• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Farron got asked about abortion today on his interview on Sky. Farron says several times he's pro choice, but the interviewer wants to know his religious view.

Not really fair, but hey, it's politics.

Did anyone watch the Corbyn interview with sophy ridge on sky?

I thought he did really well but God damn was ridge trying her best to drag him down. Her refusal to accept his answer on the IRA was really infuriating.

It's like she was trying to reduce the argument to good vs bad instead of admitting it was a complicated issue. He condemned all the violence but that wasn't enough.

Otherwise his answers were good and he managed to shut her down in the end.

This and Farron above aren't cricket, think Corbyn did well but the Conservatives spin machine was working already.

Clip up on The Independent with the headline of "Farron refuses to say whether abortion is wrong"

Said 30 second clip (behind a 30 second advert) consists of Farron saying that he believes abortion should be safe and legally accessible.

Sigh. Do our media have to play so many damn games?

Good to know Corbyn got it as hard as Farron did.

I am perfectly happy to accept that Farron has a religious view on abortion (it is a moral split that divides society) but what on Earth is wrong by actually being a liberal and being pro-choice anyway?

EmiPrime

Good to know Corbyn got it as hard as Farron did.

I am perfectly happy to accept that Farron has a religious view on abortion (it is a moral split that divides society) but what on Earth is wrong by actually being a liberal and being pro-choice anyway?

The average member of the public isn't aware of and doesn't care for the nuances of liberal ideology. Farron is naive and the Lib Dems as a whole don't know how to win. When an interviewer asks such a question he should immediately reply no and use it as an opportunity to promote the good things Lib Dems have done and progressive Lib Dem policy. Leave no room for ambiguity.

It genuinely pisses me off that the Lib Dems can't see this. I am fucking sick of losing elections because of the naivety of my side. The Tories know how to win by hammering a few simple messages into the consciousness of the public repeatedly over months/years and projecting an image of authority, while we ask for understanding regarding reconciliation between being religious and being liberal. Give me strength...

PJV3

Fucking Boris going through Peston's notes when he was interviewing another guest. It must be getting to him if he doesn't think his waffling and throwing in an obscure word is enough.

My suspicion is that Labour is being overstated right now. That and the Labour Uncut thing.

Of course I am saying that as a Lib Dem who is hoping that the continuing Tory slide and Labour being weaker than expected ultimately help us to some surprise wins on polling night. :)

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Anyone else getting Corbyn attack ads on youtube at the moment? Just started today for me, as a 30 something male I imagine I'm a prime target for the Tories but I wonder how far beyond that the targeting is going.

pulsemyne

Anyone else getting Corbyn attack ads on youtube at the moment? Just started today for me, as a 30 something male I imagine I'm a prime target for the Tories but I wonder how far beyond that the targeting is going.
Run adblocker and watch those pesky tory ads disappear.

My suspicion is that Labour is being overstated right now. That and the Labour Uncut thing.

Of course I am saying that as a Lib Dem who is hoping that the continuing Tory slide and Labour being weaker than expected ultimately help us to some surprise wins on polling night. :)
Best of luck, but you might want to replace your leader. He is dragging the party down with all these religious comments he made in the past being brought up. Was talking to a couple of female friends today about him and neither of them were particularly impressed with the abortion comments he made a few years ago. Oops.

The article doesn't actually say anything beyond a) Miliband got a lower share of the BME vote than Labour did in 2010; b) BME voters are moving out of inner cities.

Unless I've missed something there's not a word in there about how the BME vote is trending post-2015, just that all major parties are fighting for it.

sammex

FT getting in on the dementia tax.

DAYKqEsW0AAfnBk.jpg

AHA-Lambda

Yeah back half of it was all devolved issues and Sturgeon ended up getting pummelled by a nurse from the audience who uses food banks :/

boxoctosis

No one watching the Scottish leaders debate?

Watching it now on +1. Aside from Sturgeon, it's like watching a council debate. Piss poor.

And then there the nurse who claims she uses a foodbank but Twitter is convinced she's lying and the daughter of a Tory councillor who is making shit up whilst living the good life according to her various social media accounts.

Edit. Who knows anymore. The only takeaway for me is I hate all the main parties equally and wonder which one is going to get my vote. Gah.

Hyams

I suspect farron will be gone soon

I suspect you're right. Shame, as I do like him, and his politics seem to tally pretty close to mine.

Who could replace him, though? I imagine Clegg wouldn't take the job, and Lamb is at real risk of losing his seat.

Par Score

I suspect farron will be gone soon

Farron is almost as much of a lead balloon as Clegg by this point, too much dodgy religious stuff that he's trying to be too clever by half about.

I suspect you're right. Shame, as I do like him, and his politics seem to tally pretty close to mine.

Who could replace him, though? I imagine Clegg wouldn't take the job, and Lamb is at real risk of losing his seat.

The whole Party-Leader-isn't-an-MP thing worked well for UKIP (less well for the Greens).

Not that the Lib Dems are particularly stacked with talent inside or outside of Parliament at the moment.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Farron is almost as much of a lead balloon as Clegg by this point, too much dodgy religious stuff that he's trying to be too clever by half about.

The whole Party-Leader-isn't-an-MP thing worked well for UKIP (less well for the Greens).

Not that the Lib Dems are particularly stacked with talent inside or outside of Parliament at the moment.

Vince Cable if he wins back Twickenham?

Audioboxer

No one watching the Scottish leaders debate?

I was working earlier but the Scottish only stuff is usually insufferable. A big reason I want independence is to get away from parties up here that are basically just mini-London versions of their ties. Until Scottish Labour and Scottish Conservative actually differentiate themselves all voting for them will do is career us headfirst into the dumb fuckery of English politics and where the UK at large is heading. As that is often right wing leaning and for shite like Brexit, no thanks. Attack the SNP for not being perfect because no, they aren't, but routinely look at Health and things like Tuition fees in England and be thankful Scotland isn't as bad. Pls vote Scottish Conservative to introduce tuition fees, prescription fees, hospital parking fees and worse waiting times than up here? No thanks.

As much as I wish like minded people across the UK well, I doubt my vote will ever go to a party that isn't pro independence. So Greens or SNP it is currently. Once independence is achieved it'll add far more likelihood for a better political environment in Scotland. If it isn't achieved then "God" help us when the UK will ever sort its shit out. It'll probably be another massive chunk of our lives over. But who knows dat Corbynator is tearing up these recent polls. There might be hope yet. Scottish Labour is still utter garbage though. I'd take Corbyn over Dugdale. I'd take roadkill over Davidson.

KZObsessed

Looked into my constituency for the first time and we've had a lib Dem MP since 1997. Until last election where we went conservative. But everywhere I go I see Vote Labour signs and anti-tory posters. First election I've ever been interested in. Don't know what's going to happen in my constituency but I think the tories might be in for a shock.

All we need now is a video of May eating a fox and Corbyns' got this.

Shame we'll get Diane Abbott denying the holocaust or some shit instead.

Moze

Banned
Woah, that'd actually be an increase for Labour compared to 2015, wouldn't it

Miliband was at about 31-35% on the polls throughout his whole campaign leading up the the election. He ended with 30.4%. Polling methods are supposed to be better this time though. Not really sure what that means.

Does anyone know if these polls were conducted after the media outrage regarding the 'dementia tax'?

HaloRose

Banned
two polls showing it within 9 points corbyn could push this into hung parliament territory with just a couple of weeks to go. disaster for the conservatives, practically dreamland for Labour.

Snowman

Feels like things are going to improve slightly more for labour and then conservatives will pull out the big guns (fear mongering about what a hung parliament would mean for brexit negotiations, more crap about Corbyn's past) and it'll swing back to a pretty big conservative lead just in time for 8th June. Would love to be proven wrong though.

My LD thoughts tonight:

Tory wobble = increasing hope of LDs holding the three Brexit seats. It's clear that the Tory ship is slowly sinking, but it will not go any lower unless an LD rise happens. Really excellent news for the SW London bunch.

If the Tory ship does not self right soon I think Twickenham is an easy gain. That may be offset by losing Richmond... But it depends how badly the Tories start sinking in London.

Also clear that SNP tide is turning in Scotland. LDs are gaining at least two seats up there.

Given that the five Remain seats are unlikely to fall this election due to an absence to do so, I am now once again cautiously optimistic for some modest gains this election.

I'm happy for Farron to stay on if we get a decent vote share increase or a net gain of seats. Goodness knows we need someone can go through the wars.

If he was to step down, the contest would be a coronation for Jo Swinson. I am going to be pessimistic and say Lamb loses his seat, but I think Dunbartonshire East is a lock for Swinson's return. Vince should have stood for the leadership in '07, but if he stood I would vote for him in a heartbeat. But age is against him.

And yeah, I want a hung parliament. May and Corbyn get on the batphone to Farron and he's like "nah". We ruled out any deal.

May hangs on in minority, government collapses at the end of the Brexit deal. Civil war in both main parties, a more well known Farron and higher profile LD party versus a train wreck. Would be entertaining.

Soul_Pie

I'm a long way away in Aus but it seems like there seems to be a lot more positivity surrounding Corbyn recently if social media and news articles are anything to go by. (not always an accurate reflection I know) But May seems truly unimpressive and seems to be putting everybody offside somehow.

Lego Boss

Love hm or hate him, you can say one thing for JC, he's got stickability. He won't give in easily and is stubborn AF.

He's like the Arsene Wenger of British politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom