• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 172 |OT| Biggest squash match since Goldberg wrestled La Parka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glover adding another awesome weapon to his arsenal by spitting out his mouthpiece when getting hit to get small breaks.

Was probably raked out of his mouth when Jones was going for an eyeball. Jones does the most blatant eye pokes I have ever witnessed.

Lazyslob

Banned
lol at dana saying jones is growing as a person inside the cage and out. i guess drunk drivivng and crashing with women who arent your wife, homophobic tweets and shit like that is growing as a person

lol at dana saying jones is growing as a person inside the cage and out. i guess drunk drivivng and crashing with women who arent your wife, homophobic tweets and shit like that is growing as a person

Earning that UFC sponsorship.

Do they still sponsor him?

Purexed

Banned
The salt, oh the salt, it's like listening in to delusional Republicans whining and bitching about Obama on conservative talk radio.

Carry on!

Dysun

Great Undercard
Happy to see Rumble whoop some ass, and Phil Davis bitch-made nature to come out in the open. Back to lay n praying on the prelims
Main event was meh, bring on the Gus rematch

Instro

At LHW if Gus doesn't do it, I give cormier a slight chance but other that I just don't think there's anyone in that division for Jones. At HW though.....I think there are a lot of fun fights for Jones and being that guys are so strong and heavy his height and reach wouldn't be that much of an advantage

Oh yeah I was referring to LHW, although his reach would still be an absurd advantage in the HW division too. I think that's the only place that has anything to offer him, Gus is good but he won't beat Jones. He got wrecked in the 4th and 5th after taking a solid spinning elbow and he doesn't seem to have the tank for the full 5 with his high output. Cormier has T-Rex arms, and I really doubt he'll be able to get Jones to the ground. No one else really matters.

With regards to Jones eye poking and so on, I do think he is a guy that has no qualms doing things to injure other fighters. You look at all the eye poking, the knee kicks, almost exclusively using elbows, hell even the way he hurt Glover's shoulder tonight, its all very "heel like" for the lack of a better term. He definitely looks for ways to put fighters at a disadvantage. There's not much wrong with it though, although I do think the UFC needs to do something about the gloves to completely eliminate the eye poking issue.

So Jones says he's not going to heavyweight anymore? I heard Rogan say something like that a couple times during the event tonight. Arlovski resigning with the UFC must have put the fear in him.

BSsBrolly

Banned
i cant wait till the day when jones is knocked out cold. will be a glorious day

The only one who has a chance to defeat Jones is Gustafsson. He isn't going to KO him either. How do you knock someone out with such a huge reach disadvantage? Nobody has the reach to KO Jones. Gustafsson has the closest reach but doesn't have the KO power. Others have the KO power but not the reach. We need a Hendo with an 86 inch reach.

So Jones says he's not going to heavyweight anymore? I heard Rogan say something like that a couple times during the event tonight. Arlovski resigning with the UFC must have put the fear in him.

bernie-mac-o.gif

Lazyslob

Banned
The only one who has a chance to defeat Jones is Gustafsson. He isn't going to KO him either. How do you knock someone out with such a huge reach disadvantage? Nobody has the reach to KO Jones. Gustafsson has the closest reach but doesn't have the KO power. Others have the KO power but not the reach. We need a Hendo with an 86 inch reach.

there is this guy... whats his name? cormier or something?

Seriously the next time Jon pokes someone in the eyes as a result of constantly placing his fingers directly in front of his opponent's face I want an instant point deduction.

Chesskid1

Banned
watching the presser

did no one ask jon about his palm out technique to maximize his reach? it's going to continue to be a problem /w the eyepokes (and it seems jon is starting to use it even more) and i'd love to hear dana's and jon's opinion on it..

cmon mma reporters..

eXtv

Banned
card of the year so far, Gomi won and most of the fights were entertaining as shit, so I'm happy with that.

watching the presser

did no one ask jon about his palm out technique to maximize his reach? it's going to continue to be a problem /w the eyepokes (and it seems jon is starting to use it even more) and i'd love to hear dana's and jon's opinion on it..

cmon mma reporters..

http://youtu.be/BRyL2zgyfqk

Ariel Helwani continues to be the best media interviewer in MMA. I wish the video game industry had an Ariel Helwani.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Those fucking eye pokes, as always. He starts off digging the fingers into the eyes, gets warned a couple times, then keeps doing the same motion palming the face but without digging in. Keep your opponent constantly flinching and distracted to protect against it. Super dirty.

Those fucking eye pokes, as always. He starts off digging the fingers into the eyes, gets warned a couple times, then keeps doing the same motion palming the face but without digging in. Keep your opponent constantly flinching and distracted to protect against it. Super dirty.

Are you going to tell me that if you have the reach advantage on someone and can keep them at a distance like that, you're the face of the UFC, you're 26 years old, still learning (not only MMA but about life in general), under a tremendous amount of pressure, AND the guy across from you possesses the ability to paralyze you, you aren't going to do it? Does it suck guys keep getting poked in the eye? Yes, and if I were the guy it was happening to, I would hate it. But I completely get why Jones does it and will keep doing it. And I can also see how the eye pokes are probably unintentional. He's trying to get his hand on their head but if he's too far back and leans forward his hand is going to lose height.

Came to post this.

His entire style continues to get dirtier. The knee kicks, the shoulder snap he did while standing with Texeira, the fingers in the face, the high elbow slashes. This guy makes me sick. I was a fan at first, but now I can't stand him. I hope DC or Rumble get their shots soon.

Edit Typical Greg Jackson; win no matter how sleezy you have to be.

Came to post this.

His entire style continues to get dirtier. The knee kicks, the shoulder snap he did while standing with Texeira, the fingers in the face, the high elbow slashes. This guy makes me sick. I was a fan at first, but now I can't stand him. I hope DC or Rumble get their shots soon.

Nothing you described other than the eye pokes are dirty. Cranking on someone's arm is dirty now? Should we ban arm bars too?

Nothing you described other than the eye pokes are dirty. Cranking on someone's arm is dirty now? Should we ban arm bars too?

I guess it depends on what kind of fight you want to watch. If you want to see great opponents neutralized by eye pokes, hyperextended knees and elbows resulting from non-submission techniques, and brow cuts, thats fine just don't expect to see many fans of the sport in the future.

An armbar is a submission technique, what he did was basically a crank; which is widely considered dirty.

I'd personally qualify the knee kicks as on the dirtier side just because the risk of major injury as a result seems like it would be pretty high. But it's allowed apparently so it's not the same thing as eye pokes.

Heel

I guess it depends on what kind of fight you want to watch. If you want to see great opponents neutralized by eye pokes, hyperextended knees and elbows resulting from non-submission techniques, and brow cuts, thats fine just don't expect to see many fans of the sport in the future.

An armbar is a submission technique, what he did was basically a crank; which is widely considered dirty.

iETp95wyZQHMR.gif

Exile20

Knee kicks are definitely dirty. Don't forget when he punched him in the face, though. Fuck Jon Jones.

I really dislike Jon Jones. Wins all the time but but damn he is a shitty fighter.

Can't wait till he is beaten to a pulp.

VASPER

Banned
Last nights fights were good, as much as i dont like the guy he is fucking good (Jon Jones).
I was happy to see Rumble get the win he will be a force to be reckoned with at 205.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom