• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot |OT| of Windows + OSX best features in free flavour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Stalking_Ocelot_by_Sayantan_Chaudhuri.jpg

Introducing: Ubuntu 11.10
Code Name: Oneiric Ocelot
Release Date: October 13th 2011

INFO: The latest GNU/Linux release from Canonical

ONEIRIC
o·nei·ric   [oh-nahy-rik]
adjective
- of or pertaining to dreams.

OCELOT
oc·e·lot   [os-uh-lot]
noun
- a spotted leopardlike cat, Felis pardalis, ranging from Texas through South America: now greatly reduced in number and endangered in the U.S.

ThisIsTheCountdown!

What's New:

- Linux Kernel 3.0

Oneiric is going to be the 1st Ubuntu distro to ship with the new 3.0 Kernel! Some of the key new features include hardware support for things like Microsoft Kinect and AMD Fusion APUs as well as software things like Btrfs data scrubbing and defragmentation.

As always the best place to get the patch notes is over at Kernel Newbiews which both has a quick summary as well as details for those that want to dig into things!

Desktop:

- Refining the 3d Unity Interface

So the main goal for this release is to refine the user experience, and improve on the big jump Ubuntu made with 11.04 moving to Unity as their default user shell. This means bug fixes, some usability changes, and just general refinement on the way to Ubuntu 12.04 which is the next long term support, LTS, release.

To quote Mark Shuttleworth on Canonical's goal with Unity...

"Our goal with Unity is unprecedented ease of use, visual style and performance on the Linux desktop."​

So to that end lets get right down to it, and see just what's been up in the Oneiric world for the past 6 months in terms of Unity.

dash_home_11.10_768.png

- Search

As you can see Unity is still Unity, but upon a closer look you can definitely see somethings jump right out at you that weren't included in the 1st major desktop version in Ubuntu 11.04. Search has been refined and allows you to pick different lenses as well as different overall sources to search.

Think of this sort of moving away from the places that have been in Ubuntu for years and into something a little more refined with more options to suit a modern user's needs. Scopes are all the places you can pull data from, and the cool thing here is it can be both offline as well as online sources. The only prerequisites being able to produce categorized search results, describe a set of filters, and support the interface. I'll be honest I'm not exactly sure what will end up working at least online wise and what won't, but it's a neat idea being implemented. I'm sure it'll get more support as the feature rolls out for real in the final release.

Now to help sort of filter through all of your data you can find in your sources we have lenses. Different key words that can describe the file or folder you are looking for so you aren't scrolling through mounds of data to find exactly what you want. I mean that's the whole point of search to be honest. It also has built in Software center hooks so you can use the 5 star rating system to filter out applications.

Canonical have said they are working to add more sources and lenses and trying to refine the experience. One of the big things though is they want to keep it a system anyone in the world can use on their 1st attempt. Currently all of the original idea of places are being ported over, and eventually everything is just gonna be either a source or a category.

- The Dash

They moved the dashboard button from the top left now down to the unity bar itself in this release. Mainly this was to keep the top left corner free from everything but it's intended use which is the min/max/close buttons that were implemented in 11.04. Now you either click the dash button or if you are a shortcut user put your super key (windows/command key) to pull up the dash.

You can also tell they have just sort of spruced up the graphics, they've fiddled a little bit with the scroll bar, and the cash color adjusts based on your wallpaper to sort of a washed look. There are newer transitions and stuff too, and everything seems to be just as snappy if not more so than 11.04 which was a big complaint in 11.04. Maybe it's just my hardware box, but I felt a slight boost in terms of speed and overall dash responsiveness in the dash so far in 11.10.

One final thing is you can drag and drop files from the dash. Not a big thing, but it can come in handy on certain occasions.

- Other Desktop Changes

Another addition this go round is the a tweaking of the way alt-tab'ing workings. They've changed up the way the icons display, and how the highlighted icon shows what you'd be switching to by using the alt-tab. This is shown in the picture bellow.

Workspace-1_0011.jpg

Another controversial change is the hide of hiding the global menu by default until scrolled over. So the menu in the top left hand corner is just a grey part of the panel until scrolled over. It's not a big thing, but it's a slight usability change that you might lover or hate. I'll admit I'm rather indifferent.

There is also a fading aero snap effect now that creates a faded view of what your newly snapped project is gonna look like verses just an outline. This way actually shows the content inside to in a slightly faded view. This is still being worked on though, and could get pushed to the next release.

- Unity 2D

dash.jpg

2D Unity is now being included in the default install of the desktop version of Ubuntu 11.10. You can run either 3D or 2D unity if capable, and if not 2D Unity is going to be the default fall back for hardware that doesn't meet the spec requirements for 3D Unity. I'll be honest even though I can run Unity 3D and normally do at one point during the Beta 3D Unity broke and I was forced to use 2D Unity until it was fixed. During that time my fondness for 2D Unity grew to the point now where I sort of prefer it over 3D unity. It's not as flashly or as technically advanced, but it seems to run a tad smoother without all of those crazy fancy transitions.

For those that want a slightly more technical breakdown read ahead. If not you can skip this paragraph. Unity 3D is a plugin for Compiz written mainly in C++ using an Open GL Tool Kit referred to as Nux. This allows for GPU hardware acceleration provided you have the right hardware. 2D Unity on the other hand is a collection of programs done in the QT framework using QML as the language. It also uses Metacity for it's window manager unlike Unity 3D which uses Compiz (this is only by default though as 2D can technically use Compiz or KWin for that matter).

- The Switch to Gnome 3

So one of the big changes in Ubuntu 11.10 is the fact that Ubuntu is finally making the switch from Gnome 2.3 to Gnome 3. Understand this just means backend Gnome, and Canonical isn't planning on going with Gnome Shell anytime soon. Unity is still the full driving force for Canonical at this point. Still the switch the Gnome 3 and full on GTK3 is a big one, and a much needed one seeing how Gnome 2 isn't really the focus anymore. So in terms of being up to date, and keeping up with the stream in terms of backend features as well bug fixes and the like this was a change coming.

The overall goal is to be parity with the latest Gnome release throughout the cycle, and then launch Ubuntu with Gnome 3.2 which just released at the very end of September. Your casual user won't really notice a big difference as Unity is still the main shell, but it's nice to see they finally got the switch over work done. It was a mass undertaking to say the least which was why they didn't get it done in 11.04.

LightDM: Changing Up the Login Screen

Another big change that was proposed and pondered about for 11.04 has finally gotten the go ahead for 11.10 which is changing of the login from GDM to LightDM. This change was done for a couple of reasons. 1stly the code base for GDM was like 50,000 lines, and LightDM is about 5,000 lines. This mean maintaining the code base should in theory be much easier, and take much less overall time. It also does not load any Gnome Libraries which speeds some things up.

Another big plus for the change is the fact that the backend is designed based on webkit. This allows for a ton of easy to do flexibility in drawing HTML logins. It makes this extremely themeable, and gone are the days of having to stare at a boring login screen without a lot of work to change things up.

Upon booting up you'll arrive at the new LightDM login screen which will look similar to the screen bellow.

lightdm-unity-greeter.png

You can easily login on one of your many accounts or click to roll in as a guest account if need be. You also can see the little gear which if clicked will allow you to choose different desktop options like say Unity 3d or Unity 2d. All in all it's functional, and seems slightly more intuitive. Plus I can't wait to see what sort of themes end up getting made for this as I like to customize stuff. Heck just replacing the default login wallpaper would be nice and easy to do now!

- Software Center Goes Next Gen

App Stores, Marketplaces, and Software Centers are all the rage these days. One might argue at Linux and Ubuntu in particular at least in terms of the desktop were blazing the trail years before say OSX Lion hit with it's integrated App Store or before MS decided Win 8 needed it's own marketplace. The Software Center has slowing been becoming the place to download all things Ubuntu, and they've been pushing the Synpatic Package Manager to the background.

With Oneiric Ocelot Canonical and the community decided it was time to do a big redesign to really push the Software Center to new heights. Consider this at least in terms of look as Software Center 2.0 as you may have it.

Selection_008.jpeg

New design should help you find apps easier, understand what exactly it is you could be downloading, check out community reviews, see recommendations, and even sync your app list to the cloud if need be. The Software Center also has a new a new icon to go along with the rest of the redesign. It's definitely appears to be more modern in look and taste. Though it remains to be seen if it'll really be a big difference in terms of usage and getting things done.

- Another Ubuntu Release Means Another Installer Update

1.jpg

Another release means another installer complete with updated slides showing users the new features of Ubuntu 11.10, and maybe helping familiarize new comers to the OS on the features offered to the user. Things like the software center, and the round of preinstalled programs will be shown off in slides as the install takes place. Nothing new for a modern install, and pretty much stays the course from Ubuntu 11.04.

- Speaking of Default Apps

So speaking of what made it in Ubuntu 11.10 in terms of preinstalled apps we've got some new programs, some new versions of your old favorites, and some switch ups from one program to another in this release.

Web Browser!

Despite the debate it seems on basically every release now on what browser to go with Canonical like most Linux distros has stuck with Firefox for it's default install. Chrome(ium) always gets brought up as the counter point, but FF still rules the roost in this regard. Plus with Mozilla moving to a more Google like release schedule this means distros will always have a relatively new and up to date version of Firefox to ship with verses before when FF was on long cycles and got delayed meaning distros had to ship a new version of their OS with a rather old version of FF.

Firefox is being shipped in the form of 7 for the release with the updates obviously coming in the form of the update box/software center as the releases rolls on. So no worries about getting an older version of FF with this release as 7 is the most current stable release across all systems.

Office Suite

Libre Office will be the default Office Suite going forward. First appearing in Ubuntu 11.04 Libre in general has been a nice success in the FOSS world. Releases are getting out faster, more bugs are being fixed, and overall usability is much improved over the old Open Office post fork into Libre. 3.4 is the latest release going, and it's the release you'll see in Oneiric.

Music Player

Like Libre we had another switch last cycle and that was in the music player catagory. Banshee took over the reigns from Rythmbox, and it's keeping those reigns in Ubuntu 11.10. Version 2.2 which just released at the end of last month is going to be the version shipping with Oneiric.

emusic-700.png

You're getting your usually bag of bug fixes, and small updates. You also get improved native support for things like the Nook Color and the Motorola Atrix and the like. They also added in native support for the eMusic store to buy things. As if we didn't have enough music stores in the world already! LOL :p

A Loud Crack Is Heard: Thunderbird Comes

In a much debated move Evolution as the default e-mail client as been replaced now with Thunderbird from the Mozilla crew. If you've used Thunderbird before you know what to expect so it won't be a big change. Like Firefox Thunderbird is also shipping as version 7.0. There was some back and forth in whether this was a good change or not, but honestly I bet most GAFers just use web e-mail anyways unless they are at work. As long as I can access Gmail then well I'm good to go.

Deja Dup: New Backup Tool Installed By Default

The coolest addition to Ubuntu 11.10 sofware wise has to be Deja Dup. Think of this as Ubuntu's version of Time Machine preinstalled for all to use. The cool addition here is Deja Dup got full Ubuntu One integration. For that that don't know Ubuntu One is Canonical's own version of Dropbox preinstalled. With Deja Dup having Ubuntu One support if you pay for the larger storage you can just run your backups straight to the cloud without a need for an external hard drive. You also can fully encrypt your backup files if you are worried about that type of thing.

It's been debated about if it should be included by default, and as one developer at the Ubuntu Developer Summit for Oneiric put it...

"[It's an] Important thing to have if we want to go mainstream. This is a good time."

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-gW5GTleldzA/TpMlZksae4I/AAAAAAAAAaI/XdlpyN2APGc/s640/deja-dup.png/IMG]

- [B][I]Papercuts: Bug Fix to the Max[/I][/B]

So a new project formed back during the Karmic Koala days and used in Natty Narwhal is back for this release. The essence of this project comes from the name called "The One Hundred Paper Cuts Project" which grew out of the [URL="https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ayatana"]Ayatana Project[/URL]. Just what is this?

"[I]Ayatana is a collective effort to improve the user experience of software in and for Ubuntu. It encompasses a number projects started by Canonical and is open for feedback, ideas and initiatives from the community. Activities reach from problem definition, research and conception to implementation.
The focus of the project is to improve the perception and presentation of information in the desktop, hence the name; the Buddhist term for a sense base or sense sphere. Specific areas of interest that take priority over everything else are: notifications, indicators, window management, launcher, places, settings and menus.[/I]

From this the Papercuts Project was designed to bug fix 100 usability issues in the desktop for each release the Papercuts Project was targeting. This should really please everyone, and especially the crowd that might feel Canonical focuses so much time on innovating and changing things up verses cleaning up what we already have. I just wish we got this project every release. I'll settle for every other release for now though! You can check out more about the[B] [URL="https://launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts"]Papercuts Project at the Launchpad site set up for this![/URL][/B]

- [B][I]Ocelots like to play on Servers too![/I][/B]

So as with every Ubuntu release Canonical also throws out a new version of Ubuntu server. While normally the desktop version of Ubuntu always gets the spotlight the Server version is no slouch. Oneiric is seeing a ton of small changes obviously and bug fixes, but the team like to point out 4 main changes.

[B][URL="http://cloud.ubuntu.com/2011/10/ubuntu-server-trenches-the-big-picture/"]Official Canonical Article on Ubuntu Server![/URL][/B]

Canonical put a small little interview/article on Ubuntu Server 11.10 with Robbie Williamson who is head of the Ubuntu Server Engineering Team. He said he likes to break it down into 4 main changes for Ubuntu 11.10 which you can see bellow...

[INDENT]1. Ubuntu Cloud – Ubuntu Cloud is the name of the portfolio of cloud technologies that we offer. It is composed of two halves:

- Ubuntu Cloud Infrastructure, which is the successor of Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud, is a ready to deploy Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) based on OpenStack Diablo. It is making it’s official entry into Ubuntu 11.10

- Ubuntu Cloud Guest, which used to be called Jeos or UEC-image, is the Ubuntu Server image specially tailored for use in public or private cloud infrastructure.

2. Orchestra – A collection of what we think are the best free software services for provisioning, deploying, hosting, managing, and orchestrating enterprise data center infrastructure services, by, with, and for the Ubuntu Server. Orchestra, enables users to quickly deploy a solution in the datacenter. Instead of manually setting up a complex network installation environment, users can leverage Orchestra to rapidly deploy new servers in production using the best open-source tools. The process is standardised and fully automated, minimising manual intervention and ensuring consistency. This is a direct response to all of our users who’ve been asking, and even begging, us to help them make doing multiple installs and deployments easier.

3. juju – Juju is a service deployment and orchestration framework developed by Canonical and used to deploy and manage services both on bare-metal and in the cloud. Through the use of what we call charms, juju provides you with shareable, re-usable, and repeatable expressions of DevOps best practices. You can use them unmodified, or easily change and connect them to fit your needs. Deploying a charm is similar to installing a package on Ubuntu: ask for it and it’s there, remove it and it’s completely gone. I’m pretty excited about this one because I feel we’re doing some real original thinking and innovation around solving real problems for users of the cloud.

4. ARM – Ubuntu Server 11.10 will be the first release with support for the ARM architecture. Usually thought of as something used in embedded or mobile devices, the ARM architecture has advanced tremendously over recent years. We’re now at a point where ARM processors are able to handle workloads traditionally done by Intel and AMD based servers. Canonical has a long history with ARM and the various partners around enabling Ubuntu on ARM devices. We were also one of the first members of the Linaro project, a not-for-profit software engineering company investing in core Linux software and tools for ARM SoCs. Over this past cycle, we worked closely with the Ubuntu ARM team, as well as ARM partners interested in the ARM server market, to produce a tech preview of Ubuntu Server for ARM. Our goal is to deliver a full blown server tuned OS for ARM in Ubuntu Server 12.04LTS, ready in time for the first official, production-ready ARM servers due to roll out in 2012.[/INDENT]

Vanillalite

- Other Spinoffs

Kubuntu 11.10

One of the most popular if not THE most popular Ubuntu spinoff is Kubuntu aka Ubuntu with KDE as it's default interface. You're getting your usual ie latest version of KDE so 4.7, regular round of program updates, and a handful of bug fixes. KDE and Ubuntu is your thing there is no reason you won't update to the latest version.

desktop.png

Cool little addition to Kubuntu 11.10 would have to be Low-Fat settings which are a series of settings to get Kubuntu to run better on lower end systems improving things like KDE's load time and cutting down on overall memory usage. It's a cool idea even if most people with lower end systems would probably look towards other spins.

Xubuntu 11.10

Here we have another ever more popular spinoff called Xubuntu. This like Kubuntu tries to pull from the Ubuntu base with a different GUI, and Xubuntu goes with XFCE. Now Xubuntu became rather popular last release cycle seeing XFCE had gotten a major update to 4.8 and Ubuntu had switched to Unity for it's shell. In particular a lot of GAFers on a range of systems and not just older ones which XFCE is known to work well on made the jump as XFCE was clean, fast, feature rich, and very Gnome 2.3 like.

Xubuntu 11.10 is back and with just as much awesomeness that everyone loved from 11.04. I gotta admit as someone who never used XFCE or Xubuntu before 11.04 surprised the hell out of me on just how great it was straight out of the box. You're basically getting the same version of XFCE just the latest bug fixed version, LightDM as your login manager now, and a few small app changes such as Leaf replacing Mouse as the default text editor. If you like Xubuntu no reason not to keep rolling with the latest version as well as getting the Kernel upgrade to 3.0

The theme itself is staying the same for this version, but like Ubuntu itself the main difference will be everything is going GTK3 for Gnome 3.2 being the default now.

greybirdthemeresized4oku.png

It's also worth noting the Xubuntu website is rather sparse and stale in terms of look feel and info. That'll change tomorrow though seeing how they are going live with a new website to coincide with the Xubuntu 11.10 release. I have no clue what it'll look like though or else I'd post a screen shot!

Lubuntu

We get a new comer to the officially recognized Ubuntu spins with Lubuntu a distro that has for a long time been trying to get official status. Lubuntu like Xubuntu tries to shoot for a more lightweight desktop approach. Where Xubuntu goes for XFCE Lubuntu goes for LXDE.

Since this is the 1st version that's going official they the Lubuntu team has been focusing more on bug fixes and changes of the like rather than new features. They want to make a good first impressions since they will be officially hosted by Canonical now. One of the new features they are adding though is the Software Center. In the past the Lubuntu team has had problems getting the Software Center in and still keeping Lubuntu fast and lightweight. Supposedly the development of a new applications manager for this release is going to fix this problem though.

At any rate congrats to all of the Lubuntu people out there for getting your 1st officially recognized release!

EdUbuntu

Also get your normal round of EdUbuntu aka Educational Ubuntu. The biggest change for EdUbuntu 11.10 is Unity. It didn't make it in for 11.04 like it did for regular Ubuntu, but 11.10 is going to inherent all of the changes regular Ubuntu 11.10 has such as Unity and Unity 2d. They basically are making it feature parody with the regular Ubuntu version, and they didn't want this version to fall even more behind.

What to do on Download Day!

1. Head over to Ubuntu's Official Website to grab the latest version of Ubuntu. It's usually available via many download sources as well as a torrent. Heads up though that it might take a while depending for the website to update on the 10th. Burn the ISO and GO GO GO!!!

Pro Tip: Choose the Alternate Methods of getting the .iso and grab one of the torrents. Where as websites slow down in times of heavy traffic, the whole point of torrenting is the more people sharing the faster your speed should be. Easily the best option no matter what flavor of Ubuntu you are grabbing on release day!

2. If you already have Ubuntu installed then you can just upgrade!

A) To upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04 on a desktop system, press Alt+F2 and type in "update-manager -d" (without the quotes) into the command box. Update Manager should open up and tell you: New distribution release '11.10' is available. Click Upgrade and follow the on-screen instructions.

B) To upgrade from Ubuntu 11.04 on a server system: install the update-manager-core package if it is not already installed; edit /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades and set Prompt=normal; launch the upgrade tool with the command sudo do-release-upgrade -d; and follow the on-screen instructions.

C) To upgrade from Kubuntu 11.04 follow the instructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OneiricUpgrades#Network

D) Just head on over to the Xubuntu Official Website to figure out what to do on release day! Plus you can see their brand new website launched on the same day as the new release!

3. If your just curious about the release you can always follow step 1. Then when you insert the burned ISO just let it start, and select run as a live cd. For those not familar you're just running the OS straight off the CD, and not installing anything. It's a great way to just try out a distro to see what's up!

4. If your running Windows there is a handy little installer made called Wubi! You download this small file, and then you can run it in windows. It'll ask you what version of Ubuntu you want, setup your login info, and how much space you want to give it. Then it'll auto download, handle all the partitioning, and then just ask you to reboot to finish the install. What's great about this is to get rid of Ubuntu since you installed via Wubi in Windows you just go to add/remove programs and select Ubuntu from the list!

5. Finally if you want to be cool and have your Ubuntu fix on the go you can always use the UNetbootin program which works in both Linux, OSX and Windows. It'll easily let you create a Ubuntu built on your USB Flash drive. Heck it'll let you chose alot of different distros even if Ubuntu isn't your cup of GNU/Linux tea!

Another Linux and Windows choice would be the Linux Live USB Creator that works in both Windows and Linux. It's basically another alternative to Unetbootin as they accomplish the same tasks.

Pro Tip: Running the .iso off of a usb stick is just like running it off of the cd no matter if you want to install or run as a live cd. So why waste the extra blank cd or dvd when you could just use the usb method to install? Just slap it on a usb stick if you need to do a clean install and not an upgrade!

PS: For some reason over the last year or so I've become partial to the Linux LiveUSB Creator over Unetbootin for some reason. No particular reason why, and they both work well. Just how I've chosen to roll.

RELEASE DATE COUNTDOWN!!!

Adit_Oneiric.png

References:

1. Ubuntu Official Website
2. Kubuntu Official Website
3. Xubuntu Official Website
4. Edubuntu Official Website
5. Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs: The Official Neogaf Linux Topic!
6. OmgUbuntu: Best Ubuntu Blog on the Web! (Credit to them for some of the pics in this topic!)
7. Wubi Installer Page
8. UNetbootin Installer Page
9. Linux Live USB Creator
10. This Week In Linux: Great General Website + an Official Youtube Channel
11.Mark Shuttleworth's Blog: aka the Man the Myth the Legend behind Ubuntu
12. Shawn Powers Blog: My favorite Linux writer (currently writes for Linux Journal Mag/Website)

Photography People: Get Your Art in Ubuntu as Wallpaper!

Don't forget to check out the Ubuntu Artwork Flickr Group! You can submit your artwork and twice a year they select some of these photos to be included as Official Wallpaper in the actual release! If your good with your DSLR then lets see your talent!

The Wallpaper of Ubuntu 11.04

Courtesy of OmgUbuntu: Click Me for the Story and Larger Versions!

15 Included Wallpapers in a TARBALL

The Default Desktop Wallpaper

warty-final-ubuntu.jpg

14 Other Assorted Wallpapers!

Buck_off%252521_by_SirPecanGum.jpg
Darkening_Clockwork_by_Matt_Katzenberger.jpg

Dybb%2525E2%252594%25259C%2525E2%252595%252595lsbro_Station_by_SirPecanGum.jpg
JardinPolar_by_CarmenGloria_Gonzalez.jpg

Langelinie_All%2525E2%252594%25259C%2525E2%25258C%252590_by_SirPecanGum.jpg
Momiji_Dream_by_Deacon_MacMillan.jpg

Mount_Snowdon%25252C_Wales_by_Adam_Vellender.jpg
Not_Alone_by_Deacon_MacMillan.jpg

Power_of_Words_by_Antonio_Litterio.jpg
PurpleDancers_by_Emilio_Merlino.jpg

Small_flowers_by_Dariusz_Duma.jpg
Stalking_Ocelot_by_Sayantan_Chaudhuri.jpg

The_Grass_aint_Greener_by_fix_pena.jpg
WildWheat_by_Brian_Burt.jpg

Shout Outs!

- To Linux GAF for another 6 months of Linux fun. You always make me feel like no matter whatever else is happening on GAF I'll always have a happy home there!

- To my GF Christa for still putting up with me for another 6 months especially seeing as I deem myself rather mentally unstable sometimes! :p

- To my Vent crew Chelmo, Levito, Zield, Yoda, RHF, Lambs, Griffy, Net etc... for all the fun we have online together

- To Rgn aka the Kajun a special shout out for paying for our vent server for the past few years. Your vent server brings up soooo many good times and sooo many long nights of crazy fun. Life wouldn't be as cool without you!

- To SFLUFan for hosting the TF2 server that we use every Tuesday and Thursday Nights. The week just wouldn't be as fun without TF2 night!

- To fellow GAFer itxaka for the thread title suggestion as well as being an all around cool poster!

- To Google for sending me my CR-48 netbook to which I made this post on!

- To the electronic group Above and Beyond who's weekly radio show called Trance Around the World was my main source of music while creating this thread

- To Opeth for their new controversial album Heritage which I'm currently listening too!

- Finally to my parents for putting up with my crazy self since the early 80s. Plus they got me my 1st computer an IBM PS/2 with Win 3.1 back in late elementary school!

In Memory of Smokey: Coolest Dog Ever RIP
smokey.jpg

PS:Coming Soon to a Computer Near you!

Precise
pre·cise [pri-sahys]
adjective
definitely or strictly stated, defined, or fixed: precise directions.

Pangolin
pan·go·lin [pang-guh-lin]
noun
any mammal of the order Pholidota, of Africa and tropical Asia, having a covering of broad, overlapping, horny scales and feeding on ants and termites.

Mark Shuttleworth on the Name

P is for…
Wednesday, October 5th, 2011

It’s a perennial pleasure to pick pertinent and/or pithy placeholder names for Ubuntu releases. At least, I like to think of them as pertinent and/or pithy. I’ve had diverse feedback, shall we say. Nevertheless, it’s now a tradition, and it’s a pressing priority as we approach the release of Oneiric.

So, what will be our mascot for 12.04 LTS?

The letter P is pretty perfect. It’s also plentiful – my inbox has been rather full of suggestions – and we have options ranging from pacific to purposeful, via puckish and prudent. We’ll steer clear of the posh and the poncey, much as some would revel in the Portentious Palomino or the Principled Paca, those aren’t the winning names. Having spent the last six months elucidating the meaning of “oneiric” I think it might also be worth skipping the parenthetical or paralogical options too; so sadly I had to exclude the Perspicacious Panda and Porangi Packhorse (though being an LTS, that Packhorse was a near thing).

Being generally of a cheerful nature, I thought we’d avoid the Predatory Panther and Primeval Possum. Neither sounds like great company for a seven year journey, really. Same goes for the Peccable Peccary, Pawky Python and Perfidious Puku. So many bullets to dodge round here!

We’re looking for something phonetic, something plausible and something peaceful too. We’ll avoid the petulant, the pestilent, the phlegmy (phooey!), the parochial, the palliative and the psychotic. We’re aiming for mildly prophetic, and somewhat potent, without wanting to be all pedantic and particular. Phew.

So, what might work?

There are lots of lovely candidates. I have a fondness for phat. The Phat Platypus has a can-do kind of ring to it, but I don’t think it’ll fly.

I also like punchy and perky (the Perky Penguin is a nice nostalgic option) and persistent (better than permanent, peerless or penultimate) and playful and plucky and poised. Others like prescient and peaceable and pervasive (!) and pivotal. Pukka rings a nice old-world bell, but it’s possibly pejorative.

As you can see, it’s been something of a challenge to get this right.

Let’s ask the question differently – what are we trying to convey? 12.04 is an LTS. So we want it to be tough and long-lasting, reliable, solid as a rock and well defended. It’s also going to be the face of Ubuntu for large deployments for a long time, so we want it to have no loose ends, we want it to be coherent, neat.

We’ve told the story of the cloud in previous releases, and that comes to fruition in 12.04 with the first LTS that supports both the cloud guest, and cloud infrastructure, across ARM and x86 architectures. We’ve also told the story of Unity in previous releases, and that comes to fruition in a fast, lean interface that works well across clients both thick and thin. 12.04 is going to be a lot more than all that, but for the full reveal, you’ll need to wait till UDS! Nevertheless, we can take reliability, precision, and polish as a given.

Balancing all of those options, I think we have just the right mix in our designated mascot for 12.04 LTS. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Precise Pangolin.

Now, I’ve recently spent a few hours tracking a pangolin through the Kalahari. I can vouch for their precision – there wasn’t an ant hill in the valley that he missed. Their scales are a wonder of detail and quite the fashion statement. I can also vouch for their toughness; pangolin’s regularly survive encounters with lions. All in all, a perfect fit. There’s no sassier character, and no more cheerful digger, anywhere in those desert plains. If you want a plucky partner, the pangolin’s your match. Let’s pack light for a wonderful adventure together. See you in Orlando!

pangolin.jpg

clav

I have a programmer friend who is running on 11.04 and dual boots with Windows 7.

Will GRUB create additional entries like in the past when he upgrades to 11.10?

I like some of the cosmetic changes.
I still don't like Unity. Just, stop trying to copy Mac OS X when you obviously cannot do as well. It's embarassing.

Well, guess I'll update on the 13th.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Apologies in advance but I am FAR from an expert on stuff like this:

This looks nice as hell. I'd love to use it but I've got some Windows-only stuff I need to use, so I'd be interested in doing a partition using Wubi as mentioned in the OP. I'm curious if this will have any performance repercussions. My computer is not bad but it's not a powerhouse either.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
last time I updated to Narwhal or whatever it was called. I couldn't use my wireless . It eventually started working again on its own though.
Not upgrading any time soon. My Ubuntu laptop is just a secondary ( or tertiary depending on how you count my devices) anyway.

But..this does look great.

Kintaco

Will it run worse than previous versions of Ubuntu? I have 9.something on a crappy Acer laptop with a Celeron CPU and it runs good.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot |OT| of Windows + OSX best features in free flavour

Except games and photoshop, respectively. *trollface.jpg*

Is there a LiveCD/DVD for it out? I may check it out, but I've always been a Debian flavor man.

Vanillalite

Alright so a few other things....

1. I tried to switch countdown banners as for some reason the official banner wasn't updating correctly

2. I forgot to go over the changes in the ME menu and such on the top right. I kept telling myself I was missing stuff, but with so much to cover I knew I'd forget something. Odd to because I kept being OCD about this being to short as I wasn't covering as much new stuff in this release, but the post turned out LONGER. LOL

Safe to safe you can click your name and get your usual drop down box of stuff, and it even shows a line that tells you if your update to do or have updates to install.

3. I also forgot to mention they sort of worked on some of the expose and workspace switching stuff. You'll see the subtle changes when you use it.

If I forgot anything else I'll sure to post later. Sorry GAFers.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Tribes of Trusty said:
the GIMP !

Which is a piece of shit for anyone that has used any photo manipulation program before it, but let's not go into that here.

Sebulon3k said:
Looking over the features, are there any reasons to use this over Windows 7 on a Desktop?
I've been using Ubuntu for the last 2 years. My reasons :
- Ubuntu is free. Windows is not.
- Ubuntu is stable. Windows ceases to be stable when you tinker around with it.
- Ubuntu is secure : there are far less viruses for it than Windows.
- Ubuntu manages the RAM differently than W7 and needs less : I got more out of my old computer (playing HD videos, etc) with Ubuntu than W7.
- Ubuntu is modulable : you can do whatever you want with it (personnalization, widgets, etc).
- Ubuntu is simple : a lot of things work now out-of-the box (even my X360 controller !) it's perfect if you have a basic usage of your computer.

But if you already have W7 on your computer and you are content with it, don't change. It is an excellent OS that I regularly use alongside Ubuntu.

Darkkn

Ubuntu is really neat and the OS itself is very pleasant, but the Achilles heel of Linux is still poor software catalogue. Ubuntu software store is great and all but there is not much good stuff to download.

It's pretty dumb that different Linux distros uses different software installers. It doesn't really give any benefit for users and makes it less attractive for developers.

ektoll

Ubuntu can be a great OS for people who don't really know how to use a computer. My parents for example: there's Firefox/chromium, very few virus/malwares, openoffice, you can increase the size of icons on the desktop and my father is addicted to the majong game!

There's also a lot of scientific softwares that run on UNIX systems (charmm for example) so a dual boot win/Linux on a Pc allows you to run those softwares easily and at a minimal cost.

BUT sometimes it can really be frustrating: on my laptop I have an ATI 5470 and an integrated Intel gpu; well ubuntu would'nt boot with the integrated card, and I could'n't find a way to switch card as I can under win7. :/
OP (very sweet thread btw) if you heard/read something about the gpu switch in 10.11, i'd be happy to hear it too!

Vanillalite

Kintaco said:
Will it run worse than previous versions of Ubuntu? I have 9.something on a crappy Acer laptop with a Celeron CPU and it runs good.

If you aren't on an LTS version I'd upgrade to either the current LTS or maybe to this. I say this because if you aren't on an LTS you probably aren't receiving any current updates.

If your system is slower then I'd probably recommend grabbing maybe Xubuntu instead or else just go with the current LTS which is 10.04 which should be supported through 2015.

Can I do a full system install with it? I did something funky updating 11.04 Ubuntu to Xubuntu and I have a shitload of KDE programs I don't need. Now I use Unity and I want to start from scratch.

Vanillalite

ChoklitReign said:
Can I do a full system install with it? I did something funky updating 11.04 Ubuntu to Xubuntu and I have a shitload of KDE programs I don't need. Now I use Unity and I want to start from scratch.

Yeah the installer has built in formatting tools and such. So you can just click and format the drive before you install if you wish. Then you'll be back to scratch.

May be a silly question but is there anyway I could install it from within Windows without any external media(DVD,USB)? Basically I want to partition my drive, load the OS and boot into it without using a DVD or USB.

cory.

Banned
iamshadowlark said:
May be a silly question but is there anyway I could install it from within Windows without any external media(DVD,USB)? Basically I want to partition my drive, load the OS and boot into it without using a DVD or USB.
Yes! The Wubi installer does that.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Great op! Can't wait to download the latest version.
iamshadowlark said:
The wubi installer will do this for you.

Vanillalite

iamshadowlark said:

Windows Installer (Wubi) Official Page!

It even has pics and stuff to show you how. It partitions and does all of that jazz for you. Then if you ever want to get rid of it you can just remove Ubuntu in the add remove programs in Windows. It's THAT easy.

PS: Sometimes the installer might not be as updated as fast as with the new version of Ubuntu, but usually it is. Just make sure you're installing 11.10 and not 11.04 when Thursday comes around. If it's not in the list then you can always manually download the .iso and tell wubi you already have the .iso downloaded.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
I will buy an ssd to my laptop and install it this weekend. I have been using oneiric on it since before alpha 2 so it probably needs a fresh reinstall.

I will probably keep running 10.10 on my desktop computer though.

Coen

Funny, I've just installed 11.04 yesterday on an old laptop with a faulty Vista install. It's ok for everyday use. I just can't seem to find a decent Usenet client for the life of me.

Vanillalite

Dimmuxx said:
I will buy an ssd to my laptop and install it this weekend. I have been using oneiric on it since before alpha 2 so it probably needs a fresh reinstall.

I will probably keep running 10.10 on my desktop computer though.

Honestly since XFCE 4.8 was so awesome if I wanted old school gnome without the frills I'd probably just run Xubuntu instead these days.

this is why i dont want to try out ubuntu. because there are a billion different version.

kubuntu? xubuntu? lubuntu? what is going on

Looks pretty.

I haven't used Linux since Mandrake in...2004 or so. I think it's time to add a 3rd boot option to my MacBook Pro. Just because.

Toby

Coen said:
Funny, I've just installed 11.04 yesterday on an old laptop with a faulty Vista install. It's ok for everyday use. I just can't seem to find a decent Usenet client for the life of me.
Would SABnzbd fit the bill?

The linux kernel still isn't as power efficient as Windows 7, right?
Would love to try it on my laptop, but battery life is pretty important to me.

Vanillalite

Damon Bennet said:
this is why i dont want to try out ubuntu. because there are a billion different version.

kubuntu? xubuntu? lubuntu? what is going on

Just try out Ubuntu, and you'll be fine. The others are just extra flavors, but for someone like yourself you can just try out the mainline version.

I swear, each animal released and I get all the more tempted to give this Wubi thing a whirl...

For fresh Linux gaming, well, there is this bit of exclusive doing. Alpha still, but if it keeps a good pace I reckon there is solid odds of it entering into the Big Lists.

http://tractionedge.sourceforge.net/

Traction Edge is a story driven, turn based strategy game set in a Steampunk Victorian England. Gameplay is similar to the Gollop Brothers UFO or Lasersquad series in that you have "Action Points" to spend during your turn. The game also borrows heavily from roguelikes in both look and feel.

Dead Man

Great OP, thanks. I keep meaning to get into a linux of some flavour, if I get my new rig built soon this might just be the kickstart I need.

mf.luder

I just got home from a trip in BC. Installing elementary OS right now on a banger rig.

BUT DAT WALLPAPER IN OP IS JUST

While this does look great I really REALLY hope they fix the speed and stability in this released.

I like Unity and all but 11.04 is SLOW and I always have programs crashing and freezing on me. Its worse than Windows XP in those regards.

Vanillalite

Flying_Phoenix said:
While this does look great I really REALLY hope they fix the speed and stability in this released.

I like Unity and all but 11.04 is SLOW and I always have programs crashing and freezing on me. Its worse than Windows XP in those regards.

If you install it I beg you to check out Unity 2d, and then compare it to the regular 3d unity. I think you might end up surprised.

markot

Banned
I liked it when I tried the beta.

My main problem with linux is that it sucks more power on my lappy than windows >.<

Also I have to keep rechiggaing my touch pad so 2 finger tap = middle click, not right click!

Brettison said:
If you install it I beg you to check out Unity 2d, and then compare it to the regular 3d unity. I think you might end up surprised.

What's the difference in terms of features?

And you know this by trying the beta I assume?

Vanillalite

Flying_Phoenix said:
What's the difference in terms of features?

And you know this by trying the beta I assume?

Yeah I tried this in the beta. Supposedly it was like this last release too, but Unity 3d was the only preinstalled. OG Gnome was the fall back. Now 2d Unity is the fall back.

They are pretty feature comparative, but they go at things a tad differently. 2d is slightly less flashly though it almost looks better in some aspects IMO.

Jadedx

Banned
So is this the version to get? I was told 10.10 was going to be great but I had tons of problems with that, then someone told me 11.04 was the bees knees but apparently it is the shittiest version they have come out with in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom