• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Don't do it to yourselves, guys....

Do what?

5kfz7kn.gif

Calabi

All the Sunday papers seem pretty negative towards the tories this week. Even the Mail are using the term "dementia tax" and highlighted the slip in the polls

can you u-turn a manifesto pledge before the election? we might find out if this continues.

Oh so they arent quite as dumb as they appear. They realise they'll be just as screwed as everyone else under the Tory's probably even more so. All that news they like to propagate would likely come under some heavy restrictions and regulation.

Ashes

Banned
The Tories have u-turned before. And they always do better after the U-turn, so it may turn out a good way of showing people they are 'listening'.

Maledict

I managed to get one Ukipper voter to vote Labour while canvassing today so please lay the credit for the inevitable Labour landslide at my door. The sunburn will be worth it.

Edit: It was surprisingly easy to hit the Tories on the "death tax," triple lock, winter fuel allowance thing on the doorstep.

Just going to pit this out there - I utterly loathe the fact that labour have suddenly clasped the Triple lock to heart because the tories have (rightfully) decided to end it. It was a fucking awful policy for day 1, it is literally a direct transfer of wealth from young people disabled people and poor people to bribe the elderly for votes. For a leader who is supposedly known for his courage and standing up for his beliefs no matter what I'm extremely dissapointed that when the tories actually do something right he changes tune because it's worth some easy votes.

It's a cheap political tactic that makes this country worse and the party should be better,

Hazzuh

Obviously it is a good thing for Labour if they are polling better but it also means that Tories attacks on them may land a little better. Both the coalition of chaos stuff and the attacks on Corbyn's character are much more relevant now than they were a week ago.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Just going to pit this out there - I utterly loathe the fact that labour have suddenly clasped the Triple lock to heart because the tories have (rightfully) decided to end it. It was a fucking awful policy for day 1, it is literally a direct transfer of wealth from young people disabled people and poor people to bribe the elderly for votes. For a leader who is supposedly known for his courage and standing up for his beliefs no matter what I'm extremely dissapointed that when the tories actually do something right he changes tune because it's worth some easy votes.

It's a cheap political tactic that makes this country worse and the party should be better,

I agree it's a terrible policy. Conversely, the Labour manifesto as a whole is wildly better. If I have to take double-lock plus all the rest of the Conservative manifesto, versus triple-lock plus all the rest of the Labour manifesto, I'm pretty happy to compromise on triple-lock.

As a three-time election-winning Labour leader once said 'If you can't beat them, triangulate the shit out of them."

Even if the corbyn does the impossible the labour backbenches will still want to get rid of him

If he wins he'll have to govern and quite simply it would be impossible for him to push through his wackier ideas. Him being PM is best case scenario regardless of how unlikely and inept he personally might be.

Also he isn't winning and will in fact lose badly, so save yourself the pain and accept it.

Theonik

Much as I understand people's anger at the triple lock especially coming in an era where real wages for working people are declining, the measure has merit and regardless withdrawing it for existing pensioners and people soon reaching their retirement is a major change over their living circumstances that they have little to no control over.

Maledict

If he wins he'll have to govern and quite simply it would be impossible for him to push through his wackier ideas. Him being PM is best case scenario regardless of how unlikely and inept he personally might be.

Also he isn't winning and will in fact lose badly, so save yourself the pain and accept it.

If he matches Ed Miliband vote total then there won't be a leadership challenge. If he exceeds it, as seems likely, then he's safe and won't even have to stand down u less he wants to. At that point even I'll grit my teeth and acknowledge he has the right to stay on a few more years, much as I dislike how he's running the party,

Maledict

Much as I understand people's anger at the triple lock especially coming in an era where real wages for working people are declining, the measure has merit and regardless withdrawing it for existing pensioners and people soon reaching their retirement is a major change over their living circumstances that they have little to no control over.

It doesn't have merit. It was a literal bribe for votes. why do we chose one relatively better off area of society to receive such massive boosts whilst at the same time slashing money for the disabled to the ground? All those brutal welfare cuts the coalition imposed were swallowed up entirely by the triple lock rise.

Also your logic on not changing it means that we should never make any changes at all to old age people. That seems slightly difficult.

Theonik

It doesn't have merit. It was a literal bribe for votes. why do we chose one relatively better off area of society to receive such massive boosts whilst at the same time slashing money for the disabled to the ground? All those brutal welfare cuts the coalition imposed were swallowed up entirely by the triple lock rise.

Also your logic on not changing it means that we should never make any changes at all to old age people. That seems slightly difficult.
When it comes to pensions I support that yes.

If he matches Ed Miliband vote total then there won't be a leadership challenge. If he exceeds it, as seems likely, then he's safe and won't even have to stand down u less he wants to. At that point even I'll grit my teeth and acknowledge he has the right to stay on a few more years, much as I dislike how he's running the party,

If he loses seats the vote total won't matter. I have seen the Labour party after an election defeat and I know what's coming if he doesn't win seats.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If he loses seats the vote total won't matter. I have seen the Labour party after an election defeat and I know what's coming if he doesn't win seats.

If Corbyn increases Miliband's vote share, he'll probably keep the membership. If he keeps the membership, the PLP can't shift him. The sooner they figure that out, the better. I'm not sure I can face another farcical waste of time where some sacrifical lamb offers up a leadership challenge doomed to fail from the get go.

Mr. Sam

It's at the point where I'm campaigning for Labour in marginal seats but I had friends discouraging me from voting Labour in my safe Tory seat yesterday.

Don't worry - I promptly reported them all to the party.

Theonik

If Corbyn increases Miliband's vote share, he'll probably keep the membership. If he keeps the membership, the PLP can't shift him. The sooner they figure that out, the better. I'm not sure I can face another farcical waste of time where some sacrifical lamb offers up a leadership challenge doomed to fail from the get go.
My worry is the PLP is just *that* stupid. After all they had two leadership races in about a year second of which was them trying to kick out Corbyn with no indication membership would support it.

excowboy

My worry is the PLP is just *that* stupid. After all they had two leadership races in about a year second of which was them trying to kick out Corbyn with no indication membership would support it.

I've been thinking this as the polls improve. In the Tory landslide scenario the Labour PLP will feel vindicated in not backing him properly. If Labour does OK (this is obviously relative/subjective!) on the back of a lefty manifesto and Corbyn's campaign, is it arguably worse? The arguments that Jezza is toxic and too left-wing will be undermined and if they still don't want to get in line and back him (spoliers: they won't) then will we have a whole parliament of even grubbier internal Labour politics?

Juicy Bob

Just had confirmation through that my parents' application for voting via me as a proxy has been accepted. That's two more anti-Tory votes to add to the tally. Not sure it'll make a differencw, but still worth doing.

empyrean

Fuck be boris is annoying as is peston interviewing him. Letting boris talk all over him and take it wherever he wants. Weak peston.

Jezbollah

I find it amazing they thought this manifesto would go through without criticism. A lot of there base are older as well and they fuck em over lol.

They're basically putting a shitty manifesto on the back of them being THE PARTY FOR BREXIT and hoping that people agree that Theresa May is a better leader for negotiations for the EU than "The buffoon" Corbyn.

The Tories are framing this as a Brexit election, with 80% (made up figure) framing on the impending Article 50 negotiations, and the rest on a hodgepodge manifesto, while Labour has treated this as a conventional election.

I don't know who to vote for out of lib dem and labour. In 2010 lib dem were more popular in my area than labour. Then 2015 the crashed and burned like all accross the country. However i have no idea if they have regained support or not. My heart says vote lib dem. But if a labour vote had better chance to block tory then my brain says thats better.

Its prob mute as its pretty much a conservative lock in my area. In which case i should go with lib dem prob.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/39990986

The Work and Pensions Secretary said: "We have set out the policy, which we are not going to look at again."

The Tory manifesto says elderly people requiring care in their own homes would have to meet the cost - but would be allowed to keep £100,000.

But a Tory think tank says it could be the "biggest stealth tax in history".

Tories are a mess *mic hit*

Ashes

Banned

It's one of those emotional ones that also has the potential to hurt those who consider a home a home rather than an asset belonging to their parent.

People who might have been rich a million years ago but now only have their home.

The equity release nature of it gives everyone a public face to complain about it too. The government​ seems to value marriage as a good relationship for society but a parent child relationship? Not so much.

I mean how many houses are worth less than 100,000 in London?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
It's one of those emotional ones that also has the potential to hurt those who consider a home a home rather than an asset belonging to their parent.

People who might have been rich a million years ago but now only have their home.

The equity release nature of it gives everyone a public face to complain about it too. The government​ seems to value marriage as a good relationship for society but a parent child relationship? Not so much.

I mean how many houses are worth less than 100,000 in London?

I would guess none. I don't know if there's many houses that are less than £100k anywhere.

I was trying to find a video I saw yesterday of a Labour MP explaining this situation and it really got to me. He was basically saying that older people will now be part of a lottery where those who get sick will simply hope to die faster so they can leave something.

Everyone should just tactically vote for a party which aims to replace our outdated and archaic FPTP method, that way we'll never have to resort to voting tactically again.

Mostly.

I also quite like this website (Tactical 2017). It is pretty good to share as it looks slick and is easy to use, plus you do not need to search for your constituency as it either takes your location from the browser or your postcode if not.

My local Lib dem is a trans woman (which I found out a day or two ago) and is actually someone I've watched fight for trans and equality rights before.

That plus 4 different sites telling me to vote Lib dem to remove conservatives where I live has easily settled my vote

Did anyone watch the Corbyn interview with sophy ridge on sky?

I thought he did really well but God damn was ridge trying her best to drag him down. Her refusal to accept his answer on the IRA was really infuriating.

It's like she was trying to reduce the argument to good vs bad instead of admitting it was a complicated issue. He condemned all the violence but that wasn't enough.

Otherwise his answers were good and he managed to shut her down in the end.

I also quite like this website (Tactical 2017). It is pretty good to share as it looks slick and is easy to use, plus you do not need to search for your constituency as it either takes your location from the browser or your postcode if not.

Yeah that is a better site. Same result though. Regardless im gonna vote lib dem. Been feeling they align with me the most for a while now.

StayDead

Same as here then

The conservative lead here is so high they haven't even bothered to send out any leaflets

Yeah same here (Hertsmere). Labour were about 20% behind last time, but this has been a conservative seat since it came around. I'm going to vote lib dem I think.

Boris Johnson wrongly claims £350m NHS promise is in manifesto

Asked on ITV's Peston on Sunday why the £350m was not in the manifesto, Johnson said: ”It is. It is. Theresa May, she said it at the launch of the manifesto ... She said we are going to take back control."

The political editor Robert Peston cried: ”Where?", but Johnson went straight into a speech about how the election was a contest between May and Jeremy Corbyn as leaders.

At the manifesto launch, May made a promise to ”take back control of [EU] structural funds and use them to strengthen our union and reduce inequalities between our communities".

However, there was no mention of any of this money specifically going to the NHS.

So many lies that Boris doesn't know what the truth even if anymore. That man will be negotiating with the EU post-Brexit. He also voted AGAINST the extra £350m a day to the NHS. Do you really want that?

Or would you prefer Keir Starmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom