• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon: Dig, Dig for Victory!

emb

That was hype.

Kinda makes up for periodically having tuned in over the last 4-5 hours to see constant Misty losses and confused grinding.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I do wonder how Rock Tunnel will be done. Since you need Flash to get through there.

First time I played Pokemon I thought the challenge was to make it through blind because I didnt know about flash. I can guarantee you that its doable.

Yes, I got through it blind even without knowing the dungeon layout.

The Twitch grandmaster saved the emulator state after beating Misty lol.

I don't blame him... I'd imagine that Pokemon, the emulator, and the program used to stream were all not designed with 24/7 running in mind... any of those could be a weak link in the chain.

Holy shit they beat Misty?

Why am I stuck in delayed train hell :(

Have they got the S.S. Anne ticket yet?

Not yet, if you missed it
mTSFQ11.gif
it was a thing of beauty.

daydream

Banned
so many trolls typing in B

there is literally no reason to press the b button unless you want to get out of a menu

I think the trolls are the ones pressing start and the people typing B to counteract that are the good guys, no? Wouldn't have lost that Moon Stone if more people had typed in B.

I think the trolls are the ones pressing start and the people typing B to counteract that are the good guys, no? Wouldn't have lost that Moon Stone if more people had typed in B.

This. B pressers are the anti-trolls. The trolls are pressing start/select. The only time B presses are useful is in counteracting those.

Mit-

Coordinating cut on a bush is going to be actually impossible.

Does anyone know how they got a third Pokemon?

BlueMagic

People are gonna keep going aren't they?
We should bet on how long it will take till we beat Surge. By saturday night gmt -3 is my guess.

Ferrio

Banned
So twitch scrolls by fast... it can't be processing all the inputs or there'd be a huge queue of inputs wouldn't there?

Newline

This. B pressers are the anti-trolls. The trolls are pressing start/select. The only time B presses are useful is in counteracting those.

So how is it worked out, does it tally up all the inputs every few milliseconds or something or is it just first input every time?

Mit-

A poke has to learn cut first!
Exactly. Then they have to line up and face a bush, hit start, go to PKMN, select the right Pokemon, use Cut, and proceed.

Also the bush reappears if you wander away and come back.

And if you can toss HMs, game over.

Oh god I just realized we have to go through Rock Tunnel next

We're probably not even gonna bother with Flash. And knowing this crowd, once we're in there we're never gonna get back out. RIP

adixon

On the one hand it would have been pretty amazing to see Jay Leno rip that smug starfish to shreds, on the other hand ABBBBBBK ( really got some satisfying vengeance on his bane/nemesis there.

ElFly

So twitch scrolls by fast... it can't be processing all the inputs or there'd be a huge queue of inputs wouldn't there?

A ton of inputs get ignored. I think that if you do anything midwalk it will be ignored (the walk is discrete, square per square).

Randdalf

This makes me wonder if you could hook up a reinforcement learning algorithm, using some sort of temporal difference learning, to complete Pokemon.

DaBoss

Right, I wasn't thinking when I posted that lol. Those Start spammers are just annoying as hell. There always has to be people ruining the fun.

ElFly

This makes me wonder if you could hook up a reinforcement learning algorithm, using some sort of temporal difference learning, to complete Pokemon.

There is a program where a computer can learn to play simpler NES games, as long as there is a clear progress indicator (normally score, lives and or position, for games about going to the right). It's super slow, tho.

Pokemon would be far too complex for this. Maybe if you went with experience of a main poke.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Oh, look. Visiting Misty again. Well, I did start to miss her already.

Right, I wasn't thinking when I posted that lol. Those Start spammers are just annoying as hell. There always has to be people ruining the fun.

Start Spammers are comparably harmless though.

There is a program where a computer can learn to play simpler NES games, as long as there is a clear progress indicator (normally score, lives and or position, for games about going to the right). It's super slow, tho.

Pokemon would be far too complex for this. Maybe if you went with experience of a main poke.

I was faster :p

Top Bottom