• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two California elementary school students might have contracted leprosy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Reports-of-Leprosy-Infections-in-School-Rattle-Parents-392504181.html

Fears that two students in the Jurupa Valley Unified School District may be afflicted with leprosy prompted parents to keep their children out of school today, as the Riverside County Department of Public Health conducts an investigation.

"The diagnoses have not been confirmed. We're still waiting for the physicians to make a diagnosis,'' JVUSD District Superintendent Elliott Duchon told City News Service.

Duchon said he received word Friday that parents of the two students, whose identities were not disclosed, spoke with staff at Indian Hills Elementary School, saying that doctors had determined the youths were infected with leprosy.

"We disinfected two or three classrooms as a precaution. It probably wasn't necessary, but we did it anyway,'' the superintendent said.

The district distributed notices Friday alerting parents and guardians that two students had possibly been infected with leprosy.

"I personally wasn't concerned, especially after reading that this is not a highly contagious disease.'' Duchon said. "We have had several dozen calls from residents worried about what's going on, but I think I've had more calls from the press.''

The fall term at Indian Hills, located at Linares Avenue and Grand Valley Trail, began Aug.

According to the superintendent, district staff had not determined the number of children kept out of school today by their parents because of the health scare, but he acknowledged that "some pulled their kids out.'' Other children arrived at school wearing surgical-style masks.

Details on the conditions of the allegedly infected students, or where they're undergoing treatment, were not released.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
582396_1303648617351_416_180.jpg

Vyrance

I think like 25% of armadillos carry leprosy as well. Not sure if they have armadillos in California, but in southern US some people contract leprosy by being in contact with an armadillo

pa22word

I think like 25% of armadillos carry leprosy as well. Not sure if they have armadillos in California, but in southern US some people contract leprosy by being in contact with an armadillo

yep^

everyone from rural oklahoma has that one friend who got too drunk one night and tried playing footsie with an armadillo who went home and got scared out his mind after his mom chewed his ass about leprosy

in my case growing up in the backwoods, it was quite a few friends ;)

Certain movements that glorify not having any sort of hygiene nor health are emerging nowadays. You can expect a lot of old diseases coming back: bubonic plague, smallpox, measles, cholera, and so forth

Stronger than ever as they've built resistances... and the drugs we've got are going to be less effective.
And, they aren't as profitable... so they aren't developing new ones.

deadlast

http://www.hrsa.gov/hansensdisease/

I've been to the center in Louisiana and got to meet some lepers and go to the museum, which was pretty cool.
Hansen's Disease (Leprosy) Facts

Most (95%) of the human population is not susceptible to infection with M. leprae, the bacteria that causes Hansen's disease (leprosy).

Treatment with standard antibiotic drugs is very effective.

Patients become noninfectious after taking only a few doses of medication and need not be isolated from family and friends.

Diagnosis in the U.S. is often delayed because health care providers are unaware of Hansen's disease (leprosy) and its symptoms.

Early diagnosis and treatment prevents nerve involvement, the hallmark of Hansen's disease (leprosy), and the disability it causes.

Without nerve involvement, Hansen's disease (leprosy) is a minor skin disease.

175 new cases were reported in the U.S. in 2014 (the most recent year for which data are available).
Most (128 or 73%) of these new cases were reported in
Arkansas
California
Florida
Hawaii
Louisiana
New York
Texas

Monocle

Viral marketing for ben hur.
A chuckle was had.

http://www.hrsa.gov/hansensdisease/

I've been to the center in Louisiana and got to meet some lepers and go to the museum, which was pretty cool.
Hansen's Disease (Leprosy) Facts

Most (95%) of the human population is not susceptible to infection with M. leprae, the bacteria that causes Hansen's disease (leprosy).

Treatment with standard antibiotic drugs is very effective.

Patients become noninfectious after taking only a few doses of medication and need not be isolated from family and friends.

Diagnosis in the U.S. is often delayed because health care providers are unaware of Hansen's disease (leprosy) and its symptoms.

Early diagnosis and treatment prevents nerve involvement, the hallmark of Hansen's disease (leprosy), and the disability it causes.

Without nerve involvement, Hansen's disease (leprosy) is a minor skin disease.

175 new cases were reported in the U.S. in 2014 (the most recent year for which data are available).
Most (128 or 73%) of these new cases were reported in
Arkansas
California
Florida
Hawaii
Louisiana
New York
Texas
That was informative, thanks. Good to know this disease is
treatable.

deadlast

A chuckle was had.

That was informative, thanks. Good to know this disease is
treatable.

If it make you feel any better, the researchers have no clue how it is spread. I know that armadillos carry it in their mucus and it's no airborne.

LycanXIII

"We disinfected two or three classrooms as a precaution."

Superintendent doesn't sound to confident on how they handled it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom