• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Reportedly Spent $650 to $850 Million on Skull and Bones

Where are these magic numbers coming from?
Do we just trust any number that comes from anyone's mouth these days?

Are we really moving on the "This random baseless factoid suits my agenda, therefore I will treat it as truth" bandwagon?

Where is the critical thinking?

Ubisoft's annual revenue is like $2.5 billion, and they somehow spent 25% of that on one game? What are we doing? We know they're shit, we don't need to make shit up though.

Last edited:

PandaOk

Neo Member

Are we really moving on the "This random baseless factoid suits my agenda, therefore I will treat it as truth" bandwagon?

Ubisoft's annual revenue is like $2.5 billion, and they somehow spent 25% of that on one game? What are we doing? We know they're shit, we don't need to make shit up though.
25% of annual revenue for a single year when development took a decade isn’t insane I’d think? But I’m not saying the figure is correct.

Last edited:

ManaByte

iQ4MYfX.jpeg

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
You know why people don’t talk about game budgets on successful games? Because they’re made for sincere experiences not by people in their wallets and focused on money.

Roni

The real news here is that whoever was responsible for these projects being in development hell ended up getting promoted and taking over the company.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
650-800 sounds way too much.

Whatever that amount is, make note that the Singapore government gave them subsidies over the years. Who knows how much that is.

Regardless, I dont think the agreement would call for the gov completely covering it.

But what a sinkhole S&B was over 10 years. Thats video game companies for ya. Crazy budgets like money is unlimited. They often seem to enjoy riding a bad decision to rock bottom. Like buying stocks. There comes a time to cut losses. A game company will ride it down to a dime. All in.

Last edited:

Nikodemos

The numbers seem suspect, but, if it had already cost Ubi ~$125 million by 2021 (as per that TheGamer article), and they built a completely new studio from the ground up, in a region with high property and labor costs, I suspect the final sum, including marketing, might be north of $300 million, possibly closer to $350 million.
Admittedly, not all of this might be out of Ubi's pocket, given the subsidy deal with the Singapore government. However, that deal is an ongoing ball & chain in their budgeting, since they have to adhere by the terms, else return the funds (unlikely to do, in their current financially weakened state).

hyperbertha

To this day I haven't seen a single skull and bones gameplay video. I am not sure if this game released or is about to release. Where was the marketing for this game? I can't recall anybody talking about this either.

MMaRsu

The game was in full development for around 11 years.

So make of that what you will.

Top Bottom