• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon: Dig, Dig for Victory!

Mit-

I'm not going to argue about which system is more fun, but what I'm trying to say is that if you want to be serious about completing the game, you should be voting for democracy. Play to win. This makes anarchy pointless as democracy is now the dominant strategy for every objective.

If I cared about playing to win I would just go play Pokemon Red myself.

This was interesting for the culture it created which was born out of the sheer insanity of the anarchy system, and seeing the seemingly impossible happen when major obstacles were overcome amidst the chaos.

Now we're about to vote democracy in so we can walk into the correct gigantic hallway.

BlueMagic

Say what you will about anarchy, but it wasn't really hard to navigate in general directions. Feels like most people is just trying to activate democracy (or prevent it).

okayfrog

Banned
Do you honestly think the maze would have been beaten in a reasonable amount of time? Like within the week?

Reasonable amount of time? That's very subjective. IMO, a reasonable amount of time for me is "my lifetime". If it took a year for the maze to be beaten, I'd be okay with that, just because it would be so awesome to hear that the run is going to continue, that however so many people all talking at the same time managed to push through.

If I wanted a "reasonable amount of time" I would have watched a Let's Play, or played the game myself. Playing with Democracy on is like playing with a strategy guide because you get stuck at a part.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
d6c.jpg

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I like how the decision between anarchy and democracy was chosen democratically. Even if you want anarchy, you have to be democratic about it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I like how the decision between anarchy and democracy was chosen democratically. Even if you want anarchy, you have to be democratic about it.

Not true. You can trigger the revolution via start9.

Toxi

Banned
Can somebody quickly summary what is going on here with this pokemon story.

What is anarchy, democracy, false prophet, etc
In olden times, back when there were only 152 Pokemon, a young boy named RED started his journey with nothing more than a few voices in his head. He was given guidance in the form of ABBBBBK(, whose fiery tail lit the way like a candle-light. And so RED found his way through the dark woods and into the bright world. He defeated a stone-cold tyrant, recruited a fledgling, and eventually wandered to the heart of a great mountain. There he met the creator and the destroyer, the spiral of life and the smooth sheen of death. Both offered their services.

The boy chose wisely.

RED and his companions grew strong, recognizing the voices as the song of the Helix. Along the way they found new friends: The midnight comedian, the decadent exorcist, the samurai with a name, and even the now thrice-cursed underminer. The team conquered roaring seas, thunderous storms, perilous cliffs, angry hikers, and even a cavern eternally blanketed in the Dome's dark underbelly.

But RED didn't make it out of that cave unscathed. As he entered the bright and beautiful Celadon metropolis, some new murmers pierced the holy hymn, whispering of a new prophet who would even surpass Blessed Pidgeot. At first he ignored the voices, determined to cut through the malignant foliage that had wrapped around a temple of the Helix. And when that was done, the siren song drew him to the top of a great tower.

ABBBBBB( by that point was old and weak; its body had been broken by the previous toils. The salamander knew that its role was finished, that its former pupil Pidgey had become a mighty warrior, and that RED now thought of it as a burden. Yet the moment it saw the glass-eyed Eeevee, it realized doom was upon them. It remembered that they needed one more warrior to take them across the ocean, and now a trickster was in its place. They had to make space, and there was only one place they could do that.

Coddled by his new "friend" and unable to comprehend the furious words of Helix, RED walked to the edge of a yawning chasm. This was the PC, the gate to both hell and limbo. He questioned the false prophet if his Pokemon would be safe there, and it only nodded and smiled. And with that confirmation, Red cast Pidgeot into the abyss. We would have lost our greatest hero if but not for ABBBBBB( and Jay Leno, who threw themselves in after it. The two unleashed the last of their energy to toss Pidgeot back to the heavens, and then quietly perished.

RED lost two Pokemon that day. Bitter and angry, the Helix followed ABBBBBB('s example and bided its time, and now it has struck great vengeance.

Now RED faces a choice again.

In one ear chimes the traditional prayer of the Helix. It offers him freedom from all directives and rules, and with it the ability to earn self-respect, achievement, and satisfaction through his own charms and perserverance. It will be a difficult journey with many pitfalls, the Spiraled One admits, but at the end he will cherish it all the more.

In the other whispers the shadowy Dome. "Getting bored yet?" "Frustrated after another ledge jump?" "Perhaps you actually want to start winning battles?" And as the Enemy wears RED down with every jibe and taunt, it offers him sweet slavery under its iron fist in the charming guise of 'Democracy'. No more wandering thoughts, no more fun and games. Just easy and mindless efficiency as the Dome's puppet.

You'd be saying the same thing if democracy was introduced during the ledge, and that's why it bothers me so damn much.

The ledge was feasible. No way in hell would that have been introduced then, because it was accomplished within a day. Twice.

You can try to justify not needing it all you want during the Maze but you seem to be the only one okay with that part taking weeks or months. That Maze needed precision.

We don't need democracy now, obviously, but you seem to be the only one genuinely upset by it's existence and the only one fine with being stuck at a part for weeks.

~100k are playing a single-player game no matter how you put it. Democracy or Anarchy aside.

kiguel182

Don't try to argue with him. He'll just say that a "win" using democracy is an empty victory because he has some purist notion of how the run "should" be and what the stream "should" be like. I'm pretty sure that streamer just wants to watch several thousand people play one game together, anarchy or not.

because it is,

You might like it or not but the accomplishments we had were only big since the probability of actually doing them was so low.

