• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon: Dig, Dig for Victory!

A ton of inputs get ignored. I think that if you do anything midwalk it will be ignored (the walk is discrete, square per square).

The emulator can accept an input every frame (60FPS, means 60 actions per second) BUT pokemon was not designed with any sort of queuing or anything else... so if another action is happening (walking down for example) all inputs are ignored till the animation is complete. The emulator itself (and the game by extension) are seeing all of those extra commands, they are simply being ignored by the game.

Mit-

A ton of inputs get ignored. I think that if you do anything midwalk it will be ignored (the walk is discrete, square per square).
Right. It's just like mashing on buttons on a Game Boy. If I rapidly hit the right d-pad button twice, I'm only going to move one space. It isn't going to buffer that into two spaces.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I want a Tekken 3 Mirror match Dr Boskonovitch double stream setup.

I'm pretty sure we do indeed have a goal of getting to Bill's house to get the SSAnne ticket.

Chat is divided heavily on doing that and going to the pokemart and getting pokeballs to try and catch more pokemon. That strong division is having an impact on his movements (compare that to when everyone was focused on battling misty... we failed a lot, but we always managed to get there)

emb

First time I played Pokemon I thought the challenge was to make it through blind because I didnt know about flash. I can guarantee you that its doable.

Yes, I got through it blind even without knowing the dungeon layout.
Glad I'm not the only one. That stuff was miserable. Don't know how I had the patience to do that back then.

Glad I'm not the only one. That stuff was miserable. Don't know how I had the patience to do that back then.

It's not that hard because you can clearly see the walls. It can even be faster if you've traveled through it several times.

Only thing this run needs is a pokemon with explosion.

JonCha

The thing is, when they get to something where they actually have to win they'll probably be more sensible. I think. The problem is getting there.

DaBoss

Get the SS ticket from Bill at the very end of route 26(after nugget bridge), go behind that house and defeat the rocket grunt, go to SS Anne, go to Vermillion gym.
lol I don't remember any of this.

Did they change it up in Fire Red? That was the last time I played a Gen 1 game.

Timeaisis

From a technical standpoint, how is this done?

It's just an emulator modded to receive input from the side of the twitch stream. So, basically, someone set up an emulator that would connect to the Pokemon twitch stream, scan for comments, and parse out the input (up, down, left, right, etc) and then feed that input into the emulator, which, obviously is streamed. I'm not sure how it's handling the sheer volume of people, but it seems like some input is ignored in certain circumstances.

A good analogy would be play Pokemon on GB and just mashing all the buttons randomly. It's all input being sent to the game, but lots of it is not processed because it's not looking for that input at that exact moment.

Top Bottom