• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC Champion Jon Jones suspect in felony hit-and-run. Update: stripped of title

Status
Not open for further replies.
e5nKsZy.jpg

Juicy Bob

Good on the UFC for stripping him of the title.

Excuse my ignorance, but why is the next title fight not the number 1 and 2 contenders?

I'm assuming the no 2 guy just fought or something and will get first dibs on the winner.

ron_bato

Excuse my ignorance, but why is the next title fight not the number 1 and 2 contenders?

I'm assuming the no 2 guy just fought or something and will get first dibs on the winner.

The number 2 guy in the division (Alexander Gustafsson) just lost (via devastating fashion) to the current number 1 ranked guy (Anthony Johnson).

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
THIS FUCKING DUDE...

Ali was stripped for standing up for his beliefs and refusing to participate in an unjust war.

Jones was stripped for being a piece of shit human being that can't stay out of legal trouble, and continues to jeopardize the safety of himself and those around him

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

Current UFC rankings:

C) Jon Jones
1) Anthony Johnson
2) Alexander Gustafsson
3) Daniel Cormier
4) Rashad Evans
5) Ryan Bader

Johnson just destroyed Gustafsson. Daniel Cormier just lost to Jones (by decision) and thus is in that "runner up" position right now. Rashad is injured and won't be back until at least the end of the year. And no-one wants to see Bader anywhere near a title shot.

That and this is the UFC. They don't need to make sense. People have got title shots for much less.

BadAss2961

DC is already wheeling out the "Rumble got subbed by Koscheck, lol" trash talk. But I don't see any way that DC wins this. DC is fast, but Rumble is a beast. I expect a KO.
Really? I guess people have already forgotten Cormier's potential after the loss to Jones. He's still an outstanding heavyweight wrestler fighting at LHW. He has experience in handling big, really strong guys. Granted, he's never seen anyone as explosive as Rumble, but i'm yet to see DC get rocked. It's been a little while, but i've seen Rumble lose on the ground.

I expect DC to win this fight for basically the same reasons people thought he could beat Jones... With Jones just being a special talent and a freakish matchup, that loss didn't make me lose much faith in the qualities DC brings to the division.

I see a lot of parallels between Bones Jones and Aaron Hernandez. You look at AH and think, dude, you made it, you're the best football player on the planet. Why you still gangbanging? Bones Jones probably slanged on the corner as a kid, selling dime bags and eight balls, but like AH, he couldn't let go of the lifestyle. Now that he's grown, rich, and widely regarded as the best P4P fighter in the world, he can't be satisfied with that. Instead, he decides he's Tony Montana, moving keys, and getting high on his own supply.

What evidence is there that Jon Jones is trafficking now?

Did something change between him being arrested and hm vacating the title?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

PerkyPastAfricancivet.gif

The number 2 guy is the white dude.
The guy working him, is the current number 1 contender who was supposed to face Jones.

This happened in January, i dont think he is ready to get a beating again.

industrian

Really? I guess people have already forgotten Cormier's potential after the loss to Jones. He's still an outstanding heavyweight wrestler fighting at LHW. He has experience in handling big, really strong guys. Granted, he's never seen anyone as explosive as Rumble, but i'm yet to see DC get rocked. It's been a little while, but i've seen Rumble lose on the ground.

I expect DC to win this fight for basically the same reasons people thought he could beat Jones... With Jones just being a special talent and a freakish matchup, that loss didn't make me lose much faith in the qualities DC brings to the division.

I'm not diminishing DC's abilities or accomplishments. He's a great wrestler with powerful and fast hands. He's capable of throwing dudes around with the greatest of ease and has a training camp full of warriors to get him ready.

But with that said:

1) He's old.
2) Whether it's a psychological thing or something else, very few fighters have been the same after losing to Jones. Rashad, Bader, Shogun, Vera, etc, all took a major hit after being victimised by Jones, with some never being the same afterwards.
3) He's been training to fight a one-dimensional grappler, and now needs to refocus his attention to fighting a complete fighter on short notice.

I see Rumble winning this because he's a complete fighter, fast, experienced, and he's been training from day one in his current camp for this title shot. But if DC wins I'll be happy, because he's a likeable guy and it's his last chance to get the one thing he needs before retirement.

Lucifon

It's a real shame it came to this but definitely the right move by the UFC. Jones needs a real kick up the backside to get his life on track, it's frustrating to watch when the man is such a dominant champion in the cage. Genuinely could be (if he isn't already) the P4P GOAT, but continues to tarnish the potential of that legacy with idiocy outside the cage.

It's a real shame it came to this but definitely the right move by the UFC. Jones needs a real kick up the backside to get his life on track, it's frustrating to watch when the man is such a dominant champion in the cage. Genuinely could be (if he isn't already) the P4P GOAT, but continues to tarnish the potential of that legacy with idiocy outside the cage.

he is very good but he cant be the "P4P GOAT" - his immense size, reach and the fact that he weighs 220-230pounds come fight night plays a huge role in his wins. Not saying he doesnt have skill, but he has the longest reach in the UFC and is very tall so his physical attributes contribute to his wins, which is the kinda opposite of a P4P ranking.

Rankings don't mean a great deal in the UFC.

Guru-Guru

Banned
he is very good but he cant be the "P4P GOAT" - his immense size, reach and the fact that he weighs 220-230pounds come fight night plays a huge role in his wins. Not saying he doesnt have skill, but he has the longest reach in the UFC and is very tall so his physical attributes contribute to his wins, which is the kinda opposite of a P4P ranking.
So you're disqualifying him for his physical attributes? How dumb. Might as well disqualify Silva, as he has had a reach advantage, and usually a height advantage, over all his opponents. Hell, pretty much every fighter weights 10-25 more pounds over their listed weight come fight night. Let's disqualify them all.

Lazyslob

Banned
2) Whether it's a psychological thing or something else, very few fighters have been the same after losing to Jones. Rashad, Bader, Shogun, Vera, etc, all took a major hit after being victimised by Jones, with some never being the same afterwards.

what? no. i mean i he whooped some ass but he wasnt claiming souls
except for machidas

mekes

Zuffa trying to play people like marks. Strip the title now and then hype up the comeback fight to the moon like Anderson-Wildman. I'm not falling for it bruhs

True. I don't see this hurting the UFC all that much. Any reasonable MMA fan will be okay with the alternate fight we are getting, the card is still one of the best in a long time and still easily able to be hyped. Comeback fight could well garner more attention than next months cancelled fight. UFC look proper, making the right decision for now.

Jones seems such a conflicted person. I'm not going to judge too hard but, growing up with a camera stuck in your face cant be easy, especially when people are billing you as the best fighter on the planet. He'd of been much better off just being himself, the holier than thou approach never seemed legit, he only hurt himself with that. He should just be himself, whoever that is.

Lucifon

I really don't see how you can disqualify someone from ever being considered just because of their natural physical attributes. Also, his weight isn't a factor, if he can hit the weight on weigh in day then it's a non-issue by the current rules. Everyone plays by those same rules, and Jon has never had weigh in issues that I can remember.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I'm glad they stripped him of the title, but they really need to fine the shit out of him, too.

Who should fine him?
He is already suspended so he aint fighting so they aint gonna pay him this month....heck they might never pay him again.

This is the stupidest thing I've read all week and man let me tell you that's a high bar to clear with the Baltimore threads and such blowing up these past few days. Jon Jones is unarguably the LHW GOAT and really only has 1-2 people that could claim all time P4P GOAT status from him at this point. Everyone's "physical attributes contribute to their wins", it's a goddamn sport for fuck's sake. Every division has tall and short guys with longer and shorter reaches, and every division has people cutting 15-30+ pounds off their walk around weights to make their division cutoff.

Oh man that sucks. I was hoping Rumble would simply decapitate Bones, but now we're gonna get the "Champ is back" shit when suspension's over.

This simply means Bones is meant for an even greater story.

Dude owns several cars but rents a car in his own town. Dude flees from the scene of the accident then runs back to stuff his pockets with cash. Pipe and marijuana found in the car.

This is all the suspicious behavior that caused the UFC to strip dude of his belt.

More shit is going to emerge in the upcoming weeks that would have dragged the UFC's name into the mud.

Was Jones drug dealing? Cheating on his fiance? With prostitutes?

It's all suspicious.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Reebok just terminated its contract with JBJ.

Darren Rovell @darrenrovell · 15m 15 minutes ago
BREAKING: Reebok has terminated the contract of UFC fighter Jon Jones effective immediately.

Darren Rovell @darrenrovell · 14m 14 minutes ago
Jon Jones becomes 1st athlete to lose two shoe & apparel deals (Nike and now Reebok) in 8 months.

So you're disqualifying him for his physical attributes? How dumb. Might as well disqualify Silva, as he has had a reach advantage, and usually a height advantage, over all his opponents. Hell, pretty much every fighter weights 10-25 more pounds over their listed weight come fight night. Let's disqualify them all.
I don't think you realise what p4p means then.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
will post prison, yard-yoked-out and tear drop tattoo adorned jones still adopt the good guy persona, or will we finally see his heel turn, making him potentially likable?

This is the stupidest thing I've read all week and man let me tell you that's a high bar to clear with the Baltimore threads and such blowing up these past few days. Jon Jones is unarguably the LHW GOAT and really only has 1-2 people that could claim all time P4P GOAT status from him at this point. Everyone's "physical attributes contribute to their wins", it's a goddamn sport for fuck's sake. Every division has tall and short guys with longer and shorter reaches, and every division has people cutting 15-30+ pounds off their walk around weights to make their division cutoff.
Calm down. Do you actually know what p4p means? No one said he wasn't the best lhw fighter at all. P4p means his skill sets would work and he would perform well and win in any weight class regardless of his physical attributes. So if Jon Jones was 145 pounds and had no physical advantages over the other fighters, would he beat aldo?

If Jones was moved to any other weight class and was the same size as everyone else, would he still be the best?

The fact that he has a longer reach and is taller than pretty much everyone in the division means he uses that to gain an advantage.

Camwi

Calm down. Do you actually know what p4p means? No one said he wasn't the best lhw fighter at all. P4p means his skill sets would work and he would perform well and win in any weight class regardless of his physical attributes. So if Jon Jones was 145 pounds and had no physical advantages over the other fighters, would he beat aldo?

If Jones was moved to any other weight class and was the same size as everyone else, would he still be the best?

The fact that he has a longer reach and is taller than pretty much everyone in the division means he uses that to gain an advantage.

p4p = Pound For Pound

You're right in that it's supposed to ignore weight, but Jones' reach has nothing to do with weight.

If Jones and Aldo fought at the same weight class, would Jones win? Probably.

Reebok just terminated its contract with JBJ.

I kind of feel bad for the guy. He squandered opportunities to go dark and hide away for awhile and focus on fighting/rehab.

I wish he took them instead of feeding the people that want to see ex-cons and delinquents in a sport that is trying to legitimize itself.

p4p = Pound For Pound

You're right in that it's supposed to ignore weight, but Jones' reach has nothing to do with weight.

If Jones and Aldo fought at the same weight class, would Jones win? Probably.
Of course it's a hypothetical. I also think size is a big factor for this. I think Jones's size plays a big factor in his fights, has he ever been in a fight where he was smaller than his opponent? That's why many thought pride Fedor was so good, because he was always smaller than his opponents yet still won.

Sucks that Jones got stripped, but I see Rumble destroying DC with ease. Rumble is no doubt the most dangerous fighter currently on the UFC roster. Great standup, great wrestling, great TDD and absolutely deadly. He can 1 shot anybody.

Jones has an incredibly awkward build which makes him difficult to fight. He definitely uses that to his advantage. Dat leverage advantage is insane.

I haven't been a fan of Jones in a while, but this is disappointing. I was hoping to eventually see a fighter who was actually good enough to beat him. Not just to see him get humbled but for the thrill of seeing strong competition. Hope he gets his shit together.

Measley

This whole thing is just crazy and a shame. I'm a big fan of Jon Jones, and enjoy every fight I've seen him in. To have it end like this is just sad.

Now all three dominant champs are gone: GSP, Silva, and Jones. It's truly the end of an era.

industrian

I don't know why some of you guys are debating this P4P stuff. Because P4P rankings are nothing more than glorified list wars and are meaningless in every possible way.

will post prison, yard-yoked-out and tear drop tattoo adorned jones still adopt the good guy persona, or will we finally see his heel turn, making him potentially likable?

He's rich and famous so he'll probably go to a fancy prison. But if somehow he ends up in a real jail, then I fear for him. He ain't about that life, and he won't have his mommy around to bail him out.

Yaari

I haven't been a fan of Jones in a while, but this is disappointing. I was hoping to eventually see a fighter who was actually good enough to beat him. Not just to see him get humbled but for the thrill of seeing strong competition. Hope he gets his shit together.

I agree. I'm not a fan but I wanted to see him lose in battle, not this crazy Justin Bieber shit.

ElNino

I don't think you realise what p4p means then.
I think you may be the one who is confused on p4p.

The p4p "rankings", are used to compare fighters in different weight classes relative to how they compare to their own weight class. The fact that Jones is taller and has longer reach than anyone in his weight class does nothing to diminish his p4p ranking since he is still fighting in the same LWH weight class as every other LHW (obvious current events not factoring in).

MjFrancis

Lol Bones isn't getting 3 years for a hit and run guys. Let's get real.
People are saying shit stupid enough that Ninja Scooter has dropped his sarcastic clowning to drop a reality check in here, lol.

There is no way in hell JBJ serves 3 years for a hit and run. Absolutely no way.

OrochiJR

Nooo, not like this!!! I wanted to see his reign come to an end inside the octagon, getting KOd by someone not putting up with his eye-poking shenanigans. Now this is just a bad situation all around. How can this guy be so stupid, just a few months after his coke incident...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom