• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 200 Official Press Conference: Live at 5 PM Eastern TIme

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many times has he defended his title??? He didn't just win it last week.

So the reason he hasn't defended his title is because he's afraid of everyone?

Conor is the only real star the UFC has had. The biggest certainly. He is the only one that can do this. The truth, most of the UFC fighters are indeed replaceable pieces of meat, perhaps all, outside of Conor.

And, even Conor is still going to be forced to come crawling back to the UFC.

Maybe he will, but if the UFC is always gonna be there with the same $$$ and the same contract for him to come back to, what does he have to lose by doing this?

So the reason he hasn't defended his title is because he's afraid of everyone?
No but he's afraid of losing his title. Which he knows he very well might against the likes of Edgar. He becomes champion, then he wants to fight dos Anjos with nothing for him to lose. Then he wants to fight Nate with nothing on the line from him. He was talking about fighting Lawler then with nothing on the line for him. He got his ass kicked so he FINALLY said he'd go back down and FINALLY defend his title for the FIRST time. Whoops, now he wants to fight Nate again with nothing at stake for him. How often do champions never defend their belts???

dream

No but he's afraid of losing his title. Which he knows he very well might against the likes of Edgar. He becomes champion, then he wants to fight dos Anjos with nothing for him to lose. Then he wants to fight Nate with nothing on the line from him. He was talking about fighting Lawler then with nothing on the line for him. He got his ass kicked so he FINALLY said he'd go back down and FINALLY defend his title for the FIRST time. Whoops, now he wants to fight Nate again with nothing at stake for him. How often do champions never defend their belts???

FINALLY defend the title that he won four months ago?

Conor talks a lot of shit but the one thing he has said recently that I think is 100% sincere is that he doesn't really care about the belt. I think his eyes got wide and he realized that the best way to greater fame and fortune is not to rematch the guy he beat in 10 seconds, or against Edgar, but instead to create spectacle fights by moving up in weight. I have a hard time believing that a guy who is afraid of Frankie Edgar is going to turn around and agree to fights with RDA or Nate Diaz. I think he wants to make as much money and get as much attention as he can during his short MMA career before he bails out. Does anyone remember how many titles Roberto Duran had? Or Muhammed Ali?

Fusebox

Banned
as far as a draw? It's him and Ronda and not really much else. Guys like Jones and Cain are known and popular, but they aren't proven, bankable draws.

C'mon man, we used to have the Iceman, the Huntington Beach Badboy, The Natural, the Gracies, the Shamrocks. The idea that UFC has had no stars until MacGregor is a stretch.

You literally have no idea what you are talking about if you belive that
In the fight, Nate landed more significant strikes than Conor did. There are numbers out there. Nate was never hurt in the first round. Conor also missed a lot. I would have scored the first round for Conor but dominant??? Not how I saw it. You don't get extra points for punching like Ryu.

In the fight, Nate landed more significant strikes than Conor did. There are numbers out there. Nate was never hurt in the first round. Conor also missed a lot. I would have scored the first round for Conor but dominant??? Not how I saw it. You don't get extra points for punching like Ryu.

Rd 1 was clearly Conor's and by a good margin. He landed statistically more strikes, more power strikes, and at a higher percentage landed than Diaz. He also did considerably more damage.

The 1st Rd was Conor's and it wasn't a close rd.

dream

I mean, Conor fought Mini Mendes on a week's notice when, as an Irishman, he is genetically inferior as a wrestler. Anyone who says that he's a coward does not get the sport.

I mean, Conor fought Mini Mendes on a week's notice when, as an Irishman, he is genetically inferior as a wrestler. Anyone who says that he's a coward does not get the sport.
He would have never gotten up had Mendes continued bashing him with elbows instead of going for the guillotine at a weird angle. Either Mendes wanted to finish in grand fashion or he knew his gas tank was at E.

C'mon man, we used to have the Iceman, the Huntington Beach Badboy, The Natural, the Gracies, the Shamrocks. The idea that UFC has had no stars until MacGregor is a stretch.

Who?

Only name that rings a bell is Gracie.

Granted I've only recently become interested in MMA (even though I've seen those vicious fights that had no rules back in the day that Gracie won) funnily enough because of Rousey and then stayed because of McGregor.

Trust me on this, no one else in the roster has anything close to the mindshare of those two among the general public.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Rd 1 was clearly Conor's and by a good margin. He landed statistically more strikes, more power strikes, and at a higher percentage landed than Diaz. He also did considerably more damage.

The 1st Rd was Conor's and it wasn't a close rd.
He didn't land at a higher %. They were both at 37% in the 1st round. Conor only led by 28-23 in sig. strikes too.

Who?

Only name that rings a bell is Gracie.

Granted I've only recently become interested in MMA (even though I've seen those vicious fights that had no rules back in the day that Gracie won) funnily enough because of Rousey and then stayed because of McGregor.

Trust me on this, no one else in the roster has anything close to the mindshare of those two among the general public.

If Diaz beats him again, then Diaz will. Just like Holm shot up for beating Rousey even though people who follow the sport knew that 1) Holm winning was likely if Ronda tried to mess with her stand up and 2) even if she beat Ronda, she doesn't have the tools to beat the rest of wrestling based top 5 in the division.

Hype creates the mindshare but nobody's general public hype/mindshare survives big losses.

Watch that Rd, it's on fight pass I believe and tell me it's a close rd.
So you're biased eyes trump actual numbers. I guess you think eyebrow blood means massacre. I won't go over why Nate looked like a tomato, the announcer and others already have. Conor did hit him with some nice shots though. How do you figure that Conor hurt Nate in the round though???

So you're biased eyes trump actual numbers. I guess you think eyebrow blood means massacre. I won't go over why Nate looked like a tomato, the announcer and others already have. Conor did hit him with some nice shots though. How do you figure that Conor hurt Nate in the round though???

Biased eye? The stats reflect Conor winning the Rd by a good margin and when you watch it it's clear as day he won it. And it wasn't a close Rd he took it clearly and easily.

It was so close that not 1 media outlet scored the Rd for Diaz. No one anywhere did. That's a clear cut easily won round. That's all there is to it

Biased eye? The stats reflect Conor winning the Rd by a good margin and when you watch it it's clear as day he won it. And it wasn't a close Rd he took it clearly and easily.

It was so close that not 1 media outlet scored the Rd for Diaz. No one anywhere did. That's a clear cut easily won round. That's all there is to it
Oh, my mistake, I thought that poster just posted real numbers. Plus, you didn't answer my question of what gave you the idea that Conor hurt Nate in the round.

Shirkelton

Neo Member
Conor took that first round so easily that he had no gas tank left in the second to do much other than get man-handled and punched in the mouth.

That first round only became Conor's after he uncorked that cracker of a left that opened Nate's scar tissue up with about a minute and a half remaining. That was when the momentum changed and he started pouring it on and actually landed some serious shots.

Pretty much everything else Nate slipped, covered up and smothered or tagged Conor back when he was off-balance, which is what cost him so much of his gas-tank.

He won the first, but pretending it was a blowout or that Nate didn't do anything is something that just doesn't hold up when you watch it back. It was a much closer round than the stats, and people's memory, make it seem.

Similarly, Conor is not MMA's Eugene Debs and people's perception of his actions as some kind of necessary step in forming a fighter's union or similar are way off base. He's arguing for special treatment for himself and only himself, he even says that other people should be doing what he is, not getting better conditions. He just wants a one off break, this isn't some grand stand for figher's rights and even if Conor did win this argument, which he won't, the UFC would never let it eventuate into that.

The UFC is better taken care of by losing out on a pay-day they can redo somewhere down the line and stomping down on this kind of behaviour like they have so many times before, than they are by letting Conor fight and making a bit of revenue at a much larger, and more long-term cost to their structure.

kIdMuScLe

Shit who fucking cares if he has the belt or not. A lot of the people don't care either. They just see him move up in Weight to fight the supposed best and win. Just look at boxing. No one really cares if mayweather, pacquiao, Carmelo, etc... Are belt holders. They just care if they beat the supposed best challenger at the time.

Shit who fucking cares if he has the belt or not. A lot of the people don't care either. They just see him move up in Weight to fight the supposed best and win. Just look at boxing. No one really cares if mayweather, pacquiao, Carmelo, etc... Are belt holders. They just care if they beat the supposed best challenger at the time.

Avid fans don't care. The general public absolutely cares. They don't have the interest to wade through the average and only care to witness the best. Champions are easy to look at as the best. And if those Champions fail to impress, often an entire sport is labeled poor/boring.

I.e. Fury v Klitschko or any ball-based sport that isn't a close exciting game.

Sounds like you'd believe anything he says. He didn't say that in the past. If he's genuine, then vacate the fucking belt and stop holding up the division.

The little baby will throw the biggest tantrum of all time the second that belt's vacated, regardless of if he does it himself or not.

It's pretty impressive. Remember when we thought nobody would top Anderson Silva's tantrum at his loss, and then Ronda did? Now both got topped easily. I don't see anybody ever complaining more than this guy did.

RBH

ChDWFsFWMAQTH0S.jpg:large

A light heavyweight title unification bout between Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones will headline UFC 200 on July 9 in Las Vegas, UFC president Dana White announced on "Good Morning America" on Wednesday.

Jones (22-1) returned from a 15-month layoff at UFC 197 last weekend. He defeated Ovince Saint Preux via unanimous decision in an interim 205-pound title fight. It was Jones' first appearance since January 2015, when he defeated Cormier by decision to record his eighth consecutive title defense. Three months later, Jones was arrested in Albuquerque, New Mexico, on a felony hit-and-run charge and stripped of his UFC title. In September, he entered a plea deal that allowed him to avoid jail time.

In his absence, Cormier (17-1) won the vacant title by submitting Anthony Johnson at UFC 187 last May. He has one defense -- a split decision over Alexander Gustafsson in October. Cormier was supposed to face Jones at UFC 197, but a leg injury forced him to withdraw three weeks prior to the event. The San Jose-based champion is scheduled to undergo an MRI next week, but he recently told ESPN.com the recovery has gone well.
http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/1...er-ufc-200-replacing-conor-mcgregor-nate-diaz

kiguel182

Cormier vs Jones is something I'm interested in as a casual MMA watcher.

Sucks that there's no Connor match. I only watch the matches with the big starts so he will be missed for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom