• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon: Dig, Dig for Victory!

okayfrog

Banned
How the hell did they manage to get that far? lol.

On the first day, there were only 40-50 people in the chat, apparently. Around 9pm last night when I tuned in, there were 200. Within two hours, that had ballooned to 2,000, with a fair amount of them being trolls from 4chan. Thanks to slow mode and there now being 9,000 people, the trolls have less power, meaning things are slightly more possible. Not as possible as when there were only 40-50 people, of course, but better than when it was a couple thousand with half saying "start" or "down".

Kriken

10,000 people are controlling this now? Now even more of nothing will be accomplished XD

Edit: Just went back to page 18, how the hell did the chat manage to do that?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I need a video/gif/anything from that battle! When i went to bed last night, Misty destroyed the Charizard!

Not the full battle, but 2-3 pages back someone posted the final moments in a gif. It was basically Sand attack spam with pidgeotto and then finishing off starmie with the fire starter.

Rapstah

There's eventually going to be more noise than signal, as the game gets to parts where the average viewer doesn't know where to go.

emb

I need a video/gif/anything from that battle! When i went to bed last night, Misty destroyed the Charizard!
There a gif a few pages back of the last turn.

Basically, Pidgeotto got some sand attacks in before it went down, Rattata got some tail whips, the Charmeleon cleaned up. The next to last hit was really close too; I got worried when Starmie didn't die from the first scratch.

There's eventually going to be more noise than signal, as the game gets to parts where the average viewer doesn't know where to go.
"Eventually". Right... I think we're already there. Ever since after the Misty fight, they've just been wondering around Cerulean. I don't think it's even that the average viewer now doesn't know where to go, just a combination of a few not knowing where to go, trolls, delay, redundant inputs, and overall just way too many people viewing now.

mclem

Only problem is that dying gets you all the way back to the castle. So it'd be 100x worse than dying here and trying to make your way back to Misty.

True, but on the other hand, you can grind relentlessly and I don't think you can permanently lose major progress.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
If there are a few days with too much noise, numbers will go down again and people will progress. They'll make it eventually.

At that point we can argue that either leadership will pop up to direct others or that given enough time even random inputs will get them through. Or that so many people will get bored of the randomness that it will shrink and allow more signal through.

Toma

At that point we can argue that either leadership will pop up to direct others or that given enough time even random inputs will get them through. Or that so many people will get bored of the randomness that it will shrink and allow more signal through.

No way leadership will be enough, but yeah, my bet is on #3.

ElFly

True, but on the other hand, you can grind relentlessly and I don't think you can permanently lose major progress.

I think that Dragon Quest 1 started the whole "dying takes half your money" thing, and money is more important than in pokemon.

I guess you could survive with only the equipment found in caves, but IIRC you had to buy keys.

Cess007

Not the full battle, but 2-3 pages back someone posted the final moments in a gif. It was basically Sand attack spam with pidgeotto and then finishing off starmie with the fire starter.

There a gif a few pages back of the last turn.

Basically, Pidgeotto got some sand attacks in before it went down, Rattata got some tail whips, the Charmeleon cleaned up. The next to last hit was really close too; I got worried when Starmie didn't die from the first scratch.

Found it! Thanks guys :)

mTSFQ11.gif

Man, i would have really loved watched that live :p

On the first day, there were only 40-50 people in the chat, apparently. Around 9pm last night when I tuned in, there were 200. Within two hours, that had ballooned to 2,000, with a fair amount of them being trolls from 4chan. Thanks to slow mode and there now being 9,000 people, the trolls have less power, meaning things are slightly more possible. Not as possible as when there were only 40-50 people, of course, but better than when it was a couple thousand with half saying "start" or "down".
Not now that the majorty of viewers don't know where to go. The perfect moment was around 3000 people, now it's just repetitive and boring.

bon

This is painful to watch. The struggle of thousands of people trying to accomplish simple tasks together. This is art.

Timeaisis

I'd like this idea applied to other games. It would be really entertaining to watch thousands of people try to play the original Legend of Zelda.

Acrylic7

Ahh, that makes far more sense. No way in hell that many people could have made it all the way to beat Misty, surprised they even got out of Mt.Moon.

Cess007

I'd like this idea applied to other games. It would be really entertaining to watch thousands of people try to play the original Legend of Zelda.

I think the creator said he/she choose Pokemon Red/Blue for the slow paced, turn based gameplay.

Twitch Plays Pokémon's creator says they chose the original Pokémon for its "turn-based gameplay, forgiving nature and its lack of reaction-based gameplay (which isn't compatible with [20 seconds-plus] of Twitch lag)."

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/14/5411790/twitch-plays-pokemon-creator-interview-twitchplayspokemon

Sadly, Zelda seems to me like a most fast-paced game that will be impossible to completed with the method :(

PBalfredo

I believe in Twitch. Given infinite time, they can become the pokemon champion. There will be huge bottlenecks where key items or HM moves are needed, but with enough time they will get through. The only negative progress possible in Pokemon is losing money from getting a game over, but money is not terribly important in this game. Outside of money, Red's pokemon can only get stronger and stronger.

Victory through attrition.

Toxi

Banned
Oh god I just realized we have to go through Rock Tunnel next

We're probably not even gonna bother with Flash. And knowing this crowd, once we're in there we're never gonna get back out. RIP
I think it'll take them the same amount of time to get out with or without being able to see. Hell, it'll probably take less because the trolls won't know which direction to push.

I believe in Twitch. Given infinite time, they can become the pokemon champion. There will be huge bottlenecks where key items or HM moves are needed, but with enough time they will get through. The only negative progress possible in Pokemon is losing money from getting a game over, but money is not terribly important in this game. Outside of money, Red's pokemon can only get stronger and stronger.

Victory through attrition.
"So you wanna be the Master of
Pokémon!
Do you have the skills to be
Number one!?"

harmonize

The only negative progress possible in Pokemon is losing money from getting a game over, but money is not terribly important in this game.
It's actually very important in Red/Blue with the Safari Zone, a mandatory area where you're both limited by the number of steps you can take and by the amount of money you have. I'm actually really curious as to how they're going to complete it, because it seems near impossible with the lack of coordination this method of play entails.

Toxi

Banned
It's actually very important in Red/Blue with the Safari Zone, a mandatory area where you're both limited by the number of steps you can take and by the amount of money you have. I'm actually really curious as to how they're going to complete it, because it seems near impossible with the lack of coordination this method of play entails.
And there are TWO mandatory items in the Safari Zone. They're never gonna finish.

bon

Aw, they almost managed to level up their Rattata by swapping it out but then they swapped it back in and it fainted.

Top Bottom