• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot |OT| of Windows + OSX best features in free flavour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Tribes of Trusty said:
Okay, GNOME3 is a bit weird...it's like they want to adapt all their software for the touchscreens.

Well at least it's really smooth and I can change back to classic GNOME anytime I want...

Come to the darkside and start using XFCE 4.8. It's basically everything cool about classic gnome in a modern package. Plus it's new and the most current version of XFCE so you'll still be getting full support (unlike classic gnome which isn't really getting updated anymore).

If you want to go the Ubuntu route you can use Xubuntu, but many other distros like Mint have XFCE versions as well.

Vanillalite

josephdebono said:
I did that. Gnome panels are not working like before so now I'm stuck with two 'unusable' layouts.
Everyone who isn't sold on Unity or Gnome Shell for Gnome 3 owes it to themselves to head on over to www.xubuntu.org! You can thank me later.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I upgraded last night and I think I like where Unity is heading. It isn't there yet, obviously, but I can see what they're trying to accomplish with the new UI.

Brettison said:
Come to the darkside and start using XFCE 4.8. It's basically everything cool about classic gnome in a modern package. Plus it's new and the most current version of XFCE so you'll still be getting full support (unlike classic gnome which isn't really getting updated anymore).

If you want to go the Ubuntu route you can use Xubuntu, but many other distros like Mint have XFCE versions as well.
Well I tried XFCE with my Ubuntu LTS on my netbook, and I quite liked it, except for the top bar plugins that didn't work or worked incorrectly (battery life, wifi signal, etc).

Vanillalite

Tribes of Trusty said:
Well I tried XFCE with my Ubuntu LTS on my netbook, and I quite liked it, except for the top bar plugins that didn't work or worked incorrectly (battery life, wifi signal, etc).

Which version of XFCE? Could have been something with XFCE 4.8 and the LTS. If your a LTS person maybe you could make the switch for the next release to Xubuntu to see how things are now.

dsister44

Fatalah said:
Thanks for the help. Auto-login works, but 2D Unity isn't sticking. What gives!

Another issue - I added Chromium to my startup list, but Ubuntu's left nav bar can't be accessed with the browser window maximized. This only happens on initial startup.
You have the most interesting problems. You know that right? :p

1. I looked around and couldn't find anyone with the same problem. I joined the Ubuntu irc channel and someone said remove the Unity package, but he wasn't even sure about it.

2. Again, no one has had this problem :p
a) You could replace Chromium with Chrome and see if that fixes the problem. (http://www.google.com/chrome)
b) Remove it from startup programs.

Sorry I couldn't be more help :(

Schlep

Anybody else having a problem with the permissions on lightdm? I'm having to drop to terminal and sudo lightdm every time I boot. Probably a simple fix for it, but I have no idea how.

Fatalah

dsister44 said:
You have the most interesting problems. You know that right? :p
Sorry I couldn't be more help :(

You've done more than enough, thanks Banjo! I'm running the OS on an Acer Aspire One netbook for a family member. (1 GB of RAM with a 1.5 gHz Atom processor) Performance is pretty solid, even under Unity 3D.

I've run into a peculiar problem. During the update my internet connection crapped out so I got an error message saying it might not work without problems. When I booted up my mouse was working perfectly at the login screen, but when I was logged in it wouldn't respond at all. I can still access programs and terminal through keyboard shortcuts, so there might be some hope. Is there any way I can fix this?

Ninja edit: It's an Acer Aspire One netbook.

Swag

Wow this looks so good with the Gnome interface instead of the Unity interface, Unity one still isn't that bad.

Vanillalite

Snytbaggen said:
I've run into a peculiar problem. During the update my internet connection crapped out so I got an error message saying it might not work without problems. When I booted up my mouse was working perfectly at the login screen, but when I was logged in it wouldn't respond at all. I can still access programs and terminal through keyboard shortcuts, so there might be some hope. Is there any way I can fix this?

Ninja edit: It's an Acer Aspire One netbook.

Try and finish updating in the terminal...

Type any of these and see:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Also try adding this if that doesn't work

Code:
sudo apt-get update -f
sudo apt-get upgrade -f

Brettison said:
Try and finish updating in the terminal...

Type any of these and see:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Also try adding this if that doesn't work

Code:
sudo apt-get update -f
sudo apt-get upgrade -f

Huh, weird... When I booted up Ubuntu again the mouse worked. Thanks anyway!

dsister44

Schlep said:
Anybody else having a problem with the permissions on lightdm? I'm having to drop to terminal and sudo lightdm every time I boot. Probably a simple fix for it, but I have no idea how.
I can't really think straight atm but maybe if you enable auto-login?

Vanillalite

Schlep said:

No issues with LightDM here sorry. Sounds like something borked permissions wise during setup.

Swag

itxaka said:
If you want your windows partitions to be already mounted you would need to edit /etc/fstab

If you just want to mount them temporarily, they should appear in places and a double click will mount them automatically until the next restart.
I missed this somehow sorry, I did it wrong.

I was under the assumption that Ubuntu would automatically create and partition enough space for itself during the Wubi install, however it doesn't actually do that. So I just installed it on the same partition as my Windows install, so I'm guessing I have to give permission to access files in my "host" folder which has all the windows files, otherwise nothing from there will be able to run in a Ubuntu application.

Argh I need help, I want to install Xubuntu but first I need to backup my data in my /home/myname folder, but I can't access it (the folder icon has a cross "X" on it and when I try to open it it displays an error message (Permission denied)).
Does anyone know how I can access that particular folder ? Thanks.

peakish

Tribes of Trusty said:
Argh I need help, I want to install Xubuntu but first I need to backup my data in my /home/myname folder, but I can't access it (the folder icon has a cross "X" on it and when I try to open it it displays an error message (Permission denied)).
Try to do it as root. sudo nautilus.

Vanillalite

Tribes of Trusty said:

Did you click to encrypt it during the install? I bet that's exactly what happened.

benjipwns

Banned
Nobody cares but I fixed this:
benjipwns said:
-Related, every time I restart this one PPA keeps reappearing despite me removing it.
Even though the program was no longer installed the ppa package still was for some reason, had to uninstall that through the software center and the sources went away.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a super Linux noob, but I have 11.10 installed on my laptop. Is there any way for me to get the Unity task bar to not disappear when I maximize windows? I'd like it to be locked on the left side of my screen.

I posted this on Ubuntuforums and haven't had a reply for 2 days

My laptop touchpad was too slow, even after editing system settings, so I used the Synaptik xorg.conf tweak. I rebooted and now it's stuck on the 5-dot screen and NEVER gets past. How did I fuck up?

Mr_Zombie

I switched to Ubuntu 11.10 yesterday since I replace my HDD in my notebook and I needed a Linux system. I've been using Ubuntu 11.04 before so the Unity interface doesn't bother me (actually I like it) but holy batman is the Unity 3D in Ubuntu 11.10 fucking slow. Like really really slow. The whole system is lagging even after I've installed proprietary drivers (ATI card here), turned off v-sync everywhere I could (ccmp, ccc) and turned off all effects I could without breaking Unity. It still lags as hell and the CPU usage very often jumps to 80-100% even though I just browse Internet and the only application running in the background is dropbox and banshee. :/.

Ubuntu 11.04 run great and I remember having even few compiz flashy effects turned on in Ubuntu 10.10. I have no idea what the hell happened here.

I've tried Unity 2d and it did run faster and smoother, but lack of options to customize the side bar (I don't want 48px icons, seriously) and no snap window function (Windows 7 spoiled me) really turns me off :(. And Gnome 3 is just freaking out on my laptop: random letters are missing and whenever I try to open main panel a green screen flashes first.

leroidys

Mr_Zombie said:
I switched to Ubuntu 11.10 yesterday since I replace my HDD in my notebook and I needed a Linux system. I've been using Ubuntu 11.04 before so the Unity interface doesn't bother me (actually I like it) but holy batman is the Unity 3D in Ubuntu 11.10 fucking slow. Like really really slow. The whole system is lagging even after I've installed proprietary drivers (ATI card here), turned off v-sync everywhere I could (ccmp, ccc) and turned off all effects I could without breaking Unity. It still lags as hell and the CPU usage very often jumps to 80-100% even though I just browse Internet and the only application running in the background is dropbox and banshee. :/.

Ubuntu 11.04 run great and I remember having even few compiz flashy effects turned on in Ubuntu 10.10. I have no idea what the hell happened here.

I've tried Unity 2d and it did run faster and smoother, but lack of options to customize the side bar (I don't want 48px icons, seriously) and no snap window function (Windows 7 spoiled me) really turns me off :(. And Gnome 3 is just freaking out on my laptop: random letters are missing and whenever I try to open main panel a green screen flashes first.

This is a bug for some multi core amd processors IIRC. :(

santouras

bah, I just removed my linux partition as it was causing my laptop to randomly restart and now this is tempting me to try it again.

Okay after what I felt like a disaster with Oneiric Ocelot, I installed Xubuntu. The problem is that I really prefer GNOME (classic) which have some options that make my life easier (like mounting a iso file really simply). Also XFCE tends to have a lot of graphical glitches with my desktop computer, so I guess I'll go back to Ubuntu with Gnome Classic (or a LTS install).

Effect

Downloading the latest version of Ubuntu and going to be jumping back in. I messed around with some in college and other Linux OS via their Live CDs. Partly because I was curious and since I was also learning Linux at the time. Since I'm going to be done with any new PC gaming I figured I might as well install this along side Windows since that's possible now. PC gaming was the only thing holding me back from making a complete jump but that's no longer an issue going forward. However will keep both OS on the machine for what games I do have. Going straight for the 64bit version. Figured it might be best since I should be running a 64bit version of Windows anyway with my setup but that install took place before my upgrade. No excuse not to now. Any issues out there regarding the 64bit vs the 32bit version?

dsister44

After using it for a few weeks. I have to say, it isn't for me. And I really don't like the way that the Ubuntu team is heading here.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's been about 5 years since I've run Linux as a desktop system. I do admin Linux servers regularly. I'm approaching this with an eye towards running Ubuntu as a desktop OS, so if I seem intolerant of needing to "tweak" stuff excessively, it reflects the fact that I'm very specifically trying to use this to do desktop stuff.

Impressions live as I go along...

- The Ubuntu font is really nice.

- Installer was quick and easy to use. Installed Ubuntu alongside Windows, offered me the opportunity to import my Windows user account, very cool. Did not offer an easy way to join a Windows domain. Will have to Google that later.

- When the installer ended and I had to reboot, the GUI dropped off and I got a terminal screen with a bunch of process shutdown stuff. This is ugly and I have no idea why it is required.

- The bootloader is hideous, with the purple background. No idea what they were thinking here. The Windows black-on-white bootloader is not attractive, but it's better than this. Will have to Google a way to customize this later.

- Login screen looks great!

- Dual monitors are currently mirroring, never got the option to unmirror them. That's fine. System Settings -> Displays -> This was easy to use, no problem. Later on I discover that the gear icon in the top-right hand corner gives you a quick link to Displays as well. Neat. One weird thing is that sometimes a program will be running in one monitor and the dialog boxes opened by that program will launch in another monitor. Hmm. Will have to Google this later.

- My HP LaserJet P1006 printer was automatically detected, which is great. It opened a terminal Window and reminded me that the HP driver is OMG NOT FREE SOFTWARE. A bit stupid that I had to agree to HP's license to use my printer, but overall very easy to configure.

- My AMD video card has optional drivers to install using the Ubuntu Add Drivers dialog box, which is nice to look at and easy to use. I can choose between "post-release updates" or regular flavours of the driver, no difference between the two is given, but I picked post-release updates. Sorry, installation of this driver failed. Please have a look at the log file for details: /var/log/jockey.log. Okay, well, my display drivers are working fine for now, I'll get back to this later after some Googling.

- How do I turn off the stupid indicators in the top-right hand corner? I have one physical network connection, I don't need an icon showing it's connected. Check "Edit Connections", which is where any other operating system would have turning off the icon. Nope; okay, I'll Google how to turn it off later.

- Software Centre is a bit slow to start up. Not really sure why.

- Chrome is not in the Ubuntu Software Centre. Chromium is. Err, okay. I want Chrome. There's pay software in Ubuntu Software Centre so I can't imagine it's a non-free licensing issue. http://chrome.google.com and from here I can download it. I get a .deb file, which I double-click in the file manager. It tries to open in Ubuntu Software Centre and it fails. Internal Error, the file "/home/stump/Downloads/google .... could not be opened. Fine, I'll use dpkg. sudo dpkg -i the file. Dependency problems, yay! Not really sure why Ubuntu Software Centre wouldn't resolve this. Not really sure why dpkg wouldn't resolve this automatically. Anyway, sudo apt-get -f install worked. Okay, how do I pin Chrome to the launcher instead of Firefox? Right click Firefox, uncheck "Keep in Launcher", good. Right click empty part of Dash -> Nope. Dash -> Right click Chrome... Nope. Run Chrome, right click Chrome icon, ah, there we go. Yeah, that makes sense. They should probably make the context menu available on the Dash as well.

- Dropbox is in Ubuntu Software Centre. Install process seems pretty simple. Dropbox requires Nautilus to be restarted to function properly. Oh, okay. What's Nautilus? Google: It's the file manager for Gnome desktop? I thought Ubuntu ditched Gnome for Unity. Oh, okay, I can look that up later. Click restart Nautilus. Nothing happens. Click Next, because I guess it's working? Click Start Dropbox.

- Holy shit, 245 updates. Okay, well, I guess most of them are small. Need to restart computer when updates complete. Shutdown does not boot me back to terminal, has an Ubuntu logo against a purple background (ugh). Printer inexplicably spools up when Ubuntu starts. Oh, now my displays are mirroring again. Why? Okay, uncheck mirroring. "Required virtual size does not fit available size". I'm guessing this is related to the possibly botched video card driver install above? Okay, I guess I'll track down Catalyst. There's an administrative copy and a non-administrative copy, so I'll run administrative? Oh, I see, it's listed as a Cloned display in here. I guess I should modify things here instead of in the system Display options? Fine, set to multi display. Press Apply. ATI Catalyst manager closes, but I still have a cloned display. Okay, try again, same thing. Apply closes Catalyst but doesn't apply the change. Googled, someone else had the same bug. Tried both solutions, neither worked. And no, I shouldn't have to edit my X11 config file to make something work. Maybe I can remove the ATI drivers and just go back to the default? *sigh* Okay, we'll leave this for now, and I'll just turn off my right monitor.

Okay, well, I have to reboot back into Windows to do a few things. I guess we'll do Chapter 2 of my Ubuntu desktop adventure tomorrow.

^Only kernel updates require a boot and I just disregard that until I shutdown anyway. ATI drivers are a bitch though. At some point, my weekly rutine was apply updates, restart computer, fix xorg.conf manually, reboot and that was on NVidia drivers :)

So I have been on Ubuntu 8.10 (lulz) since it came out (wasn't worth updating on this computer) but recently I have fiddled around on 11.10 and Unity is unbearable. First thing I did was to install Gnome 3 but have tried to get used to Unity as it might be the flavor of future but it's so awful. Everything is slow and cumbersome that I can't just stand it.

It's takes years to open/find programs, managing windows is impossible, hell it's pain enough to get the sidebar to show up. I hate it.

I kind of like unity in concept, but I was surprised that they are shoving something that's so far from maturity down people's throats.

benjipwns

Banned
- When the installer ended and I had to reboot, the GUI dropped off and I got a terminal screen with a bunch of process shutdown stuff. This is ugly and I have no idea why it is required.

Shutdown does not boot me back to terminal, has an Ubuntu logo against a purple background (ugh).
Yeah, this seems almost random to me, sometimes you'll get the terminal, other times it will hide it behind the Ubuntu logo. On rare occasions you'll get both the terminal and the five progress dots! I consider that to be winning the shutdown process.

I think you're supposed to just get the logo and the progress dots but it doesn't work like it's supposed to.

Vanillalite

^Only kernel updates require a boot and I just disregard that until I shutdown anyway. ATI drivers are a bitch though. At some point, my weekly rutine was apply updates, restart computer, fix xorg.conf manually, reboot and that was on NVidia drivers :)

So I have been on Ubuntu 8.10 (lulz) since it came out (wasn't worth updating on this computer) but recently I have fiddled around on 11.10 and Unity is unbearable. First thing I did was to install Gnome 3 but have tried to get used to Unity as it might be the flavor of future but it's so awful. Everything is slow and cumbersome that I can't just stand it.

It's takes years to open/find programs, managing windows is impossible, hell it's pain enough to get the sidebar to show up. I hate it.

You really should try a different version on an older comp. Quite frankly I wouldn't use the latest regular version of Ubuntu or Fedora with Gnome 3. I'd personally go and try out Xubuntu and see if that runs better. It functions a lot like Gnome 2.3 (not 100% but close IMO), and can be found @ http://www.xubuntu.org!

I kind of like unity in concept, but I was surprised that they are shoving something that's so far from maturity down people's throats.

I've talked about this in other threads, but what Canonical needs to do is push the LTS to the general public. I know the general public for Linux users isn't usually the same as the regular public, but I still think it would be a big step for them if they tried to push the LTS version to the public at large. They could keep on the 6th month cycle, but keep those interum releases as sort of some form of a testing/beta/dev ground. Then any new concepts they plan to really push to the public could start right after an LTS release and they'd have a full 18 months to try and refine things.

Fatalah

My laptop has a 64-bit Core i5 processor; Should I install the 64-bit version of Ubuntu, or is the 32-bit a safer bet?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I've posted this on the Ubuntu forums as well, but what the hell it couldn't hurt to ask here as well. I'm attempting to install Mac, Windows 7 and Ubuntu on my Macbook. Everything goes fine when I install Mac and Windows, but when I install Ubuntu after that it seems to create a minuscule new partition at the top of my partition list. This new partition does not show up in Mac's "diskutil list" or its Ubuntu equivalent, it only shows up when Windows 7 prompts me to select an installation partition.

Why is this problematic you may ask? Because the new partition is designated as a Primary partition, and I can only have four of those. This new partition plus EFI, Mac, and Ubuntu proper is my four, so then my previously created Windows 7 partition gets kicked to being "free space".

And finally if I delete the new tiny partition and re-install Windows then I can boot to Windows but I get an "error: no such partition" when I try to boot to Ubuntu so I'm assuming that the tiny partition contains something vital. It seems that Ubuntu takes two primary partition slots, which is...well...bullshit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom