• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.N. Says 50 Were Killed in Strikes on Four Syria Hospitals

Status
Not open for further replies.
BEIRUT, Lebanon — Airstrikes hit four hospitals in rebel-held northern Syria on Monday, including child and maternity facilities, international aid officials and witnesses reported. The United Nations said at least 50 people were killed, including children.

It was unclear who was responsible for the attacks, which came days before international powers have called for a “cessation of hostilities” in the five-year Syria war. Russian and Syrian aircraft operate in the areas where the hospitals were struck.

Two of the four hospitals were supported by Unicef. Anthony Lake, Unicef’s executive director, said in a statement, “Apart from compelling considerations of diplomacy and obligations under international humanitarian law, let us remember that these victims are children.”

Farhan Haq, a spokesman for the United Nations in New York, told reporters at midday that the death toll was 50. It remains unclear how many of the casualties were children.

Doctors Without Borders, the international medical charity, said the airstrikes destroyed one of the hospitals it supports, killing at least seven, wounding eight and leaving an unknown number of patients buried in rubble.

The hospital, in the town of Maarat al-Noaman, in insurgent-held Idlib Province, was hit by four missiles in two sets of attacks within a few minutes of each other, the charity said, citing reports by hospital staff members.

The charity added that about 15 other buildings had been struck in residential areas nearby.

It was the second time in a week that a hospital working with the charity was hit. The charity said an affiliated hospital was bombed in Dara’a Province in southern Syria on Feb. 9.

“This appears to be a deliberate attack on a health structure, and we condemn this attack in the strongest possible terms,” Massimiliano Rebaudengo, the Doctors Without Borders head of mission, said about Monday’s strike on its affiliate. Deliberate attacks on medical facilities are forbidden under international law.

The hospital had 30 beds, 54 staff members, two operating rooms, clinics and an emergency room, and its destruction leaves 40,000 people without medical care, the charity said.

(...)

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/16/w...spital-airstrike-doctors-without-borders.html (video at the source)

Syria: At least seven killed and eight missing in another MSF-supported hospital attack in Idlib province | Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) International

Videos of some of the strikes:
Aleppo
(clearly cluster bombs which Russia continues to lie about not using)

Also Aleppo if I'm correct

Azaz (at the border with Turkey)

Idlib (a whole playlist)

And since we're talking about Russia (and at least in Aleppo we are 100% talking about them since the first video shows a Su-34 which is not operated by the Assad regime), let's wait for their classic overture: deny & lie.
A week ago when they bombed Aleppo, RT straight up invented news about a U.S. strike on the city: How the Russian MoD Invented a US Bombing of Aleppo - bellingcat (this is exactly why RT is banned as a source on gaf)

Wonder if they up their collateral damage count. As of Jan. 26th they were at pretty much zero civilian casualties:

No proof Russian air strikes in Syria killed civilians: Lavrov | Reuters

And as yesterday they were still pretty much at zero:

Under fire for Syria bombings, Russia denies hitting civilians - Yahoo News

Am stunned at how crazy the world is right now. American elections are nuts. Middle East is fucked. China melting financially along with the rest of Asia. Brazil and south Americas skint. Europe in crisis, brexit and all that may mean. Russia fanning the flames.

Never in my life have things been so fucked. The world is getting angrier!

I was about to bump this thread because I was right in assuming that Russia would be lying about it:

Russian ministry of defense:

Now:
YFXOgfg.png

Back in November, 2015:
Av9IgIq.png

It's all a Turkish conspiracy!
F6KkVGZ.png

Full press release if anyone wants to read it: http://eng.syria.mil.ru/en/index/syria/news/more.htm?id=12078613@egNews

But maybe it's a French conspiracy after all?!

@NabilAbiSaab
UN Syrian ambassador Jaafari: #DoctorsWithoutBorders is a branch for French intelligent in #Syria #France

Nah, it's the Americans after all:
Russia rejects Syria war crimes claim over hospital attacks
The Syrian ambassador to Moscow, Riad Haddad, previously said the US was to blame, a claim the Pentagon dismissed as "patently false".

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Am stunned at how crazy the world is right now. American elections are nuts. Middle East is fucked. China melting financially along with the rest of Asia. Brazil and south Americas skint. Europe in crisis, brexit and all that may mean. Russia fanning the flames.

Faction wars

Ovid

Don't forget oil prices.

Russia has a long track record of this, if I were Doctors Without Borders I would be pulling out of every place where Russia operates. To do otherwise is to expose your volunteers to being bombed.

The US just did this not that long ago.

Thing is they admitted their mistake, granted that is no excuse.

Correct.

Also Russia's bombing of civilian structures is systematic and deliberate:

Russia bombs Syrian city with no possible military targets, kill 17. - NeoGAF

Russia Bombs Aid Convoy Amid Airspace Dispute, Turkey Says - NeoGAF

Russia bombs three medical facilities in two days in Syria. - NeoGAF

Russia reportedly strikes another rebel + civilian front in Idlib Market bombing - NeoGAF

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

One of the purposes is to push refugees to Europe (this is like in every Syria article in German these days). The purpose behind this, on the other hand, is to split Europe further and stop sanctions over Crimea annexation and their war in Ukraine. The plan is blatantly obvious and the German media is full of it.

Pomerlaw

What a terrible conflict with no end in sight.

Will this end up in WW3? I'm starting to think it may be a possibility. Seems like no one is willing to back off.

GavinGT

Banned

Eh, things were way more fucked in the 60s.

Will this end up in WW3? I'm starting to think it may be a possibility. Seems like no one is willing to back off.

Rebels lost. However, most of them are fanatics who would rather die than surrender. Basically they will stop fighting when government stops fighting and Assad is removed. Nobody is going to start a WW3 over rebels, if something happened in Syria it would have to be between Russia and either Turkey or Saudi Arabia.

Three Syrian rebel groups have expressed doubts to the BBC over the cessation of hostilities agreement:

A spokesman for the Free Syrian Army said: "We remain sceptical all the time about the Russians."

The conservative Ahrar al-Sham group said that it would not stop fighting until government shelling stopped, safe border crossings were opened for civilians, prisoners released and besieged areas relieved

Faylaq al-Sham - part of a coalition of seven different groups operating in the north - said that it would not relinquish its weapons until President Assad was removed

Jag

It's not a matter of backing off. It's how fucking batshit insane Russia is. You can't apply logic and compassion to the Russian war machine. Hell, 60-70+ years ago Russia killed somewhere between 20-40 million of its own people.

Lead

Banned
Syria is such a goddamn mess. So many factions and everybody say someone else did something.

It's impossible to confirm any information coming out of that country. While I'd love to believe that Russia and Assad are always to blame, I just can't take that at face value anymore in this conflict.

Reprehensible

But the US has done it too
Exactly, nobody is innocent of war crimes in that region.

reckless

The whataboutism is disgusting. Russia has been deliberately bombing hospitals, rescue workers and civilians in general.

Just this year
Airstrikes similar to those on Monday have happened before. US officials say Russian and regime forces destroyed both of Aleppo’s main hospitals last week. In total, there have been 14 known attacks on medical facilities this year alone.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/16/refugees-are-becoming-russias-weapon-of-choice-in-syria

And last year just up to October.
BEIRUT — At least seven hospitals or medical facilities in Syria have been hit by airstrikes since Russia entered the civil war there, killing at least four people, according to an international human rights group and Syrian relief workers.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/23/w...ites-7-attacks-on-hospitals-across-syria.html

Syria is such a goddamn mess. So many factions and everybody say someone else did something.

It's impossible to confirm any information coming out of that country. While I'd love to believe that Russia and Assad are always to blame, I just can't take that at face value anymore in this conflict.

Then the Russian propaganda has worked on you, congrats.

- The Western coalition does not attack Aleppo and has no reason to do so.
- Russian Su-34 in that first video.
- In pretty much every bombing run you'll see aftermath videos of remains of Russian cluster bombs (unexploded sub munition), cruise missiles, artillery rockets.

Just like with civilian casualties (again: They claim to still be AT ZERO CIVILIAN CASUALTIES IN SYRIA), they also deny using cluster bombs and even free fall, dumb bombs while releasing videos like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOSJ1u14FiQ
(thrown from near-stratosphere those bombs are sure as fuck guaranteed to hit the target)

Look at one of their article about it:

It's like they're smearing their lies into (reasonable) people's faces. But sure enough their useful idiots everywhere will stick to their story.

Reprehensible

But the US has done it too

No one gives a fuck (in this context & the way you brought that into play).
Do you also come into "US bombed stuff" threads going: yo, but did you hear about Russia?
Probably not, huh?
Did anyone on gaf ever fucking do that??

Props for using old Soviet tactics though:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_you_are_lynching_Negroes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom