• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Brings Ape Escape: Pumped & Primed Stateside

SAN FRANCISCO, CA – August 10, 2004 – Ready? Set? Party! Ubisoft, one of the world’s largest video game publishers, today announced Ape Escape: Pumped & Primed™ for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system to be released in North America. In a brand-new twist to the series, Ape Escape: Pumped & Primed sets players on a fast-paced sports marathon across two action-packed game modes. A tournament-style game, Ape Escape: Pumped & Primed stars everyone’s favorite heroes, Spike and Natalie, and features an all-star character line-up from the original Ape Escape™ games. Ape Escape: Pumped & Primed is slated to ship in October 2004.

“Ape Escape: Pumped & Primed is an irreverent, sports-oriented fighting game that continues the fun and excitement of the popular Ape Escape series,” said James Regan, Director of Business Development for Ubisoft. “Following the success of Ape Escape™ 2, Ape Escape: Pumped & Primed is sure to continue the legacy and entertainment of those crazy simians!”

About the Game

Original characters of the Ape Escape series – Spike, Natalie, Casi, Jake and the Professor – have decided to enter the High Tech Tournament! Set in a computer-generated world, odd things start happening when mysterious monkeys start to appear, along with archenemy Specter from Ape Escape 2. Trapped in the world by a new villain, our heroes must fight for their survival. Game features include:

Two Game Modes: Play with up to two players in Story mode, consisting of 44 competing levels and eight boss battles, or Versus mode with 21 pre-made tournaments for up to four players. Additionally, players can create their own tournaments from the 28 stages in story mode.
A Mix of Classic and New Characters from Ape Escape: Play original characters such as Natalie, Spike, the Professor or Jake. New characters include Pipotron, Helga and a mysterious new boss.
Beat the Competition with a Wide Selection of Gadgets: Each character will have their own set of unique gadgets, including the Stunclub, Dragonfly, Slingshot, RC Car, Dash Hoop and WaterMech.
More than 400 Unlockable Items: Special gadgets, clothes, fan emails, special summon abilities and movies.

© 2004 Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved. “Ape Escape” and related marks are trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. "PlayStation" and the "PS" Family logo are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Ubisoft and the Ubisoft logo are trademarks of Ubisoft Entertainment in the U.S. and/or other countries. All rights reserved.

There's screens, but I can't link them. Press only. I'm sure someone will upload them soon.

Sony basically releases 1 game here and if it's not succesful they'll give up on it. They atleast allow other developers to release them so you still have a chance to get them.

Here's the screen guys. Enjoy.

Ape1.jpg

Ape2.jpg

Ape3.jpg

Ape4.jpg

BuddyC

Anyone have impressions of the import? I have a really negative attitude about this one, and I don't know why...especially since I love my Ape Escape games.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
BuddyChrist83 said:
Anyone have impressions of the import? I have a really negative attitude about this one, and I don't know why...especially since I love my Ape Escape games.

I have a similar feeling. I don't believe it fared well at all in Famitsu, actually.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Is this an EyeToy Ape Escape game?

Does SCEA have no faith in their games other than FPSes or something?
Good question. They've been pretty bad with releaseing games from SCEE and SCEJ this gen. I'll name just couple of mishaps:

- ICO box art, and not delivering the 'full' version of the game like released in Europe, Japan and everywhere else.
- Not releasing Ape Escape 2
- Not releasing Wipeout Fusion
- Not releasing Ghosthunter
- Not releasing this new Ape Escape

On the other hand, if you think how poor sales those games accomplished, you can see where they're coming from. They had a lot of sales bombs themselves (Frequency, Apmplitude, Mark of Kri, Sly Cooper, just to name a few, and yet greenlighted a sequel to each of them) so they probably think they don't need other studios' bombs. Also, on a plus side, they allow others to release these games so it's not like we lose anything.

Marconelly said:

Good question. They've been pretty bad with releaseing games from SCEE and SCEJ this gen. I'll name just couple of mishaps:

- ICO box art, and not delivering the 'full' version of the game like released in Europe, Japan and everywhere else.
- Not releasing Ape Escape 2
- Not releasing Wipeout Fusion
- Not releasing Ghosthunter
- Not releasing this new Ape Escape

On the other hand, if you think how poor sales those games accomplished, you can see where they're coming from. They had a lot of sales bombs themselves (Frequency, Apmplitude, Mark of Kri, Sly Cooper, just to name a few, and yet greenlighted a sequel to each of them) so they probably think they don't need other studios' bombs. Also, on a plus side, they allow others to release these games so it's not like we lose anything.

Add in:

- Not releasing WRC
- Not releasing WRC2
- Not releasing WRC3
- Not releasing Destruction Derby:Arenas
- Not releasing Dropship
- Not releasing Hardware: Online Arena
- Not releasing GT: Prologue

BuddyC

Marconelly said:
No, this is the Olympic-esque one. I'd personally rather see the EyeToy game, but hey, beggars can't be choosers. Or something.
Marconelly said:
Amplitude got a sequel? *sigh* Oh, I can wish.

Also, not releasing Destruction Derby: Arenas was one of the smarter things Sony did in the past year.

wazoo

sonycowboy said:
Add in:

- Not releasing WRC
- Not releasing WRC2
- Not releasing WRC3
- Not releasing Destruction Derby:Arenas
- Not releasing Dropship
- Not releasing Hardware: Online Arena
- Not releasing GT: Prologue

You see the gimmick. SCEA does not release SCEE software. They hate each other for whatever obscure reasons. SCEE does publish SCEA software, but often they are delayed for many months just to be sure of missing Christmas season in Europe.

jarrod

Banned
Marconelly said:
On the other hand, if you think how poor sales those games accomplished, you can see where they're coming from.
Well if any of those games were given the year long heavy advertising campaign something like Jak & Daxter enjoyed, I think sales would've been a bit better. ;)

Personally I'd say SCEA's buy far the worst 1st party publisher when it comes to localizing their own foreign stuff. I mean look at all the stuff they've passed so far this generation (which others brought over)...

PlayStation 2
-Ape Escape 2 (UbiSoft)
-Ape Escape: Pumped & Primed (UbiSoft)
-Bombastic (Capcom)
-Destruction Derby Arenas (GOD)
-Dog's Life (HIP)
-Dropship: United Peace Force (BAM!)
-Dual Hearts (Atlus)
-Ghosthunter (Namco)
-Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (Bandai)
-Legaia 2: Duel Saga (Eidos)
-LifeLine (Konami)
-Mad Maestro! (Eidos)
-Mister Mosquito (Eidos)
-Sky Gunner (Atlus)
-Sky Odyssey (Activision)
-Tsugunai: Atonement (Atlus)
-WildARMs Alter Code: F (Agetec)
-Wipeout Fusion (BAM!)

...compare that to Nintendo or Microsoft...

GameBoy Advance
-Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis (Atlus)

GameCube
-Cubivore: Survival of the Fittest (Atlus)

XBox
-Dinosaur Hunting (Metro3D)
-Maximum Chase (Majesco)
-Nightcaster II: Equinox (Jaleco)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Amplitude got a sequel? *sigh* Oh, I can wish
Well, Amplitude is a sequel to Frequency, and they both bombed horribly.

You see the gimmick. SCEA does not release SCEE software. They hate each other for whatever obscure reasons.
Not really true. Getaway has gotten a lot of push by SCEA, and so far Killzone seems to be enjoying the same treatment. It just depends on the game, I think. If it's something that is obviously going to bomb on the retail, and that even very few hardcores are going to care about, they just seem not to care about it.

Well if any of those games were given the year long heavy advertising campaign something like Jak & Daxter enjoyed, I think sales would've been a bit better.
Frequency actually had a very nice set of TV commercials that have been going for at least more than a month, but at the end it made no difference. Some games are apparently unsellable no matter what you do :\

Personally I'd say SCEA's buy far the worst 1st party publisher when it comes to localizing their own foreign stuff.
Yeah, but consider also how much more foreign stuff they make compared to Microsoft (maybe even Nintendo?? SCEJ just seems to make tons of low budget games) To complete the picture, it would be fair to compare how many localized games they've released compared to the other two.

jarrod

Banned
Marconelly said:
Yeah, but consider also how much more foreign stuff they make compared to Microsoft (maybe even Nintendo?? SCEJ just seems to make tons of low budget games) To complete the picture, it would be fair to compare how many localized games they've released compared to the other two.
Well...

PlayStation 2 (2001)
-Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
-Athens 2004
-Dark Cloud
-Dark Cloud 2
-Drakan: The Ancients' Gates
-Extermination
-EyeToy: Groove
-EyeToy: Play
-Fantavision
-Formula One 2001
-Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
-Gran Turismo 4
-Hot Shots Golf 3
-Hot Shots Golf Fore!
-ICO
-Killzone
-Okage: Shadow King
-PaRappa the Rapper 2
-Siren
-The Getaway
-The Getaway 2
-WildARMs 3
-World Tour Soccer 2002
-World Tour Soccer 2003
-World Tour Soccer 2005

GameBoy Advance (2002)
-Advance Wars
-Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
-Classic NES Series: Bomberman
-Classic NES Series: Donkey Kong
-Classic NES Series: Excitebike
-Classic NES Series: Ice Climber
-Classic NES Series: Pac-Man
-Classic NES Series: Super Mario Bros.
-Classic NES Series: The Legend of Zelda
-Classic NES Series: Xevious
-Disney's Magical Quest starring Mickey & Minnie
-Donkey Kong: King of Swing
-F-Zero: GP Legend
-F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
-Fire Emblem
-Game & Watch Gallery 4
-Golden Sun
-Golden Sun: The Lost Age
-Hamtaro: Ham Ham Games
-Hamtaro: Ham Ham Heartbreak
-Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
-Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
-Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
-Legend of Zelda: The Magical Hood
-Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
-Mario Golf: Advance Tour
-Mario Kart Super Circuit
-Mario Party Advance
-Mario Tennis
-Metroid Fusion
-Metroid: Zero Mission
-Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green
-Pokemon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire
-Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire
-Super Mario Advance
-Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
-Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2
-Wario Land 4
-WarioWare Inc.: Mega MicroGame$
-Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3

GameCube (2002)
-Animal Crossing
-Custom Robo: Battle Evolution
-Disney's Magical Mirror Starring Mickey Mouse
-Donkey Konga
-Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
-F-Zero GX
-Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
-Fire Emblem
-Kirby Air Ride
-Legend of Zelda (New)
-Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
-Luigi's Mansion
-Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
-Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
-Mario Party 4
-Mario Party 5
-Mario Party 6
-Mario Tennis
-Odama
-Paper Mario 2: The Thousand Year Door
-Pikmin
-Pikmin 2
-Pokemon Box: Ruby and Sapphire
-Pokemon Channel
-Pokemon Colosseum
-Star Fox 2
-Super Mario Sunshine
-Super Smash Bros. Melee
-Wario World
-WarioWare Inc.: Mega Party Game$

XBox (2002)
-Blinx: The Time Sweeper
-Blinx 2: Masters of Space & Time
-Kakuto Chojin
-Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II
-Shenmue II
-Sneakers

...Nintendo and Microsoft are at a slight disadvantage though, as all their Euro developed games are also produced by the USA branch. I think Sony's fragmented region structure is really becoming a double edged sword.... while it may allow divisions to operate in their particular region with little interference it's also the cause of a lot of infighting and wasted resources. Nintendo's and Microsoft's comparatively streamlined software operations seem to run way better imo, with way less overlap.

Agent X

jarrod said:
-Downhill Domination

Downhill Domination was developed in the US by Incog Inc. Entertainment.

jarrod said:
I think Sony's fragmented region structure is really becoming a double edged sword.... while it may allow divisions to operate in their particular region with little interference it's also the cause of a lot of infighting and wasted resources. Nintendo's and Microsoft's comparatively streamlined software operations seem to run way better imo, with way less overlap.

I agree for the most part. It seems strange the way that the various international branches of Sony Computer Entertainment conflict with each other so much. I don't really mind that some games (particularly some of the more obscure or niche games) are picked up by third-party publishers, but SCEA has made a few odd decisions, particularly with the PS2 entiries in established series like Wipeout and Ape Escape. Then we have games like SingStar and most of the World Rally Championship games that aren't even coming out at all over here (the first WRC game was excellent).

On the other hand, SCEA's software lineup for the North American market is already quite stacked as it is. Letting a third party handle the publishing tasks for European/Asian games could potentially be win-win for both parties involved--the original developer still benefits from the sale of the game, and the third party publisher gets another title to expand and diversify its own lineup.

jarrod

Banned
Agent X said:
Downhill Domination was developed in the US by Incog Inc. Entertainment.
Thanks.

Agent X said:
I agree for the most part. It seems strange the way that the various international branches of Sony Computer Entertainment conflict with each other so much. I don't really mind that some games (particularly some of the more obscure or niche games) are picked up by third-party publishers, but SCEA has made a few odd decisions, particularly with the PS2 entiries in established series like Wipeout and Ape Escape. Then we have games like SingStar and most of the World Rally Championship games that aren't even coming out at all over here (the first WRC game was excellent).
Yeah, I think the big problem is lost games (WRC, Singstar & Popolocrois being the most notable). SCEJ & SCEE seem to have a pretty good working relationship though, it's just SCEA where things fall apart. In fact didn't SCEE have their own E3 booth one year since SCEA was ignoring all their products?

Agent X said:
On the other hand, SCEA's software lineup for the North American market is already quite stacked as it is. Letting a third party handle the publishing tasks for European/Asian games could potentially be win-win for both parties involved--the original developer still benefits from the sale of the game, and the third party publisher gets another title to expand and diversify its own lineup.
Well this is where a strong central management could come in and keep the different divisions from having so much product overlap. I think cutting back and having each group focus on their strenghts would make a better library overall.

Though there's always the possibility of each division setting up their own foreign subsidiaries (SCEA Japan, SCEE USA, etc) for software publishing. I'd imagine SCEA would be rather pissed to lose Gran Turismo though.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Please tell me this game is better than Ape Escape 2. I bought Ape Escape 2 and let's just say I wasn't too happy with my purchase.

Ranger X

It's not a real Ape Escape game. It like a franchise game. It's kinda olympic action game actually. I hope it's multiplayer and online at least...

Top Bottom