• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If Scotland voted Labour at the same rate it did in 2010, that YouGov poll would have been 43% to 41% CON to LAB.

Just saying, Scots.

Uzzy

Forget the Red Flag, here's our new anthem.

Soiuz nerushimyj respublik svobodnykh
Splotila naveki Velikaia Rus.
Da zdravstvuet sozdannyj volej narodov
Edinyj, moguchij Sovetskij Soiuz!

Slavsia, Otechestvo nashe svobodnoe,
Druzhby, narodov nadezhnyj oplot!
Znamia sovetskoe, znamia narodnoe
Pust ot pobedy, k pobede vedet!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

I don't recall Trump running for Westminster?

Hazzuh

I've watched enough Game of Thrones to know that this is only happening so that the 150 seat Tory majority on June 9th is even more disappointing and depressing.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I've watched enough Game of Thrones to know that this is only happening so that the 150 seat Tory majority on June 9th is even more disappointing and depressing.

It's okay though, because Clive Lewis shacks up with Kathryn Blair by the end and they ride Trident north to stop the Scots crossing the Wall.

He's giving a speech tomorrow about how foreign policy influences terrorism. If they keep going up after that, who the fuck knows what can happen.

My expectations are still set to zero.

Hazzuh

Not sure this Labour rally will survive to election day..

One might have expected the general election campaign to resume in a softly-softly fashion following the Manchester bombing. But Jeremy Corbyn's speech tomorrow morning will lead to some of the most vigorous political debate we have seen in recent times.

Corbyn will say ‘Many experts, including professionals in our intelligence and security services, have pointed to the connections between wars our government has supported or fought in other countries and terrorism here at home.' Suggesting that UK foreign policy bears responsibility for terrorist attacks here just days after a terrorist atrocity has killed so many children is, to put it mildly, controversial.

Now, Corbyn will add that ‘That assessment in no way reduces the guilt of those who attack our children. Those terrorists will forever be reviled and held to account for their actions.'

But his reiteration of the blow-back theory of terrorism will cause a massive political row. The Tories, who had been reluctant to attack Corbyn too directly on terrorism in the wake of the Manchester attack, will no longer feel the need to be restrained. In the next 13 days expect to hear a lot about the anti-terrorism measures that Corbyn voted against, his sympathy for the IRA and his previous willingness to call Hamas and Hezbollah ‘friends'.

Corbyn's argument seems particularly ill-judged in the light of Monday night's attack. The fact that a concert aimed at young women was specifically targeted is a reminder that these terrorists hate us not because of a particular foreign policy decision but because of the way we live our lives, and how our society is organised. To pretend that this is about Anglo-American policy in the Middle East is deluded. Corbyn's failure to understand this, and his desire to find a way to blame the West for what is happening, is one of the many reasons that Corbyn isn't fit to lead a political party, let alone be Prime Minister.

I know lots of people hate the spectator but it was the best article I could find.

Dabanton

Corbyn's an unelectable, jam making, IRA supporting, Britain hating commie and he's only five points behind May.

What are the Tory press going to throw at him now?

They've tried everything they've had to step very,very carefully the last few days the Daily Mail was very subtly looking for a way to tie him to the sickening bomber. The Sun had that IRA frontpage the other day, which of course got them pulled up on..

But today questions are being asked why security was so lax and this is one thing the right wing press can't blame on Labour as the current Prime Minister was in charge.

So when even right wingers are asking why security in general was so lax under the watch of May. You can see trouble ahead.

If I was Corbyn I'd go for the police cuts link to Theresa May, especially given her declining approval ratings and trust in past week rather than the foreign policy line, which can be easily swatted away when you realise France stayed mostly out of the war on terror and Iraq and has seen horrific attacks.

The sad thing is that Corbyn is right but it's such a touchy subject and many people react on instinct and could see it as taking away the responsibility of the attackers.

I wish him luck and hope people focus more on the tory failures instead.

Empty

If I was Corbyn I'd go for the police cuts link to Theresa May, especially given her declining approval ratings and trust in past week rather than the foreign policy line, which can be easily swatted away when you realise France stayed mostly out of the war on terror and Iraq and has seen horrific attacks.

agreed. it's about destroying her myth of competency - running on such a shit manifesto the 'theresa may is strong and stable and will deliver brexit' brand is literally all she has.

that footage of her being told about this by a manchester policeman is a great example of how she fucked up. if corbyn goes big on it all the tv and radio stations have to cover it.

I remember the last campaign where it looked like Miliband was starting to pull even (or slightly ahead) and then the Tories went in hard with the whole "vote Labour, get SNP" messaging in middle England and killed him. Corbyn needs to be ready for some serious aggression from Lynton Crosby as the campaign picks up again - it would be an absolute embarrassment to walk into a campaign with a 20 point lead against an opposition widely perceived as hopeless and only win by 5 points.

King_Moc

Banned
If labour somehow wins this calling a election might be the biggest backfire i've ever seen

I'm still 100% convinced it won't happen, but my utter dread of an incoming whitewash and a horribly strong right wing tory government is fading slightly.

Since this campaign started I've really warmed to Corbyn. He's been excellent. Shame about the cabinet though.

A cursory glance at BBC news comments on Facebook leads me to believe this is a mixed issue.

The real teller will be Sky News comments.

Such a barrel of laughs, they are.

*shudders*

Spaghetti

I remember the last campaign where it looked like Miliband was starting to pull even (or slightly ahead) and then the Tories went in hard with the whole "vote Labour, get SNP" messaging in middle England and killed him. Corbyn needs to be ready for some serious aggression from Lynton Crosby as the campaign picks up again - it would be an absolute embarrassment to walk into a campaign with a 20 point lead and an opposition widely perceived as hopeless and only win by 5 points.
Unless Corbyn has some serious skeletons still waiting in his closet... they may have exhausted their ammunition on him some time ago.

Isn't his opinion on the Iraq war prior to it taking place not broadly accepted as fact now though?

True, more about how it's reported though. Iraq was a mistake - but it doesn't mean the punditry angle won't be "wishy washy Corybn doesn't want us to attack ISIS"

sphagnum

Banned

It's...it's so beautiful...

True, more about how it's reported though. Iraq was a mistake - but it doesn't mean the punditry angle won't be "wishy washy Corybn doesn't want us to attack ISIS"

The other issue is if it gets reported in a way to imply that soldiers have died meaninglessly.

I'd hope that he delivers a good speech, but I'd also be happy to criticise him if it comes across as crass in anyway.

I expect there to be some kind of Brexit shit show drummed up if they need to hit the danger button. There will be some issue where we can play hardball on for the sake of being bastards and she'll throw herself on it like a fly on shit.

I think what has worked for Corbyn is what worked for Sanders, you have an outsider with a strong, progressive message and while the establishment have thrown everything they can to stop him his messages has resonated with a population who are waking up to the failures of the current government.

The hardest part is that because of the time constraints and the media attacks you have to build yourself up slowly and hope something big doesn't stop you in your tracks.

I just hope they can ride the awareness from the social plans and attack the tory failures in all aspects to continue the wave of approval and turn things around. Now we just cross our fingers and hope Corbyn can withstand whatever they throw at him and focus on the message. If that happens we could see a historic result.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
considering Labour were dead and buried two weeks ago I'd say the message is getting through. Not convinced it will translate to votes but it might not be the 200+ majority.

Go_Ly_Dow

Fuck fuck fuck, I don't wanna get hopeful but it's too late.

We have 2 weeks to create noise, get young voters off their seats and challenge flimsy Conservative voters.

Let's not waste this chance.

GO GO GO!!!

Reading through the #bbcqt tweets and it's sad to see half of them are going all out on any Form of understanding towards the motivations of terrorists.

Makes me worry for Corbyns speech.

Theonik

Labour 38% believe.
Choo choo

The people's flag is deepest red,
It shrouded oft our martyred dead
And ere their limbs grew stiff and cold,
Their hearts' blood dyed its every fold.

So raise the scarlet standard high,
Beneath its shade we'll live and die,
Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer,
We'll keep the red flag flying here.
:D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom