• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot |OT| of Windows + OSX best features in free flavour

Status
Not open for further replies.

androvsky

HellKarnassus said:
Alright, I will begin with Ubuntu and see if it is actually developer-friendly

I'm most interested in programming device drivers right now, but I have to first learn about the Linux kernel API and OS architecture, which hopefully is standard in all Linux distros (this is my main concern).

The other thing is web development in Python/PHP, it would also be sweet to be able to mount a small server and host a low-medium traffic site in there. Is this possible with Ubuntu?

I did some driver development in Ubuntu. Since the Linux kernel (and therefore the drivers) is all that Linux actually is, by definition it's pretty much the same between distributions. There's some political issues surrounding distributing firmware required for some drivers, but for the most part it's going to be pretty stable between distros.

The thing you have to watch out for is the kernel API can change from version to version (but usually only a couple things change at a time), so you have to watch the kernel changelogs to make sure the API you're using isn't in the middle of a redesign and mostly broken. http://kernelnewbies.org/ is a really good resource if you're wanting to get started.

As for the small webserver, that's also something I did in Ubuntu a long time ago (set up a small website with phpbb forums), shouldn't be too hard. There should be plenty of tutorials on setting up Apache in Ubuntu.

I wouldn't put the server on the same system as the driver development, since screwing up a driver can and will force you to reboot.

edit: don't forget you have to install the build-essential package to do any development in Ubuntu. Only takes a few seconds, but it's really annoying when dealing with a fresh install. :(

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If you can install Ubuntu server for your site it's easy as funk. During the server install it asks you now if you want to install some common stuff, and one of the choices is a lamp stack. So apache, MySQL, and PHP are preinstalled and hooked together automatically. Makes setting up a website easy.

beje

Banned
I've been running the beta for a couple of weeks and it works great. At first I thought I wouldn't get used to Unity but now I love it.

Vanillalite

For those that wonder Canonical is based out of London and they usually through the release up pretty early in the working morning. You can judge based on that when you think the .iso will release for the final version.

Swag

Brettison said:
For those that wonder Canonical is based out of London and they usually through the release up pretty early in the working morning. You can judge based on that when you think the .iso will release for the final version.
So no point staying up till midnight to get the Wubi installer?

An-Det

I cant wait to try it out. I'll download it tonight/tomorrow and do a fresh install on one of my laptops that has been dying for it. I love the smell of ubuntu in the morning.

itxaka

Defeatist
Great work on the OP Brett!

You can already download the daily iso, as there would be no changes from that one to the final one but the name of the file.

Good to see that Thunderbird is becoming the new default email client... But uggh I hate Unity.

Thunderbird 5 is amazing. Finally it looks like an email client that could substitute outlook in usability and speed. Shame that it still doesn't support exchange 2003+ without a lot of tinkering. Damn Microsoft!

First thing I do...

apt-get install gnome-shell banshee evolution
apt-get remove unity rhythmbox thunderbird

The way IM works in gnome-shell is the new hotness and the journal extension for gnome-shell is equally great, start your photocopiers Cupertino and Redmond. The new Software Centre is pretty decent, but it renders text within pretty unattractively on my PC for some reason.

Ugh. Give Thunderbird a try, believe me. It works much better than evolution in the last release.

wsippel

Banned
HellKarnassus said:
I'm not interested in Linux as a daily use OS, but I really want to learn driver and graphics programming in it, plus make some web development projects.
Do any of the Linux developers in here recommend Ubuntu for tinkering and learning Linux architecture, or should I go with one of the more serious distros out there that have more advanced development options?
If you want to tinker and dive deep, use gentoo. Be aware though that installing gentoo might take quite a while, as it's compiling the whole operating system from source, tailored to your needs and architecture: http://www.gentoo.org/

Sophia

I'm running it off a USB stick right now. Unity is much improved from 11.04, although some aspects of the menu I still can't stand. Also Empathy is garbage, as usual. Thank god for Pidgin.

If Wine performance is good, I'll probably use this as my main OS. The main three applications I'm looking to try are Spotify, World of Warcraft, and Ventrlio. I know Ventrlio works.

Sophia

Flying_Phoenix said:
How speedy is it?

Compared to 11.04, 10.10, and 09.04?

I only ran 11.04 for a short time, and I can't compare boot up times cause I'm running this off a USB stick, but the interface itself is very responsive. No more slow loading searches, for example, in Unity.

Wine is taking forever to download, tho. :\

Sophia

Yeouch. Spotify causes the entire desktop to disappear when I run it. Goddamnit Wine, why can't you simply Just Work?

On top of that, I can't seem to log into Spotify at all. Hmm...

Time to try the most important application: WoW

peakish

Marrshu said:
Yeouch. Spotify causes the entire desktop to disappear when I run it. Goddamnit Wine, why can't you simply Just Work?

On top of that, I can't seem to log into Spotify at all. Hmm...

Time to try the most important application: WoW
That's too bad, Spotify worked perfectly with Wine last I tried it. That was a long time ago since there's a native preview client for premium subscribers (though I'm heading back to Unlimited next month so I hope it works with Wine by then!).

One thing I don't like about the new Unity version is that the Dash button isn't in the top right corner anymore so you can't just swing the cursor up there and click without aiming. Gnome Shell gets it with a hot corner + being able to click there.

Sophia

peakish said:
That's too bad, Spotify worked perfectly with Wine last I tried it. That was a long time ago since there's a native preview client for premium subscribers (though I'm heading back to Unlimited next month so I hope it works with Wine by then!).

One thing I don't like about the new Unity version is that the Dash button isn't in the top right corner anymore so you can't just swing the cursor up there and click without aiming. Gnome Shell gets it with a hot corner + being able to click there.

I've always had horrible experiences with Wine, and unfortunately, if I don't have access to certain Windows programs, I can't make use Ubuntu no matter how badly I want to switch.

EDIT: Yup, World of Warcraft's performance was subpar. Around 20-30 FPS average in an area where I get 60+ on Windows. Unacceptable, guess I'm going back to 32-bit windows. *sigh*

peakish

Marrshu said:
I've always had horrible experiences with Wine, and unfortunately, if I don't have access to certain Windows programs, I can't make use Ubuntu no matter how badly I want to switch.

EDIT: Yup, World of Warcraft's performance was subpar. Around 20-30 FPS average in an area where I get 60+ on Windows. Unacceptable, guess I'm going back to 32-bit windows. *sigh*
Too bad. I generally neither trust Wine to run stuff properly, especially heavy stuff like games which I reboot to and run in Windows (though apparently Rage runs really well in Wine since it's opengl, haha). I certainly wouldn't accept 30fps if I knew I should be getting more.

leroidys

God damn it's going to take 9 hours to download the new packages. Has it been going incredibly slowly for anyone else? Such a pain in the ass not to be able to use terminal for the rest of the day...

Sophia

leroidys said:
God damn it's going to take 9 hours to download the new packages. Has it been going incredibly slowly for anyone else? Such a pain in the ass not to be able to use terminal for the rest of the day...

Yeah it was going super slow for me. Took me almost an hour just to download Wine.

Vanillalite

Marrshu said:

That's why you dual boot. Dual booting is so easy these days it's one of the main reasons I could give a funk about wine.

leroidys said:

You can run multiple terminal instances ya know. :p

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Running into a problem. I discovered that my touchpad doesn't work. I found a way to enable it with some terminal commands but it probably wasn't the best way. It's also pretty sluggish and non-sensitive. Finally, I can't use the touchpad to bring up the dash on the left.

Help?

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Brettison said:
That's why you dual boot. Dual booting is so easy these days it's one of the main reasons I could give a funk about wine.

You can run multiple terminal instances ya know. :p
Ghetto dude, use screen.

Most of my coworkers disabled unity but I trudged through. Looking forward to the new changes.

Sophia

Brettison said:

I tried that before, it resulted in me staying in Windows most of the time, because it had the few essential apps that I couldn't run on Linux. :\

Plus, I'd have to reinstall Windows anyhow to dual boot. My harddrive is pretty filled up.

Red

How does Banshee compare to Guayadeque?

Also, anymore general impressions? I'm thinking about swapping out my Linux Mint drive for this new Ubuntu. Looks really slick.

Swag

Installed it fine, was running a bit slow while it imported things, but didn't run into many problems otherwise.

Trying to figure out how to mount my windows partition so that I can listen to music on Banshee.

Vanillalite

Sebulon3k said:
Installed it fine, was running a bit slow while it imported things, but didn't run into many problems otherwise.

Trying to figure out how to mount my windows partition so that I can listen to music on Banshee.

Weird my stuff always just mounts on it's own.

Schlep

I love the speed and the notifications in Gnome 3, but it's freaking me out. It feels kind of like going back to Mac OS X 10.0.

IceCold

Would I be able to upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10 to this without causing a bunch of shit to break? I don't feel like reinstalling Ubuntu since I have everything set up and working fine right now.

Brettison said:

Dual booting slows down performance doesn't it? At least in start up times.

IceCold said:
Would I be able to upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10 to this without causing a bunch of shit to break? I don't feel like reinstalling Ubuntu since I have everything set up and working fine right now.

You'll have to upgrade sometime.

Vanillalite

Flying_Phoenix said:
Dual booting slows down performance doesn't it? At least in start up times.

You'll have to upgrade sometime.

In terms of booting up you lose boot time cause you have to pick from the menu. Other than that there it's a real install. So no performance slow downs. Plus I have mine on 2 hdds so my win 7 is on one and Ubuntu on the other. Boot times aren't exactly OMG slow either so no performance issues.

Also I agree with Phoenix. You are going to have to upgrade sooner rather than later purely because you aren't on an LTS so no more updates. If Unity isn't your thing I'd highly recommend Xubuntu if you want Gnome 2.3 like functionality.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Installed it on my Laptop, quite happy with it. Had to get an external script to get sleep/hiberante working though...

but on the bright side it installed my Brother laser printer without any hassle. Windows 7 I have to download a driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom