• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 200 Tate vs Nunes |OT| The Fall of Jonesius

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElRenoRaven

To answer your question it's a belt that usually a temp version of the title that is used while a champ is injured usually. Basically it's a way to keep title fights happening without striping the champ for being injured. It always results in a match between the two to determine the rightful champ.

Stupid I know but that's it in a nutshell.

Wait what...so because McGregor wants to go up a weight he keeps his current title and diesnt have to defend it? Im confused

He has to defend it at some point or get stripped. But UFC wants to promote him against Diaz, so this is basically a glorified #1 contenders fight. This is by far the dumbest interim title they've ever created.

Tonight we are going to find out if Conor took Aldo's soul with that punch or not.

McGregor's last title fight was in December, there's no reason to forfeit your belt after 7 months.

There's not. But there's also no logical reason to make an interim belt after 7 months.

Wait what...so because McGregor wants to go up a weight he keeps his current title and diesnt have to defend it? Im confused

He's currently the biggest money-maker for UFC. He sure can sway some decisions to his side. To take note however, he lost to Nate Diaz when he moved up and sooner or later he will need to defend the title.

The Diaz/McGregor rematch is their biggest draw and will probably break the PPV record (set by Diaz/Conor 1) so it's in the UFC's interest to let him do that fight and not strip him as a punishment for moving up and making them a ton of money. In short, don't read too much into shit like belts and rankings.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I like how helpful UFC fans are. Might need to get more into it lol

ElRenoRaven

He has to defend it at some point or get stripped. But UFC wants to promote him against Diaz, so this is basically a glorified #1 contenders fight. This is by far the dumbest interim title they've ever created.

It really is. I can understand if a champ is injured but just because they're busy promoting another fight for the champ in another weight class is pretty stupid. But that's what happens when you don't have a nationally organized body running things for the sport.

The Diaz/McGregor rematch is their biggest draw and will probably break the PPV record (set by Diaz/Conor 1) so it's in the UFC's interest to let him do that fight and not strip him as a punishment for moving up and making them a ton of money. In short, don't read too much into shit like belts and rankings.

I think UFC 100 still holds the PPV record, 1.5 million buys. I think 196 was 1.3 million. Unless you mean revenue, which I'm not certain on.

Nameless

Like both fighters but I use Aldo to beat the up cheap McGregors in UFC2, so I guess I'll root for him. Want to see the rematch too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom