• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon: Dig, Dig for Victory!

Garjon

Huh. No trainer in RBY has a Kabuto or Kabutops to my knowledge. However...
kabuskel.png

The fossilised Omastar, Kabutops and Aerodactyl always freaked me out when that happened.

okayfrog

Banned
Pretty much this. The stream may try to keep anarchy out of pride but it doesn't do anything for the run. Any serious strategy will involve democracy.

There is no strategy to democracy, it's just pressing the right button. Anarchy means pressing the right button whilst accounting for 50k+ other people trying to press the same button and many others. It makes the stream a lot more interesting and a lot more intense. It's also how the stream started and thus how it should end.

If we didn't have democracy, we'd still be in the maze.

No prophet killing. No drowzee liberation. No continuation of the meta.

You best not be giving the Flareon release and Drowzee withdraw to Democracy. That was all Anarchy, and it was done beautifully.

Lets see how much our lovely team of prophets have done while I was awa---

ixPl0B2E85IK6.gif

No......no! Not like this! He was so young! HE ONLY WANTED TO HELP! WHY!?!??

......*sigh* may he find Abby and Jay and rest in peace with them. u.u

Trey

You best not be giving the Flareon release and Drowzee withdraw to Democracy. That was all Anarchy, and it was done beautifully.

Of course it was anarchy. That mode should be how the majority of the run is played. I'm just pointing out how instrumental democracy was to the continuation of the run. It's a useful, perhaps even necessary tool to have; complementary to anarchy.

okayfrog

Banned
Of course it was anarchy. That mode should be how the majority of the run is played. I'm just pointing out how instrumental democracy was to the continuation of the run. It's a useful, perhaps even necessary tool to have; complementary to anarchy.

You'd be saying the same thing if democracy was introduced during the ledge, and that's why it bothers me so damn much.

Box

There is no strategy to democracy, it's just pressing the right button. Anarchy means pressing the right button whilst accounting for 50k+ other people trying to press the same button and many others. It makes the stream a lot more interesting and a lot more intense. It's also how the stream started and thus how it should end.

I'm not going to argue about which system is more fun, but what I'm trying to say is that if you want to be serious about completing the game, you should be voting for democracy. Play to win. This makes anarchy pointless as democracy is now the dominant strategy for every objective.

okayfrog

Banned
I'm not going to argue about which system is more fun, but what I'm trying to say is that if you want to be serious about completing the game, you should be voting for democracy. Play to win. This makes anarchy pointless as democracy is now the dominant strategy for every objective.

If you want to be more serious about beating the game, you should play the game yourself.

kiguel182

The idea wasn't to simply finish the game, it was to see how far we could go using the original terms.

Finishing pokemon Red is hardly a challenge.

Trey

You'd be saying the same thing if democracy was introduced during the ledge, and that's why it bothers me so damn much.

I think the ledge was reasonably doable. The maze? Nah. Too much precision required. We were in the spin cycle for more than a day, and nothing noteworthy happened.

I think the ledge was reasonably doable. The maze? Nah. Too much precision required. We were in the spin cycle for more than a day, and nothing noteworthy happened.

Don't try to argue with him. He'll just say that a "win" using democracy is an empty victory because he has some purist notion of how the run "should" be and what the stream "should" be like. I'm pretty sure that streamer just wants to watch several thousand people play one game together, anarchy or not.

From the Twitch summary:

Anarchy and Democracy

TwitchPlaysPokemon now has two modes, anarchy and democracy.

Anarchy mode is the "old" mode, where everyone's inputs are applied immediately.

Democracy mode is vote-based and has a more sophisticated input system.

In order to switch from one mode to the other, the mode that isn't active needs 75% of votes as indicated by the dotted line, the current percentage of votes is indicated by the black line.

In democracy mode you can compile a sequence of inputs. left2 will move left twice, left2down2 will move left twice and down twice.

Neol

lol oh god the false prophet is gone.

At least we got the drowzee tho. Can handle lavender town hopefully if we ever get the silph scope.

Top Bottom