Democracy makes things easy even if assures us we can win the game. And that was hardly ever the point of this.

Reasonable amount of time? That's very subjective. IMO, a reasonable amount of time for me is "my lifetime". If it took a year for the maze to be beaten, I'd be okay with that, just because it would be so awesome to hear that the run is going to continue, that however so many people all talking at the same time managed to push through.

If I wanted a "reasonable amount of time" I would have watched a Let's Play, or played the game myself. Playing with Democracy on is like playing with a strategy guide because you get stuck at a part.

I think the concern is that there would no longer be any interest if it took long enough. That's what I meant by reasonable amount of time. Part of what makes this so awesome is just how many people are contributing simultaneously to a Pokemon game, which I thought was the point of the stream.

because it is,

You might like it or not but the accomplishments we had were only big since the probability of actually doing them was so low.

Democracy makes things easy even if assures us we can win the game. And that was hardly ever the point of this.

well it looks like anarchy will reign supreme for the time being

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
because it is,

If it makes shit so easy why havent we faced Giovanni even once?

Nimajneb

I haven't been watching recently, but it doesn't seem like democracy mode would be all that helpful. With the 30 - 60 second input delay and thousand of people spamming the chat, wouldn't it still be next to impossible to make any intentional progress? Or is it just the fact that less people are making actual control commands that makes it work better?

wmlk

If it makes shit so easy why havent we faced Giovanni even once?

Relatively easier. We got through the darn maze because of democracy.

Point is, it wasn't supposed to be "easy". It was supposed to be an anarchy, and it should be.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I haven't been watching recently, but it doesn't seem like democracy mode would be all that helpful. With the 30 - 60 second input delay and thousand of people spamming the chat, wouldn't it still be next to impossible to make any intentional progress? Or is it just the fact that less people are making actual control commands that makes it work better?

People learn to queue up the correct commands.

okayfrog

Banned
I think the concern is that there would no longer be any interest if it took long enough. That's what I meant by reasonable amount of time. Part of what makes this so awesome is just how many people are contributing simultaneously to a Pokemon game, which I thought was the point of the stream.

There'd still be people interested. There are still people interested in SaltyBets even though that hasn't been popular for half a year. I mean yeah, there wouldn't be as many, but they'd get it done. Then, when we're past a crap part, more people would come back.

from what i understand, democracy allows a vote for one input at a time

but then start9 exists

I don't think the Democracy system was introduced for longterm progress. It was more for short term precision that anything else.

It would take FOREVER to get through the game on just democracy. But it was needed at the time because we were in a puzzle that kept sending us to the beginning for taking a single bad step.

We were approaching almost 2 straight days in that puzzle alone.

because it is,

If that was hardly ever the point, the streamer would never have added democracy as option. This is ultimately his/her experiment and you outside people coming up with your own notions of how the run should progress are hilarious.

Seriously, set up your own experiment then. Leave it on anarchy 100% of the time if that's how you get your kicks.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
because we are using the anarchy system.

If we were doing this democracy only, and people didn't spam start9, then we would easily reach him.

And the hypothetical democracy system doesnt exist, so stop worrying. Everyone is worrying about how easy the game is now even though we have had the lift key for most of the day yet we cant even get to giovanni. This shit is harder than a pure system.

LOLDSFAN

One of my coworkers likes Pokemon. I asked him if he knew what Twitch was and he didn't.

I tried to explain what it was and the whole ordeal that was going on but he didn't seem interested. :<

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
because it is,

If pure anarchy was the point, then how did we get here? The streamer decided democracy was an approach worth having. The majority decided democracy was worth having. Who are you to say the point was otherwise?

Trey

There'd still be people interested. There are still people interested in SaltyBets even though that hasn't been popular for half a year. I mean yeah, there wouldn't be as many, but they'd get it done. Then, when we're past a crap part, more people would come back.

The democracy-anarchy voting setup takes this line of thinking and applies it to large populations of people. When massive chaos makes progress untenable, instead of leaving the chat and waiting for it to progress with less people (more order), you can install democracy (also order).

Democracy will only be installed when the vast majority of people want it, which is only at the point when anarchy is highly unproductive and frustrating. Anarchy is the default way of things, and since the implementation of democracy, the stream (under anarchy) has created more content than in the last 48 hours.

If pure anarchy was the point, then how did we get here? The streamer decided democracy was an approach worth having. The majority decided democracy was worth having. Who are you to say the point was otherwise?

Some random forum poster who doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of the streamer's experiment.

wmlk

One of my coworkers likes Pokemon. I asked him if he knew what Twitch was and he didn't.

I tried to explain what it was and the whole ordeal that was going on but he didn't seem interested. :<

It's only going to get bigger, especially if we stay true to what this originally was. Tell him the statistics two days from now (100K+, etc.).

kiguel182

If that was hardly ever the point, the streamer would never have added democracy as option. This is ultimately his/her experiment and you outside people coming up with your own notions of how the run should progress are hilarious.

Seriously, set up your own experiment then. Leave it on anarchy 100% of the time if that's how you get your kicks.

Of course the streamer wants more people watching, he is making money out of this. He wants an audience.

He can do whatever he wants with this, and I can say whatever I want about what he is doing. What's your point?

Top Bottom