• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst it is an dicey subject to talk about, when Corbyn talks about something he is passionate about, his speeches come with a lot of conviction. I suspect he will nail this speech tbh, and it may resonate with a lot of hurting people.

Moze

Banned
Corbyn has been 6/1 to be next prime minster for a while now. Labour majority is now at 12/1. Down from 25/1 when the campaign started.

Bookies are generally pretty clueless though. Not really sure what they are basing their odds on. Yvette Cooper was by far the favourite to be next Labour leader when I checked last week. There is no reality where that makes sense.

Whilst it is an dicey subject to talk about, when Corbyn talks about something he is passionate about, his speeches come with a lot of conviction. I suspect he will nail this speech tbh, and it may resonate with a lot of hurting people.

He's been giving this speech since he was in Sixth Form. Think Reagan when he worked for General Electric.

Theonik

Corbyn has been 6/1 to be next prime minster for a while now. Labour majority is now at 12/1. Down from 25/1 when the campaign started.

Bookies are generally pretty clueless though. Not really sure what they are basing their odds on. Yvette Cooper was by far the favourite to be next Labour leader when I checked last week. There is no reality where that makes sense.
Odds are based on bets. So it works kind of like a pot of sorts.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
As much as I agree with what corbyns saying about foreign policy, I think at best he'll get zero traction from this and at worst his reputation as a woolly liberal will mean this goes down really poorly with the general public who will think it means he's slagging off the troops or what's to hug a jihadist.

kmag

Corbyn should be making tomorrow (and the weekend) all about May cuts policing budget, and attempting to get that video of her talking to the Police federation front, left and centre.

Even the brexit means brexit fruitloops on the edges of my facebook feed are spitting blood about it.

If it gains proper traction, then it'll really hurt May, and she'll have to try to defuse it.

Pandy

If Scotland voted Labour at the same rate it did in 2010, that YouGov poll would have been 43% to 41% CON to LAB.

Just saying, Scots.
Have you SEEN the state of Scottish Labour recently? The SNP are more likely to support a Corbyn government than they are.

Those polls are too good. If it all goes to hell from here, I'm glad we've at least had this moment where we felt the impossible could happen. May deserves this for believing her own press and taking the electorate for granted. The election is too far away, though, to rule out a reversal.

TimmmV

Didn't the bookies get the 2015 election spot on?

I would be very hesitant to call bookies "generally pretty clueless"

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Gosh, Corbyn's speech is ambitious. Talking about his Libya vote and all. I know everyone's said it, but it really is make or break stuff. Can't fault him on having a mighty pair of balls.

Par Score

If Labour can tie together a coherent message about foreign policy contributing towards the existence of terrorism (thereby finally exorcising the ghost of Iraq) with cuts to police contributing to the failure to prevent specific attacks, then they could have a very effective message for the rest of the campaign.

Corbyn is very good on the foreign policy stuff, it's pretty much his raison d'être, so I have no problem with him tackling that. There's plenty in Labour happy to attack Tory cuts, so that shouldn't be an issue.

It's murky waters to tread so soon after a tragedy, but under murky waters lie fertile ground.

Theonik

I wonder how the papers are going to spin it. Predicting bile spewing is easy (and likely...).
I think the bile spewing is starting to lose its bite somewhat. There is only so much you can smear someone before people stop believing it. It's a dangerous road to take.

I think the only hope Corbyn has is if the papers decide to continue to stick it to May and focus on her cuts and dismissive attitude and allow Corbyns speech to add fuel to it.

Of course there are bound to be some that do call him a terrorist sympathiser. Hell, May's lie during the interview the other day about Corbyn wanting unregulated immigration seems to be picking up from Reading twitter so it's really unclear how it could all go.

Aki-at

Can't believe those voting intentions! I'm still expecting a Tory victory because every vote I voted in (2010, AV, 2015 and referendum) have resulted in a loss (Should have voted for Khan to break by losing streak!) but a reduced majority would still be pretty much egg on May's strong and stable message.

Corbyn's speech can go either way, really going to be how well he can resonate with the electorate.

Mr Git

Isn't his opinion on the Iraq war prior to it taking place not broadly accepted as fact now though?

One of the things I'm very fond of him for. He called it really, that intervention there would lead to a destabilisation of the region and an increase in radicalisation and terrorism. It's basically what most rational people were saying at the time but few politicians actually bothered to raise it. I'd love him to get in to number 10, unrealistic but it'd be refreshing not having a Tory or Torylite elected PM. It's been a while.

I'm registered to vote in a rural area, is there anywhere I can see polling from rural areas as to which party i should vote for? Like if Labour is ahead here I'll vote Labour, however if its Lib Dem i'll vote lib dem

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm registered to vote in a rural area, is there anywhere I can see polling from rural areas as to which party i should vote for? Like if Labour is ahead here I'll vote Labour, however if its Lib Dem i'll vote lib dem

We'd need to know your constituency to help you further.

jem0208

Wikipedia will have all the previous results for your constituency, probably best to check and gauge from there.

That speech is an awful idea. It's not what people want to hear at all.

parts of it, such as
“No government can prevent every terrorist attack. If an individual is determined enough and callous enough, sometimes they will get through. But the responsibility of government is to minimise that chance – to ensure the police have the resources they need, that our foreign policy reduces rather than increases the threat to this country and that at home we never surrender the freedoms we have won and that terrorists are so determined to take away.”
are pretty good.

The things about wanting the government to admit that the war on terror failed and the fopo bits, tho... not the time for that.

Shantom

I remember a Conservative majority was 10-1, as a friend made good money off that bet, so they didn't really get that one right.

Theonik

Bookies work like bad polls. They track sentiment by looking at betting.
People don't like losing money so bet sizes moderate with sentiment.

Putting 1 quid on a 10:1 would not move the needle much but I wouldn't put say 100 quid if I thought I would lose it.

Of course the odds themselves affect how people bet so it's not perfect, but it does give you some idea.

Moze

Banned

Nah, they got it terrible wrong. As did they with Brexit. I keep up with odds often because I do like to gamble quite a bit. I specifically remember the bookies having Miliband and Cameron at the exact same odds.

Brexit was 10/1 on the day of the election (before results came in). Remain was like 1/5 or something. I remember Trump being 4/1 on the day of election too.

parts of it, such as

are pretty good.

The things about wanting the government to admit that the war on terror failed and the fopo bits, tho... not the time for that.

We both know what the talking point will be after he says it. Regardless of the accuracy of his statements he becomes a terrorist sympathiser. That's going to be the narrative. He gives people far too much credit.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Corbyn seems to have issues regarding Northern Ireland. It's just how it is.

Will it matter to voters in 2017? Less so that it once would have, I'm sure, but that doesn't mean that it isn't holding back a few Labour votes.

Go_Ly_Dow

Corbyn seems to have issues regarding Northern Ireland. It's just how it is.

Will it matter to voters in 2017? Less so that it once would have, I'm sure, but that doesn't mean that it isn't holding back a few Labour votes.

Yup. I'm seeing a handful of people with backgrounds in the armed services being vocal about it on my FB feed.

Nah, a UKIP resurgence isn't going to happen. They're a single issue party that's outlived their usefulness, that's why they're down to 2% in some polls.

What's surprising me is the constant UKIP articles on the BBC. I can understand some and having to report on all parties but hardly anyone cares about UKIP now.

I've just read what corbyn is planning to say in his speech today. Although he's not wrong he is going to catch a load of shit for this. The right wing rags are going to have a field day with it

empyrean

I've just read what corbyn is planning to say in his speech today. Although he's not wrong he is going to catch a load of shit for this. The right wing rags are going to have a field day with it

Given the latest polls not sure why he is tackling the subject tbh. Unless May goes on the offensive about it then react but not sure why he wants to do this as I can only see down sides for him.

What's surprising me is the constant UKIP articles on the BBC. I can understand some and having to report on all parties but hardly anyone cares about UKIP now.

It's entirely based on their last election results, they have to give them time. Once this election passes, they'll never be heard of again.

I think he's completely in the right to run with it. If May missed so many things as home secretary, things that she was directly warned about, what does that say about her ability of running the entire country and leading Brexit negotiations? She's been out of her depth for the longest time and it seems only right to point it out.

Dougald

Corbyn isn't wrong, imo. I'm not sure how it'll play with the public, but like the manifesto I respect him for saying it. Man has convictions and he knows what they are.

Goodlife

"Thousands more deaths in Iraq will not make things right.

“It will set off a spiral of conflict, of hate, of misery, of desperation that will fuel the wars, the conflict, the terrorism, the depression and the misery of future generations.”

He's earned the right to make this speech and I've no doubt he'll nail it.

The right wing media might not agree, but fuck them, it's the right thing to be saying

Ashes

Banned
Think Tories are still going to win comfortably, but props to Corbyn for proving a lot of folks ( including my self) wrong.

mo60

Think Tories are still going to win comfortably, but props to Corbyn for proving a lot of folks ( including my self) wrong.

Depends on what you think is comfortable. I wouldn't call a 5-10 percent win margin for the tories that great if it does occur.

Uzzy

A small margin of victory that gives the Tories a majority of under thirty won't achieve much at all, other than giving the Tories two extra years. The Tories, not May.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
It is really hard to argue that Corbyn is wrong on this one. It is quite clear, including in Chilcot, that the Iraq war had an important effect on domestic terrorism and radicalisation. He also has a clear record on this issue that proves his credibility.

TrutaS

Speeches on this subject make me nervous for Labour. As Corbyn has been gaining a lot of momentum... It can go either way, but people will certainly pick sides. I wish he'd return to make his manifesto policies that people clearly love the centre of the stage.

TimmmV

As the EU referendum results were starting to come in, the bookies had odds of 15/1 that leave would win.

I remember a Conservative majority was 10-1, as a friend made good money off that bet, so they didn't really get that one right.

Nah, they got it terrible wrong. As did they with Brexit. I keep up with odds often because I do like to gamble quite a bit. I specifically remember the bookies having Miliband and Cameron at the exact same odds.

Brexit was 10/1 on the day of the election (before results came in). Remain was like 1/5 or something. I remember Trump being 4/1 on the day of election too.

I guess I remembered wrong - my mistake!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom