• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson - Ubisoft's Board is Launching an Investigation Into The Company

solecon64

Assassin's Creed Shadows is just masking Ubi's bigger problem - from the comments, some people are completely blinded by the DEI stuff -- Ubi's rinse and repeat gameplay is the far bigger problem; a common problem in the AAA space.
Of course, but you have to take it step by step. Let them get rid of the brain rot first, then we can complain about the gameplay, pricing and so on. Yes, those are actual problems, but fixing them wouldn't matter if the games are still putrid from the inside.

Lambogenie

Finally can we start focusing on day 1 quality again, and hopefully move on from formulaic open world stuff after this.

I'm hoping this sets a trend for all devs. Growth is of course important, but resting on laurels and releasing stagnating product is detrimental.

The sad thing is AC in Japan should have been a sure fire with immense priority and care. Maybe it still can be.

As for activist workers, they need to pipe down. Cultural sensitivity is one thing, but these guys also don't realise their shit isn't normal or fits in everywhere, like many other things. Push it if makes sense in the game setting, shuttup otherwise.

https://insider-gaming.com/ubisoft-investigation/

It has been announced that Ubisoft’s Executive Committee and Board of Directors will launch an investigation and review of the company.

The news came via a company financial statement and update, which included the delay of Assassin’s Creed Shadows and the announcement that Star Wars Outlaws underperformed. The statement read,

“In the light of recent challenges, we acknowledge the need for greater efficiency while delighting players. As a result, beyond the first important short-term actions undertaken, the Executive Committee, under the supervision of the Board of Directors, is launching a review aimed at further improving our execution, notably in this player-centric approach, and accelerating our strategic path towards a higher performing model to the benefit of our stakeholders and shareholders.

Finally, let me address some of the polarized comments around Ubisoft lately. I want to reaffirm that we are an entertainment-first company, creating games for the broadest possible audience, and our goal is not to push any specific agenda. We remain committed to creating games for fans and players that everyone can enjoy.”

At the time of writing, Ubisoft stock has decreased to 11.42 euros and has drastically fallen these past few months. Last month, Insider Gaming reported that XDefiant was at risk of losing its much-needed post-launch support after dwindling player numbers and following the release of a mild Star Wars: Outlaws launch, Ubisoft’s stock price fell to a near 10-year low.

Speaking with current and former Ubisoft employees, I am told that the move was inevitable and “the writing was on the wall,” as many Ubisoft studios have been struggling due to poor management. While I have reported on some of these issues in the past, Insider Gaming will have a more in-depth report in the coming days or weeks

https://insider-gaming.com/yves-guillemots-internal-memo-to-staff/

The memo includes announcing the Assassin’s Creed Shadows delay and the news that Star Wars Outlaws underperformed.

The full memo reads,

“Dear All,

We just issued a press release announcing our revised financial targets for the current fiscal year.

First, Star Wars Outlaws’ initial sales proved softer than expected, despite solid ratings from players that recognized the game’s faithful transcription of the original trilogy’s essence and richness: 76 on Metacritic, 3.85/5 on PS store, ~4/5 on Xbox and 4.4/5 on Epic. While players praise the sense of detail and the beauty of the graphics, the effectiveness of the reputation system, and endearing characters like Nix, some also noted areas of improvement. The development teams are already hard at work on this, focusing on save issues, stealth mechanics, more frequent quest checkpoints, and better NPC AI. I’m confident that these updates will significantly improve the player experience by allowing us to deliver on its promise, and make Star Wars Outlaws a must-play game and long-term seller. In parallel, the Publishing teams and developers are closely collaborating to increase the engagement with the game and boost player acquisition during Black Friday and the holiday season.

In today’s ultra-competitive market, players expect extraordinary experiences and ultra-polished games on Day 1. We need to continue to improve when it comes to fine-tuning our games and delivering outstanding gameplay. This is what will enable Ubisoft to again create the best games in the industry.

Consequently, we decided to delay Assassin’s Creed Shadows to February 14, 2025. The game is already playable and of high quality, and has all the features the team wanted to integrate into this ambitious experience. This unusual decision at such an advanced stage is motivated by our desire to offer an optimal experience from launch on all platforms and various PC configurations, and to remove the small frictions we typically used to address in post-launch title updates. We will also use the extra time to complement the experience with a few high-impact secondary quests that will bring even more memorable.

Additionally, as a result of listening to player feedback on other topics, our new releases, starting with Assassin’s Creed Shadows, will again be available on Steam on launch day, in addition to being available on first parties’, Epic’s and Ubisoft’s stores. Also, we are currently rethinking our Season Pass model for our upcoming games. For Assassin’s Creed Shadows, all players will have access to the game at the same time, and those who have pre-ordered the game will get the first expansion for free

Beyond the first important short-term actions that I’ve outlined above, the company’s top management will focus on accelerating the improvement of our production, communication, and publishing practices and processes in close collaboration with all these teams, with the objective to put players at the heart of all our decisions. We will regularly update you on the progress we’re making.

Lastly, I’d like to address the recent polarized coverage around our creative choices. We are an entertainment company. As such, our objective is not to endorse any specific agenda. Our mission has always been to entertain players and enrich their lives with original and memorable experiences, that resonate with a global audience.

This setback should not discourage us but serve as a learning experience and drive us to act even more quickly. More than ever, let’s continue to believe in our ability to bounce back, while approaching the challenges we face with lucidity and determination. I would like to thank you for your commitment and to reiterate my confidence in our collective ability to surprise and meet the expectations of a growing number of passionate players in the long term.

Yves

Phil is getting his checkbook ready.

Verchod

I guess they've now realised that putting new titles day one on their subscription service is hurting them.

And they make shit games these days... doesn't help.

solecon64

"our goal is not to push any specific agenda"

It may be just talk, but I never expected they/them to say that. Lovely.

I don't think they expected to be forced to say it either 😆 But this is 2024 Ubi writing that now. 2021 Ubi had completely different ideas.

gDDhr6n.jpeg

Raven117

When the board is getting involved it most of the time means the management misrepresented, if not outright lied about the state of the company.

I don’t think people get it. This is not about “we made a shit figurine for AC Shadows”, but “you lied about the state of the company”.
It’s way bigger that AC shadows. You are right.

As I said, when a board of a public company creates a special committee, it’s dead serious. Serious claims and liability have been alleged and/or the financial aspect has so drastically underperformed, the company is in distress.

Tams

They're too into it to course correct. They can get better in 5 years or so but not without going through a long and painful process

That's what I meant. They have to start somewhere and this looks like it might be that start.

lmimmfn

So how's the AAAA going Ubi?

Oh.......

Preorders must have been terrible as is evident that they are launching on steam, does that mean without ubi launcher?

Not that it matters to me, I havnt spent money on a ubisoft game since Watch Dogs, got really tired of their formula

Last edited:
Ubisoft have released nothing but bang average games for a decade now.

Their games have very little appeal, how about looking into why that is.

laynelane

I appreciate the line about not pushing an agenda, but the 'stern company President' image reminding errant employees about their priorities falls short here. There's almost no doubt he was signing off on this agenda bs all along. It's only now that financial and image consequences are occurring that 'making enjoyable games' is back to being important. That said, I do hope this signifies a real shift in priorities for the company and a possible wake-up call to other companies who have been following the same trajectory.

Last edited:
I think I said in a previous comment that companies like Ubisoft and Disney aren't stupid. They know why they aren't doing well, but they are willing to sacrifice their profit to push an agenda. Ubisoft 100% knew that if the main character of Outlaws was Han Solo, it would have sold more but they don't care. Same goes for Shadows. The problem is that shareholders and investers are there to make money, and they don't care about politics. It was inevitable that they would intervene eventually.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Nah, Ubisoft doesn't have any agenda. Oh.....wait....

1487071650840923721.jpg

Oh....a little virtue signaling doesn't mean anything, right?

I remember back when the original Assassins Creed dropped in 2007 and the opening was just telling us it was made by people of "various faiths and beliefs." At the time it actually sounded pretty cool to me (and it was definitely a unique way to open a game), like "Oh shit, a game that takes place in the Crusades and they actually got a wide range of people to work on it with different religious backgrounds? Sounds rad."

Then it just devolved into a complete joke.

Holammer

Some of you might not have heard about Disney's recent big success with Inside Out 2, there are reports of the development being heavily scrutinized by Disney according to a former Pixar employee, making sure it was less gay with no overt framing or colours that would suggest or inspire gay shipping/chemistry. That's how I would have handled production myself after Lightyear's failure.

I expect to see similar moves towards the centre in the video game industry too. If you have progressive themes [and I think you should have because it lends itself to interesting subtext], how about not making a big deal out of it, do it with less virtue signaling. Like we had in media before 2015. The moment you put the issue on a pedestal and it becomes polarizing and you lose a good chunk of your audience.

bundylove

I like where it says their goal is not to push a specific agenda.......good luck with that.
Every game of theirs has woke progressive written all over it.

This game is made by a multicultural team yad yada yada, male to female role switches etc......

laynelane

That right there shows why gaming media has lost so much respect from gamers. Stock price falling, board launching an investigation, controversy surrounding their most recent release and upcoming game, etc. - but why would they address this?

Kacho

Some of you might not have heard about Disney's recent big success with Inside Out 2, there are reports of the development being heavily scrutinized by Disney according to a former Pixar employee, making sure it was less gay with no overt framing or colours that would suggest or inspire gay shipping/chemistry. That's how I would have handled production myself after Lightyear's failure.

I expect to see similar moves towards the centre in the video game industry too. If you have progressive themes [and I think you should have because it lends itself to interesting subtext], how about not making a big deal out of it, do it with less virtue signaling. Like we had in media before 2015. The moment you put the issue on a pedestal and it becomes polarizing and you lose a good chunk of your audience.
Yep. My wife refused to let our daughters watch Buzz Lightyear because she heard about the controversy. She isn’t even political. Just hates woke shit as much as the next person.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Really no surprise people have gravitated towards YT'ers like Asmon

Speaking of, where are his thoughts on this :messenger_grinning_smiling:
I just started watching these kinds of guys the past month due to concord fiasco. Yellow flash 2 is another one. Very common sense guys who are a laugh to listen to. I don’t agree with everything they say and sometimes they get numbers wrong, but holistically sensible views on concord and DEI kinds of issues. You don’t need to be a Mensa graduate to know some things are just wrong right off the bat. So everyone is amazed how some of these shenanigans get through approval process.

Topher

Gold Member
That right there shows why gaming media has lost so much respect from gamers. Stock price falling, board launching an investigation, controversy surrounding their most recent release and upcoming game, etc. - but why would they address this?

This goes to show you that corporations are happy to be embrace all the woke ideologies as long as the money keeps coming in. The cash flow dries up and these spineless executives will drop the pandering, DEI, the pronouns, all of it, if it stopped the bleeding. Honestly, the whole damn industry could use a good crash right about now to get their heads out of their asses.

Top Bottom