• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC Champion Jon Jones suspect in felony hit-and-run. Update: stripped of title

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabig2

someone needs to set up an intervention for him with RDJ. I think he's now at that level, especially if he sees any sort of jail time.

Sucks that he couldnt keep it together outside the octagon. Rumble vs DC may be a good fight as well.

also just saw this lol
bonesbehindbars.gif

Jarnet87

I haven't seen Anthony Johnson fight in years, but it's hard to imagine him being a legit title contender when the last fight I saw of him was Koscheck clown him. I've heard he's much more natural as a heavyweight instead of welterweight.

Ronin Ray

I haven't seen Anthony Johnson fight in years, but it's hard to imagine him being a legit title contender when the last fight I saw of him was Koscheck clown him.

Anthony Johnson is now fighting at the right weight and viciously knocking dudes out. Its really night and day. Dude is scary

I haven't seen Anthony Johnson fight in years, but it's hard to imagine him being a legit title contender when the last fight I saw of him was Koscheck clown him. I've heard he's much more natural as a heavyweight instead of welterweight.

He got fired for missing weight, got back in, and has basically murdered everybody since getting back. He's a monster now.

FFS! He's been tearing up the LHW division. Give me a break with this straw man Koscheck argument.

Jarnet87

it's a decent resume since going heavyweight. Gustafsson is a big name but the rest is meh. I don't give many points for beating a 70 year old Noguiera, Arlovski (lawls), and Phil "I move like this isn't my body" Davis.

YoungHav

Banned
All that dummy had to do was hail a cab or limo. Belt gone, suspended, lost endorsements, facing prison... What an asshat.

He came into the game with a head firmly planted on his shoulders, sound moral values and a respectful demeanor. That all unfortunately seemed to change throughout the years of his success. What a shame.

Scorpion

Banned
from wiki
" ended up paying a $1,000 fine, installing ignition interlocks on all of his vehicles, had to complete a victims impact class, and had his drivers license suspended for six months"

That was after his dui incident in 2012, I wonder if thats the reason he was driving a rental. Its only speculation, but if true what a shitty thing to do, rent a car because you're going to knowingly get drunk and drive.

UFC should have taken this opportunity to have some kind of LHW Grand Prix tourney for the title. Having DC get a direct title shot after getting embarrassed by Bones doesn't sit well at all. UFC seems to have this obsession with crowning champs immediately though. It's probably why they have so many Interim champions when guys get injured.

Ronin Ray

UFC should have taken this opportunity to have some kind of LHW Grand Prix tourney for the title. Having DC get a direct title shot after getting embarrassed by Bones doesn't sit well at all. UFC seems to have this obsession with crowning champs immediately though. It's probably why they have so many Interim champions when guys get injured.

Dam yeah that would get me back into MMA

Isn't that what they did in Warrior?

Rumble has a good chance, unless he gets taken out by Joel Edgerton again.

Lazyslob

Banned
it's a decent resume since going heavyweight. Gustafsson is a big name but the rest is meh. I don't give many points for beating a 70 year old Noguiera, Arlovski (lawls), and Phil "I move like this isn't my body" Davis.

.....wow. not impressed easy are ya? you probably also think anderson silva only beat bums and fedor is overrated

dabig2

Jones isn't anywhere near RDJ's level when it comes to drug problems.

I phrased that wrong. I meant that he's now on a visible enough path of self destruction that it's now time to invite some big wigs to talk to him. RDJ would be good since he went through all this and more before, kicked his demons, and is back better than ever. RDJ would be both a cautionary tale and a destination for Jones.

ApharmdX

Banned

Noguiera actually doesn't have *that* many fight miles on him. He left MMA to box for a while.

Arlovski is seeing a career resurgence.

Davis is a top 5 - top 10 fighter.

Anthony Johnson is clearly the number one contender. I actually think Cormier beats him but he's developed into a fantastic LHW, with maybe the best power in all of MMA currently.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
It takes a special kind of dumbass to lose a clothing deal with both Nike and Reebok in the same year. Personally, I don't care if he ever fights again. 170 is fun now that the Goddamn Sleeping Pill is gone and Robbie Lawler is the champ. 205 is going to be fun again when Rumble becomes champ.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
His wife is a freaking saint having to deal with his endless bullshit while at the same time handling 4 kids.

Not to mention stuff like this:
A bit later, I ask him about his relationship with his fiancée, Jessie Moses. The two have been together since before he went to college; she's the mother of three of his daughters, and she's stayed with him through a lot of ups and downs. This October, a video of a naked Jones waving his ample dick around at a woman who is not Moses made its way online. ("I can be such a pervert sometimes," he says in the video. "You like that?")

"Uh, we're not talking about that," he says, when I ask.

That's fine; I want to know how he and Moses are doing.

"Phenomenal relationship," he says. "We're happy, man. We're happy. We're functional. We make a great team. She's a phenomenal mother, caretaker. I'm a phenomenal provider, father. Team Jones."

A pair of pretty waitresses come over. They banter for a time, Jones jabbing playfully as they blush and counter. Then he grabs one of their notepads and scrawls down his number, and they walk away.
http://deadspin.com/how-jon-jones-became-the-baddest-motherfucker-on-earth-1676262642

from wiki
" ended up paying a $1,000 fine, installing ignition interlocks on all of his vehicles, had to complete a victims impact class, and had his drivers license suspended for six months"

That was after his dui incident in 2012, I wonder if thats the reason he was driving a rental. Its only speculation, but if true what a shitty thing to do, rent a car because you're going to knowingly get drunk and drive.

Dude, Jon Jones wrecked a Bentley when he got that DUI. He's driving a rental so he doesn't have another $150,000 repair bill.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I think once he knows there's a camera or reporter present, he panders.

But for real, he needs a stint at rehab to have a good redemption story for fans to swallow and Daddy Dana to sell.

Panders about cheating on his wife? I know he's been playing up this bad-guy image for a while but he comes off incredibly bad in that interview.

Panders about cheating on his wife? I know he's been playing up this bad-guy image for a while but he comes off incredibly bad in that interview.

And it works:

Sucks that he got in trouble again, but I don't care. I still like the guy. All I care is that he's a good fighter, which he is. Hopefully he can get over this one, get his shit together and get back to the business of busting ass. PEACE.

People don't care enough about the sport to get involved with the fighters on that level, save for maybe Ronda and Brock when it was involved. Nobody else has that kind of cache. Bones being a coke head and an idiot isn't likely to hurt the UFC's or his own bottom line. It's like when random NFL players, even good ones, get busted for PEDs. People don't give a shit the way they might with an Olympic athlete or baseball player.

why not? let's say he goes to prison. once he gets out, post-prison Jones vs. interim champion would sell like fucking crazy. i'd order that ppv.

People want to see a "bad guy" get his in the UFC.

Uhhhhhhh…

Lazyslob

Banned
His wife is a freaking saint having to deal with his endless bullshit while at the same time handling 4 kids.

eh. not really. i mean she is probably living a decent enough life and doesnt work. i bet they made some kind of deal that he goes out and does whatever and she gets to live in his house and all that with no divorcing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom