for a long, long time, I'm guessing months at the very least.

Down bots don't get tired, they don't eat, need to go take a shit, they don't lose faith.

I guarantee you this is as close to impossible as something can be.

The streamer will intervene, but as it is right now with pure chat commands, we'll never see it finished.

Yep you use it to flee and the marowak ghost disappears, with no need to clear out the hide out for it.

bYUXYJ9.gif

We've gotta tell them to do this.

Down bots don't get tired, they don't eat, need to go take a shit, they don't lose faith.

I guarantee you this is as close to impossible as something can be.

The streamer will intervene, but as it is right now with pure chat commands, we'll never see it finished.
Yeah I suppose something should be done about bots.

trixx

Holy crap i've been gone for a while. Level 39 pidgeotto dang, we're not letting it evolve?

End of the cave!!! You guys rock!!!

Anth0ny

Do they have enough money to afford a poke doll? Lol

If so, they should definitely go for it instead of the rockets basement.

Koren

Far more than that I think. There's near-impossible areas ahead. But I still think that, with time, they can do it.

They could. The owner of the stream is providing a working pokemon game to people that don't own it. It's still a very complex affair, but I'm not sure that the owner of the stream would want to stand against a C&D, should they issue one.

That would be retarded, though. It's giving them a lot of free advertisement for no loss. I'm even tempted to boot a pokemon game myself since friday, and I've thought of buying white or black because of this (I wanted to wait for "gray")

Top Bottom