• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TYRANNY |OT| Sometimes, Evil Wins [Tiers For Fears]

Bluth54

For skills like Subterfuge does dialog choices involving them check the score of your main character or the character in your party with the higher score?

jonjonaug

Damn, really? Both sounded super interesting to me.

The game has a lot going on to encourage replays. You can't experience all areas in one playthrough, there's a ton of stuff affected by your "Conquest" setup and which side you choose to ally yourself with, there's six companions but only room in your party for three, and a lot of quests have multiple outcomes to choose from. It reminds me a lot of Alpha Protocol, where the game seems pretty simple on a first playthrough but the more you listen to other players' stories and play the game yourself the more you realize just how much is going on in the background and how much the game accounts for player choice.

Holy shit. Just played a game of
Kill, Marry, Fuck
with the entire party.

That was pretty hilarious.

Lantry's
"I'm old enough to be all of your dads!"
was great.

Bebpo

Banned
One thing that I'm not a big fan of in Tyranny is this whole thing where you talk to a character and they have an encyclopedia worth of questions and answers you can go through aka. info dump. This happens with a lot of NPCs and when talking to your party members. The more you go through it the more you see there is TONS of world background, lore and backstory and it's like they made enough story for a 100 hour epic rpg and then they found out they could only make a 20ish hour rpg so they packed all the info into these optional character encyclopedias everywhere you go. While I appreciate the information, it got pretty boring going through all this stuff with so many characters so after a while I was definitely skimming or avoiding asking a lot of questions that I didn't care about and focused more on taking in the world through exploring it. I just wish some of that really dense information could've been filtered out into the game questlines and events more.

The game has a lot going on to encourage replays. You can't experience all areas in one playthrough, there's a ton of stuff affected by your "Conquest" setup and which side you choose to ally yourself with, there's six companions but only room in your party for three, and a lot of quests have multiple outcomes to choose from. It reminds me a lot of Alpha Protocol, where the game seems pretty simple on a first playthrough but the more you listen to other players' stories and play the game yourself the more you realize just how much is going on in the background and how much the game accounts for player choice.

Hmmm, didn't realize this. Figured you visited all of them, just different events would happen depending on the side you were aligned with.

I really liked the voiced party member area specific stuff and the party banter is cool too. I think I wish they found a way to better incorporate the party members and their dialogues and personalities as I feel like a lot of it is hidden on the "talk to party member" command.

Kainazzo

Finished a solo anarchist playthrough last night, thank goodness for storymode difficulty. Though the ending is sudden, it seems like there could be an "Act 4" expansion that treats the base game like a second round of Conquest.

Though if said expansion had you potentially killing Kyros, it'd have to zip you over to the capital pretty fast, otherwise just traveling to her could be a game in itself. I'm really hoping there's something down the line, this grabbed me much more than Pillars did.

Looking forward to meeting the companions on the next playthrough, as I intentionally ignored/angered them when I could. At a certain point during Act II, almost all of them disappeared from my world, though
Siren and Kills-in-Shadow
were always available. Unfortunately, the only companion I could kill with my own hands was
Eb
. You can't finish off
Kills-in-Shadow
Lantry
seems to die but is mentioned in the epilogue, and somehow
Siren
never has anything bad happen to them.

Which is strange, because
she's an Archon. Aren't I supposed to be able to kill all of them?

As sick as it might sound, I've always wondered why you can't torture the "bad guys" in RPGs. I was happy they at least let you toy with them for a while. It would've been nice to go further, and give you the option to imprison Ashe, take away his pride, drive him insane, and leave him a blithering husk of a man begging for death, but again, there's hope for an expansion!

Really though, after exploring all of the worst things I could do in the game, I'm looking forward to being nice(r) next time. Hopefully I can get those guys in Vendrien's Well to chill out, they just could not get over the "killing their queen" thing.

I didn't get far yet, but from what I've seen so far, it looks like they just replaced the standard "good or evil" choices with "choose the scarlet chorus side and take prisoners or go with the disfavored and kill everyone".
It's still a black and white choice which is not what we were promised.
I really hope it changes as the game continues

Bebpo

Banned
I didn't get far yet, but from what I've seen so far, it looks like they just replaced the standard "good or evil" choices with "choose the scarlet chorus side and take prisoners or go with the disfavored and kill everyone".

Act I is like that and is the intro
Act II is the main game and it's much less binary with like 6 factions you can effect within that larger one or the other choice.

Sanctuary

Lantry is the best.

I read elsewhere that Lantry is "the whiniest character I've ever seen", and all I could think was "Huh? He's one of the best written and voice acted characters I've seen in a very long time". In fact, I think almost all of the party members are extremely well written and voice acted, but he's the best.

Is it possible to do a no combat run? I've rolled a Two Handed Warrior first but some options have allowed me to avoid encounters completely, mainly using Athletics to pummel people.

aravuus

I read elsewhere that Lantry is "the whiniest character I've ever seen" [...]

Wat

That doesn't even make any sense lol. I get not liking the characters, but whiny is just blatantly untrue. Lantry is fantastic. All of the companions have been great from what I've seen.

Moff

hmm, at the spire at leviathans crossing

I was supposed to help the leader with the bane to open the spire but I solved the riddle there myself without doing anything about the bane, I didnd't even know where to go, did I miss something?

JC Sera

I read elsewhere that Lantry is "the whiniest character I've ever seen", and all I could think was "Huh? He's one of the best written and voice acted characters I've seen in a very long time". In fact, I think almost all of the party members are extremely well written and voice acted, but he's the best.
While Lantry is amazing the MVP for me is Killer-in-shadows
I went in thinking I wasnt going to like and then I found my self enjoying her dialogue the most
shes just so wonderfully well written, both comedic and serious
it must have not been an easy roll for the actress with all the grunting and snorting
btw who would you guys rut, mate, kill?

itxaka

Defeatist
Does steam cloud works for people? I'm playing between Linux and windows but my savegames are not synced between systems. I can see that steam cloud says that I'm using 6mb so something is saved there.

Anyone?

Menome

I was supposed to help the leader with the bane to open the spire but I solved the riddle there myself without doing anything about the bane, I didnd't even know where to go, did I miss something?

Yes. Do your 'main' quest and it unlocks the way to the final rune, as well as ensuring you don't miss a good chunk of content.

Moff

Yes. Do your 'main' quest and it unlocks the way to the final rune, as well as ensuring you don't miss a good chunk of content.

I think my mistake was that I chose to do the burning library first, well I am too far now, let's see where this takes me

Sanctuary

Probably too late for most in this thread, but just keep it in mind if you decide to replay; Spectral Blur is fucking godlike. I wish I had known about how easy it was to get at the start of the game, but I didn't realize I could even use it until near Act 3. It's extremely easy to have every person in your group using it too, but especially your tank. Early struggles on higher than Normal difficulty against physical attacks vanish.

FWIW, the people you're sending to the Chorus might be better off dead :p

On the whole, the Disfavored are actually probably closer to "good" guys.

Menome

Probably too late for most in this thread, but just keep it in mind if you decide to replay; Spectral Blur is fucking godlike. I wish I had known about how easy it was to get at the start of the game, but I didn't realize I could even use it until near Act 3. It's extremely easy to have every person in your group using it too, but especially your tank. Early struggles on higher than Normal difficulty against physical attacks vanish.

Oh god, yes. My main character who has developed into an assassin-esque role rarely dips below 75% health thanks to this.

Okay, I think I figured out how to get into Lethian's Crossing without slaughtering a bunch of dudes, but I'd have to load a waaaaay earlier save, so fuck that. I'll power up my Athletics so I can clear the intimidate prompt in the Crossing itself, then come back and slaughter my way through the bridge guards.

The leader is apparently in the Voice's pocket, so if you didn't either side with the Chorus or pick the Lethian's Crossing route in Conquest, you can't get him to let you in. So that's a problem. However, if Verse is in your party the first time you talk to the guard, she'll beat the ever living shit out of him and you can proceed. My problem is that I'd left her behind for Eb when I first went to Ironhaul Trail, and while Berik can and will backhand the dude, that won't get him to let you pass. At this point I'd have to roll back like 3-4 hours of progress to get there, so f that noise.

How about 90%? Im guessing boss battles aren't avoidable but a lot of smaller fights are?

Tbh, it's closer to 20%. You can avoid a fair number of bigger fights, but most of the smaller ones are baked into the quests.

bati

I think I'm enjoying javelins a little too much. It's getting to the point where I don't think I'll be able to reroll to anything else.

Offtopic - are there any other rpgs with good throwing spear (or even regular spear) combat? I've read that Age of Decadence (haven't played yet) has a pretty good implementation and there are some spear weapons (not thrown) in Pillars of Eternity and Souls series but other than that I'm drawing a blank.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I think I'm enjoying javelins a little too much. It's getting to the point where I don't think I'll be able to reroll to anything else.

Offtopic - are there any other rpgs with good throwing spear (or even regular spear) combat? I've read that Age of Decadence (haven't played yet) has a pretty good implementation and there are some spear weapons (not thrown) in Pillars of Eternity and Souls series but other than that I'm drawing a blank.

I'm not very far into the game at all yet but yeah I'm very glad there is actual design support for thrown weapons, both in the form of gear and talent choices. It's fun from an RP perspective, as I feel like most people wouldn't expect one of Tunon's chosen to throw a god damn spear through their heart.

I noticed there is a named javelin for sale at the Chorus camp, so that's my current goal once I have enough money.

Think I'm gonna throw out Verse, dies way too often. Larik (healer) and Barik (tank) are the other members besides my char (offensive mage). Should I put in Kills-In-Shadow or Eb?

Sanctuary

Think I'm gonna throw out Verse, dies way too often. Larik (healer) and Barik (tank) are the other members besides my char (offensive mage). Should I put in Kills-In-Shadow or Eb?

I used PC, Barik, Eb and Lantry on my first playthrough, but now I'm keeping Verse in, instead of Eb. Just need to spec Verse for melee/survivability as well as use Spectral Blur and she's really damn good. The game isn't really designed for a three offensive caster setup (I mean, it "works", but it's fucking slow), and if you use the AI at all, Eb does a bunch of really inefficient things.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
what's up with companions complaining about weak/useless weapons? can you repair them somehow?

It just means that their target has high damage reduction against the type of damage you are doing (pierce/slash etc)

Sanctuary

Finished the game once, and on my second playthrough. I wish that I knew what the stats actually fucking did though.

Might's description seems entirely misleading, and it seems to only really affect melee weapons.

I don't have any idea how Finesse actually works with spells. I've saved on a level up before an encounter, targeted with disabling spells, then added a point to Finesse to see if the hit chance goes up, and it doesn't. It also doesn't seem to have any impact on ranged damage, such as a bow or throwing weapon. Might doesn't either.

Resolve is supposed to affect "Afflictions" (The encyclopedia description reads as though it's also counting buffs, unless it's just beneficial bonuses to the group from a spell placed on an enemy) duration, but the durations never change. Unless it's just a really screwed up UI and tooltip for these abilites, and they are benefiting, but it's not being reflected in the UI.

Anoregon

That's weird. Might effected damage across the board in Pillars, and the tooltip in Tyranny implies it should at least be effective all weapon-based attacks, including ranged. Maybe a bug?

Finished the game once, and on my second playthrough. I wish that I knew what the stats actually fucking did though.

Might's description seems entirely misleading, and it seems to only really affect melee weapons.

I don't have any idea how Finesse actually works with spells. I've saved on a level up before an encounter, targeted with disabling spells, then added a point to Finesse to see if the hit chance goes up, and it doesn't. It also doesn't seem to have any impact on ranged damage, such as a bow or throwing weapon. Might doesn't either.

Resolve is supposed to affect "Afflictions" (The encyclopedia description reads as though it's also counting buffs, unless it's just beneficial bonuses to the group from a spell placed on an enemy) duration, but the durations never change. Unless it's just a really screwed up UI and tooltip for these abilites, and they are benefiting, but it's not being reflected in the UI.
Bonuses don't increase with every single attribute point invested. For example your bonus damage from might only goes up after several increases in the attribute. It's probably a rounding thing though.

So if you check the tooltip over your accuracy number on the character sheet it doesn't show your specific Finesse bonus?

mbpm1

Combat feels better now that my character is basically a second tank. I still don't really know in most cases what my effects are doing except when they make people prone/dazed but it feels good to press all the buttons and not drop below 75%.

Bebpo

Banned

I think this part is bugged. it's the only part in the whole game that doesn't flow right if you've made certain choices. Hope they fix this.

Moff

I think this part is bugged. it's the only part in the whole game that doesn't flow right if you've made certain choices. Hope they fix this.

yes it was definitely a bug, I was able to enter an area that is suddenly closed later and requires a key. but it didn't really made me miss any content, I could finish the quest completely later,

Without any spoilers, can someone explain what the major reputation locks for loyalty/fear for companions are? Are they special events you have to find, a story milestone, or just accumulating enough loyalty?

Tenrius

Does steam cloud works for people? I'm playing between Linux and windows but my savegames are not synced between systems. I can see that steam cloud says that I'm using 6mb so something is saved there.

Anyone?

I think the game itself just doesn't support cross-save. Just tried with my Mac and my PC savegames aren't available. Same story with Civilization V and probably other games – it's not supported by default.

Alright I checked out a few things over lunch:

It effects ranged as well. See below. Lantry has a -1 penalty to damage due to a low Might score:

WFLOy2W.jpg

I don't have any idea how Finesse actually works with spells. I've saved on a level up before an encounter, targeted with disabling spells, then added a point to Finesse to see if the hit chance goes up, and it doesn't.

Magic accuracy is a combination of the the accuracy of the attack (calculated based on your skill in the disciplilne and your Lore stat) with a bonus accuracy equal to 1/2 of your Magic Staff skill. The Magic Staff skill is where Finesse comes in.

In the example below Lantry's Magic Staff skill is 46 so he gets a bonus of 23 Accuracy to the attack. Given that it takes 2 points of Finesse to increase the Staff score you will only see an accuracy increase in Magic for every 4 points invested in Finesse. Very diminishing returns but it is accurate.

This one either seems bugged or the spell description is incorrect. Tried putting a 45s buff using Eb (Resolve 10) and Lantry (Resolve 18) and both indicated 45s.

These are all good examples of how confusing this system often is. Josh Sawyer admirably sought out to solve the "problems" of D&D but in the attempt, ended up with something a good deal more obscure, hard to learn, and less fun to play.

To be fair, those examples all sound like either bugs, or places where the system in Tyranny diverged from the system in PoE. I don't think there's any question that the PoE system was easy to understand on a mechanical level. It was very explicit and very consistent.

Top Bottom