• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC Champion Holly Holms first title defense will not be against Ronda Rousey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm probably late on this but is the general consensus now that Holm is head and shoulders above everyone and Rhonda is trash? If so, lol. After this news I'm actually wondering if the Rhonda rematch will be for the title.

Rousey is too skilled to ever seriously be considered "trash" but her stand-up skills were dramatically overstated. She drank her own Kool-Aid and tried to stand with someone who is actually a legitimately skilled boxer and that was that.

Unlike Rousey, Holly was actually prepared to defend against her opponent's strengths and soundly nullified Rousey's judo while beating her senseless upright.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Makes sense. Cash in on Holly why you can. White should know better than to try to sideline her. Guess he's scared she'll lose the title before she fights Rousey.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'm probably late on this but is the general consensus now that Holm is head and shoulders above everyone and Rhonda is trash? If so, lol. After this news I'm actually wondering if the Rhonda rematch will be for the title.

The general consensus is that Holm is head and shoulders above Rousey and will beat the brakes off Miesha Tate. I think Zingano would be a tougher match for Holly than Miesha who's really just a tough as nails scrapper.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
whats her face was completely outted as being a certain skill level. Holms is a superior fighter and that showed immediately. I'd love to see her fight more at her skill level, Holms, not the loser.
It's MMA, not Dragon Ball Z. There are no power levels and styles make fights. Rousey has already demolished pretty much every other legit contender in the division and there's a decent chance that Holm would have more trouble with some of them than Rousey did.

People are underestimating Tate and overestimating Holms well-roundedness. Both Tate and Zingano are more well rounded than Ronda and either could end up out-wrestling Holm.

Fight Math doesn't work. Fighter A > Fighter B > Fighter C does not necessarily mean Fighter A > Fighter C. Styles can make a huge difference.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
The general consensus is that Holm is head and shoulders above Rousey and will beat the brakes off Miesha Tate. I think Zingano would be a tougher match for Holly than Miesha who's really just a tough as nails scrapper.

I'm seeing a lot of knee jerk reactions from Johnny come latelys performing bad mma math with the out come being that Holm is the new hyped to high heavens goat because she dominated rousey. I wouldn't write off Tate, Zingano, and possible a few others to outmatch holly., all fighters who Rhonda has smoked and would smash again.

This isn't really a response to your post btw. Id largely agree with what you put.

Anth0ny

Thank you Uncle Dana. Ronda wasn't just beat, she was completely outclassed. A rematch made zero sense.

Yeah 2 million ppv buys would make zero sense right

Really thought they'd save her for the rematch at ufc 200, but I ain't complaining.

Dennis

Banned
Good.

I don't want an immediate rematch. It would just be a remake of the first fight.

Give Ronda the time she needs to be a credible challenge for the champ.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Ronda is hurt and in no way would be able to fix all the glaring problems she showed. She got exposed for her poor striking, nonexistent footwork, and terrible endurance. I believe the entire top ten come from grappling backgrounds like Judo or something outside of Holms. She is definitely the best at that, but every opponent also played the same game.

Qvoth

didn't ronda say something like if she loses again in the rematch against holly she'll quit or something?

Xe4

Banned
Good.

I don't want an immediate rematch. It would just be a remake of the first fight.

Give Ronda the time she needs to be a credible challenge for the champ.

Rousey is still probably gonna still get an immediate rematch. The longer they wait for Rousey-Holm the higher the chance either of them has to loose, and the less the public cares. I don't mind an immediate rematch, if Rouse looses again it really just means she's worse than Holm but she does have a chance to win if she gets Holm to the ground and keeps her there.

Really I just want to see Holm fight again. She deserves it and I don't think the prospect of her loosing bothers her that much.

Anyone who thinks Tate is an easier fight than Rousey for Holm hasn't been paying attention.

Tate is physically more powerful, has better entries into the clinch, utilizes traditional wrestling takedowns instead of Judo based ones, etc.

Its an entirely different matchup

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Yeah 2 million ppv buys would make zero sense right

Really thought they'd save her for the rematch at ufc 200, but I ain't complaining.

I think if Ronda was going to be ready for UFC 200, we wouldn't be having this discussion. "3-6 months away from eating an apple" and shooting 2 movies back to back doesn't sound like "I'll be ready in July" to me.

Anyone who thinks Tate is an easier fight than Rousey for Holm hasn't been paying attention.

Tate is physically more powerful, has better entries into the clinch, utilizes traditional wrestling takedowns instead of Judo based ones, etc.

This is true, but it's not like Holly hasn't faced those types of fighters successfully either.

The thing is Holm GREATLY benefits from 5 round fights. Her cardio is leagues above anyone else in the division, it's just on another level. I don't think any girl can get out alive after a 5 round fight. For a great example look at the Julie Werner fight. Holly dominated the whole fight, but was also very, very careful. Never overextended herself. She probably could have put her away at several times in earlier rounds, but just continued to beat her up and getting her tired until the 5th round when she finally decided to knock her out.

Holm isn't gonna be getting 14 second finishes any time soon, she'll wear her competition out and with 5 rounds to work with, I really don't think any of the other girls at the division can give her any trouble. She gets more and more effective as the fights goes on, starts to pick up on the other girl's timing and beats them with her superior cardio and strength.

I truly believe she's untouchable right now.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

but its meisha and all she does is lose to champs

Busty

Banned
While I would expect Holly Holm to ultimately win a match with Meisha Tate I think it could still make for a really interesting contest.

As much as I like Rousey I think the UFC's women division could really benefit from her stepping back for a period of time.

Maoyama

Banned
Rousey is too skilled to ever seriously be considered "trash" but her stand-up skills were dramatically overstated. She drank her own Kool-Aid and tried to stand with someone who is actually a legitimately skilled boxer and that was that.

Except for the multiple trips and takedowns she tried, the rolling armbar and the fact that Ronda rocked Holly hard at one point.

Holly was much, much better overall but Ronda was trting to implement her game. It wasnt until Holly defended the armbar, expertly blocked Ronda's hips against the cage and shook of Ronda's best strikes dod the fight get super sloppy on Rousey's part

Dont get me wrong, Ronda most definitely tried her best Punch -> collar tie trip -> armbar chain. Its just Holly was ready for it

Tate vs Holm is very interesting too and would be a nice scrap for sure. Holms TDD would be tested in a seasoned wrestler in Tate. It will be FotN for sure.

If I was Dana I'd be pushing for Tate to be the champion in my company. She's way more marketable and better looking than Rhonda. Not sure why Danas got a hard on for her vs Holm. Fight can literally go either way. Holm would no doubt be the favorite but I would throw money at Tate as you can never count her out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom