• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 210 Cormier vs. Johnson 2 |OT| Embrace the Grind

Status
Not open for further replies.

broz0rs

Joe putting everyone under the bus when it took him 10 replays to figure it out. Fuck him

lol Weidman trying to give a Dusty Rhodes Hard Times promo.

Chumley

Banned
Right, which is why the review shouldn't have come in to play. But for whatever reason they decided it should, which means he stopped the fight for what was ruled a legal knee in the end.

The fight should never have been stopped is the point, it wasn't over.

Fitts

How is it Miragliotta doesn't know the new rules, and why the hell does NY not have replay?

Answer to first part: he must. He didn't stop it with one hand clearly down, but did when he thought two were.

Answer to second part: because NY.

Instro

Just do away with the rule altogether. The previous rule was even worse since dudes gamed it all the time, but the current rule is more dangerous as you have people like Weidman tempting fate with both hands down and not defending at all. If you are on your feet all knees should be fine.

Chumley

Banned
But...but... Weidman is so much better than Mousasi! Only cans! Right? Moose is awesome. No rematch because Weidman tried gaming the system. Go to Bellator and fight the winner of Chael/Wanderlei.

You're expecting him to know the rules better than the ref? Why wouldn't he take a 5 minute time out if the ref was telling him it was an illegal knee?

This was all on the ref and the ny athletic commission.

cchum

So chain of events:

Close legal knee
It was fine
Dan should've told the doctors to get the hell out and no 5 minutes
Stop by doctors for....?

selo

I don't think this fight deserves a rematch. Weidman should try and fight someone who is lowered ranked, get his confidence back. He's now 0-3, I feel bad for him but yeah, I know MMA is unpredictable but the fight was starting to go Mousasis way and if the ref had not stopped it, Weidman was very hurt with those knees.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Who do we like for the main event fam?

Oscar

How is it Miragliotta doesn't know the new rules, and why the hell does NY not have replay?

It took the broadcast team multiple replays with various angles in order to agree that it was legal. Can't really knock Miragliotta for this one IMO, it was a close as fuck call.

So chain of events:

Close legal knee
It was fine
Dan should've told the doctors to get the hell out and no 5 minutes
Stop by doctors for....?

The fight was stopped because the doctor came into the ring at all. You can't stop a fight and examine a guy after a legal strike. The minute that happens the fight has been compromised and has to be stopped. And Weidman milked the hell out of it when he thought the knee was illegal. If he really was that out of sorts the fight should have ended anyway. The entire thing was simply an unfortunate circumstance created by a dumb rule.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Miragliotta thought they were illegal strikes
He pauses the fight, gives Weidman 5 minutes to recover
Replay should not have been used, ref simply missed the call (understandably so).
Commission decides fight is over since it was "stopped" already even though they were illegal strikes according to the ref.

Ref made a mistake, but it was a very understandable one as even the replays weren't all clear.

Fair.

What isn't fair, and what is the real issue here, is that once it was determined the knees were legal, the fight was not resumed and instead the ring doc stayed in the ring and thereby gave Weidman more time to recover.

This fuckery just goes to demonstrate how much NYSAC needs to catch up.

Hey man, I'll come over to your house and you can try checking my kicks until my leg breaks. I'd love to see how you pull that off.

It was a freak accident, stop trying to spin it any other way.

You conveniently left out Weidman dropping Silva in the first round and having him in all kinds of trouble again.

Weidman was simply better than Silva in their head to head matches. No shame there, everyone finds their kryptonite eventually, Weidman is a good fighter and Silva was past his physical prime.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Who do we like for the main event fam?

I'm happy whoever wins. Gut says Cormier by something past the 3rd round, but both are great guys and Rumble didn't cut off a pound of flesh backstage to make weight for this fight. Wouldn't be surprised if Cormier is in rough shape from the cut and Johnson catches him early.

dopplr

The fight was stopped because the doctor came into the ring at all. You can't stop a fight and examine a guy after a legal strike. The minute that happens the fight has been compromised and has to be stopped. And Weidman milked the hell out of it when he thought the knee was illegal. If he really was that out of sorts the fight should have ended anyway.

This - If he hadn't sold it and they had replay they would've been put back into position and fight continued.

I'm all for knees to downed opponents in pretty much all situations unless they are flat on their back. That's an incredibly easy rule to enforce as well. As long as back isn't touching the mat throw as many knees as you want.

Chumley

Banned
The fight was stopped because the doctor came into the ring at all. You can't stop a fight and examine a guy after a legal strike. The minute that happens the fight has been compromised and has to be stopped. And Weidman milked the hell out of it when he thought the knee was illegal. If he really was that out of sorts the fight should have ended anyway. The entire thing was simply an unfortunate circumstance created by a dumb rule.

Weidman was probably fucked, yeah. He would have likely lost the match not long after that.

But it was still a compromised match and needs a rematch as soon as possible.

Oscar

I like DC, but I'd like to see Jones vs Rumble.

Jones struggles with fighters that he doesn't have a huge size advantage on.

Spladam

Answer to first part: he must. He didn't stop it with one hand clearly down, but did when he thought two were.

Answer to second part: because NY.

It took the broadcast team multiple replays with various angles in order to agree that it was legal. Can't really knock Miragliotta for this one IMO, it was a close as fuck call.

You're right, I guess I need to consider how hard it is to spot all this in the moment in the cage, and Mousasi was pretty slick about that lifting his hands as he threw the knee.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I want a Rumble KO just because it cracks me up every time people say "he was in the shadow dimension" or something similar :3

You conveniently left out Weidman dropping Silva in the first round and having him in all kinds of trouble again.

Weidman was simply better than Silva in their head to head matches. No shame there, everyone finds their kryptonite eventually, Weidman is a good fighter and Silva was past his physical prime.

Okay but that's an entirely different argument. I'm just saying these claims by ignorant people that he somehow checked the kick in such an awesome way that he broke the other guy's leg is fucking stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom