• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJV3

It's damn good news for us in our Tory-facing seats. Means testing winter fuel allowance is fair and we agree. Selling your loved one's future inheritance to pay for your own social care is cruel.

The grey vote will not be pleased.

Care agencies on the other hand will be ecstatic, I can see costs shooting upwards if this source of cash happens.

CTLance

I'm starting to think this is all a sham.

Start Brexit, rile up the populace with strong rhetoric and patriotic posturing, then oh - so - sadly lose the election. That means Labour and LibDem get handed the hot potato, and due to unreasonable attitude of the voting public they inevitably get bent over a barrel during the Brexit talks, which leads to them getting tarred and feathered by the angry masses. Afterwards you can swoop back in and be the great fixer and doer.

I mean, that's what I think of as an outsider as I watch the Labour and Libdem counts slowly creep upwards ever so slightly maybe possibly if you look at the numbers in a certain way. Does anyone seriously want to win this election? Anyone sane, I mean? Seems like a death curse for the party that wins.

I get it. The Tories are pushing this so the Bank of Mum and Dad gets an injection of liquidity, and therefore house prices stay afloat or increase. You're going to pay for your social care down to your last £100k worth of assets, but there's nothing stopping you from transferring most of the rest of your assets to your children in your 60s and 70s and surviving long enough thereafter that they can't be clawed back. "You're going to give them to the government, you might as well give them to your children." Classic Tory policy.

Yes, although the article's making fun. It must be nice being in a party with a pet newspaper.

I would like to clarify that a whip-around with yellow buckets is a proud Liberal tradition and I will not have it joked about by a Guardianista!

Ahem.

I enjoyed it. It was nice to have a lot of people around - about 1000 people attended, according to Mark Pack. Farron is a likeable speaker who throws a bit of non-forced humour into his speeches. The manifesto will be discussed and compared over the next three weeks - setting out a stall of "This is Tim Farron's Liberal Democrats" was the goal of the night.

The dude gave his speech standing on top of an EU/UK flag combo for crying out loud.

And running the event in a nightclub was distinctly New Labour, which bizarrely is the position we have now occupied on the political spectrum.

Morat

Banned
Yes, although the article's making fun. It must be nice being in a party with a pet newspaper.

I would like to clarify that a whip-around with yellow buckets is a proud Liberal tradition and I will not have it joked about by a Guardianista!

Ahem.

I enjoyed it. It was nice to have a lot of people around - about 1000 people attended, according to Mark Pack. Farron is a likeable speaker who throws a bit of non-forced humour into his speeches. The manifesto will be discussed and compared over the next three weeks - setting out a stall of "This is Tim Farron's Liberal Democrats" was the goal of the night.

The dude gave his speech standing on top of an EU/UK flag combo for crying out loud.

And running the event in a nightclub was distinctly New Labour, which bizarrely is the position we have now occupied on the political spectrum.

Although it is indeed a pisstake, for a John Crace job it is virtually praise!

Anyway, glad to hear you enjoyed it.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
This social care reform seems to be going down like a diarrhoea-filled balloon.

Why are the Tories pledging anything? They don't need to do anything to win this election.

Because of the Salisbury convention.

Unpopular policies go in the manifesto not to win the election but to prevent House of Lords opposing them (where the Tories do not have a majority).

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Unpopular policies go in the manifesto not to win the election but to prevent House of Lords opposing them (where the Tories do not have a majority).

What are the odds that the Salisbury convention will hold, though? I mean, it is just a convention and we are living in unconventional times.

What are the odds that the Salisbury convention will hold, though? I mean, it is just a convention and we are living in unconventional times.

If the convention collapsed you would have a constitutional crisis.

The manifesto is the core document in the British constitution. To vote it down as an unelected chamber would be to challenge that.

The job of the HOL is to provide scrutiny on legislation and to make sure the government does not veer wildly off course.

Nobody wants May to do what she would certainly do if the convention collapsed, and that is flood the Lords with Tories.

(This is also why it rankles me when Andrew 'Friend of LDs Everywhere' Neil says that the LD manifesto is pointless - it's literally the most important document that the LDs, and all other parties, produce).

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Do British PMs not have the power to simply appoint more Lords from their party like they do here in Canada?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Nobody wants May to do what she would certainly do if the convention collapsed, and that is flood the Lords with Tories.

May has been dropping veiled hints about doing the latter anyway, though, at which point there's little incentive for the Lords to just mope along.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Do British PMs not have the power to simply appoint more Lords from their party like they do here in Canada?

They do, but the House of Lords is IIRC the second largest legislative chamber anywhere in the world after Cameron went full hog. If they get stuffed any more, the system will break.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

They do, but to get even a bare majority they'd need to appoint another 300 peers. That's not in any way politically feasible for a party that has been banging on about the cost of politicians.

Acorn

Repealing the FPTA, because the PM being able to call a snap election whenever they want is good for democracy.
Being locked into 5 years pissed me off. When only the walking dead govts used the full 5 before.

And the act has already been shown to be useless.

No, the act means the government must get parliamentary consent. There is no good reason for the PM (or more technically the Crown) having absolute authority over snap elections.

Par Score

Labour +8 in latest IpsosMORI poll.

Con 49 (nc);
Lab 34 (+8);
LibDem 7 (-6);
Green 3 (+2);
UKIP 2 (-2)

34! My earlier prediction of mid-30s is looking pessimistic, Labour could end up in the high-30s at this rate. Of course the Tories will be in the 40s at least so that's a shame, but at least Jezza (or someone pushing similarly Left positions) will be staying on.

Insane that UKIP, Greens and the Lib Dems can't manage 15% between them. Our brief dalliance with a multi-party system appears to be well and truly over.

Tory manifesto: People must show ID to vote in future elections.

Oh good, I was worried our transformation into Little America wasn't going quite fast enough.

Seriously though, fuck this voter suppression bullshit.

Meadows

Banned

Con 49 (nc);
Lab 34 (+8);
LibDem 7 (-6);
Green 3 (+2);
UKIP 2 (-2)

34! My earlier prediction of mid-30s is looking pessimistic, Labour could end up in the high-30s at this rate. Of course the Tories will be in the 40s at least so that's a shame, but at least Jezza (or someone pushing similarly Left positions) will be staying on.

Insane that UKIP, Greens and the Lib Dems can't manage 15% between them. Our brief dalliance with a multi-party system appears to be well and truly over.

UKIP on 2% is delicious

kusrIpr.jpg

Ipsos MORI has the Tories holding steady while Labour makes a big move from April to May.

Mr. Sam

There's still several weeks to go until the election and opinion polls typically flatter Labour so let's not get so excited by that "bounce."

Ah nice, voter suppression.

For real though, voter fraud is such a minuscule problem and the need to show ID in the US was, let's not beat around the bush, instituted to stop ethnic minorities voting.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
THE LIBERAL DEMOCRATS could see a historic split in its ranks in the wake of the election as up to 4 MPs reportedly threaten to walkout and form their own breakaway group in an attempt to force out Tim Farron.

The Daily Telegraph reports some Liberal Democrat candidates are in talks with potential donors about a new ”Social Democrats" group if the current party leader remains.

A potential outcome would be for the MPs to become grouped together in the House of Commons under that banner, potentially with a mind to merging with the Labour Party.

If an organised anti-Faron group came together they could prove a sizeable opponent to Farron, who has said he might stay on as leader even if the Conservatives win on June 8.

The rumoured talks are said to have been going on in private so the MPs do not appear disloyal and do not threaten their re-election next month.

A senior Liberal Democrat source told the Telegraph ”about 4" leftist MPs were likely to sit in their own grouping following the election.

Theonik

For me even if labour doesn't win I think we'll see some interesting times if corbyn can get close to 40%.

At the very least it will demonstrate this direction is what voters want.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
There's still several weeks to go until the election and opinion polls typically flatter Labour so let's not get so excited by that "bounce."

For real though, voter fraud is such a minuscule problem and the need to show ID in the US was, let's not beat around the bush, instituted to stop ethnic minorities voting.

I don't think it is a racial issue so much here in the UK, more an age thing.

I'd take these Labour swings with a big pinch of salt. Let's wait and see how sustained it is.

But that only worked because "snatcher" rhymed with "Thatcher"! Could she really not come up with one that rhymed with "May"?!

May, May, the kids showed dismay, as she arrived and their lunch stole away. May, May, whatever she say, she takes their lunch like she's one of the Krays. May, May, she made her horse bray, as her dogs ripped the fox in an act of affray.

What about simply Theresa Pay.

We have a Audi/VW dealerships called Smith Knight and Fay but are well known as Smith Knight and Pay. Part costs are extortion.

hodgy100

For me even if labour doesn't win I think we'll see some interesting times if corbyn can get close to 40%.

At the very least it will demonstrate this direction is what voters want.

40% would be absolutely excellent for labour imo. Considering the battering they've been taking. Like you say it gives them a very clear approval of the direction they have taken.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Corbyn's polling is now beating Miliband's at the same point when you use the same weightings.

I mean, Labour is still getting mashed either way, but I think we're getting close to the tipping point where there's simply no going back to what was. Not to say that Corbynism is going to stick around, but at the very least, "New Labourism" is dead.

Hazzuh

Con 49 (nc);
Lab 34 (+8);
LibDem 7 (-6);
Green 3 (+2);
UKIP 2 (-2)

Oh good, I was worried our transformation into Little America wasn't going quite fast enough.

Seriously though, fuck this voter suppression bullshit.

That is an absolutely remarkable poll. Who would have expected in 2010 that you would see the two big parties getting 80+% of the vote in 2017? 83% would be the highest they've gotten since 1970.

Corbyn's polling is now beating Miliband's at the same point when you use the same weightings.

I mean, Labour is still getting mashed either way, but I think we're getting close to the tipping point where there's simply no going back to what was. Not to say that Corbynism is going to stick around, but at the very least, "New Labourism" is dead.

The big question is really what the makeup of Labour's vote is right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom