• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 200 Official Press Conference: Live at 5 PM Eastern TIme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally I can agree with this but Conor is all about big timing his opponents and it just fails hard when Nate already beat him really bad. Ultimately this was kind of a silly rematch imo. He wasn't caught or anything he was beaten standing and on the ground. He should have been fighting Frankie and defending his belt.

It might not be exactly the same since he lost, but the dude has the silver tongue, he'll be able to clown them all the same.

The problem is, Conor is on everybodys mind. Seemed like 75% of the questions were about Conor. And if they weren't the air of Conor was still around. It was like 10 elephants in the room.

I think, its not just the personality, but he's also the most exciting fighter to watch.

I'm sort of confused as to why Nate was even there? If Conor is really not going to be on the card it doesn't really make a lot of sense to invite the entire press conference to be about him. How is that going to help sell PPVs?

Apparently Dana thought he was willing to fight someone else. At least thats what Dana said at the start of the presser. Then Nate killed that idea lol

Nibiru

Banned
Apparently Dana thought he was willing to fight someone else. At least thats what Dana said at the start of the presser. Then Nate killed that idea lol

If they offer him a big fight and a ton of money he will fight. This is why he was appearing to be planting his feet. His brother Nick did the exact same thing in the past to get the GSP fight. Nate wants Lawler.

Fitts

200 is such a clusterfuck. Also, weird that they didn't fly in Gomi and Miller to promote their main event fight.

If they offer him a big fight and a ton of money he will fight. This is why he was appearing to be planting his feet. His brother Nick did the exact same thing in the past to get the GSP fight. Nate wants Lawler.

I don't really see that fight happening, and its all but confirmed they are doing Lawler vs Woodley at UFC 201

They have a photo shoot and also are filming the advertising / commercial for 200

If only someone had invented some sort of software to modify pictures so it seems everyone is together in a shoot when they are in fact thousands of miles away.

They should call it Photo Shop or something like that.

If only someone had invented some sort of software to modify pictures so it seems everyone is together in a shoot when they are in fact thousands of miles away.

They should call it Photo Shop or something like that.

That's not what any of this is about though.

Its a power struggle between Conor and Zuffa management. Zuffa is putting their foot down to try to send a message no fighter is bigger than the organization.

Now whether that works or not who knows

dem

Everyone is getting worked by the King of the Carnies..

Geez I wonder why there was an empty seat..
Probably make a good talking point on the Countdown to UFC 200..

That 3rd Title Fight will be Jones vs DC as long as Jones wins, you can safely bet on that.

They both want that fight at 200 anyways, they've gone on record saying it. And that's why Dana couldn't announce the 3rd Title Fight today. Jones has to win first.

Thats also why Dana said if Nate stays on the card he won't be Main Event. Pretty sure the Woodley and Lawler fight is booked already

Brinbe

Yeah, that's pretty simple. They don't want to bend over for Conor because (to them) it sets a bad precedent that one guy is above it all. If you allow Conor to get what he want, you potentially have everyone else begging off promotion too because he successfully did it.

And to them, he's just one guy. If he wants to pout and sit at home, that's fine. Someone else will step up and grab the spotlight. That's the nature of the sport.

That being said, I think they'll work something out and the fight will still happen and Conor/Nate will find time to shoot those precious commercials.

They could have sent a photographer and a couple of camera guys to Iceland. Or just hired some locals. None of this makes an ounce of sense. Letting a few thousand dollars stand in the way of millions. I'd love to know what the truth is.
10 million dollars to have some guys sit on a stage and take some photos for a couple hours apparently 😂

"Biggest card in history" and a half-empty arena runs out of questions after 45 minutes. This card is going to be a 500k turd.

And at least half the questions were about a fight that's "not happening".

I honestly can't believe it. If Ronda were around, maybe, but right now? Suicide.

Yeah, that's pretty simple. They don't want to bend over for Conor because (to them) it sets a bad precedent that one guy is above it all. If you allow Conor to get what he want, you potentially have everyone else begging off promotion too because he did it.

I see Dana and the UFC's side, I just think it's unrealistic. They are in the fight promoting business. Not everyone gets paid the same. not everyone has the same Reebok endorsement deals. Sometimes you have to make concessions to make the fights that make the money and that the people want to see. Nobody cares about "fairness" in human cockfighting.

darscot

That's not what any of this is about though.

Its a power struggle between Conor and Zuffa management. Zuffa is putting their foot down to try to send a message no fighter is bigger than the organization.

Now whether that works or not who knows

The funny thing is they appear to be the only people that don't realise Connor is bigger than the sport.

Aryanos

Banned
I can't believe Dana's defence for not making the fight is because it's not fair. Are you kidding me? UFC has been fucking fighters and reneging on promises for years.

I can't believe Dana's defence for not making the fight is because it's not fair. Are you kidding me? UFC has been fucking fighters and reneging on promises for years.

Apparently it's absolutely imperative that a guy show up 2 months before his fight and stand next to the guy he's fighting while Dana pretends to separate them so that the press can take pictures. $10 million are riding on that moment.

hwalker84

Whats the story behind this?

Helwani broke too many news stories with his sources. He's a journalist first with his own site. He tends to ask the harder questions. Over the last few years Dana and Ariel haven't appeared anywhere near as chummy as they did when Dana broke them acquiring Strikeforce on his show.

Most people believe him breaking the news that UFC 200 was going to be Conor vs Nate and also his interview with Rory McDonald as the end.

Aryanos

Banned
Apparently it's absolutely imperative that a guy show up 2 months before his fight and stand next to the guy he's fighting while Dana pretends to separate them so that the press can take pictures. $10 million are riding on that moment.

Especially when Helwani just tweeted that he talked with the other fighters and they told him they didn't really care if Conoe showed up or not to the press conference.

I lost all respect for Conor and can't believe people think he's doing the right thing for fighters

Challenging the power structure of the UFC is the right thing for fighters. It being unchallenged is why shit like that god awful Reebok deal happen. The more the UFC can push this "the fighters are just replaceable pieces of meat" angle the worse things will get for the fighters. The fact that Conor bailing on this card will probably sink it from 2 million buys to 500K and cost the UFC millions of dollars in the process might make the powers that be appreciate the talent a little more. The fighters are the ones that stir the drink, not the guys signing the checks.

Challenging the power structure of the UFC is the right thing for fighters. It being unchallenged is why shit like that god awful Reebok deal happen. The more the UFC can push this "the fighters are just replaceable pieces of meat" angle the worse things will get for the fighters. The fact that Conor bailing on this card will probably sink it from 2 million buys to 500K and cost the UFC millions of dollars in the process might make the powers that be appreciate the talent a little more. The fighters are the ones that stir the drink, not the guys signing the checks.

This on 100 levels.

That has what to do with promotion being in his contract and him trying to get out of that unfairly? Or him trying to set the unfair precedent of fighters and crews having their schedules of shoots fucked over by one person deciding on a moment's notice to noshow?

Some things are indefensible. Things like 1) breaking your contract and 2) fucking over people. I can't respect Conor or anyone who doesn't see that, including people in the MMA fan and journalism community apparently. Oh well, moving on.

And yes, it's breaking contract:

Zuffa requires the fighter to "cooperate and assist in the advertising, publicity, and promotion of (i) the Bouts, (ii) any and all rebroadcast of the Bouts in any media whatsoever, (iii) other UFC bouts, (iv) other UFC events and broadcasts, and (v) the sale of UFC merchandise, including making appearances at a reasonable number of press conferences, interviews and other sponsorship and promotional activities (any of which may be telecast, broadcast, recorded or filmed) at times and places reasonably designated by ZUFFA, without additional compensation therefore. For such promotional activities, ZUFFA will arrange and pay for Fighter's reasonable travel, hotel and meal accommodations."

ARTICLE III
PROMOTION

3.1 Each Bout shall be a mixed martial arts contest, one-on-one fight between Fighter and an opponent designated by ZUFFA, subject to Fighter approval not to be unreasonably withheld, delayed or conditioned, conducted pursuant to the rules and regulations of the athletic commission, federation or official authority having jurisdiction over the Bout or ZUFFA pursuant to Section 3.7 (the "Athletic Commission"). Fighter and ZUFF A shall comply with and be bound by the rules and regulations of the Athletic Commission. For Bouts that occur in a jurisdiction or country without an Athletic Commission, the provisions of Section 3.7 shall control. In the event that Fighter does not approve of an opponent designated by ZUFFA, ZUFFA may, at its election and in accordance with the terms and conditions of Section 4.3 of this Agreement, extend the Term of this Agreement for the period required to designate another opponent for Fighter or six (6) months, whichever is longer.

3.2 ZUFFA shall promote and Fighter shall participate in the minimum number of Bouts set forth in Article IV below. For purposes hereof, ZUFFA shall be deemed to have complied with its obligations to promote any Bout if ZUFFA shall have made an offer to Fighter to promote a Bout in accordance with the provisions hereof and Fighter shall have refused to participate. If a Bout is the undercard to a main event and the main event is canceled or postponed for any reason, the failure of such Bout to take place shall not be deemed non-performance by ZUFFA and ZUFFA shall not be Iiable for Fighter's Purse associated therewith (as defined herein).

Nibiru

Banned

Reebok deal was atrocious, promoting fights is not and Conor would have no problem doing it if he wasn't fighting Nate. There is nothing deeper here than Conor being scared of Nick and this was a slick way to get out of the fight. A second loss to Diaz would basically ruin Conor. This isn't WWE where the gift of the gab can sustain you. You gotta win fights against top opponents or your star falls fast.

Conor is overrated. He is basically a worse version of Chuck Liddell in that Chuck had KO power, a killer sprawl and an iron chin. Conor has that one punch ko power at the lighter weights but not at 170 and his chin and ground game are average at best. Eventually hyped up fighters get exposed. Conor already has been exposed but some refuse to acknowledge it we'll see it again though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Reebok deal was atrocious, promoting fights is not and Conor would have no problem doing it if he wasn't fighting Nate. There is nothing deeper here than Conor being scared of Nick and this was a slick way to get out of the fight. A second loss to Diaz would basically ruin Conor. This isn't WWE where the gift of the gab can sustain you. You gotta win fights against top opponents or your star falls fast.

Conor is overrated. He is basically a worse version of Chuck Liddell in that Chuck had KO power, a killer sprawl and an iron chin. Conor has that one punch ko power at the lighter weights but not at 170 and his chin and ground game are average at best. Eventually hyped up fighters get exposed.

The UFC wanted nothing to do with this fight (because it makes no sense promotionally, or in any way really; just write it off as a freak fight, never have Conor at 170 again, and move on would have been their preference) and only booked it because Conor pushed for it. It's a dumb fight for him; even dumber at 170, and I think he probably loses it again even though I think at 145 he's a really interesting talent and at 155 who knows, maybe a top-5 guy. But he just wants to tilt at windmills. No idea why someone's who's 'scared' of Diaz would push for two fights against him so hard, the second one to the ire of the company. And sure Nate can tag people over time but let's not pretend he's Robbie Lawler or Roided Wand or something. Conor's being weird for sure but I don't see any factual or even reliable-rumor basis for saying it's based on being scared of Nate.

darscot

Conor is overrated. He is basically a worse version of Chuck Liddell in that Chuck had KO power, a killer sprawl and an iron chin. Conor has that one punch ko power at the lighter weights but not at 170 and his chin and ground game are average at best. Eventually hyped up fighters get exposed. Conor already has been exposed but some refuse to acknowledge it we'll see it again though.

If Connor was scared why did he not just go back down to his own weight. Everyone involved has stated it was Connor that wanted the rematch. The whole running scared thing makes no sense.

Nibiru

Banned
If Connor was scared why did he not just go back down to his own weight.

I really don't know. Ego probably but you better believe he is terrified of losing again to Nate.

I should clarify when I say overrated. He is a beast at 145 and very very good there but he is overrated in the sense that people think he can hang in the higher weight classes.

dream

Listen, I, as GAF's sharpest Ultimate analyst, called the exact way Conor would lose the second the fight was announced. And I believe he would lose to Nate 8/10 times. But let's not forget that his entire training camp was built around fighting Dos Anjos. I think Conor could be more competitive if he actually had a full camp to prepare for Nate.

That has what to do with promotion being in his contract and him trying to get out of that unfairly? Or him trying to set the unfair precedent of fighters and crews having their schedules of shoots fucked over by one person deciding on a moment's notice to noshow?

Some things are indefensible. Things like 1) breaking your contract and 2) fucking over people. I can't respect Conor or anyone who doesn't see that, including people in the MMA fan and journalism community apparently. Oh well, moving on.

And yes, it's breaking contract:

Then let Zuffa sue him. Who cares if he breaks his contract. The fact that the UFC is not suing him means him breaking his contract is not such a big deal to them, so why is it to you? Conor isn't fucking over anyone. The other fighters don't give a shit if he is there to promote. The ones that are smart know that him simply being on the card puts more money in their pocket (especially the ones that get a cut of the buys). You sound like the kind of person that thinks a college athlete is a jerk for taking money. Do you get mad every time an NFL player holds out? These guys should use every bit of leverage they can get, and the minute the UFC's buyrate for 200 went from 1.5 million to 500K, and the minute they said they wouldn't sue Conor for "breaking his contract", it became leverage for him.

So much this.

Listen, I, as GAF's sharpest Ultimate analyst, called the exact way Conor would lose the second the fight was announced. And I believe he would lose to Nate 8/10 times. But let's not forget that his entire training camp was built around fighting Dos Anjos. I think Conor could be more competitive if he actually had a full camp to prepare for Nate.

He already was competitive. He beat Nates thoroughly the 1st round. Everyone remembers that fight as McGregor getting smashed. He didn't. He lost fair and square and mad props to Nate for finishing him.

But Rd 1 was a total blowout in McGregor's favor.

He already was competitive. He beat Nates thoroughly the 1st round. Everyone remembers that fight as McGregor getting smashed. He didn't. He lost fair and square and mad props to Nate for finishing him.

But Rd 1 was a total blowout in McGregor's favor.

I think Conor's issue would be that even though he won rd 1, I'm not sure he can sustain that for 5 rounds against a guy like Nate, and I'm not sure he has the power at a heavier weight class to put Nate away in a round or 2.

I think Conor's issue would be that even though he won rd 1, I'm not sure he can sustain that for 5 rounds against a guy like Nate, and I'm not sure he has the power at a heavier weight class to put Nate away in a round or 2.

I don't disagree necessarily I'm just more addressing the narrative that has formed around that fight that it was just McGregor getting smashed on. That's really not what happened. Nate won but it was very competitive.

But yeah Nate would be the favorite to me going into the rematch

If Connor was scared why did he not just go back down to his own weight. Everyone involved has stated it was Connor that wanted the rematch. The whole running scared thing makes no sense.
Going back to his weight class would actually mean putting his title on the line and he's proven he doesn't want to do that.

Conor is the only real star the UFC has had. The biggest certainly. He is the only one that can do this. The truth, most of the UFC fighters are indeed replaceable pieces of meat, perhaps all, outside of Conor.

And, even Conor is still going to be forced to come crawling back to the UFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom