• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon: Dig, Dig for Victory!

RedShift

Fuck this. Lots of people seem to be convinced we have to redo the maze.

We need democracy to reach him.

Going to sleep now, hopefully it'll be done when I'm up. See you in |OT2| guys.

Of course the streamer wants more people watching, he is making money out of this. He wants an audience.

He can do whatever he wants with this, and I can say whatever I want about what he is doing. What's your point?

Didn't say you couldn't speak your mind. Just that your opinions of what the "point" of the run is are kind of laughable considering the point of the run is whatever the streamer says it is, being the principle and only experimenter.

Toxi

Banned
It'd be hilarious if we actually managed to keep TM07 until we get Lapras.

(Even though it'll probably be too slow to actually use Horn Drill)

Box

If you want to be more serious about beating the game, you should play the game yourself.
The idea wasn't to simply finish the game, it was to see how far we could go using the original terms.

Finishing pokemon Red is hardly a challenge.
If I cared about playing to win I would just go play Pokemon Red myself.

This was interesting for the culture it created which was born out of the sheer insanity of the anarchy system, and seeing the seemingly impossible happen when major obstacles were overcome amidst the chaos.

Now we're about to vote democracy in so we can walk into the correct gigantic hallway.

I think you're all missing the point. I'm saying that you shouldn't want to play on anarchy. TPP is a game we've been trying our hardest to beat. Before, playing to win involved overcoming anarchy. Now it does not. That undermines the integrity of getting serious about winning in anarchy. And that's why I don't think anarchy is going to make any significant progress from here on.

okayfrog

Banned
The democracy-anarchy voting setup takes this line of thinking and applies it to large populations of people. When massive chaos makes progress untenable, instead of leaving the chat and waiting for it to progress with less people (more order), you can install democracy (also order).

Democracy will only be installed when the vast majority of people want it, which is only at the point when anarchy is highly unproductive and frustrating. Anarchy is the default way of things, and since the implementation of democracy, the stream (under anarchy) has created more content than in the last 48 hours.

I don't understand why people are bothered that this thing is frustrating. When there were 200 people in the stream it was frustrating. One of the main purposes of this stream is that it's frustrating. You're just supposed to grin and bear it, and if you can't take it, leave and possibly miss out on great moments.

Aggrotek

Reposting:

JkrSQdR.png

AngryMoth

Only been tuning in for a minute or so at a time so I don't understand what it is about this area that is taking so long but from what I remember I honestly never expected it to be such a road block. Doesn't bode well for some of the later areas...

kiguel182

Didn't say you couldn't speak your mind. Just that your opinions of what the "point" of the run is are kind of laughable considering the point of the run is whatever the streamer says it is, being the principle and only experimenter.

Yes, my opinion is laughable because I think that the stream shouldn't have changed.

At least I can argue in favor of my views instead of just claiming "the streamer does want he wants".

But I've said enough about this subject to you and since you clearly aren't interested in talking about it we should leave it here. Just wasting my time now.

Trey

I don't understand why people are bothered that this thing is frustrating. When there were 200 people in the stream it was frustrating. One of the main purposes of this stream is that it's frustrating. You're just supposed to grin and bear it, and if you can't take it, leave and possibly miss out on great moments.

Frustrating to the point that it makes people want to leave. So instead of those people leaving, they vote in democracy and get shit done, then the chat goes back to anarchy.

It seems designed to be as self correcting as the system of people leaving until there are few enough people who "care" to get beyond a problematic juncture.

okayfrog

Banned
I think you're all missing the point. I'm saying that you shouldn't want to play on anarchy. TPP is a game we've been trying our hardest to beat. Before, playing to win involved overcoming anarchy. Now it does not. That undermines the integrity of getting serious about winning in anarchy. And that's why I don't think anarchy is going to make any significant progress from here on.

I think one of the biggest problems is the fact that it's referred to as "anarchy". It's normalcy. It's how the stream started and it's how the stream was up until this morning. They caught several Pokemon, taught some moves, cut some trees, leaped some ledges, and beat half the gyms before democracy. You can say, "Well this would take a long time!" yeah, sure, but so what? Pokemon is a game that can normally be beaten within 30-40 hours. We were at 120 this morning. It's going to take a damn long time.

You can say that TPP should be about democracy, but I say it shouldn't have changed. Democracy should have been its own separate stream, like how RNG was, because it's a drastic change that is completely different from what the stream was before.

Frustrating to the point that it makes people want to leave. So instead of those people leaving, they vote in democracy and get shit done, then the chat goes back to anarchy.

It seems designed to be as self correcting as the system of people leaving until there are few enough people who "care" to get beyond a problematic juncture.

I left when it was frustrating on the second day with 2k people. You're supposed to leave. It's not normal to stay in the stream all day. You're supposed to pop in and out.

kiguel182

But we still want to overcome the anarchy by playing in it.

Democracy would be the same as the streamer playing the game when it gets tough since it's fairly easy to coordinate people in the democracy system.

I mean, the whole set of memes comes from the confusing way we are playing it.

Top Bottom