• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Worlds II |OT| QA Tested, Jerry Approved

I have MASSIVE overscan on the bottom half of my screen. I can't even read the instructions for lockpicking; whos idea was it to put it in the bottom left corner? ARGH

maxxpower

Thagomizer said:
Hahaha the voice acting is horrible. Everyone is either incredible hammy or else sounds like they are just reading from the script.

Don't take the game too seriously and you will have a ton of fun.

It would help if I could read any of the fucking instructions and descriptions in the corner that are being cut off by overscan. I have no clue what the hell I'm doing because everything is cut off. This seriously sucks.

THe magic system has kind of a steep learning curve, but now that I actually know how to use it and am not just throwing random cards down, it is GLORIOUS. Stacking a summon onto a split missile and summoning an instant wolf pack is amazing.

Hyphen

voltron said:
Does anyone know where in the sweet jesus fuck I can find a PAL version of this game?

I actually had it ordered and paid for from Play Asia a few weeks ago (the Asian version that was region free), and then at the last minute I get an email saying its out of stock and my money refunded.

Its fucking impossible to find for some reason. Where was it developed? Germany? Isnt Germany a PAL region itself anyway?

Over on this side of the pond we can only get it from Amazon UK.

maxxpower

Thagomizer said:
THe magic system has kind of a steep learning curve, but now that I actually know how to use it and am not just throwing random cards down, it is GLORIOUS. Stacking a summon onto a split missile and summoning an instant wolf pack is amazing.

Yeah I always play as a warrior but today I was playing multiplayer adventure with some high level magicians and they were pulling out some crazy spells. Made me want to try being a magician for once.

Thagomizer said:

whats a split missile? two missile cards?

sounds amazing!

Effect

This game has started to annoy me in the same way I became annoyed with Divinity 2. I started off really enjoying that as well. There is just to much fighting. However unlike Divinity 2 the point of view I'm in makes it more frustrating. Then there is the situation of not being able to properly judge how strong enemies are. Though at least in Two Worlds 2 I haven't been put in a situation where I have to protect someone and they can't be hit but there is no way of stopping which causes a timer to be restarted no matter what even if you drop the difficulty all way the down. Ugh.

Outside of that I don't have any other issues with the game. Same when it came to Divinity 2. I like them both outside of them having to much fighting that at times simply can be completely unfair.Might go back to later. Maybe even if I can find some god mode or something just so I can see the rest of the story or pass certain parts.

cleveridea said:
whats a split missile? two missile cards?

sounds amazing!

On the right of the screen where you put there main cards, there is a modifier that can split missile spells into 3+ separate bolts. If you put that modifier on and stack a summon onto a regular missile, you'll fire three or more magic missles that do damage and spawn a pet on impact. If you do it right, you can instantly surround an enemy mob with summons. I beat the first boss by pretty much just spamming this attack; I tried going Fighter and Archer, because that felt a little cheap and unsatisfying, but he kept charging and two shotting me so I just went Mage and dropped a squad of rock golems on his ass.

I am just getting to this game, I really love it. My character is a mage I have a question.

I am Level 18 and I have not found the Earth Mastery or Necro Mastery skill books yet. Can you find all the books or do you have to buy some, was I supposed to buy these books.

To be honest I dumped all my skill points into Fire and Water and I guess because they are opposites or whatever I seem to be fine against all enemies.

Anerythristic said:
I am just getting to this game, I really love it. My character is a mage I have a question.

I am Level 18 and I have not found the Earth Mastery or Necro Mastery skill books yet. Can you find all the books or do you have to buy some, was I supposed to buy these books.

To be honest I dumped all my skill points into Fire and Water and I guess because they are opposites or whatever I seem to be fine against all enemies.

Don't worry, you'll find some eventually. A general rule of thumb in this game is if you can't find something, you'll be swimming in it 10 levels later.

I used to constantly scrounge for Fire cards, and now at level 27 I literally have 40 of the bastards, counting the three subdivisions.

Air is also the most fun school, in my opinion, mostly for anvil tornadoes. Sure, it's not particularly useful, restricts your movement, and makes the 360 chug like a mofo, but it's so darn cool.

owlbeak

GAF - I am itching to play a decent RPG until Skyrim. I've sunk countless hours into Oblivion, Morrowind, etc etc. I need something to play. Is this worth the ~$30 it costs? I've read reviews and user comments. Seems really hit or miss. I don't mind clunky controls if the game is just fun and open. Also I hear I can SAIL? :O Also, I'd probably be playing some sort of Ranger/Ranged Assassin-ish type class.

Buy or no buy?

dak1dsk1

Banned
birdcity said:
GAF - I am itching to play a decent RPG until Skyrim. I've sunk countless hours into Oblivion, Morrowind, etc etc. I need something to play. Is this worth the ~$30 it costs? I've read reviews and user comments. Seems really hit or miss. I don't mind clunky controls if the game is just fun and open. Also I hear I can SAIL? :O Also, I'd probably be playing some sort of Ranger/Ranged Assassin-ish type class.

Buy or no buy?
I think I finished the game (can't remember), but I never did find the sailable boat. The game didn't really reward random exploration well. If you like the genre, go for it. Else try Risen or Gothic4, which were both better games.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
birdcity said:

Buy or no buy?

Go for Divinty II first, but TWII is pretty good. If the main island was open and explorable it would have been one of my favorites. I finished it in about 35 hours with a bunch of guild quests left unfinished so there is about 40 hrs of gameplay there. Its a good game, not perfect and kinda glitchy, but fun.

owlbeak

I heard Risen and Divinity II were awful based on some reviews I read. Keep in mind I will be getting this on 360 as I don't feel like playing stuff on my PC until I upgrade later this year.

owlbeak

True about the reviews. Saw that Risen is only $15 and if you guys enjoyed it, I will put my faith in GAF. Wasn't aware that Two Worlds II wasn't really open world. :( Sounds like Risen is more up my alley.

GreekWolf

birdcity said:

Buy or no buy?
It's definitely worth $30.

The plot is about as cookie-cutter as you can get, but the large game-world and freedom of exploration more than make up for the lackluster story. Nice variety of enemies and wildlife to encounter on your travels. Lots of quests (both guild and random) to discover along the way. Magic system is unique and interesting, with the capacity to combine some amazing spell effects with a little creativity.

Graphics are absolutely godly on a capable PC, and even looks great on 360 (if you disable fog and motion blur with the console commands.

Overall, it's the most enjoyable Euro-RPG I've played since the Witcher, and certainly a cut above similar offerings like Risen and Gothic 4.

Wasn't aware that Two Worlds II wasn't really open world.
Compared to what? Oblivion? After the tutorial island, you can explore several continents. I created a few water walking potions and ran from Erimos to many different islands. As the main quest progresses, additional land-masses open up for you.

dak1dsk1

Banned
It WAS open world, or at least wanted to be. I just found too many unreachable areas for my taste. And when you finally did some serious exploration, all you would find was an empty island. Not even a single gold coin...

So I picked this up on impulse at Gamestop since it was like $27, and I have to say I'm quite enjoying it. It looks decent enough, and I really like the way they do progression in this game. There are enough dangerous places that you feel like you have something to work towards, and it's really rewarding once you get strong enough to go to those places.

Alchemy's interesting, the armor/weapon upgrade system is fairly neat (if overly linear for now), and magic looks neat but magic seems pretty hard to use at first due to not being able to get a cast off.

I'm only about 5 hours in, doing some side quests and such, but even if it goes to shit in the next few hours I still feel like I got my money's worth out of the game. Only thing that really bugs me about it thus far is the lack of skillbooks (and how much they cost when you find them).

owlbeak

Went to the store and ended up buying this instead of Risen. I'm about ~3 hours in and I have to say, I'm enjoying it. Graphically, the game is pretty impressive. I've encountered numerous little bugs so far that have made me chuckle (horse got its front half stuck in a rock :lol ), but it hasn't been anything that is making me angry. I've come into this game with expectations set pretty low, so I think that helps.

Voice acting is hilariously bad, but you can say the same about Oblivion. I just put subtitles on and read instead of listen, and just skip through most of the dialog. Controls are a bit wonky. I don't like that they use the left trigger for block, sneak, AND sprint. I always end up sprinting when I want to block. Seems like you have to let go of a button and re-press it for it to work sometimes. The only other thing that really bothers me, so far, is picking up loot off of corpses. I wish I could select what I want instead of automatically taking everything and then having to drop/break it down afterwards. But, overall, I think I'm going to be satisfied. I like how the game has specific class skills for assassins, thiefs, mages, etc. I'm currently working on being some sort of ranger/thief and am enjoying myself.

I will say one thing, the horse riding is awful!!!! I will be huffing it on foot. :)

leng jai

The jankiness is pretty jarring especially when you go outside and the graphics are drop dead gorgeous. Probably some of the worst voice acting I've heard in a long while.

owlbeak

Just killed a Vard or whatever and when he his body hit the ground it shot up into the sky so high it disappeared. I laughed and was looting some corpses when all the sudden that body fell back down to the ground and landed right in front of me. This was like ~2 minutes later. :lol

broham

birdcity said:
Just killed a Vard or whatever and when he his body hit the ground it shot up into the sky so high it disappeared. I laughed and was looting some corpses when all the sudden that body fell back down to the ground and landed right in front of me. This was like ~2 minutes later. :lol
It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Quikies83

Picked this game up yesterday without having ever touched the first one and I'm fighting what seems to be a impossible battle -- the battle to enjoy this game.
From the horrid controls to the horrendous voice-acting, I'm finding it hard to push on..
Playing on 360 and nearing 3 hours of gameplay.

The final boss of this game is a fucking nightmare.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I just die so goddamn fast.

Edit: disregard, I just beat it

Edit: holy shit at the song that plays over the credits :lol

Owzers

I liked Two Worlds , but my memory of the game is a little faded.

I hate Two Worlds 2, after the first five minutes the game went to complete crap story/mission wise and managed to get worse when you went to Athlos. 11 hours in and once again i find myself continuing to play a turd for the sake of "finishing" games i start.

Gvaz

Banned
birdcity said:
I heard Risen and Divinity II were awful based on some reviews I read. Keep in mind I will be getting this on 360 as I don't feel like playing stuff on my PC until I upgrade later this year.
Whatever person reviewed those games that you read were colossal retards.

ajf009

i'm still only about halfway through.. I just lost the crave to play it. it's not a bad game at all in my opinion, i just feel like im not in the mood. I want to finish it though just for the sake of finishing haha

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I've played this for 39Hrs from what steam says.
I'm level 28 and just arrived on new Island of New Ashos.

I'm feeling like the game should be ending soon but have no idea how much more of the game is left.If I zoom out really far on map it looks like I've only explored about 30% of the game. As gorgeous as the world is I don't think I can last 90hrs in this game. the quests are just too generic.

Anyone know how far along the main quest line I am after finishing tower on first big island?

Joe Molotov

bloodydrake said:
I've played this for 39Hrs from what steam says.
I'm level 28 and just arrived on new Island of New Ashos.

I'm feeling like the game should be ending soon but have no idea how much more of the game is left.If I zoom out really far on map it looks like I've only explored about 30% of the game. As gorgeous as the world is I don't think I can last 90hrs in this game. the quests are just too generic.

Anyone know how far along the main quest line I am after finishing tower on first big island?

I think you're like halfway through (the first chapter is the longest), but I have no idea how you spent 39 hours. I beat the game in less than that.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Joe Molotov said:
I think you're like halfway through (the first chapter is the longest), but I have no idea how you spent 39 hours. I beat the game in less than that.

Ya I pretty much run everywhere and i've done every side quest I could find..shrug I like taking my time.

panda21

this looks pretty good on PC but I can't find the proper graphics options, does it not have any?! I just want to turn on vsync

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
panda21 said:
this looks pretty good on PC but I can't find the proper graphics options, does it not have any?! I just want to turn on vsync
Pretty sure most settings can only be adjusted from main menu screen before you load a saved game as well theres more pages if you keep pushing down its not visually obvious that there are more settings

Minsc

Gold Member
subversus said:
Steam downloaded 4 gig update.

WHAT IS IT??

New patch v1.3 (careful of potential spoilers if you care):

- Summoned monsters AI has been improved,
- Hero will no longer accelerate unnaturally when sprinting downhill,
- Enemies will now properly navigate around campfires,
- Village shops will now properly generate Necromancer items,
- Pathfinding of Steria (New Ashos) improved, so she wil not get stuck,
- Trampling mobs in towns will be properly recognized as a crime by the guards,
- Casting incantations are now randomly played with reduced frequency,
- Falling damage reduction spell has been improved,
- Jump Strike will now perform even when activated during a series of regular attacks,
- Empty spells are no longer marked as invalid,
- Arming during sprint will not stop the character when he is running,
- Font display in the Crafting Menu improved,
- Boat position is now marked on the map (does not apply to Xbox),
- Enemy spells have been improved,
- Display with magically created physical objects (e.g.: stones) improved,
- Knocked down units will no longer be sucked in by their own Tornado effect,
- Improved torch flame,
- Footprints on sand were added,
- If you jump out of a sailing boat, the boat will no longer continue to float away,
- You can now turn on looting animation at all times (instead of only when you're overloaded) in the settings menu,
- Physic based spells will not deal damage to friendly units anymore,
- PvP arenas now cleared after one of the players is killed,
- Positive homing missile spell will not target enemy unit anymore,
- The creation of spells with no effect cards is not possible anymore,
- Shopkeeper are always able to generate new wares,
- Display of gold piles laying on the ground improved,
- Fixed a rare occasion when the gate would be locked but had a regular 'open' icon,
- Display glitch when drinking a potion while looting has been removed,
- The hero will abort looting if attacked,
- Removed the rare occasion when the boat could damage hero upon disembarking,
- Mana and Health regeneration potions have been changed (their strength has been greatly reduced),
- A glitch was removed which caused the hero to hung occasionally when fighting with two-handed sword,
- Improved the 'dismantle' option on pads to reduce the possibility of accidental destruction of items,
- Break lock chance (using weapon) has been reduced. If the weapon breaks you receive its equipment parts,
- Waves properly rendered for DX10 ATI,
- When using Mana Shield, mana regenerates 3 times slower,
- Improved entering of interiors while having many summoned units with you,
- Display of comparing bow statistics improved,
- The formula for spell damage has been changed - spells will do less damage on higher Willpower levels,
- Improved Missile+Trap+Missile spell,
- Ricochet card cannot cause a missile to home in on subsequent targets anymore -although the homing card was not used or not applicable,
- Several terrain issues improved,
- Improved enemy pathfinding,
- Improved enemy combat AI,
- Improved several monster animations,
- Annihiated a rare species of Ants which were occasionally dealing triple damage,
- Some slowdowns after entering areas removed,
- Summoned monsters have been weakened in Duel and Death Match modes (multiplayer),
- It is now possible to customize safe area size,
- Atmosphere switching smoothened when changing locations,
- Player level (displayed on other players) will now be properly updated in multiplayer,
- New dagger stats will now be properly compared with equipped dagger instead of the weapon,
- PC - Added support for 3D - there are two available modes. Here is a detailed description of what you need to do on PC depending on your hardware and selected mode:
- "vendor specific stereoscopic" mode:
- NVIDIA:
- you must install NVIDIA 3dTVPlay (14 day free trial, after that you have to pay for it), navigate to NVIDIA control panel and enable 3d. You can do this only when:
1) your drivers are 280.xx or never,
2) you have only one 3d tv connected to your computer. If you have both a 3d tv and a monitor connected the 3d cannot be turned on. If you have more than one graphics card and your SLI is turned OFF, the 3d tv can be connected only to the first of them - otherwise it won't work. Again, if you have a monitor connected to the other card it won't work.
- 3D works on all 8600 and up NVIDIA cards,
- your 3d tv must be listed on the NVIDIA website - it won't work on other models,
- ATI:
- your drivers must be 11.3 or never,
- it works with any 3d tv,
- the tv can be connected in any way you like it but it must be a HDMI or DVI-2-HDMI connection,
- you can connect other monitors to your machine,
- if you have two graphics cards you have to disable the crossfire - the 3D won't work with that,
- "framepacked stereo " mode:
- choose the native tv resolution (usually 1920x1080),
- press the 3D button on your remote control and select the "top-bottom frame packed mode" (the name may vary depending on your tv model),
- play using the pad or software cursor - hardware mouse cursor will not work,
- works with any 3D tv, with any additional monitors connected whatever you like, SLI or no SLI, crossfire or no crossfire.

koji

Minsc said:
New patch v1.3 (careful of potential spoilers if you care):

Hmm that sounds like a juicy patch. Still have to get round to actually playing TW2, dabbled around a bit but never really started.

ajf009

I'm having a bit of trouble with one of the main quests, and I was wondering if anyone here knew how to fix my problem,
I'm in Tir Geal, trying to get the village chronicle from out of the inn, but every time I try to lock pick the door, the drunk guy in the inn stands up and it looks like he's supposed to be talking, but there's no sound, and it stops me from unlocking the door. No matter what I do.

I've also given Nalia her spell and the aniseed she needs, but no new quests have come up from that.. so now the only quest I have to do is The Chronicle, which like is said, isn't working..

Help please??

Well I ended up buying it. Seems pretty cool so far, and seems like there's a big focus on story. There's a hell of a lot of cutscenes and dialog.

My only gripe so far is that the overall sound is super quiet. Everything's at max but I still have to crank the speakers way up just to get normal levels. Hate it when that happens.

Anyway, sailing is back. It's just so awesome catching the wind on the ocean and discover new islands. I could play a whole game like that.

Here's a little bit of sailing: http://youtu.be/S4cBz5nC2Fc

Top Bottom