• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC Champion Jon Jones suspect in felony hit-and-run. Update: stripped of title

Status
Not open for further replies.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I wonder how many LHW rejects currently fighting in the MW division will jump back up to LHW now that Jones isn't there any more. Hell, the next champion is a former WW.

FUME5

Wonder how much the Reebok deal played in to this.

whats that, Daniel Cormier?
tumblr_nj9hys7okC1qahndoo2_500.gif

You gotta love this guy.

Rur0ni

No, I doubt he'll even make the cut to 205 successfully and even if he did Cormier at 100% really doesn't have anything for Johnson outside of his wrestling.

Guys DC was scheduled to fight Bader anyways. He's already started camp. He'll easily be ready to fight.
Yeah, his fight was scheduled for June, so he's already sort of in route. I still don't see him throwing Johnson around, gonna take some real desperate fully committed takedown attempts for that, in my opinion. It's a shame Rumble couldn't acquire the belt via besting Jones though.

industrian

Wonder how much the Reebok deal played in to this.

If you think this was a UFC decision you're crazy. Reebok have just spent a shitload of money pushing Jones, and I doubt they now want their name next to an unstable drug addict who was involved in a hit-n-run on a pregnant woman.

I'm guessing that Reebok threatened to walk away from the UFC if action wasn't taken against Jones.

Heel

Colby Covington ‏@ColbyCovMMA
Crazy to see all this stuff with #jonjones ! The dude never learns and I know because I lived with him 2 years #UFC187

Colby Covington ‏@ColbyCovMMA Apr 27
@HishamKureshi he was a wild man!

@RedRum26 honest opinion man. When he got big he forgot his true friends and is around all these fake people that R dragging him down.

@KeithMurrayLA sorry you feel that way. Just being honest. my family and I did a lot for the guy so when he got famous to forget about us

SUFiymd.jpg

Colby Covington ‏@ColbyCovMMA
Crazy to see all this stuff with #jonjones ! The dude never learns and I know because I lived with him 2 years #UFC187

@HishamKureshi he was a wild man!

@RedRum26 honest opinion man. When he got big he forgot his true friends and is around all these fake people that R dragging him down.

@KeithMurrayLA sorry you feel that way. Just being honest. my family and I did a lot for the guy so when he got famous to forget about us

SUFiymd.jpg

@ColbyCovMMA Apr 27
@mmagenius05 haha it would be easy give away with any hints. @ufc should be releasing something any day now.

Boston

If you think this was a UFC decision you're crazy. Reebok have just spent a shitload of money pushing Jones, and I doubt they now want their name next to an unstable drug addict who was involved in a hit-n-run on a pregnant woman.

I'm guessing that Reebok threatened to walk away from the UFC if action wasn't taken against Jones.

Reebok had no say. Reebok stood by him with the cocaine and all. It's more about making the sport look professional. UFC is trying to get pro MMA legalized in NY, they can't have stuff like this keep happening and keep having jones get away with it. MMA could go right back to a fringe underground sport again if they're not careful.

FUME5

Yeah, can't see uncle Dana making this call otherwise.

Heel

Wow, FOX Sports legal analyst thinks Jon will get 3 years, maybe knocked down to 2, with a plea bargain.

FUME5

Wow, FOX Sports legal analyst thinks Jon will get 3 years, maybe knocked down to 2, with a plea bargain.

Uh, holy shit.

EDIT

Rumble showing some class, just tweeted "@JonnyBones best of luck with everything bro.
Regardless of everything you are still the greatest light heavyweight champion of all time!"

industrian

I wonder if he can share a jail cell with Badr Hari. Transfer Josh Rosenthal to the same place and you've got the Jail FC main event sorted.

Rur0ni

Two years ain't so bad. That's enough to sort of ponder existence, wreck some inmates who try you, get bulked up, come back and smash the HW champion.

industrian

Two years ain't so bad. That's enough to sort of ponder existence, wreck some inmates who try you, get bulked up, come back and smash the HW champion.

He's rich, so I imagine he'll be going to a white jail. No need to worry about inmates there.

Heel

Lol Bones isn't getting 3 years for a hit and run guys. Let's get real.

Yeah, caught me by surprise. Guy's name was Rob Becker. Twitter seems to think he meant jail time and not probation. He also said that anything prior wouldn't factor in based on it being his first felony. Curious to see some NM law.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Rumble showing some class, just tweeted "@JonnyBones best of luck with everything bro.
Regardless of everything you are still the greatest light heavyweight champion of all time!"

I was trying to think of an example of concern trolling the other day, and this is perfect, thx.

iLLmAtlc

Zuffa trying to play people like marks. Strip the title now and then hype up the comeback fight to the moon like Anderson-Wildman. I'm not falling for it bruhs

Afrikan

I was trying to think of an example of concern trolling the other day, and this is perfect, thx.

the problem with this is, Rumble has always treated Jones with respect...even before this incident...they both played a joke on Dana and acted like they were about to fight on stage.

Rumble means it. Although I'm sure he wouldn't mind beating someone he calls the greatest LHW of all time. :D

industrian

DC crying his way into a title shot. That's gonna be a tough sell, Dana.

It was either DC or Bader. :/

Speaking of which, I wonder what they'll do for that New Orleans card that was being hyped up as a "homecoming" of sorts for DC.

Afrikan

like someone mentioned earlier, look for many of the former LHWs to come back to the division like Machida, Henderson, Vitor, Mussasi, etc..

Perfect time for Rampage to work his way to the title one last time, before Jones gets out of Jail.

2009-09-08-rampage_jackson.jpg

industrian

like someone mentioned earlier, look for many of the former LHWs to come back to the division like Machida, Henderson, Vitor, Mussasi, etc..

Pretty much. The MW division is full of LHW rejects. That and MW right now looks kind of "boring" - the only guys in play right now are Weidman, Belfort, Rockhold, Jacare and Romero. But now that the top dog Jones is gone - and Mr. Wrestlefuck Phil Davis is no longer there as a gatekeeper - I wouldn't be surprised if dudes like Bisping even decided to try their luck at LHW again. I also imagine that one or two HWs are considering cutting down to LHW right now. It's well and truly open season in the LHW division right now.

People will argue that Rumble's wrestling defense is good because he beat Phil "Bellator" Davis. lol

DC is already wheeling out the "Rumble got subbed by Koscheck, lol" trash talk. But I don't see any way that DC wins this. DC is fast, but Rumble is a beast. I expect a KO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom