• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot |OT| of Windows + OSX best features in free flavour

Status
Not open for further replies.

peakish

Jadedx said:
So is this the version to get? I was told 10.10 was going to be great but I had tons of problems with that, then someone told me 11.04 was the bees knees but apparently it is the shittiest version they have come out with in years.
Most (including me, once they patched a wireless problem) seem to agree on 10.10 being great but there's always the possibility of something breaking which is a shame. It shouldn't be worse than 11.04 if you're using that. But real stability should come only in 12.04 which is Long Term Support.

I still think Canonical should do a better job in separating LTS versions from non-LTS. While bugs are fixed and new features improved to stable states not everyone should be recommended to run them, especially with the risk of problems appearing after upgrades.

Damon Bennet said:
this is why i dont want to try out ubuntu. because there are a billion different version.

kubuntu? xubuntu? lubuntu? what is going on
Don't worry about them. They're just different flavours of the same thing, changing Gnome for some other popular environments for people who know they want them. Vanilla Ubuntu is the recommended alternative (it's also the only one easily available from their webpage).

Sebulon3k said:
Looking over the features, are there any reasons to use this over Windows 7 on a Desktop?
Feature wise I don't think there's a golden bullet making Linux distributions better than Windows (except the freedom in changing the desktop to however you want it to work and getting free upgrades). I like a lot of Linux software (like media players) better than in Windows, prefer the general window management (like being able to scroll in non-selected windows), plus the workflow of workspaces and Gnome Shell. YMMV.

Man, this thread makes me want to go back to Ubuntu. I disliked Unity when I upgraded to 11.04 but now I'm thinking that I should give it another chance. I'm about to upgrade my laptop and I want to try something new, so I'm thinking either switching to another distro or going back to Ubuntu (I switched to Windows for a few months and now I'm ready to go back).

Nice, I need a dev box around now that I'm freelancing. I'll give it a whirl.

Edit: or better yet, I'll just make a VirtualBox image for it

I need some advice here : I need to burn about ~50 CDs, does anybody know a program which would automate the process, I'd put the number of copies I want and the only thing I'd need to do is swapping the blank CDs in the writer. Thanks.

tirant

Tribes of Trusty said:
I need some advice here : I need to burn about ~50 CDs, does anybody know a program which would automate the process, I'd put the number of copies I want and the only thing I'd need to do is swapping the blank CDs in the writer. Thanks.

Any decent burning software will support that once you tell it to make 50 copies. (Nero, infrarecorder...)

neoanarch

Tribes of Trusty said:

On Ubuntu? I'm not on my ubuntu desktop but I'm pretty sure the default one does that.

Dilli666

K3B can burn several copies but I don't know if the program is expecting user input after each cd. It's available in the repositorys but will need some kde-libaries. Runs fine under gnome though...

Zeppu

Would it, by any chance, be possible to upgrade from 10.04 to this? I really don't feel like wasting a couple of days setting up my development environment after a fresh install...

Brasero can do multiple copies of one disc, but it crashes when I try to
ib2qMi.png

Dilli666

josephdebono said:
Would it, by any chance, be possible to upgrade from 10.04 to this? I really don't feel like wasting a couple of days setting up my development environment after a fresh install...

I would recommend to skip this release and wait for the next LTS which is 12.04 next April.
Then there will be an direct update available via the update manager.

For 11.10 you would have to go to 10.10 and then 11.04 first.

Zeppu

Dilli666 said:
I would recommend to skip this release and wait for the next LTS which is 12.04 next April.

If I do an upgrade a day starting today I will catch up with you fancy schmancy up-to-date bastards!

Vagabundo

oh damn. That looks good. I've about 5 different machines with different versions of ubuntu on them. I need to have a think about what I'm going to use the for. I love Open Source.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
peakish said:
Most (including me, once they patched a wireless problem) seem to agree on 10.10 being great but there's always the possibility of something breaking which is a shame. It shouldn't be worse than 11.04 if you're using that. But real stability should come only in 12.04 which is Long Term Support.

I still think Canonical should do a better job in separating LTS versions from non-LTS. While bugs are fixed and new features improved to stable states not everyone should be recommended to run them, especially with the risk of problems appearing after upgrades

I've actually thought about this as well a ton as of late. I'd pretty much fully agree, and will post more on the topic when I get time.

Though I'll admit since like 9.10 I've had no major hardware issues like some so I've always updated. It can be a YMMV type thing though.

Polari

First thing I do...

apt-get install gnome-shell banshee evolution
apt-get remove unity rhythmbox thunderbird

The way IM works in gnome-shell is the new hotness and the journal extension for gnome-shell is equally great, start your photocopiers Cupertino and Redmond. The new Software Centre is pretty decent, but it renders text within pretty unattractively on my PC for some reason.

Polari

FunkyPajamas said:
Man, this thread makes me want to go back to Ubuntu. I disliked Unity when I upgraded to 11.04 but now I'm thinking that I should give it another chance. I'm about to upgrade my laptop and I want to try something new, so I'm thinking either switching to another distro or going back to Ubuntu (I switched to Windows for a few months and now I'm ready to go back).

It's got even worse in the interval. gnome-shell on the other hand is freaking awesome.

Polari

FunkyPajamas said:
Damn, really? So Fedora it is I guess.

YMMV, but I hate in particular the fact that where you previously hit to open the dash they've put the close button when a window is maximised. I'm using gnome-shell on Ubuntu and like it, so that's an option too. It integrates fine after some minor tweaking. I'm hoping someone does a gnome-shell Ubuntu spin soon enough so I can recommend that to people.

Angry Fork

I tried to use that wubi installer thing to try out ubuntu but it doesn't work on my computer for some reason. It says some hard drive error when I try to boot it. I can't remember what it was unfortunately I'd have to check when I get home. I tried googling tons of times trying to find solutions/figure out what the deal was but lots of people said the installer is just finicky with Windows 7 or something.

Polari said:
YMMV, but I hate in particular the fact that where you previously hit to open the dash they've put the close button when a window is maximised. I'm using gnome-shell on Ubuntu and like it, so that's an option too. It integrates fine after some minor tweaking. I'm hoping someone does a gnome-shell Ubuntu spin soon enough so I can recommend that to people.

I'm surprised that hasn't happened yet. Every version of Unity has been a heaping pile of crap and I don't understand why Canonical is still going down that route other than to look like OS X.

typo said:
I'm surprised that hasn't happened yet. Every version of Unity has been a heaping pile of crap and I don't understand why Canonical is still going down that route other than to look like OS X.
You know, this is what I hate the most about it to be honest. I understand OSX looks good but in my opinion it's a very rigid piece of software. It's very hard to make it work the way you want it and most of the time the apps to customize the functionality are not free, so that's why I dislike it. So it bothers me that Ubuntu is trying to go that way. I'd rather they stuck with Gnome.

Zeppu

Dilli666 said:

Done and done :D :D

Cleaning up before restarting into 11.04 as we speak. Woohoo!

Vanillalite

josephdebono said:
Lol, no I'm alive.

I don't like unity though :(
Wait and judge unity tomorrow in 11.10. It's not perfect, but it's way better than in 11.04. Plus if you have speed issues I implore you to try 2d Unity which comes with the default install/upgrade in 11.10.

Zeppu

Brettison said:
Wait and judge unity tomorrow in 11.10. It's not perfect, but it's way better than in 11.04. Plus if you have speed issues I implore you to try 2d Unity which comes with the default install/upgrade in 11.10.

Why do i already have this?

AEhe4.png

Pctx

Banned
Seriously Bret, great OP. :)

I'm actually backed off my hatred of all things Ubuntu after installing the nightly the other day. Unity is FINALLY polished!

Swag

Been messing around with this on a laptop at work, really liking the way it feels / runs. Will probably install it on my home desktop today so I can play around with it more.

The Failed Dependency errors that I get when I try to install anything are somewhat frustrating though.

Pctx

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
Been messing around with this on a laptop at work, really liking the way it feels / runs. Will probably install it on my home desktop today so I can play around with it more.

The Failed Dependency errors that I get when I try to install anything are somewhat frustrating though.
switch from apt-get to aptitude and your trouble will be gone. Course if you don't have the PPA in your list then you're SOL to begin with.

Vanillalite

Pctx said:
Seriously Bret, great OP. :)

I'm actually backed off my hatred of all things Ubuntu after installing the nightly the other day. Unity is FINALLY polished!
It's far from perfect, and I'm not 110% sold on unity yet. That being said it IS way more polished in it's second main desktop iteration. So that's why I suggested if you hated Unity before to give it another try.

Plus 2d Unity wasn't preinstalled before, and it is now which is something else to try out as well.

PS: Hmmm did they push 11.10 early or did you try and manually upgrade ergo you got the notice and it's gonna update to the latest nightly poster 2 posts above?!?!?

Vanillalite

Pctx said:
switch from apt-get to aptitude and your trouble will be gone. Course if you don't have the PPA in your list then you're SOL to begin with.
Why would you use either when the software center does everything for you now? :p

Swag

Pctx said:
I ran apt-get-f which is supposed to fix broken repositories, according to the Ubuntu Wiki

I hope my boss isn't gonna be mad, it seems to be removing a shit ton of stuff
Brettison said:
Why would you use either when the software center does everything for you now? :p
Wasn't allowed to use the software center to install / work with the OS. Only allowed to use the Terminal

Hmm seems like it removed all the software that was installed on here :<

Vanillalite

I'm surprised they even let you do this. Most work places won't let you lone ranger like you are doing. It's cool you can though!

Pctx

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
I ran apt-get-f which is supposed to fix broken repositories, according to the Ubuntu Wiki

I hope my boss isn't gonna be mad, it seems to be removing a shit ton of stuff

Wasn't allowed to use the software center to install / work with the OS. Only allowed to use the Terminal

Hmm seems like it removed all the software that was installed on here :<
You using a headless server? If so that makes sense. My suggestion is still use aptitude as it resolves the issues without you having to think about it.

Swag

Brettison said:
I'm surprised they even let you do this. Most work places won't let you lone ranger like you are doing. It's cool you can though!
Well it's an internship and my boss is probably too busy to work with me throughout the entire work day, so one project is learning to use Linux.
Pctx said:
You using a headless server? If so that makes sense. My suggestion is still use aptitude as it resolves the issues without you having to think about it.
No idea what a headless server is, but I think I deleted my user permissions when I ran "sudo apt-get-f" because I can't access basic things like the terminal / software center. They don't even come up when I search in Unity.

Pctx

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
Well it's an internship and my boss is probably too busy to work with me throughout the entire work day, so one project is learning to use Linux.

No idea what a headless server is, but I think I deleted my user permissions when I ran "sudo apt-get-f" because I can't access basic things like the terminal / software center. They don't even come up when I search in Unity.
headless simply means a server without a UI/Desktop presentation. If you're using a Linux machine with Gnome or Unity then that is a not a headless system. :)

Vanillalite

IDK using Ubuntu without the Software Center is a major block and and a half. This is doubly true for 11.10 since synpatic isn't preinstalled anymore, and they expect you to use the software center. Software center + update manager = easy program downloads + updates. Having to use the terminal for desktop stuff would kind of suck.

Swag

Pctx said:
headless simply means a server without a UI/Desktop presentation. If you're using a Linux machine with Gnome or Unity then that is a not a headless system. :)
Gotcha, sorry I'm pretty new to the Linux OS, only messed around with 10.1 slightly in my OS class / at home.
Brettison said:
IDK using Ubuntu without the Software Center is a major block and and a half. This is doubly true for 11.10 since synpatic isn't preinstalled anymore, and they expect you to use the software center. Software center + update manager = easy program downloads + updates. Having to use the terminal for desktop stuff would kind of suck.
His intentions were probably for me to just learn to the terminal commands, in a real situation I doubt that he'd make me use the terminal exclusively, the laptop that I'm using though is running 11.04 still, hasn't been upgraded yet.

Pctx

Banned
Brettison said:
I'm too used to it to give it up. Besides... who likes being told what to do. ;)

I'm not interested in Linux as a daily use OS, but I really want to learn driver and graphics programming in it, plus make some web development projects.
Do any of the Linux developers in here recommend Ubuntu for tinkering and learning Linux architecture, or should I go with one of the more serious distros out there that have more advanced development options?

Pctx

Banned
HellKarnassus said:
I'm not interested in Linux as a daily use OS, but I really want to learn driver and graphics programming in it, plus make some web development projects.
Do any of the Linux developers in here recommend Ubuntu for tinkering and learning Linux architecture, or should I go with one of the more serious distros out there that have more advanced development options?
The only two serious distros out there are Ubuntu and Fedora IMO. Go with what you feel comfortable with.

Vanillalite

HellKarnassus said:

Honestly they all pretty much have the same in terms of development options. Only difference is what might come preinstalled.

Anything specific you are looking for programming wise?

Pctx said:
The only two serious distros out there are Ubuntu and Fedora IMO. Go with what you feel comfortable with.
Alright, I will begin with Ubuntu and see if it is actually developer-friendly

Brettison said:
Anything specific you are looking for programming wise?
I'm most interested in programming device drivers right now, but I have to first learn about the Linux kernel API and OS architecture, which hopefully is standard in all Linux distros (this is my main concern).

The other thing is web development in Python/PHP, it would also be sweet to be able to mount a small server and host a low-medium traffic site in there. Is this possible with Ubuntu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom