• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC Champion Jon Jones suspect in felony hit-and-run. Update: stripped of title

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean it does seem like he took off because he had drugs on him and possibly under the influence of something. And since he isn't able to be reached yet he's probably talking to his lawyer before talking to cops.

Or it could be nothing ....

Its for certain something. These rumors popped up hours before the police said anything. If it was just a fabrication the UFC, Jones, his team, his gym etc would have made a huge open statement contradicting the reports.

The fact everyone is still silent is not a good sign. Something happened

StoopKid

fuckinprioritiesyagoof.gif

Amazing first post.

BadAss2961

Claims to be a Christian.

Gets into a accident with two very young women in the middle of the night in NYC. Despite having a long time girl friend (mother of his children) in New Mexico.

Messages people in Instagram and Twitter telling them they're bitches and faggots. Talks shit about everyone and deletes his videos.

Comes up hot for Cocaine. Goes into rehab for a day and says he was healed by God's touch. Goes on Fox and tells the world he is sorry and he will be a good Christian boy.

The UFC ignores his ridiculously low t:e levels.

Now this.
The fakeness is where Jones' likeability really takes a hit. People like real choirboys, and people like bad boys. No one likes frauds who want it both ways.

If he was the cause of the incident, UFC would have no choice but to strip him of the title and give him a long suspension. Their image further gets tainted otherwise and they backed the dude for his coke use, so to back him anymore would further themselves as his bitches.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The fakeness is where Jones' likeability really takes a hit. People like real choirboys, and people like bad boys. No one likes frauds who want it both ways.

Him getting caught on cam shit talking Cormier let the cat out. Hahaha the look on his face when the producer told him they were still broadcasting.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
If this is what it looks like, Dana needs to strip him of the belt and suspend him for a year.

Besides, maybe by then there'll be someone that can beat him.

UFC should hit Jones with the most damaging punishment possible for him
Ban him from doing that fingerpoke bullshit during fights

His likability doesn't really matter because he and the UFC aren't big enough for it to matter. This isn't Peyton Manning or Tom Brady getting coked up and crashing into cars. Most people don't care about what Jones is snorting or how much of an asshole he is.

His likability doesn't really matter because he and the UFC aren't big enough for it to matter. This isn't Peyton Manning or Tom Brady getting coked up and crashing into cars. Most people don't care about what Jones is snorting or how much of an asshole he is.

Aren't the UFC the only legally sanctioned MMA body in the US?

People will care if the product itself is being tarnished.

If this affects fights, Dana won't protect him.

Yeesh. So much vitriol.

Personally I find Jones situation sad. Dude was young, a dominant champion, he had the whole word in front of him. I mean he was Champion of the WORLD at 23. Insanity. But he's ruining his life with substance abuse issues.

At the same time though I can see where the "hate" comes from. I mean this is a guy who would brag about how big of a Christian he is and how he hates drugs and alcohol. Guy would talk like a saint and trash talk people then go out and get in a drunk driving accident.

Either way Jones is a mess and he needs to get real intervention in his life.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I don't think much will come from this to be honest. Jon has enough time to get rid of the evidence and get the coke out of his system. He'll lawyer up and be good to go for the AJ fight.

I don't think much will come from this to be honest. Jon has enough time to get rid of the evidence and get the coke out of his system. He'll lawyer up and be good to go for the AJ fight.

When's the last time something like this happened? The Rampage thing, right? This feels very similar to that situation, and I don't remember anything much coming of that.

Aren't the UFC the only legally sanctioned MMA body in the US?

People will care if the product itself is being tarnished.

If this affects fights, Dana won't protect him.

People don't care enough about the sport to get involved with the fighters on that level, save for maybe Ronda and Brock when it was involved. Nobody else has that kind of cache. Bones being a coke head and an idiot isn't likely to hurt the UFC's or his own bottom line. It's like when random NFL players, even good ones, get busted for PEDs. People don't give a shit the way they might with an Olympic athlete or baseball player.

Hmmmm...

Was his car left at the scene and he ran on foot? How could they know about drugs and alcohol? Maybe there were a few witnesses that said so. If hit crashed into someone, and drove away in the car, I'm not sure how they could say drugs and alcohol were involved in an official statement. Not that the assumption isn't understandable, but you know.

People don't care enough about the sport to get involved with the fighters on that level, save for maybe Ronda and Brock when it was involved. Nobody else has that kind of cache. Bones being a coke head and an idiot isn't likely to hurt the UFC's or his own bottom line. It's like when random NFL players, even good ones, get busted for PEDs. People don't give a shit the way they might with an Olympic athlete or baseball player.

Jones last PPV did over 750k buys

Thats pretty damn huge. He's no Mayweather or NFL athlete but he is also not a small fish at all.

Hmmmm...

Was his car left at the scene and he ran on foot? How could they know about drugs and alcohol? Maybe there were a few witnesses that said so. If hit crashed into someone, and drove away in the car, I'm not sure how they could say drugs and alcohol were involved in an official statement. Not that the assumption isn't understandable, but you know.

Both Jones and his vehicle are missing.

Instro

It's crazy that he's a complete cracked out mess out of the ring but somehow still dominates with almost no problem inside of it. Is there any other precedence for this? Ray Leonard? Julio Cesar Chavez? The boogar sugar eventually seems to catch up to everyone though.

Diego Maradona, Andre Agassi, Darryl Strawberry, Lawrence Taylor, Dock Ellis...the list is probably endless of known and unknown drug addicts at the highest levels of athletics.

You're going to have a situation like in cycling where 90%+ of the athletes are on something.

Jon Bones Jones is a big name in the UFC. I can see people avoiding the UFC because Dana isn't keeping shit in check.

No, MMA is regulated by state athletic commissions.

So like boxing, even the UFC can influence the commissions?

BadAss2961

True, but i'm just talking from a fan perspective. Those that actively watch UFC and follow the fighters are split with Jon Jones. He's a great fighter, but he's also fake and sort of the golden boy of the promotion that gets away with everything.

Personally, I hope he hasn't fucked up too bad. I want to see the Rumble fight next month.

Heel

i havnt been in the ufc loop for a long time, but what is the main reason why alot of people don't like Jon Jones? i mean before all of this, he's always been hated on it seems

I think the ball got rolling when Rashad Evans, a former trainer partner, said he was fake in the build up to their fight. I'm pretty sure at that point in time it was a statement that was out of left field to the viewing audience. Jon Jones was a guy who admittedly snitched on kids in high school for smoking weed and ran down a woman's stolen purse while in the middle of a meditation session.

Jones last PPV did over 750k buys

Thats pretty damn huge. He's no Mayweather or NFL athlete but he is also not a small fish at all.

THe NFL is also huge, but most don't seem to give a shit that players test positive for PEDs (save for Quarterbacks). It's a different level of fame and with that comes different expectations. I doubt very many people who buy and watch PPVs are going to be put off because one of the participants does blow or acts like a bone head. If you are the Quarterback of the Patriots or the centerfielder of the Yankees could you get away with being this big of an asshat without catching a ton of heat (see Johnny Manziel)? Hell no. But a boxer, or defensive end, or mma fighter? Sure. Boxing is the testing point for this and has been for years. People have never been shy about dropping $50-60 to watch reprehensible individuals punch each other in the face. Floyd is about the break the PPV record in about 6 days and he's a scumbag.

It's crazy that he's a complete cracked out mess out of the ring but somehow still dominates with almost no problem inside of it. Is there any other precedence for this? Ray Leonard? Julio Cesar Chavez? The boogar sugar eventually seems to catch up to everyone though.

Who knows whats real but supposedly a LOT of the big stars in the 80's were using during the season. There's one hotel in Oakland that was famous for not having any NBA teams stay there but half of the players would show up at during road trips.

THe NFL is also huge, but most don't seem to give a shit that players test positive for PEDs (save for Quarterbacks). It's a different level of fame and with that comes different expectations. I doubt very many people who buy and watch PPVs are going to be put off because one of the participants does blow or acts like a bone head. If you are the Quarterback of the Patriots or the centerfielder of the Yankees could you get away with being this big of an asshat without catching a ton of heat (see Johnny Manziel)? Hell no. But a boxer, or defensive end, or mma fighter? Sure. Boxing is the testing point for this and has been for years. People have never been shy about dropping $50-60 to watch reprehensible individuals punch each other in the face. Floyd is about the break the PPV record in about 6 days and he's a scumbag.

Yeah I agree and solid points. Honestly combat athletes in general are viewed as "bad boys" by the general public so that keeps them under the radar a lot more. I was just saying Jones is a decently large scale athlete.

AJLma

PersonallyI find Jones situation sad. Dude was young, a dominant champion, he had the whole word in front of him. I mean he was Champion of the WORLD at 23. Insanity. But he's ruining his life with substance abuse issues.

At the same time though I can see where the "hate" comes from. I mean this is a guy who would brag about how big of a Christian he is and how he hates drugs and alcohol. Guy would talk like a saint and trash talk people then go out and get in a drunk driving accident.

Either way Jones is a mess and he needs to get real intervention in his life.

Hold on.

PersonallyI find Jones situation sad. Dude is young, a dominant champion, he has the whole word in front of him. I mean he is Champion of the WORLD at 27. Insanity.

He's not dead, and the rest is conjecture. He's 27 years old, world champion of a still largely under-appreciated sport that the media(and masses) are ready to jump at 24/7 for the pettiest of issues that really have no impact on anything of anyone's concern.

Yea, he may have a substance abuse problem. If he does, hopefully the people around him sort it out. Until someone's pressing charges, no one knows what happened and all of the judgement is a bit premature.

Yeah I agree and solid points. Honestly combat athletes in general are viewed as "bad boys" by the general public so that keeps them under the radar a lot more. I was just saying Jones is a decently large scale athlete.

Oh he definitely is, and it's got to be a concern for the UFC that one of their few remaining names (and draws) is acting like this if this stuff is true.

The NFL has the revenues to make sure their players are protected.

Boxing is a wholly crooked sport as well, but the appeal has shifted internationally, as the UFC seems to be doing as well.

Hold on.

He's not dead, and the rest is conjecture. He's 27 years old, world champion of a still largely under-appreciated sport that the media(and masses) are ready to jump at 24/7 for the pettiest of issues that really have no impact on anything of anyone's concern.

Yea, he may have a substance abuse problem. If he does, hopefully the people around him sort it out. Until someone's pressing charges, no one knows what happened and all of the judgement is a bit premature.

Bro I'm talking about his past, he defeated Rua for the title at the age of 23

Edit: nvm I think I misunderstood your post

the last time people saw mma fighters as bad boys was like '97

Nah there's plenty of people that have that stigma about combat aports athletes. Not just MMA fighters but also boxers.

Heel

FrontRowBrian® ‏@FrontRowBrian 8m8 minutes ago
Just checked my twitter for the first time today. Got hacked. Seeing all these tweets about Jon Jones. What happened?

Seems plausible. I forgive him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom