• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro: Developers share how they’re using new tech to enhance their games

JimboJones

I've said this a few time but will say again. PSSR is being sent out as a live testbed for PS6. Once developers play with it and find out what it can / can't do and how much they can squeeze out of it they will boost it for PS6. Imagine PSSR on steroids paired with a ZEN 4/5 Class CPU and sufficient memory! Hurry up NEXTGEN!!!
These last few years of PS5 we will see bits and bobs of what PSSR can do, but I expect PS6 to be it's coming out party!
I don't really think there is much "testing" to be done here, most developers are probably very familiar with upscaling technology at this point.
Sony can improve the AI model for sure, but the main benefit will be all these games will have enhancements ready to go day 1 for PS6 and that's probably where most people will end up experiencing them.

Last edited:

SKYF@ll

The API of the PS5 (including Pro) is optimized for AMD, and with regards to RT, significant improvements are expected due to the features of RDNA4 and the efficiency of the API.
Sony has obtained multiple patents for RT and upscaling technologies over the past four years.
Taking into account that the I/O will be loading and decompressing from the SSD, it is not surprising that the PS5 Pro will have better benchmarks than a comparable PC.

Epic said. "Console APIs(PS5) offer greater flexibility in the ray-tracing pipeline, which we could leverage to our advantage."
*SIGGRAPH2022

The upgrade seems significant for Star Wars Jedi Survivor
At the same time, Performance Mode continues to deliver a solid 60 fps—but now with higher resolutions and the added visual depth of ray tracing for reflections and ambient occlusion.

Also Dragon Dogma 2
Dragon’s Dogma 2 will benefit from the power of the PS5 Pro, PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution (PSSR) and new ray tracing technology, allowing improved framerates.

Compare this with in-house Sony games with no added RT (Naughty Dog and Guerrilla).

Kangx

The team at BioWare is proud of how immersed players will be when they enter the beautiful world of Thedas, with upgraded image quality thanks to Sony’s new AI-based upscalers, PSSR. We’ve enabled Raytraced Ambient Occlusion (RTAO) in the 60FPS Performance mode, which previously was only available on the base PlayStation 5 with 30FPS Fidelity mode.”

Interesting. The base consoles performance mode don't have RTAO.

Hopefully PSSR can match the fidelity resolution of the base consoles at 60 fps with RTAO.

Also, most these games keep the fidelity option. I am curious to see.

JimboJones

Interesting. So the ps5 and series x output res are 1440p? The Pro output will be 4k with additional graphical enhancement. I guess this will look substantially better in term of image quality.

Well it was the target resolution, not sure how often they hit that with DRS but for sure pro will be an improvement.

nashman

Wow Sony first party and square, ea and capcom said in a blog post they will mail in a Pro patch to their recent or future games! Wow.

Im still buying.

Kangx

Well it was the target resolution, not sure how often they hit that with DRS but for sure pro will be an improvement.
I was talking about output res not internal. I was surprised both of these machines used FSR2 to upscale to 1440p instead of 4k.

My guess is the cost and it not worth it to go for 4k output with such low res with FSR2.

sendit

I've said this a few time but will say again. PSSR is being sent out as a live testbed for PS6. Once developers play with it and find out what it can / can't do and how much they can squeeze out of it they will boost it for PS6. Imagine PSSR on steroids paired with a ZEN 4/5 Class CPU and sufficient memory! Hurry up NEXTGEN!!!
These last few years of PS5 we will see bits and bobs of what PSSR can do, but I expect PS6 to be it's coming out party!
Yep. Also, the PS6 is a test bed for the PS6 Pro. Once developers play with it and find out what it can / can’t do and how much they can squeeze out of it they will boost it for the PS6 Pro.

sachos

Of the new announced PS5 Pro enhanced games Jedi Survivor, RE4 and RE8 could potentially run almost maxed + RT at 4K PSSR Quality/Balanced based on their respective performance on PC. That would be awesome.
The hardest would be Jedi Survivor maybe they have to drop to Performance with a mix of High/Medium settings.
I was checking out the performance of some of those games on PC, Jedi Survivor, RE4 and RE8 all could get massive boost in quality running at 4K PSSR. Those tests are done maxed settings + maxed RT and the equivalent GPUs are running it pretty good already.

Last edited:

Kangx

For stellar blade I kinda get it now after reading on twitter.

So Stellar blade will have the same 3 mode as the base ps5.

Native 4k mode = hovering around 50fps.
4k PSSR from 1440p = should be locked 60fps.
1440p mode with upcap frame rate hover around 80fps. Are they even lower the res here and use PSSR?

I am not sure which is correspond to which vs the bass modes.

I think this game will be interesting for DF to go over. You can basically maybe work out the preceive advantage and the actuall advantage base on PSSR and rasterization.

Edit: basically the pro will be a gold mine for Digital Foundry. The 3 modes image quality will be interesting to compare take performance into consideration.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

Yep.

With hardware costing more and getting less upgrades due to the limits of silicon technology, using hardware more efficiently is going to be increasingly more important. And EVERY PS6 OWNER benefits from PS5 Pro BC even if they do not buy a PS5 Pro and just wait for a PS6. I don't understand the complaints about this console. It serves a very good purpose.

I am a little curious at NVIDIA's CEO making claims that AI upscaling tech in gaming has a lot more legs and they can do even better. That's insane to me. It may be more important than the actual hardware upgrades themselves.

Killjoy-NL

All I know is that my PS5 Pro is gonna fucking SING in 2025

Ghost of Yotei
Grand Theft Auto 6
Death Stranding 2

Gonna be some real stunners there
Just imagine those visuals for P Diddy parties with enhanced Raytracing on all those oiled up bodies.
season 2 fox GIF by The Four

Last edited:
It's hilarious to see ign do a complete 180 on the pro because of Ghost of Yotei 🤣 nahh stay on that side we don't need more people interested before preorders.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member

Vick

Gold Member
Am I tripping, or does the MGS Delta footage look 60fps (Timestamped)?

Some kind of confirmation would be immensely appreciated, because if true this would be the first instance of a 30fps only PS5 game running at 60fps on Pro. Which is huge.

Luipadre

Some kind of confirmation would be immensely appreciated, because if true this would be the first instance of a 30fps only PS5 game running at 60fps on Pro. Which is huge.

There are 30 and 60 fps footage in this trailer so yeah, looks like both

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
There are 30 and 60 fps footage in this trailer so yeah, looks like both
Yeah, I remember reading the game being 30fps only on regular Consoles but that's apparently incorrect.

It has two Modes PS5/Series X, one 4K/30fps and the other 1080p at 30fps unlocked.
Hope we'll get something better out of Pro in terms of resolution/PSSR, but I'm not really optimistic about it being locked 60fps.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Naughty Dog's effort seems lazy. It's just the same thing at the same native resolution but PSSR upscaled to 4K, with no other improvements? Alright, will probably look a bit sharper, but meh.

Last edited:

Xtib81

I really wanted CP2077 to take full advantage of the ps5 pro. Sadly it looks like they won't provide any upgrade.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Here's how developers are utilizing the new PS5 Pro...

Naughty Dog: No new games
Sony Santa Monica: No new games
Guerilla: No new games

Firewalk: No new games

Last edited:

Parazels

I was totally thinking the same thing! And I haven’t even played it yet. So many epic games still on my 'to-play' list, and I’m all geared up for PRO beast mode !
I also postponed several graphically demanding games, to play them on... Xbox Pro... 😞😞😞

Vick

Gold Member
Naughty Dog's effort seems lazy. It's just the same thing at the same maybe resolution but PSSR upscaled to 4K, with no other improvements? Alright, will probably look a bit sharper, but meh.
Well, hopefully they're busy working on their damn PS5 game..

200w.gif

Difference in IQ is extremely noticeable though, even when compared to Fidelity. That's enough for me.

RCU005

I don't get people wanting PRO, nor the PRO itself.

Right now, 99% of the games will be games you already played, finished and maybe even platinumed; probably played more than once.

Then, by the time new games come out that truly utilizes and takes advantage of the PRO (If ever), the PS6 will be right around the corner and you'll be able to play those games enhanced and looking/performing even better.

This gen, the PRO is a bad idea, and just a way people are letting Sony SCAM them.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

Right now, 99% of the games will be games you already played, finished and maybe even platinumed; probably played more than once.

Then, by the time new games come out that truly utilizes and takes advantage of the PRO (If ever), the PS6 will be right around the corner and you'll be able to play those games enhanced and looking/performing even better.

This gen, the PRO is a bad idea, and just a way people are letting Sony SCAM them.
gonna cry tobey maguire GIF

Valonquar

I recently turned 50. Any game I played and platinum-ed more than a few years ago feel nearly like new games when I replay them. Sure I'll remember the major story beats , twists and turns, but for all other purposes it's at least as enjoyable as re-watching a movie I haven't seen in a long while. If I get to do it with improved framerates or polish, all the better.
It's not going to be any different than the PS4 Pro experience was. I also make enough money to buy the Pro, and indefinitely lend out my OG PS5 to friends that couldn't afford to pick one up.

RCU005

TBH, I am gonna cry that I surely will not be able to get the PS5 Slim 30th Anniversary Edition. I don't care about the PRO at all this time ( I did get the PS4 Pro back then). But I really really want the limited edition.

I also make enough money to buy the Pro,

That's a nice perk to have. It's fine if you do have the money to buy one, as everyone can do what they please about their earned money, but on the other hand, I feel as consumers in general, we should be sending a message to Sony, so they don't begin abusing! after all they are already rising prices uncontrollably.

Zuzu

Wukong needs Pro support as well. It’s good that Rise of the Ronin is getting an upgrade because image quality is a bit ugly in performance mode on that game.

yogaflame

Wukong needs Pro support as well. It’s good that Rise of the Ronin is getting an upgrade because image quality is a bit ugly in performance mode on that game.
Rise of ronin is a good game , only problem is the technical side. It deserves this upgrade.

sachos

Yup its running at 60 there and 30 in the previous clip. You can advance frame by frame in a 60fps video and check if it advances every frame to confirm 60fps. In this case it appears to not be locked to 60 since there are like 3 frames that stay on screen for 2 frames.
Then, by the time new games come out that truly utilizes and takes advantage of the PRO (If ever),
Its not a next gen console, its a mid gen refresh. From the moment it comes out games will take advantage of it since its only purpose is to run games better at higher fidelity/framerates/quality. I agree though it looks like if you want more raytracing features it seems like it will take more time.

Top Bottom